A MURDER IN SUNNYDALE


Chapter 35: ‘It Had To Be A Man’


“Baby?” Spike whispered to Buffy in the dark of their bedroom. “You awake still?”

Buffy was wide awake and snuggled in closer to her husband’s warm chest. “Yeah,” she murmered in response, “I’m really awake.”

They had gone to bed, soon after Hank and Joyce Summers had left the apartment and headed back over to Connor and Dawn’s house. That’s where they, Hank and Joyce, would be staying while in Sunnydale. The Crawford home had more room and besides, Buffy’s parents did not want to intrude on the newlyweds.

“Pretty bizarre, huh?” Spike asked in a hushed tone. “About what your Dad said?”

“Yeah,” Buffy repeated, still a bit stunned at Hank Summer’s input into the Webster/McClay murders. “It does make sense though, honey,” she sighed. “That a male killed them and what his motivations might have been. I’ve just detested Holden Webster for so long, that I jumped right in and chose to blame his lifestyle for the murders.”

Spike flinched a bit, then shrugged, “I get that,” he admitted to Buffy. “Holden was a bloody monster, at times, no question. I guess we all just took it for granted that it was his fault for the murders. Who would have guessed it might be his woman’s connections that brought this all on them?”

“True,” Buffy laid on her back and stared at the ceiling, deep in thought. “It seems plausible that all of this new information makes sense, but still, it’s going to be hard to convince Angel and everyone else. They all seem so intent on hanging poor Amy out to dry.”

“You know,” Buffy continued with hesitation, “I wonder if there’s something the DA’s office is holding back from us. The investigators, the press and the good citizens of Sunnydale? Something ‘major’ in this case that we’re not hearing about?”

“Could be,” Spike responded evenly, “sorry Princess, but your cohorts on the force don’t seem real bright at times. And after finding out just how many cops and other so called pillars and such of Sunnydale are so corrupt? It’s anybody’s guess why anyone is withholding any info on this case. From you, your partner, the Captain and even Rupert Giles? Personally,” Spike continued itching for a smoke, “I wouldn’t be surprised if half of SunnyHell is mixed up in this mess.”

Buffy hurried into her office at the precinct and immediately punch dialed Angel O’Connor’s office phone number.

‘You are so gonna’ sing like a canary, Angel,’ Buffy hissed as she waited for his bimbette secretary, Harmony was it, to ring her through.

“Hello Buffy,” came Angel’s silver tongued voice from over the line.

“Angel,” Buffy responded curtly, “before this gets too friendly, let’s get down to police business. What the hell is the DA’s office holding back? What is it that you’re not telling Xander and me? Captain Wilkens? You know, the entire Police Department?”

“Nothing,” Angel lied smooth as silk. But, Buffy could tell a lie, at least by now anyway, from a hundred yards or further.

At that moment, Buffy decided to play her Queen card and hope Angel would show his Ace.

“Angel,” she began coyly, “rumor has it that it had to be a man that killed Holden and Katerina. Heard that one?”

There was silence from the other end, then, “now why would that be Buff? I mean why would ‘anyone’ be so sure that the killer(s) were males?” Angel was cool as a cucumber, Buffy had to give him that.

“Oh, just a little detective expertise and all,” she mumbled, just loud enough for Angel to hear. “My Dad, you remember Hank? Well, he swears that the killer is most likely a male of the species. Dad’s the best, as far as detective work goes, you know? I’m thinking that this might throw a wrench in your little theory of Amy St. Claire and ‘jealousy’ right?”

“Don’t be too sure, babe,” Angel snipped in response. “I know what Daddy Hank is going for? The fact that Katerina took it in the gut and not the head? The old ‘don’t destroy the beautiful broad theory’? And, oh, it had to be a guy, huh? He’d never shoot the lovely Kat in the head, to messy and ugly.”

Buffy cringed at Angel’s crassness, but swallowed hard and continued firmly.

“Something like that, but no matter. I know you Angel,” she muttered, “you’ve got something up your sleeve. You’d never walk into a courtroom, empty handed and without some backup evidence. What I don’t understand is, that you haven’t thrown this ace up your sleeve at me? Especially since you know I’ve backed the dark horse since day one. The horse you think fixed the race, so give it over, now, Angel. Tell Buffy just what it is you’ve been keeping hidden.”

