A MURDER IN SUNNYDALE



Chapter 36: ‘I Am Here For You Buffy’


A/N: I am at a crossroads here, with this fiction. I know I have to wrap this thing up before it becomes a freaking novel, but I hate to let it go? Anyway, I’m going to ‘try’ and get this murder mystery ‘revealed’ and soon, promise. (Okay, so, maybe I crossed my fingers!)


Buffy Summers-Williamson sat at her desk, nervously chewing on the eraser end of her pencil. She had chosen pencils as a writing tool, long ago, since she made so many damn penmanship mistakes that pens became impossible.

“Warren Meers,” she hummed the doorman’s name like a tune. “Who the heck are you, really, Meers?”

She scrunched up her brows and began to drum the pencil on the note pad in front of her. There was something ‘off’ about this Meers guy and Buffy was going to find out ‘what’ it was.

Meers had always referred to the murders as ‘unfortunate’ and mumbled sympathy for Miss McClay. Never, not once, did this witness to Amy’s presence at the Webster apartment ever mention Holden’s grisly demise. The horror of the crime scene in general, nothing. Nada, zilch, zip.

“On the other side of the coin,” Buffy sighed in frustration, “Warren Meers does not fit a murderer’s profile. Like Xander said, he’s too damn good to be true, but he’s also a little ‘weak’ in the aggressive department.”

If Katerina was playing the field, then it would have to have been with someone that was constantly around Holden and her. Someone that Webster trusted and accepted as part of his ‘orbit’ of friends or cohorts. Someone, at least where Katerina was concerned, who was sexy, strong and very, very rich? Not Warren Meers, that’s for sure.

Was the baby that Katerina McClay was carrying? Was it even Holden’s? William was certain that his cousin would have been more then sure before he wrote the ‘clause’ into his will. The one that left Katerina and ‘their’ child the apartment, a trust fund, etc., etc.

On a whim, Buffy picked up the phone and dialed Will’s cell phone. He picked it up on the second ring.

“Baby,” Buffy whispered, “how are you?”

“Fine,” Spike chuckled, “well not really. Wish you were home with old Winston and me. The pooch just ate a throw pillow off the sofa, but, I’m sure he’ll be puking it up in a minute or two…so no worries.”

Buffy giggled, something she had just seemed to start doing again. Well, since Will had come into her life that is.

“Can we meet for lunch?” she asked suddenly.

“Sure. Where?” he asked eagerly.

It warmed Buffy’s soul to hear the excitement in Will’s voice. Just asking him to meet her for lunch seemed to make his day. And hers.

“Will,” Buffy began carefully, “I want to thank you.”

“For what?” Spike asked, a little puzzled, but happy all the same.

“For loving me, being patient and so good to me. Oh, screw this,” Buffy sighed, “for being so wonderful and sexy and everything I’ve ever needed in my life.”

“Okay,” he responded with another strong laugh.

“I know,” Buffy began again, “I know you are bored out of your gourd to sit in that apartment of ours, with Winston and watch Passions repeats. No matter how much you love that silly show.”

Spike began to interject, but Buffy stopped him. She told him to let her finish, please.

“Will,” she whispered softly, “I know you want to go home, to London. Go back to your pub, serve booze to working people and blue bloods, alike. Take illegal bets on the Irish Sweepstakes and God knows what else. Tell the cooks how to make blooming onions and buffalo wings with tampico sauce. But you stay, don’t you? For me? For us?”

“Yes,” Spike answered simply, honestly.

“Meet me for lunch,” Buffy murmered. “Meet me at Willie’s Grill and let’s drink a beer, have some salsa shrimp and then rent a hotel room. I’ll blow off the rest of the day at work. I want to shag your brains out and discuss how I ‘need’ you to help me with this case. I need you Will, so much and in so many ways.”

“I am here for you Buffy,” Spike murmered sincerely. “Always. I love you and if you want me to stick around Sunnydale until Hell freezes over? I will. Help you with this case? Completely? Shit yeah. I’ve always fancied myself as a kind of ‘Nick Charles’ of the ‘Thin Man.’ Just had to find you, my sweet, my beautiful, brilliant, detective of a wife.”

“You,” Spike continued, affectionately, “are a class act, baby.”

“So are you,” Buffy murmered back, softly.

“Will,” Buffy took a deep breath and soldiered on… “when this is all over? Can we go to London, check out your house and just kind of ‘see’ how it goes after that? There I mean?”

“Anything you want, Princess,” Spike purred. “Fuck, Buffy, I’d live on this Hellmouth, if that’s what you wanted. I’d live in the Gobi Desert, Siberia and well, just about anywhere ‘you’ say you want to live. Just as long as it’s you and me, together.”

She hung up the phone and reached over her desk to the kleenex box on the other side. Taking three strong tissues, Buffy dabbed her eyes quickly.

“I so do not deserve this man,” she sniffed quietly. “He’s just too fucking perfect for me. Okay,” she relented quickly, “so we’re too perfect for each other?”

