A MURDER IN SUNNYDALE



Chapter 25: ‘The Getaway!’


A/N: This is a long, long chapter…divided into two parts. I hope you readers keep with the whole chapter as there is a ‘twist’ in the second part. Thanks, luv Spuf





“Buffy! I just can’t believe you’re going to just run off and spend the weekend with Spike! At a winery no less,” Dawn yelped loudly.

“Oh pulease,” Buffy snarled softly, “I hope you havent been listening to Xander and all this ‘Spike is evil’ crap he’s been spewing out.”

Dawn and Buffy were sitting in the nursery, watching the miracle that was Connor Summers Crawford sleeping soundly. They were discussing Buffy’s ‘love life’ with Spike and drinking hot cocoa, just like their Mom, Joyce used to make them.

“I’m so not starting with any negativity, Buff,” Dawn giggled. “Frankly, I’m thrilled to death for you both! I think it’s great that you found true love, at last!”

Buffy gave her younger sister a dubious look, then glanced back at the little angel, Connor, sleeping in his Sesame Street decorated crib. ‘Why would Connor and Dawn buy my baby nephew a ‘Count’ stuffed doll for his crib,’ she wondered for the tenth time. ‘Anything of the stuffed toy kind from Sesame Street, but the ‘Count’ for God’s sake. How morbid, really.’

“I am so serious, Buff,” Dawnie squealed in delight, yet again, “this guy is the real thing this time. I feel it, know it. I do!” The dark-haired girl nodded happily. “You two, Spike and you, you are so in love with each other, I can tell!”

“Spike loves Buffy…..Buffy loves Spike,” Dawn began to sing-song in her off key voice.

“Dawn Summers Crawford, for God’s sake,” Buffy tsked, “you’re nearly twenty-six-years-old and a mother. Grow up!” Buffy shook her head in exasperation, but grinned despite herself.

‘Yeah,’ Buffy thought, rather happily herself, ‘we do love each other. This is the real deal, Dawnie, totally. Just don’t want to jinx it by admitting it to the family yet.’

Dawn stuck her tongue out at Buffy, exactly like a five-year-old would do. “Don’t care,” she whined with a goofy grin, “I still say you and Spike worship each other. That you can’t live without each other, nah-nah-nah-nah-nah. So there!”



Before getting to Dawn and Connor’s, Buffy had stopped by Anya’s dress shop to buy some new clothes for the trip. That and some much needed new lingerie to take with her.

When Anya saw Buffy eyeing the more naughty underthings, Xander’s girlfriend chuckled wickedly. “Thank God,” Anya had declared as she yanked the teddies and undies from the show case and tossed them to Buffy.

. “It’s about damn time that you, Buffy Summers, got your freak on and really enjoyed a sex partner. But,” Anya smiled kindly, “I think this is more then just mutual orgasms for you and the Brit, huh? I’m seeing some real down home, hot loving between you two. Am I right?”

Buffy nodded, almost shyly and with a warm blush that ran from her neck up through her face. “Yes,” she murmered as she had held up a stunning little teddy, if you could call it that. Actually, it was more like a scrap of red lace.

“It’s just that we’re moving too fast, I’m afraid, anyway,” Buffy stammered as she eyed herself in the dressing room mirror. “I don’t know, I’m just scared, I guess. Of getting burned again.”

“Right,” Anya hummed, “like I don’t know that feeling. But, I think this guy really likes you, hon, really. Xander can’t stand the guy, so this Spike must really love you!”

Buffy chuckled amicably, “yeah, I believe he does, but…..”

“How do you feel about him?” Anya asked, almost non-chalantly.

“I’m crazy about him, okay,” Buffy sighed in response. “And yes, he does love me, I know it. I just hope we’re not moving too fast, you know? I’ve never felt this way for anyone, not this fast anyway.”

“Yeah, there’s a lot to be said for long, long engagements and all,” Anya retorted, sarcastically. “But, shit, then again, look at Xander and me. He’s strung me along for years and I still keep comin’ back for more. Idiot that I am.”

