A MURDER IN SUNNYDALE


Chapter 29: ‘Already Knew’


“Dawn, It’s me,” Buffy greeted her younger sister from her cell phone. “I, uhm, need to tell you something.”

Spike and Buffy were driving down PCH, going South, headed back to Sunnydale. Since the Mercedes that Spike had driven up to Pismo Beach, to win back his wife, had been rented, he dropped it at the nearest rental office there. At the present time, he was speeding down the highway in Buffy’s atrocious hued Porshe, playing the loudest bunch of ‘noise’ as his wife called it, on the CD player.

“Pull over! And for God’s sake, please turn that crap down! Who the hell is this?” Buffy screamed above the loud guitar of the music. Like a good husband, Spike reluctantly did what he was told.

“That’s the bloody Sex Pistols, luv, best punk band ever and….” Spike responded, defensively. He couldn’t understand how anyone, especially his own wife, could call the Sex Pistols’ prose ‘crap.’

“There,” Buffy sighed evenly, “yeah, I’m still here Dawnie,” she stated, giving her husband the evil eye, but grinning all the same “Yes, Dawn I’m with William and yes we’re on our way home.”

“Good thing,” Dawn giggled on the other end of the line, “Dad talked to Giles, and I don’t know what was said? But whatever it was, Dad’s called me 10 times, wondering what the hell is going on with you and William?”

“We’re married,” Buffy blurted out, suddenly. “Will and me, we’re married, Dawn.”


“Oh, My God!” screamed Dawn in delight, “Connor!” she cried happily, “get your ass in here. Buffy married the Brit! Isn’t that the greatest?”

“Are you pregnant, Buff? Are you pregnant?” Dawn yipped, apparently just thrilled with Buffy’s news.

“No,” Buffy responded, firmly, “I am not pregnant, I assure you.”

Spike smirked at Buffy and said loudly, “not for bloody lack of trying, I assure you, little sis.”

“All right that’s enough gushing,” Buffy slapped jokingly at Will, a mock frown on her mouth.

“I wanted to tell you first, Dawnie, kind of practice, you know, for Mom and Dad?”

“Oh for crap’s sake, Buff,” Dawnie groaned, “you’re thirty-years-old. You don’t have to please Mom and Dad all the damn time! In fact, isn’t this supposed to be the ‘Buffy’s a big girl now’ phase for you?”

Buffy blushed and glanced over at Will who was watching her, a wicked gleam in his blue eyes. She shrugged and admitted that she had to agree with Dawn. After all, she was a grown woman, free to do her own will, no one else’s.

After Buffy hung up from the call with Dawn, she slipped the cell back into her purse and stared out the window. She was deep in thought.

“She’s right, you know?” she finally whispered. “I spend so much damn time trying to please everyone else, I forget that I’m an adult and I get to make my own decisions.

“I think you’re learning, Princess,” Spike leaned over and placed a kiss on her soft lips. “Why don’t you wait to call your Mum and Dad until we get home. Might feel more right at home, where you can really talk to them, especially your Mum.”

“What about you?” Buffy asked shyly, “when are you going to call your family back in England. Let them know that you’re married?”

“Already have, sweetheart,” he grinned at her warmly. “Called my parents first thing when we got home that last time. And before you ask,” he smirked proudly, “they think it’s grand that I’ve settled down, with the right woman that is. Apparently Wesley thinks quite highly of you too, told my family not to be too surprised by you and me getting hitched.”

Buffy sighed, suddenly quite relieved and contented. “My folks will be happy for me too,” she murmered with a nod of reassurance, “that’s all they want, for me to be happy.”

“Well, I intend on seeing that you are, baby,” he reached over and pulled Buffy to him, kissing her tenderly.

She pulled away from him, briefly, “we should get home, Will,” she adivised quickly. “I am so wanting to get to the murder scene and open that vanity and I know you’re itching to do the same thing, right?”

