A MURDER IN SUNNYDALE


Chapter 26: ‘Giving You The Best…’


A/N: Thank you to everyone who is reading this. Thank you to all of my reviewers. Luv, Spuf


Buffy Summers-Williamson lay in the cozy king sized bed and stared at the ceiling above her. She was, as they say, ‘absolutelyfucking’ miserable in that big, comfy bed. Especially alone as she was, without her husband beside her.

“Bastard!” Buffy hissed up at the ceiling, for the umpteenth time that day. “He lied to me, betrayed me and used me. Just like all of them,” she reminded herself once again.

“Oh, God Will,” Buffy groaned in pain, “if you’re like all the rest of them, why does it hurt so damn much more?”


Spike leaned over Rupert Giles desk, his dark blue eyes bore like lazers into the older man’s pale blue hued ones.

“Where is my wife, Giles?” he asked in a low, dangerously controlled voice.

“I…” Giles began, almost timidly, “I had no idea that you and Buffy were,” the man gulped, visibly, then continued, “married?”

Again, Rupert Giles took off his wire-rimmed glasses and began to clean them, vigorously.

Spike realized that this was a nervous habit of the man’s, like his own cigarette smoking. This, Spike could appreciate, truly.

Giles replaced his glasses to their rightful position, then scrunched up his brows in thought. With a sigh, he reached for his police force anniversary pen and quickly jotted down some directions on a piece of paper.

“I am giving you this information,” the older man began in a cautionary tone, “because I feel you deserve to see and talk to your wife. I had no idea that Buffy and you took vows, as she felt it unneccessary to tell me. However, Mr. Williamson, okay,” Giles blushed slightly, “Spike. I have come to the conclusion, a while back actually, that our Buffy needs to stop running from her problems and face up to certain facts in her life.”

Spike sighed, silently, in relief. ‘He’s a good, solid bloke,’ the blond admitted in admiration. ‘I think he sees that I love my Buffy, immensely. Would never hurt her, not purposely anyway.’

“Yes,” Giles continued, his tone was stern, but yet affectionate, “I love Buffy Summers. Well, Buffy Summers-Williamson, very much. Like a father I dare say. However, the girl has to come to grips with her actions and the consequences of those actions. She’s always been a bit too skittish and all. Needs to settle herself down and take responsibility for the things she says and does.”

“She is rather a brat, at times,” Spike interjected, lovingly.

“Yes,” Giles smiled at Spike with a sense of comraderie, “our Buffy can be a bit of a brat when she so chooses. I guess that’s what makes her so, well, interesting?”

Spike took the directions of his destination from Rupert Giles and smiled warmly. “Thanks, mate,” he said evenly.

“The house, that Buffy’s staying in,” Rupert pointed at the piece of paper, now in Spike’s possession. “It’s my wife’s and my summer cottage, in Pismo Beach. About two and a half or so hours north of here. Buffy asked me to borrow it for a few days, to think. Suss things out, so to speak. Of course I could never refuse her, and Jennifer, my dear wife? She’d rather die then refuse Buffy Summers, uhm, ur, Williamson that is.”


Buffy got up from the bed she had occupied for the last two hours. She needed to walk about, think and suss things out. Just like Giles had advised her to do. Of course, she had not told her mentor that she was now a married woman, again.

‘What the heck would old Rupes say to that?’ she wondered to herself. Buffy grabbed the cottage house keys and shuffled out to the front walkway, then the beach just a few yards from the front door.

As she walked along the shoreline, Buffy thought about the last few hours, and days, and weeks. Her thoughts wandered to the first night she and William spent together, in bed that is. Then she fast-forwarded to the next day, when he nearly broke her door down and demanded to talk to her.

Buffy tried to remember just when it was that she had an inkling of the ‘secrets’ that William had been hiding. There was the time she mentioned being a cop, her stealth movements and all. He’d flinched, Will had, at the mention of stealthness and being a cop, like herself.

While she thought of those ‘hints’ that she had been afforded, Buffy remembered some other things.

‘He never once lied,’ she thought to herself, sorrowfully. ‘Not once, did he lie to me. I just never asked the right questions, that’s all.’ Her heart felt like it was breaking and Buffy decided to return to the lonely, borrowed cottage.

‘Always alone,’ she sighed in self pity. ‘I am truly, utterly alone in this world.’ A tiny, annoying voice deep down inside of her whispered, ‘only because you choose to be, Summers. You weren’t alone, remember? Just a day ago, you had the freaking world by the tail. You gave it up, didn’t you? Because a worthless piece of shit like Angel O’Connor ‘said’ that your husband was using you? That he lied and betrayed you? Come on Summers,’ the voice continued, relentlessly, ‘face facts. You could have, no, make that should have stayed in Sunnydale and faced your husband. Asked him straight up if all these accusations were true.’