Buffy’s friend sounded so sad, suddenly, that Buffy felt just awful for her. “Xander’s an ass,” she piped up, “a big one.”

“Anya,” Buffy reached out and patted the woman’s arm, “Xander loves you. He’s just confused, scared, you know? Wants to make sure he doesn’t screw up, the way his folks did with their marriage and all. He’ll come around. In fact, I think he’s really woke up lately, don’t you?”

The woman nodded and held up another red teddy, this one even skimpier then the other, if that was possible. “You have so got to take this with you, Buffy,” she ordered with a grin.

“Oh, and Buffy,” Anya continued, “about this guy of yours. If he loves you, like he apparently does? And you love him, like I can see you do? Then, hey, just go for it. Don’t screw this up, Buffy. Take a chance for once and really live. I’m betting that this guy is the one for you and you just can’t let this chance slip away from you.”





Dawn giggled wildly as Buffy held up the lingerie, she had bought earlier that day, in front of her and paraded around Connor’s room.

“Thank God your son is asleep,” Buffy suddenly halted her mock modeling, “I wouldn’t want this scary scene to traumatize the poor kid. Later in life that is.”

“Of for crap’s sake, Buff,” Dawn hissed, “my kid could care less what you do. He’s not even two months old for Pete’s sake.” The younger woman rolled her eyes, then gasped when Buffy pulled out the last red teddy she’d bought at Anya’s.

“Shit!” Dawn howled with glee. “That’s gonna’ give your guy a freaking heart attack, Buff!”

“Dawn, for God’s sake, quit swearing in front of that kid,” Buffy grumbled as she glanced over to make sure her nephew was still asleep. He was, thank God.

“All right,” Buffy checked her watch, “gotta’ go. I’m dropping by the jail to check on Amy in an hour. Then, I meet Will at my place by 3:00. After that, it’s off to Santa Barbara and all that wonderful wine! We were going to ride the Harley, but I nixed it. Hope Will’s not too mad, but I just felt like taking a real car, you know?”

“Yeah,” Dawn nodded, but Buffy noticed her sister was not smiling anymore.

“What’s wrong?” Buffy asked, confused by her sister’s change in attitude.

“You know,” Dawn began cautiously, “I just think maybe you should kind of cut your losses, where Amy’s concerned, you know Buff?” The younger woman looked over at her son, still asleep in his crib. Buffy recognized the attempt to avoid her, on her sister’s part.

“Maybe it’s time,” Dawn stammered out, “that you give up this ‘guardianship’ role you’ve taken on for yourself. For Amy that is. Why exactly are you so concerned with Amy St. Claire, anyway?” Dawn finished with a puzzled expression, her dark brows scrunched together.

“I can’t give up on Amy, not now, Dawnie,” Buffy murmered softly as she folded up the lingerie and put it all back in her bags. “It’s something I have to do, help Amy that is. It’s not something I can explain to you, not at this time, maybe someday, but, I just couldn’t go out of town for a weekend without checking on her first. She’s stuck in that cell, away from her son and the people who truly care about her. It just tears me apart inside to think that she’s there, in jail, and the real killer is running around free.”





A/N: Part II of this chapter follows below. I wanted to put a kind of ‘warning’ in this before you start to read it. The following section of this chapter may not quite make sense, at first, but I think it will by the end of it. Yes, there’s going to be a twist, this is a mystery and all. (Although, the real mystery to me is why ME allowed Spuffy to go so off track in season 6, but hey, I didn’t write the show, right?)

Anyway, I wanted to alert readers to the fact that this next part is going to be rather, shall we say ‘sketchy’ and kind of jumps ahead. I promise, there is a reason for it and I hope you enjoy. Thanks, luv Spuf


Part II:


“This was a truly brilliant idea Will,” Buffy gushed as she snuggled into her lover’s wonderful, naked body. “You are a genious!”