“Yeah, you’re right there, luv,” he sighed. “Just hope it won’t be a hassle to get into Holden’s apartment. “I guess you probably have carte blanche, but me?” He scrunched up his dark brows and thought for a moment.

“I’ll get you in,” Buffy assured him as she wrapped her arms about him and kissed his mouth, softly. “I’ll figure out a way to get you in, even if I have to tell a little white lie, or a big white lie. You are so going to be there to open that lock.”

“Besides,” Buffy reasoned out loud, “you’re my husband now. I can certainly take my husband with me to find something personal that I left at the scene. Right?” she grinned mischieviously at him, leaned into him and kissed his mouth.

“You keep kissin’ me like that, baby,” Spike growled lowly, “and we’ll never make it back to Sunnydale, much less to the vanity.” He started the car again and headed out on the highway, home to Sunnydale.

Once they arrived back in Sunnydale, Spike drove them straight to Buffy’s apartment.

“What about your hotel room, honey,” Buffy asked, puzzled. “Your things, they’re still…..”

“Already out of there,” Spike chuckled and winked at Buffy. “Thought I’d move in with my wife, if that’s okay? Or, if you’d rather sub-let your place, you can, we’ll check back into the hotel and live like movie stars. It’s up to you.”

Buffy began to giggle loudly, “you had it all planned, huh? Already knew, before you ambushed me in Pismo that I’d take you back?”

“No,” Spike answered honestly, “just hoped for the best and acted accordingly.” He smirked and kissed her funny little nose before he jumped out of the Porshe and hurried to her side of the car.

When she got out, she scurried to open the trunk and grab their stuff, but Spike stopped her. “Forget that, for now, Princess,” he purred into her ear. “We’ll get them later, better things to do with my wife then haul luggage upstairs.” He grinned at her and raised his brows, quite suggestively.

“Okay,” Buffy whispered, a little awed when reminded that she was truly a married woman. “But I do need to call my Mom and Dad. Giles insisted I be the one to tell them, he hasn’t told anyone at all about us being married,” she finished.

Before she could turn and head upstairs, Spike swept her into his arms and carried her all the way up. Opening the door to ‘their’ place himself.

“Buffy?” came a soft, concerned female voice from behind them.

“Oh, hello Mrs. Wiggins,” Buffy grinned at her nosy neighbor, but blushed at the same time.

“This is my husband, Spike, I mean William Williamson. Just got married,” Buffy explained to the inquisitive old woman.

“Pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Wiggins,” Spike nodded at the old dear, with a wide smile.

“Oh,” Mrs. Wiggins finally smiled back at the couple, “congratulations,” she gushed, sincerely. “But, I believe I know you, Mr. Williamson. Aren’t you the one that works with that nice, handsome young man, Mr. Wesley? Isn’t it your ‘gift’ that Mr. Wesley has sent…..”

“Gotta’ go inside Mrs. Wiggins,” Spike spat out quickly as he dissapeared with his wife into their place.

“Will?” Buffy sighed slightly as he sat her back down on her feet.

“Yes, luv?” he asked sheepishly, knowing full well that Buffy was going to ask about the ‘gift’ and how Mrs. Wiggins knew him.

“Explain, please,” Buffy ordered gently, her arms crossed over her ample chest. A very ‘stern’ expression on her face. “About Mrs. Wiggins and how she knows Wes?”

“Well, baby,” Spike began, carefully, “you see it’s like this. I met you, fell head-over-heals in love at first sight with you. Had to find out some data on you so I had Wesley, you know, Wes is the best at getting information and I.….”


A/N: Just a little fluffy Spuffy before we get back into the mystery of the vanity/list. I’ve been so down lately that I wanted to write some schmaltzy stuff. Oh, of course we know that Buffy will ‘overlook’ Spike’s nosing about in her business before they were an item! Thanks for reading and please review.

Oh, and for those reading ‘Na Grach Croi’ I have writer’s block with this one. I want to be careful just how I write the next chapter because it’s the one where Spike finds out about Buffy’s past. Thanks, Luv, Spuf