Angel hesitated, momentarily, then sighed. “I’ll tell you, be glad to, sweetheart,” he answered evenly. “But, I’m afraid you won’t like the ‘ace’ I hold on this case. Especially since it fits the picture of a woman scorned and all. Amy had a lot of reason to hate Katerina, a lot. Katerina was living the life of Riley (no pun intended) with Holden Webster. It looked like, surprisingly, that the rat bastard, Holden, was prepared to marry Katerina McClay.”

Buffy sighed in exasperation, “why, because he was such a commitment kind of guy?” She couldn’t help but be abrupt and impatient, this was going on way too long. Frankly, Buffy was weary of hearing Angel’s stupid voice.

“No, not really,” Angel snapped back, smugly, “but Katerina had upped the ante a bit.” He seemed to pause, just for dramatic affect, or so Buffy thought.

“Katerina McClay was preggies, Buffy. At least two months along and already picking out the nursery colors. Amy St. Claire was pissed beyond pissed, I’m sure. I mean, her own bastard son could get left out in the cold and…..”

Buffy didn’t respond in shock, didn’t even gasp in surprise at what Angel had told her. Or in the cold-hearted way he did it. She just took a deep breath and repeated the mantra she had begun when this whole mess had started.

“Amy St. Claire would not hurt a flea. Much less a pregnant woman and her child. She’s a fucked up mess, emotionally that is. I mean Amy, but kill a mother-to-be? Never.”

Before Angel could reply, Buffy slammed the phone down and dropped into her office chair.

“Asshole,” she hissed at the phone, almost wishing Angel could hear her. “Prick is a cold-hearted asshole, that’s for sure!”

After a moment or two of deep thought, she picked up the phone again and dialed Will at their apartment.

‘Our apartment,’ she thought warmly, ‘sounds nice.’

When he answered, Buffy greeted him quickly and then asked…..

“In Holden’s will? What provisions did he make for Katerina McClay. Or, for that matter, any potential offspring together?”


“Well,” Spike paused, trying to remember just what his cousin had left to Katerina McClay. “It didn’t seem important, at the time, baby,” Spike explained. “To Wes or me, considering the girl is dead now too. What’s this about?”

“Katerina was pregnant, Will,” Buffy sighed sadly. “Presumably with Holden’s child and this ‘is’ the information Angel’s office has been covering up. I guess they were going to throw it out there, at Amy’s trial. You know, the old woman is jealous of the pregnant new lover…yada yada. This just gets worse and worse. I mean, a pregnant woman, murdered?”

“I’m sorry, Princess,” Spike murmered, “I know how bad this looks for St. Claire, but remember, O’Connor? The list he’s on. Angel’s been anything but an angel and he could be spinning this data for his own purposes. Think, sweetheart,” Spike continued, “who wins most if Amy and her son are out of the way?”

“Angel,” Buffy whispered, “he wins the most. Especially if he’s behind this ‘corporate’ take over of Holden’s empire. Convenient, for Angel, or whoever, to have the King of Sunnydale out of the way, his current mistress dead, and Amy in jail, or worse.”

“Too bloody convenient, baby,” Spike added. “But I’m thinking that even if Angel is the big ‘boss’ in this scheme, there’s got to be foot soldiers about. Someone or some people that are backing O’Connor in his bid for takeover. Even Angel could not be so fucking stupid as to send those threatening notes to St. Claire, in his own idiotic writing? He has to have back up. But who?”

“I wonder,” Buffy murmered as she thought out loud. “I wonder if Angel was involved with Katerina? If he was, then it might make his stakes in the game even bigger? When he found out, that she was pregnant with Holden’s child? Could he have gone after them both and kind of rubbed out two birds with one stone?”

“That I don’t know, Buffy,” Spike answered honestly, “only Angel, Katerina and maybe my cousin knew that. But, it makes sense, really. Though I can’t think that Holden would have just accepted the baby as his, written Katerina and the child into his will. There was something in there, about the apartment and some trust for the woman.”

“Besides,” Buffy added, “I can’t see Katerina cheating on Holden, just doesn’t make sense. Now before you get all macho on me, Will,” Buffy actually laughed, “don’t. All’s I’m saying is that Katerina McClay was pretty savy, as far as the bigger better deal goes. Even Tara, her cousin admits that. She’d never risk her status with Holden, his money and assets for Angel O’Connor. No,” Buffy shook her blond head firmly, “if there was any feelings between Katerina and Angel? They had to be one-sided. On Angel’s side that is.”