Spike chuckled and nuzzled Buffy’s golden head with his lips. “I think so,” he mumbled into her soft hair, an unseen smirk on his mouth.

“I don’t think you’re a genious, I know you are, baby,” Buffy purred and kissed his neck, gently. “I can’t remember when I just went somewhere, for fun and to relax like this. Thank you so much, William,” she whispered into his neck, then gave it a little nip.

“I love you, Princess,” Spike murmered into her warm little ear, “I’d take you anywhere you want to go, if you’d let me. And, yes, I imagine you don’t do things like this enough. Get used to it, baby,” he lifted her face up, so their eyes could meet. “I intend on spoiling you rotten from now on.”

Buffy blushed bright red, for some reason by William’s sweet words to her. ‘Damn, he’s fine,’ she thought to herself, again. ‘And even better,’ she grinned at this thought, ‘he’s all mine.’

Spike and Buffy had only been in the hotel room in Santa Barbara for a few hours, as it was still just Friday night. The ‘Inn’ actually, set on a bluff that overlooked the Pacific Ocean and was just breathtaking. Their room was quite private, something that suited both of the couple just fine. After the busy day of Buffy’s, and the hour drive up the coast to SB, they decided to have room service.

Well, after dinner, naturally, they decided to ‘rest’ for the remainder of the evening. The only time they got up from bed was to wander out onto the balcony and sip wine, or just talk and hold hands.

Buffy was in heaven and Spike appeared to be right up there with her. “Mmmmmm,” Buffy hummed softly as Spike ran his fingers down her bare arm, making her tingle all over.

“I love you too,” Buffy whispered suddenly, as if she needed to make up for not repeating the words, earlier to him.

“Yeah, I know you do, sweetheart,” Spike grinned down at her, devilishly. “Good thing you admitted it too. Wouldn’t want to have to kidnap you, carry you off to some far away land and ravish you until you finally came to your senses. Well, actually,” he paused for a moment with a smirk, “I would love to carry you off somewhere to a far away land and….”

“Oh, you’re so full of yourself, Will,” Buffy giggled like a little girl. This made Spike smile even wider, “There’s that giggle again,” he gushed. “I love your giggle, Princess. I want you to laugh and giggle all the time. I’ll see that you do, promise.”

On Saturday, Spike and Buffy spent hours at the Seaside Winery. They had made up a picnic lunch, bought bottles of wine and ate out on the rolling green hill that surround the winery itself. It had been a wonderful day, for both of them.

Buffy was sitting, naked, cross legged and silent on the bed, watching Spike intently. He was switching the channels of the TV, looking for a football match. Out of the corner of his eye, Spike could see Buffy’s luscious mouth begin to form into a pout.

Spike switched off the TV and tossed the remote to the floor beside the bed. “Okay, baby,” he sighed heavily, “what’s wrong with my girl?”

Buffy allowed him to take her in his arms, sighing the whole time herself. “I’m just sad, we have to go home tomorrow and I just love it here. Guess I’m just going to miss all this and our time together. I know,” she mumbled with a red face, “I’m being a spoiled brat and all.”

Spike laughed loudly, “Good!” he exclaimed, “I want you spoiled, and bratty for that matter. You’re incredibly hot when you’re acting bratty baby. And, by the way, we are in no way going home tomorrow,” he stated firmly. “You, my love, are going to call into work, tell them you’re still out of town until Monday morning. Then you’re going to tell them you will be late into work Monday because your man refuses to allow you out of this hotel room."

Buffy began to laugh wildly and literally leapt onto William’s naked body. They started kissing passionately, but when Buffy tried to break away and run her lips down William’s chest, and lower, he held her fast.

“I really do love you, Buffy,” he rasped, desperately, his face so serious and honest. His blue eyes were almost blue/black with desire and emotion. “It scares me, sometimes, how much I love you and need you, baby,” his voice had nearly become a whimper.

“I really love you too Will,” Buffy whispered back.. She wanted to tell him just how much, but he had already pulled her mouth back to his and started kissing her all over again, frantically.


