A MURDER IN SUNNYDALE


Chapter 32: ‘More Names, Named’


Buffy Summers-Williamson realized, of course, that in the grand scheme of things, Sunnydale, California was probably not so ‘grand’ at all. The things that happened there, the day-to-day happenings, were not only pretty common, but probably pretty mundane, for the West Coast that is. Compared to say, Los Angeles, Frisco, or even San Diego? Sunnydale, CA was probably a 1.5 on the Richter Scale of eventful shakeups.

However, at the moment, Buffy could not help but feel that the ‘little drama’ playing out in the Summers-Williamson apartment may just turn out to be ‘big’ as in really of the ‘big’ time. Apparently, her new husband, William, might just agree with her. His face was pale as hers, she was sure and he seemed reluctant to continue reading the almighty lists that his errant cousin Holden had left for him.

“Baby,” Spike whispered softly as he tucked a golden strand of her soft hair behind her right ear, “like I said. Maybe we better finish this up tomorrow morning. Kind of mull the stuff around we’ve read?”

Buffy shook her head, stubbornly, “no,” she hissed, firmly. “I want to know everything, right now. No waiting, no mulling, no kicking things around in our heads. I’ve been in the dark for too fucking long. It’s time for the ‘light’ to come on and all the dirty little secrets to be exposed. Like the cock roaches they are, at least, most of the dirty little secrets that is.”

“Go on,” Buffy ordered harshly, but she ran her fingers down Will’s chiseled cheek, lovingly, despite her uneasiness.

“Okay,” he sighed deeply, “I’ll read on then.”


(More reminders: Holden’s writings are in apostrophes, to separate them from the other text. Spike and Buffy’s ramblings will be in normal punctuation)


‘Spike, believe me when I tell you that you have always been my ‘mentor’ my ‘Yoda’ so to speak. I love you, man, but not in a girly way, okay? (A little humor here to break up the drama)’

Spike couldn’t help himself, he rolled his eyes at Buffy, illiciting a half-smile from her. ‘At least she can still smile,’ he surmised, in some awe of his wife. ‘Damn, what a woman,’ he reminded himself.


‘Spike, the following name(s) are necessary to list, although, they are not so very important in the big picture. Cops, at least in Sunnydale, CA, are like lottery tickets. Most can be bought for a song (or an extra few grand a month) and the following of Sunnydale’s finest were no exception:

3) Francis Doyle:

Not a real big player, no, but a handy little rat to have around, believe that. He’s got the face of an angel and the soul of a demon. This guy would sell his Grandmother for a dime and then ask for change.


“Altar Boy?” Spike inquired of his wife, his left brow raised up in question. “Thought he seemed too ‘angelic’ to be real. Knew me on sight, he did.”


“No surprise there,” Buffy commented, almost indifferently, “like you said, baby,” she nodded at William. “Doyle pegged you the minute he saw you. There just had to be a reason for that.”

4) Owen Parkinson:

This idiot is not a real ‘worry’ to anyone. But, he is a wiz at computers. His expertise at pharensics is outstanding and has come in handy for me, and others.

I paid off his student loans a few years back and he’s been a loyal lap dog since. Owen looks stupid, but he’s not. He’s a God at numbers, a lot like Wes, but not adverse to cheating at anything. Unlike Wes.






‘There are more, faceless morons who’d follow Satan into Hell if they thought it would get them an extra buck in their Christmas stocking, or, their name in print in the Sunnydale Times. On the side of the good that is. However, their names are catalogued and listed by ‘service dates’ and their different services, on the third document.


I thought, Spikey, that I would list just a few of the ‘elite’ members of the Holden Webster School of Higher Enlightenment. The names are probably pretty unknown to you, but believe me, they are ‘stars’ in the Universe that is Sunnydale.


1) Robin Wood:

This guy, well, he was at one time a real stand-up business man in the community. Owned and managed a real estate company, donated to the right community charities. All that shit, you know. Pillar of society and all.

His own Mother, Lisa Wood, was a solid, strong woman who happened to be a cop. Back in the 70’s. Unfortunately, when old Robin was about 4 or so, Lisa was killed, on duty and he went to live with his father, who was divorced from Mom. Robert Wood was a good man, by most standards. Fortunately, Robin did not follow suit of the folks. Fortunately for me, that is.

I bought Robin Wood off with a promise to donate a $100,000.00 to the local Youth Center and a shot, for him, at one of my more ‘interesting’ female friends. Of course, he took me up on it.