“Oh, by the way,” Buffy interjected, “my little sister, Dawn and her husband, Connor want to meet you. They want to have dinner with us, tonight. Mom and Dad said they’d watch baby Connor so Dawnie and Conn could go out with us. What do you say?”

“That’s fine,” Spike chuckled amicably. “I’d like to meet the rest of your family. I have to stop by Holdens eatery and see what’s going on. My Dad insists, I guess Uncle Westin is getting antsy. Hey, how about we eat at Holden’s restaurant?”

Buffy flinched, “no, maybe we shouldn’t,” she offered nervously. “I…..”

“Baby,” Spike cooed, “I’m not suggesting Hold’s place so I can ease either you or me into a sense of ownership. Promise. I have no interest in any of my cousin’s holdings, assets or money. Swear to God, I do. “I’m a simple London Pub owner, sweetheart. Nothing more.”

“Okay,” Buffy sighed in relief, “Holden’s restaurant it is. Hey, ask Wesley to come along, bring Cordelia. Dawn and Cordy know each other. We’ll make it a night out, for everybody!”

After the night out with Dawn, Connor, Wesley and Cordelia, Buffy and William finally got home to their apartment. A very anxious, excited Winston stumbled over his big paws to meet them at the door.

“My baby,” Buffy exclaimed in childish talk, “I’m so sorry we left you all alone sweetie!”

“Oh for Christ’s sake,” Spike hissed under his breath in exasperation.

Buffy shot Will a nasty look and cuddled Winston up to her body. “We’ve been naughty parents, haven’t we darling?” she cooed to the puppy. “Left you all alone for too long tonight. Even if Auntie Dawn and Uncle Connor think Daddy is the best thing that's happened to Mummy.”

She was rewarded with a big, wet lick of Winston’s tongue and a wag of his tail. Buffy began to giggle.

“I think I made a mistake with that pooch,” Spike muttered as he began to unbutton his shirt. “You pay more attention to the mutt then me,” he gave his wife a big pout for affect.

“Oh for Pete’s sake, come here,” Buffy chuckled at Will. She then held the puppy’s big head up so she could look into his chocolate brown eyes. “Winston,” she said seriously, as Will joined her and wrapped his strong arms about her waist.

“Winston,” she repeated, trying hard not to snuggle too far into Will’s chest, “you are going to have to sleep in the kitchen tonight. Daddy wants alone time with Mummy and well, boy, that’s the way it goes.”

Spike grinned happily and eagerly took the dog from Buffy’s clutches. “Yup, that’s the ticket, boy. A nice warm bed in the kitchen. Lot's of space to poop and piss on the papers and then romp about, stumbling over your oversized paws.”

“Will he be all right, Will?” Buffy asked anxiously as she watched her husband lay out the necessary papers and food.

“He’ll be fine, luv,” Spike assured Buffy, with a contented nod. “Look at the room he has to run around in. Winston will love it in here. Besides,” he continued matter-of-factly, “he’s got his cuddly toy and his ball to bat around. He’ll be fine, promise.”

Buffy allowed Will to lead her away from the kitchen to the bedroom, but she glanced back at the closed door, longingly.

“Winston needs a pal,” Buffy whispered seriously.

“That’s what I wanted to talk to you about, Princess,” Spike answered happily. “When we go back to England, like I said, we’ll get a little mate for Winston. A pretty little she pup that’ll have lots of babies and…..”

“About England, Will,” Buffy pouted. “We really need to talk. Now.”

“No, now we go make love for hours and hours, sweetheart,” Spike piped in. He swept Buffy up into his arms and carried her into the bedroom.


A/N: A bit of a weird chapter, I know. If you readers have been paying attention, then you caught the hints and anvils from previous chapters. Even if the murder mystery is solved in the next few chapters, there is still the danger of the ‘mystery’ power seeker that is dwelling in Sunnydale. It may be someone you think, it may not be.

Not only that, but what about the dilema of the ‘living’ arrangements for Buffy and Spike? I’ll give a hint: Something is going to happen that will be a catalyst to just where our duo will end up…..that is, if they live to end up anywhere.

Thanks for reading, please review. Luv, Spuf