Monday morning came much too soon and Spike and Buffy reluctantly left the hotel and Santa Barbara to return to Sunnydale. Especially after their ‘magical’ Sunday of their getaway. Buffy was already going to be late for work and Captain Wilkens, her superior had not been happy about that.

Frankly, however, the two lovebirds could not have cared less what the hell anyone back in Sunnydale thought. They were in love with each other, deeply and after their ‘getaway’ weekend, nothing would be the same for either one of them again. Both Spike and Buffy realized this, embraced it and celebrated it. In a good way, of course.

Buffy had Spike drop her off at her apartment, then head back to his hotel room. He needed to pick up some of his things for that night at Buffy’s and check in with Wesley.

After he’d left, Buffy hummed as she checked on her apartment, making sure the plants were okay. Listening to her phone messages. She had never been so content, tranquil or even happy in her life and it was all thanks to her William.

A loud knock came at her door, and for some reason Buffy just assumed it was Will. She threw the door open, without checking to see who it was.

“What? You forget something, baby?” she laughed as she looked into Angel’s dark, sullen face.

“What the fuck do you want?” Buffy gasped out loud at the offensive man in her doorway. Before she could slam the door, Angel strode into her apartment as if he owned the place.

“Need to talk to you, baby,” Angel stated evenly. “I have some information for you, thought I’d bring it myself. You’re so special to me and all.” He was almost smirking and the tone in his voice could only be described as condescending.

“I don’t want any information from you Angel. Get out,” Buffy growled and pointed at the door.

“Nope,” Angel said stubbornly as he flopped on her sofa. “Somebody needs to give you a wake up call, sweetie,” his dark eyes looked almost gleeful and Buffy suddenly felt almost queasy.

“Let’s see, I suppose that it turns out that Amy is a terrorist or something? Or maybe that she’s the head of a mafia sect? Just what the hell do you want? Or better yet, give me the ‘411’ and get the hell out of my place.” Buffy was livid by now, but a part of her was somewhat curious as to what Angel had to tell her.

“No, actually, Buff,” Angel began rather smugly, “it’s about your boy toy, Billy. Found out some interesting information on him, thought you should know. You and me being such old friends and all.”

Buffy felt her tummy sink and suddenly, her vision became blurred. ‘Don’t believe him,’ she immediately told herself, ‘this jerk would do anyting to get back at both you and Will, don’t buy it.’

“What information,” Buffy asked weakly, not even looking at Angel, or the paperwork in his huge hands. Then, without thinking, Buffy reached out and grabbed the papers from Angel, noticing he didn’t fight her too very much.

“Read it and weep, sweetheart,” Angel nodded, a little too happy to be bringing such bad news. “Seems your boy, Spikey, did a real bad thing, a while back. Killed one of your kind, he did. A cop in England. There’s a lot more on that sheet, sweetheart,” Angel chortled merrily. “Spike’s a real bad boy, when he wants to be. But hey, maybe he really did care about you and all, just started out evil. Maybe he can change, for you? Or, then again, maybe not,” Angel added smugly.

Buffy almost passed out right then, but she steadied herself and sat on the comfy chair. Without acknowledging Angel, at all, for the moment, Buffy began to read William Williamson’s rap sheet from London, England.

Before she got to the second page, Buffy looked up at Angel in shock, tears filled her green eyes. Suddenly, Buffy truly hated Angel O’Connor, really, really detested him.

‘Maybe you hate Angel so much,’ Buffy thought in sad shock, ‘because he’s been right about Will all along.’

“Where did you get this,” Buffy asked weakly, her voice barely audible.

“Doesn’t matter, but I’ll tell you this,” Angel responded firmly, in that patronizing tone of his that Buffy just hated. “There’s more to old Spike’s visit in Sunnydale then to just make sure Holden gets justice. That and to fuck you senseless.”

Angel stood up and haunched down in front of Buffy, his handsome face was twisted into a mask of sadistic glee.