At the present, Wood is a City Councilman and the loving husband of Kendra Wood, and a doting father to two lovely children. He would be pretty inconvenienced by any allegations of his ‘connections’ with me.


‘I would never lie to ‘you’ Spike. Never, not even if it served my purposes in the long run.

I want you to read on and learn a little something, or maybe not. You’ve experienced the more corrupt aspects of the legal system, especially in Merry Olde London and all that shit. The problem is, this is not England; Uncle Walter, your Dad, is not in charge here and if I’m dead? Then I have no real power anymore, well, maybe I do, right? These lists of mine might prove to be some kind of ‘legacy’ after all and I need you and Wesley to protect the papers, with your lives, if need be.’

“Will,” Buffy whispered in a soft, almost strangled voice, “don’t stop. Please. I need to know, we both do.”


Spike pulled his Buffy to him, her little, tight body was so warm and willing. So his, she was, after all.

“Okay, baby,” he murmered, “I’ll read it, but I need you to be strong. I need you to believe me, know that this is my family. Not me.” (This is a real big, hint; anvil; dropping stone from the sky of Spuffy fiction here. This is a ‘peek’ by proxy of omen, to the next fiction I am writing. Hehehehehe. Sorry, I’m a little dickens, can’t help myself).

“Read it,” Buffy ordered again, her hand clasped in Will’s.


‘Spike,’ Holden began again, ‘remember when we were kids? Well, okay, at least pre-teens, you and me? You were always the big man in the heirachy. I was the little fish, so to speak. When you went off to school, I was lost, like a fuckin’ lamb, misplaced in the field. But then, miraculously, you came back to the fold, after your 17th birthday. I never asked, no one ever explained, but I didn’t give a fuck. You were back. With the family, with me, my best friend and all that shit.’


“Wow, he really did look up to you, huh?” Buffy mumbled, her head now buried into Will’s shoulder.

“I guess,” Spike responded, “whether he should have or not. Old Holden was kind of a hero-worshiper. Even if I was his hero.”

“Will?” Buffy’s muffled plea echoed through the living room. “Please, read on.”


‘Although I’m not the fair-haired boy that you are, Spike, old man. I am more of a Webster/Williamson then you’ll ever be. I can’t fault you, really, for wanting to get the fuck out of our family's’ grips. Their strangle-hold. I have to admire you, for breaking away from the shit that is our ‘family’ and making your own way in the world.

So, on that note, I’m going to list a few names, more, that might give you the ‘ace’ up your sleeve that you’ll need to protect yourself, our family and yes, my son and his mother.

Oh, by the way, if you haven’t checked out the sweetness that is Buffy Summers? Give it a go, man. She’s a hot little number, the kind of woman a man wants and has to have. But, again, I never stood a chance in fucking hell with her. You, however? Might have a sporting shot.’


“Are you sure you didn’t read this before we, uhm, you know?” Buffy asked seriously, but not necessarily too seriously.

“No,” Spike, grinned wickedly, “but I have to say, my cousin was a pretty astute bloke. I guess he knew I’d fall head over heels in love with you. Bless him, for that, that is.”

“Hmmm,” Buffy purred, kissing her husband on his soft, pouty lips. “Thank God for astuteness, huh?”

He grinned again, then began to read the next paragraph of the text.


‘Ever wonder why I never got ‘pinched’ dear Cousin?’ Holden asked in his writings. ‘I’m a God at chaos, deceit and corruptness, yes, but the truth is……I could not have done it without my wonderful ‘brothers’ in sin.

There’s this person, in the DA’s office. He didn’t start there, of course, but with a few strings pulled, the right connections and oh yeah, a beautiful woman? Angel O’Connor fell from grace like Lucifer on a good day.

Our Angel, as he’s called, was an apple just ripe for the picking. He even dated sweet, angelic Buffy Summers. I, of course, couldn’t have that. She was necessary for ‘other’ things and Angel wasn’t a real stand up guy. Especially not for her.

I persuaded Angel to ‘take up’ with Darla Walsh, the District Attorney’s only child. Don’t get me wrong, old man Walsh was never a part of the plan, but his daughter? She was always a little on the devious side. A real whore at heart and a great ally, for me.

Once Angel was seduced to the dark side of Sunnydale, it was just a matter of time before he fell completely. I wheedled him away from Buffy. Not an easy task, but a necessary one. Had him in Darla’s bed before a wink of the eye and married off to the little slut, post haste.

Angel always had a yen for power and money. He was not a saint, that’s for sure, but then again, who needs saints? I always preferred sinners.