Buffy walked back to the cottage and entered it, almost looking for her husband to be about. She sighed, sadly, and flopped down on the comfortable sofa that Jennifer Giles had so lovingly placed there. With a switch of the remote, Buffy flicked on the Oprah Show and tried to concentrate on the latest guest.

“Oh, how amusing,” Buffy spouted, sardonically, “Anita Baker, the singer.”

If Buffy didn’t admire Anita Baker so, or Oprah for that matter, she would have switched the channels or even turned off the telly (oh shit, Will’s words ‘telly’ and all!) completely. However, Buffy did just love Anita Baker and Oprah, so she was totally tuned into the show.

Baker was prattling on about how she’d been out of the business for almost ten years and such, due to personal issues.

“Personal issues,” Buffy mimiced, but with a purely sarcastic tone, “I get that, Anita.”

Oprah was encouraging her guest to get up and sing one of her older songs. Of course, Anita Baker couldn’t turn down Oprah…..who the hell could?

‘Switch the channel, or at least turn the TV off,’ Buffy’s intuition cautioned her. But no…..Buffy just had to listen to Anita Baker warble one of her classic hits.


‘Giving You The Best That I Got’
(Anita Baker from the CD of
the same title)


‘Ain’t there something I can give you
in exchange for everything you give to me
Read my mind make me feel just fine
When I think my peace of mind is out
Of reach.’

“Oh God,” Buffy muttered defensively, “let’s just rub Buffy’s nose in it, why don’t you?”

‘The scales are sometimes unbalanced
And you bear the weight of all that has to be
I hope you see that you can lean on me
And together we can calm a stormy sea’

“Yeah, that’s me, all right,” Buffy whispered to the empty room about her. “Unbalanced, certainly not a lean on kind of gal here.”


‘We love so strong and so unselfishly
And I tell you now that I made a vow
I’m giving you the best that I got, baby
Yes I tell you now, that I made a vow
I’m giving you the best that I got, honey’


“Vows, Buffy,” she reminded herself, a tinge of sorrow in her voice, “you and William, you took vows.”


‘Everybody’s got opinions’

“Oh shit, yeah,” Buffy chuckled softly, “just don’t they though?”

‘Bout the way they think our story’s gonna’ end
Some folks feel it’s just a superficial thrill
Everybody’s gonna’ have to think again…..

‘We love so strong and so unselfishly
They don’t bother me, so I’m gonna’ keep on
Giving you the best that I got, baby
They don’t bother me, said I’m gonna keep on
Giving you the best that I got, listen baby….


‘Somebody understands me
Somebody gave his heart to me
I stumbled my whole life long
Always on my own, now I’m home….’

“I’m home,” Buffy whispered in awe, the meaning of the words being sung finally really hit her. “With William, I am truly home.”


‘My weary mind is rested
And I feel as if my home is in your arms
Fears are all gone, I like the sound of your song
And I think I want to sing it forever’


“Never gave him a chance to explain,” Buffy murmered to herself, guiltily. “I never once said, to him ‘tell me the truth, I’ll listen, try and accept it.”


‘We love so strong and so unselfishly
And I made a vow so I tell you now
I’m giving you the best that I got, baby
I bet everything on my wedding ring
I’m giving you the best that I got,
Givin’ it to you baby.’


“Well, Anita,” Buffy whispered as she fiddled with the new, unfamiliar gold band on her left ring finger, “you sure as hell can sing lady.” Then Buffy promptly burst into tears.


When she finally got herself back together, calmed down more, Buffy finally turned off the TV. She tossed the remote on the couch, almost indifferently, beside her. She glanced at the clock on the mantel piece and noted that it said nearly 4:00 PM.

“Oprah’s almost over anyway,” she sniffed sadly. “I wonder what Will’s doing right now?”




Spike, or, rather Will as it were, was at that very moment speeding up PCH (okay, Pacific Coast Highway) in his rented Mercedes Benz. The moment Rupert Giles had fessed up as to where his wife, Buffy, was, William Williamson was off. A man on a mission to woo his own wife and win her back.

“Bless you Rupert Giles,” Spike sang out as he hit the gas pedal and sped even faster up the highway to his heavenly destination. Of course, if his wife, Buffy, so chose, it could turn out to be a hellish destination instead. It was, ironically enough, all up to Buffy Summers-Williamson.

Precisely at 6:30 PM, Buffy decided to call up information and find a pizza place that delivered. Frankly, she was just too damned tired to go anywhere to eat, and she knew she had to have something to sustain herself. Will would want it that way. Buffy to eat that is.

“I really hate California,” Buffy sighed as she paid and then tipped the pizza delivery guy. “No one, I mean no one should be alone in California. Especially near the beach.” With a heavy heart, Buffy began to pick at her ham and pineapple pizza. “Why the heck would I order ham and pineapple pizza?” Buffy wondered out loud. “I hate ham, detest pineapple and only mildly like pizza?”

Buffy sat at the breakfast bar of Rupert and Jenny Giles’ cottage home. She picked at her pizza, half-heartedly, and sipped the red wine, quite enthusiastically. Anita Baker’s ‘Giving You The Best’ CD was playing on the Giles’ stereo system.