“Seems, Buff,” Angel purred, “that Spike’s ‘family’ sent him over here to do more then just ‘seek justice’ for Holden. They sent your fuck buddy over here to ‘seek revenge’ on the killer. That would be Amy, apparently, so I guess, hey, I was right, huh? Got that little bit of information from the same guy I got this rap sheet on your lover boy from. He’s very reliable, this guy I know and I thought you should know the truth. How convenient for Spike Williamson to come here, meet you, huh?”

“Makes it all that much easier to kill off poor little Amy when it’s time. You and Amy being so close and all. Wow, look at the fringe benefits that old Spikey got when he took you on? He gets to fuck you and plot murder at the same time. I gotta’ admit, Spike’s pretty fucking slick, Buff. It takes a pretty good talker to get into your…..”


Buffy swallowed hard, trying to keep a sob from escaping her mouth. Her traitorous tears began to spill from her green eyes and she had to force herself to actually breathe.

“Get out,” Buffy choked out at Angel, “get the hell out of my place and never show your ugly face here again.”

Angel looked shocked by Buffy’s reaction, “but Buff,” he stuttered, suddenly quite unsure of himself, his self-satisfied expression wiped from his face. “I just wanted to help you. Make you see what you’ve gotten yourself into with this guy. I mean I actually care for you, baby.”

“Get out,” Buffy growled like a female wolf, low, gutteral and very dangerous. “Get the fuck out of my sight you bastard!”

Angel hesitated for a moment, then stood up, reluctantly and shuffled out of Buffy’s apartment. He didn’t even slam the door this time when he left.

Buffy sat frozen, in shock, for a few moments. She forced herself to take some breaths, since her chest felt like someone had kicked it, hard. Her mind was a swirl of emotions, but three stood out at the present: a sense of anger, betrayal and pain. Definitely pain.

“I’m so fucking stupid,” Buffy hissed out loud, tears began to pour down her face, “stupid, stupid, stupid!” She wailed, suddenly and tore the papers Angel had given her to shreds, then threw them, angrily at nothing in particular.

“I’ll kill him,” Buffy choked out, “I’ll fucking kill you Spike,” she repeated, enraged. Grabbing the phone, she desperately dialed Spike’s hotel phone and got the voice mail.

After taking a deep, unsuccessful calming breath, Buffy began to speak into her cell:

“You fucking bastard,” she hissed, trying not to let the tears in her voice be heard. “You lying piece of shit, stupid coward! I wish I’d never met you, William, never. On that note, I never want to see your face again, you lousy murdering son-of-a-bitch. Take your lies, your sweet, wonderful, fucking poetic lies and shove them up your English ass.”

She clicked off the phone and threw it across the room, content when it hit the wall and broke into pieces on her cream colored carpet. Buffy began to sob, wail actually and fell to the couch, her body shaking from misery and pain.

“I hate you,” she sobbed loudly into the plush material, “I hate you, you fucking lying bastard!” Buffy almost began banging her head against the throw pillow beneath it, but stopped short. That would have been just to much, even for her.

After about ten minutes of this madness, Buffy sat up and wiped her tears with the back of her hand. She glanced about her apartment, her eyes falling on the still unpacked suitcase from her and Will’s trip. A new plan formed in her addled mind.

Fairly calmly, Buffy reached for her home telephone and dialed Giles at his office. She was greatly relieved when the older man answered his own phone.

“Giles,” Buffy whispered into the phone, not trusting her own tearful voice. “I need a big favor from you.”

Spike was in a state of desperation, mixed with shock and rage. He had done some business, come back to the hotel and stripped down to take a shower before taking a nap. Just before he got in the shower, he checked his hotel room phone messages.

By the time he’d finished listening to Buffy’s frantic message to him, he was in a state of shock. Quickly dressing, Spike nearly ran to the elevator, swearing all the way down to the first floor.

He had sped out of the hotel parking lot, headed straight for Buffy’s place, only to arrive and find her Porshe gone from it’s parking spot. Spike then called Wesley, begging him to help find Buffy, as soon as possible.