It served us all well. Darla got a rising ‘star’ of a husband; Angel got his meal ticket and Buffy got rid of the fucking ape man that is Angel O’Connor. Believe me, Buffy is and will always be better off without Angel O’ Connor.’

Spike watched the reaction from his wife. She sat, quietly, for a moment, her brows scrunched up in thought, or sadness, or confusion. He couldn’t be sure, but she seemed to be almost relieved.

“Read more,” she hissed, her voice was cracked and unsure, kind of. “Do it, Will,” she commanded again.

“Buffy, please,” he pleaded again, “I can stop now. We’ll…..”

“No!” Buffy growled, “read more. I don’t care anymore. I just want the truth, no matter how much it hurts. Who it hurts.”


‘I am a bad, rude man, Spike,’ Holden continued. ‘I have seduced, twisted and manipulated more girls, boys, women and men then anyone could think possible. Fuck, I’d sell our own sweet Granny for a buck, and I’m not lying here.

I have to warn you, Cousin of mine, that you have to be very, very careful with Angel O’Connor. He’s all class and upright, uptight propriety on the outside. On the inside? He’s a monster at heart. Lacking a true soul, no conscious whatsoever. If anyone is a danger, to you, Wesley, our family? More importantly, to my son and his mother? It’s Angel O’Connor. This fuck wants to be King of the Universe. Okay, maybe Emperor of Sunnydale.


Watch Riley Finn, too. He’s off in the ‘City of the Angels’ for the moment, but he’s not all that forgiving. I know he never forgave me, for fucking up in that Tom Ford mess. No matter how much Finn is to blame, himself, he’ll never accept that. He’ll never accept the fact that he allowed his wife to expose herself and their child to danger. Too much of a fucking boy scout for that.’


“I’m sorry, baby,” Spike murmered sadly. “Sorry for everything Holden did to you, to your ex and friends.”

Buffy pulled Will’s head to her chest and stroked his blond hair, “doesn’t matter anymore,” she offered, honestly, “it’s you, me and whatever children are in our future together. I won’t look back, Will,” she sighed, “I can’t. I want to move on, with you, with our future together.”

Spike nipped at his wife’s covered, ample breasts, gently, “what say we stop all this past secrets revealed shit? Have another glass of wine, flop into bed and shag each other into oblivion?”

“Normally,” Buffy giggled in near exhaustion, “I’d take you up on that. But we need to finish this, tonight Will. I don’t think I can sleep, not at all, knowing there’s more on these lists and that there’s more damning evidence against the so-called pillars of Sunnydale society.”

He, Spike, grinned up at his amazing wife. His wonderful sexy, beautiful and overwhelming wife of just a few days.

“Who said anything about sleeping?” he asked with a smirk.

“You,” she began with a smirk of her own, “are incorrigible and just naughty. But, I’m crazy in love with you, Will,” she admitted with a blush.

“Good thing,” Spike grinned again, “cos’ I’m crazy in love with you, baby.”

“Okay!” they exclaimed in unison, their eyes locked in a loving gaze.

“We’ll ‘rest’ tonight and get up, first thing. I’ll make a great breakfast and….” Buffy was on a roll here, she ticked off the wifely duties she’d perform in the AM.

“Fuck breakfast,” Spike growled as he stood up from the couch, his wife securely enscounced in his arms. “We’ll make love, all night,” he purred, carrying Buffy to the bedroom. “We’ll make love, all night. Get up in the morning, and okay……we’ll eat something!”

His smirk revealed exactly what Spike intended on eating in the morning. Buffy began to giggle, uncontrollably.


“Okay,” Spike relented, “I’ll make ‘you’ breakfast,” Spike stated, quite firmly, “and then we’ll read more of the ‘Chronicles of Holden Webster’ and all that nonsense.”

“Will,” Buffy sighed against her husband’s chest, as he carried her into ‘their’ bedroom. “You are a God, do you know that?”


“Maybe,” Spike chuckled heartily, “but I should be. My wife’s a Goddess and anything less then a God for her husband? That’d be bloody ridiculous.”


A/N: In the next chapter, Spike is going to ‘surprise’ Buffy with a wonderful gift and this will bring in a new furry non-human character to the plot line. Hint: The new character will be somewhat spotted and have a ‘cold’ nose and have big, lumbering paws! Okay, it’s a puppy, all right! Can’t help myself, had to throw that in there! We need a little ‘silly’ distraction for our couple and all. Thanks, and please read and review! Luv, Spuf