“This is disgusting,” Buffy sighed as she tossed the cold pizza slice onto the paper plate in front of her. “I’m disgusting,” she whispered sadly.

She stood up and began to pace about the front living room, the expensive crystal wine goblet still in her tiny hand. Glancing out the open bay window of the cottage, the one that faced the Pacific Ocean, Buffy took a long, hard swig from the wine.

“Tomorrow,” Buffy murmered as she stared out the window and downed the wine in one gulp, “tomorrow I’m going home. “I ‘am’ going to face William, like a real adult, married woman would and talk this out. I owe him that, William that is, and myself.”

“I only hope that Will still wants to ‘talk’ to me,” she surmised, another lone tear slipped down her warm cheek.


Spike pulled up in front of the unobvious, but cozy looking little cottage that belonged to Rupert Giles. ‘There’s that God awful Porshe,’ he whispered in total relief. ‘She’s still here,’ he reassured himself, nearly in tears.

Reaching behind him, to the back seat, he picked up the huge, bouquette of roses that he’d chosen for his Buffy. With a deep, calming breath, Spike got out of the Mercedes and headed up the walkway to the cottage’s front door.

‘Please talk to me, baby,’ he begged silently, ‘let me explain, please.’

Buffy heard the light tap at the front door, it broke her out of her sad little reverie. ‘Who the hell is that?’ she wondered, a little fearfully.

Quickly, she strode to the front door and looked out of the peep hole. The man she saw in the doorway literally took her breath away, again.

Spike knocked lightly on the door, again, noticing the peep hole and hoping that Buffy would still let him in. Even after she saw it was him. ‘Christ,’ he hissed, sarcastically, ‘I mean, I am only her fucking husband for God’s sake!’


He, Spike, was almost stunned when Buffy actually opened the door and faced him. His girl, just stood there, momentarily, staring at him in disbelief.

“Hi,” she finally whispered softly, never breaking their gaze.

“Hi,” he responded, just as softly, following her lead and keeping their eyes connected.

Buffy motioned William into the cottage and closed the door behind them. She pointed to the sofa, nervously, her green eyes flitting about the room, everywhere but on him.

“You left me,” Spike whispered hoarsely, his tone was a study in controlled accusation. “You left me, after our wedding day and never gave me the chance to explain. Whatever the fuck it is I’m supposed to be explaining that is.” He crossed his arms in front of his chest, his blue eyes were narrowed into slits.

His wife, who had finally sat down on the couch next to him, actually took his hand in her tiny one. ‘She’s taking the initiative for once, the first move,’ Spike realized, happily.

“I,” Buffy began weakly, then found her stronger inner voice, “I left because I’m a coward, Will.” She hung her head, her eyes began to fill with tears.

Spike reached up with his left hand and pulled her chin up, gently, to force their eyes to meet.

“You are the most brave woman I’ve known, Princess,” he murmered softly. His indigo eyes were filled with sincerity and honesty, and love. Always love for her, Buffy.

“Will,” Buffy began again, her voice low and serious, “I need to know. About your past, all of it. Someone,” she flinched when she saw him cringe, “okay, Angel showed me some papers on you. Some kind of rap sheet of your past and…..”

Spike fought the urge to scream at his wife, angrily. ‘Angel, no big fucking surprise there,’ he thought, nearly enraged. ‘Bet the fuckface planned the whole thing, to split Buffy and me up,’ he was getting angrier by the second. ‘Well, too bad, Forehead Boy,’ this sudden ‘O’Connor’ moniker brought a smile to his face, ‘I’m not letting my wife go, especially over some bullshit you put a spin on and tried to use against us.’

“I’ll tell you everything, baby,” Spike whispered as he ran his left hand, tenderly, down her right cheek. “I love you so much and I’ll tell you anything you want to know, but I want you realize something, sweet.”

Buffy looked up into her husband’s blue eyes, trying to hide the roller coaster emotions within her. He was smiling down at her, his ‘I love you more then life’ expression on his face.

“What’s that?” she asked, a little unsure of his answer.

“Well,” Spike murmered softly, pulling her to his body, “no matter what you ask. No matter what I tell you, baby,” he sighed deeply, “I’m not going to let you leave me again. Ever.”


A/N: This chapter was supposed to be like twice as long and have Spike explaining everything to Buffy. But…..I changed my mind and decided to begin the Spuffy reconcilliation scene, then end the chapter! I’m a brat, huh? Don’t fear, we know that our duo will ‘suss’ things out. In the next chapter, Spike ‘will’ explain the accusations in Angel’s papers and maybe open Buffy’s eyes even more. Yes, the next chapter is going to ease the angst of our Spuffy couple! (not to say that there will not be problems ahead for our couple in future chapters!)

Anyway, please read and review. I am intending on updating on a daily, or every other day basis from now on. Thanks. Luv, Spuf