While Wes did what he was best at, detective type work, Spike called his Buffy’s work. She was not there, nor did her Captain on the force know where she was. He only knew that Buffy was gone for a few days more. In desperation, Spike even tracked down Xander Harris, Buffy’s partner, but to no avial. Buffy was no where to be found.


Somehow, Spike ended up at the Sunnydale Police department. He frantically hurried into the building, ignoring the odd looks from the people milling about there.

Once he reached this Gile’s floor, Spike was past angry, he was frantic and enraged, even he could feel the anger just radiate off of his body. Without asking Giles’ receptionist, or waiting to be invited, Spike stormed into the old man'’ office.

If Rupert Giles was surprised to see him, Spike didn’t notice, he was too fucking pissed, and worried about Buffy.

“Hello, Mr. Williamson,” Giles greeted him with a forced smile and did not bother to stand up.

“Name’s Spike,” Spike growled at the man and did not bother to sit down.

“Where is she Giles,” Spike asked the man in a low dangerous voice. “Where’s my Buffy? And where the fuck did these lies someone must have told her come from?”

Giles sighed and removed his glasses, which he began to clean on a tissue. With a shake of his graying head, Giles frowned and motioned for Spike to sit down.

“I’ll stand, thanks,” Spike growled at the man. “Now, tell me where Buffy is,” he ordered again. “If she told anyone where she was going, or why, it’d be you mate.”

“Mr. Williamson,” Giles used Spike’s formal name again, “I truly do not know who or what ‘someone’ told or showed poor Buffy about you. However,” he hesitated for moment, another quick frown, “I do know that you have hurt Buffy, terribly. She did say something about you lying to her, betraying her, and murdering a police officer. After that? I probably know less then you do.”

Spike groaned and finally sat down in the offered chair, he felt tears begin to form in his eyes.

“Where is she?” he asked Giles again, this time in a much calmer voice, closer to a whine. “I have to talk to her, get this straightened out. She could of at least heard me out, after all we….”

“Maybe you should just leave Sunnydale, Mr. Williamson,” Giles sighed again. “If you would return to England, leave Buffy to heal and move on? I think soon that dear Buffy could put this unfortunate affair of yours in her ‘mistake’ file and go on with her life. She’s a strong woman, Buffy is. However, I think you should be a bigger man, leave and go back home. Stay away from Buffy, completely. That is, if you truly love her, as you say.”

Spike just stared at this clueless, bloody moron, his blue eyes were narrowed into slits by this time and he had to take another calming breath.

“I’m not going anywhere, mate,” Spike hissed at Giles, “not without Buffy. This ‘affair’ as you called it, is no mistake. In fact, you bloody moron, it’s not even an affair. Not any more that is.”

Giles, to his credit, looked completely confused as he met Spike’s stare with his own puzzled one.

“I don’t understand, Mr. Williamson,” he began carefully. “What is your relationship with Buffy, if not a love affair?”

Spike leaned up to Gile’s huge oak desk and smiled, at the old boy, almost affectionately.

“Buffy and me,” Spike said quietly, “we didn’t just enjoy the beach in Santa Barbara, or drink high class wine, Giles old boy. We took vows, mate. We’re married good and proper, in front of God and a bona-fide preacher.”

Spike ignored the shocked expression on the older man’s face and stood up to lean his hands on the desk.

“Now,” Spike began again, calmer, a more controlled tone in his strong, deep voice, “where the bloody hell is my wife?”


A/N: Well, well, well…..seems that Buffy and Spike did do more then drink wine, walk on the beach and shag each other senseless.

I truly hope no one calls me out on this, I assure you, it’s necessary for the plot. Spike and Buffy are married, yes, I know it’s a little ‘out there’ for Buffy to do such an impulsive thing but, hey, this is Spuffy, right? I hope readers will be happy with this turn of events and please review??? Writers love reviews, good, bad or indifferent! Thanks, luv Spuf