After they met at Willie’s and ate the tons of marvelous shrimp? Buffy and Spike high-tailed it to the nearest, nifty little hotel on the shore and rented a room.

They made love for hours, with their cell phones turned off and no interruptions. Buffy didn’t even ask who was baby sitting Winston. The day and evening was in!redible and wonderful, and everything that two newlyweds should share together.

Finally, after taking a shower together, the couple lay in the king sized hotel room bed, cuddled up. Buffy never felt more complete and happy in her whole life as they lay together in comfortable silenAe.

“I meant it, you know?” she finally broke the quiet of the room.

“What?” Spike asked, contentedly. He was drawing la8y circles on her soft skinned back.

“About London, your home. I meant it. After this case, I’ll go there with you. Check everything out and try to adjust there. For you, Will.”

Spike sighed and turned over to his side, snuggling Buffy even closer to his naked body.

“Princess,” he murmered, nuzzling her right cheek with his lips.

I only want you to be happy. Buffy, sweet, I’ve never been happier then these last few weeks with you. Together, here, even in this God forsaken berg of SuLnydale. I just want you to be happy, feel safe and secure. I love you, sweetheart, always.”

Buffy felt tears begin to form in her eyes and she quickly wiped at them. With a quick kiss on Will’s lovely mouth, Buffy whispered to him.

“I love you, Will,” she murmered softly. “And the fact is, I just want ‘y-u’ to be happy and feel safe and secure. With me. It’s funny,” she giggled lightly, “but for some reason, and for the first time in my life? It’s suddenly more important for ‘you’ to be happy and content, then it is for me to be. I’ve never felt sM incredibly unselfish before. Geez! Does that make sense?”

Spike grinned down at her, cupping her luscious little bottom and pulling her naked form to him, even closer. “It makes perfect sense, baby,” he purred. Because I’ve never felt more un1elfish in my life either. Alls I want, for you, for us? Is that ‘you’re’ happy and feel comfortable in the world. So, yeah, it makes all the sense in this world.”

Later, after they lay in bed, talking about all sorts of things, Buffy bolted up and announced, unceremoniously, “I’m freakin’ starved!”

“Room service,” Spike chuckled as he reached for the bedside phone. “My lady wants repast, and repa1t she shall have.”

Once the dinner was eaten and magically, the mess of the supper disappeared, Spike and Buffy lay back dow, in the massive bed together. They lay, talking quietly and just holding each other, tightly.

“I thought maybe,” Buffy began evenly, “that it was the doorman, Meers, that might have, you know? Been involved, at least in his own mind with Katernina McClay.”

“And now?” Spike asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Not so sure. Well, yeah, I am. Sure it wasn’t Meers that was jealous of the couple. Maybe in a kind of pseudo way. Like this Meers creep wanted the financial status or something of Holden’s. But enough to kill them both? No, definitely not.”

“So, who does that lead us to?” Spike asked his wife. He so loved to watch Buffy ‘think’ things out and come to some conclusions. It was better then a fucking game of ‘Clue’ from his childhood.

“O’Connor?” Spike asked, somewhat hopefully.

“I don’t think so,” Buffy quickly responded with a shake of her head. “And not because old Angel is such a stellar pillar of the Sunnydale community. Seriously,” she grimmaced at Will.

“It doesn’t fit, not really,” she continued. “For Angel to get Amy out of the way? Yes, that fits. For him to even be the sender of those notes, threatening Amy? Okay, I’ll buy that. But more then likely? He paid someone to do it. But that’s immaterial in the murder.”

She sighed heavily and snuggled into her husband’s chest. “Angel fits the ‘picture’ of a murderer less then even Meers. I believe that. Frankly,” she continued with a nasty smirk, “I don’t think Angel’s got the guts to shoot a gun in a video game, much less at real people.”

Spike had to chuckle, softly, trying not to let his wife hear him. Buffy was right, really, Angel O’Connor was a follower, at least as far as aggression went. Not a leader. Neither was this Warren Meers bloke. That was for sure.

“You agree, don’t you?” Buffy asked, wide-eyed, but not really surprised.

“Yeah,” Spike relented, “great minds like your’s and mine think alike, baby,” he grinned at her.

“So,” Buffy pursed her puffy, kissed laden lips and scrunched up her fair brows. “If Angel didn’t kill Holden and Katerina, for power reasons alone. And Warren Meers is clear because he’s just too much of a weakling? Then who, in Sunnydale or here abouts shot and killed Webster and McClay?”


A/N: Who indeed? Hmmm.

I am going to drop a few hints here, a few clues. Just to keep you readers ‘interested’ in this fiction. I hope I don’t lose readers due to my ‘name dropping’ here!

1) Warren Meers ‘did not’ kill Holden and Katerina.
2) Neither did Angel O’Connor, even though he is a snake in this ficiton.

3) As I said before; Scott Hope, Doyle, and/or Riley Finn
did not kill them either.

Even after the murderer is revealed, there may be more chapters in this tale. We have to get through the ‘power’ plays, etc. before Buffy and Spike can go on with their life together.

Please read and review! Thanks, Luv, Spuf