A MURDER IN SUNNYDALE



Chapter 37: ‘Family Matters’


A/N: All manner of ‘family’ members are mentioned in this chapter. Some are related to Buffy, some are related to other friends of hers.

If you have been keeping up with this mystery? Pay very close attention to the last few paragraphs of this chapter. Thanks for reading, please review. Luv, Spuf


“So, how’s married life to Billy?” Xander asked Buffy, his tone seemed sarcastic. This totally irritated Buffy, especially since she ‘knew’ that her partner not only detested her husband, but that he hoped they’d break up, soon.

“You know, Xand,” Buffy began wearily, “why don’t you change your tune? Play another song or something? We get it…you don’t like Will, it’s a given. Well, since I’m crazy ass in love with him, as he is with me? I think you’d better get used to the idea that our marriage is for well…eternity.”

“Christ, Buff,” Xander muttered, “you had to go outside of the ‘circle’ to find a husband? There’s a lot of worthier guys here, in Sunnydale that…..”

“Shut the fuck up, Xander,” Buffy hissed, “if you know what’s good for you. I mean ‘outside the circle’ for God’s sake? What is this ‘Meet the Parents’? Just because you can’t make a comittment, don’t lay this on me. Will and I are perfectly happy together, estactic, actually. So why don’t you follow suit and marry Anya? You know you love her, she’s your soulmate. Just as Will’s mine and I’m his. Geez, Harris, get a clue, at least in love. You’re not much help as far as detective work goes. Are you?”

Xander shot his partner a nasty look, “I suppose Captain Peroxide is a great detective, huh, Buff?” he sneered. “Why? Cos he can ‘find’ your pussy to stick his…”

“I told you to shut the fuck up about my husband and me, and our marriage. You don’t like Will? Everyone gets that, Xander. But I’m thinking that you think that Angel was the one I should have gone with. Think again, bright light. You don’t know Angel O’Connor, anymore then I do. Not really. If you had any idea.”

“Jesus, Buffy,” Xander hissed, his mouth twisted in an ugly shape. “You pick a fucking stranger from England? A guy who’s connected to that piece of shit, Holden Webster? For God’s sake, Buff, don’t you have any pride? Any common sense at all? At least Angel is a good guy.”

Buffy finished with a shrug of her shoulders. It was pointless to go on with this debate. Xander was her partner at the police department, simple as that. They should just discuss business, the case and leave their personal lives out of it.

“Like I said, Xander,” Buffy continued through gritted teeth, “you don’t really ‘know’ Angel at all. Do you? As for Will and me? Leave you and the rest of the world to heaven, we’re doing fine. Anyway, it’s none of your damn business,” she finished with a stern look at Xander.

“It used to be my business,” her partner shot back with a bitter expression. “Once, not so long ago.”

“Was it ever, really?” Buffy quipped back at him. “You and me, we’re ‘business’ partners, Xander. Not much more, not now, at least.”

Xander snorted his disdain, but didn’t mention William or Buffy, together, at least, anymore. Instead, he just sipped his Starbucks coffee and stared out the window of Buffy’s office.

Buffy could tell that Xander just wanted to blurt out more shit about her, Will and their relationship, but he wisely didn’t.

‘Smart man,’ Buffy thought to herself. ‘I think Xand’s finally learning to keep his big mouth shut.’

“Anything new on the case,” Xander finally asked, not meeting Buffy’s green eyes. He almost seemed disinterested at this point, or so Buffy felt.

“Only what I’ve told you,” she shrugged her shoulders again. “It’s looking more and more like a male shot Webster and McClay. Of course, with Katerina being pregnant? Shot in the stomach? This makes things even more complicated, for all of us.”

“I don’t see what’s so damn complicated about it,” Xander pouted like a child. “It’s obvious that Amy St. Claire was pissed that her precious brat, Harley, would have competition from another Webster spawn. She killed them both. Out of jealousy and greed. Open and shut case really.”

This time, Xander shrugged, almost indifferently. Buffy hated her partner’s smug, matter-of-fact expression.

“No, Xander,” Buffy sighed in exasperation with him. “Amy simply is not that greedy. If she was, she’d have hooked up with Holden, again, a long time ago. Especially after Harley was born.”

“Why do I get the feeling that you’re not sharing everything with me, partner?” Xander suddenly asked Buffy. His dark eyes were narrowed at her, a frown on his handsome mouth.

“Beats me,” Buffy snipped back as she began to thumb through her desk calendar. She avoided Xander’s scrutinizing gaze and concentrated on next week’s appointments.

“Amy’s trial in front of the Grand Jury begins next week, on Thursday,” Buffy said, out loud, but to herself. “Will and me, we’ve got to get some kind of evidence by then. Put a stop to this bullshit before it goes any further.”

“What was that?” Xander asked suspiciously, “what’s that about you and ‘bleach boy’ and evidence.

“Nothing,” Buffy stammered quickly. For some reason, but probably because of Xander’s attitude towards her husband, Buffy just didn’t feel the need to share anymore information with her partner. Not ‘all’ of the new information, anyway.

Frankly, Buffy was fed up with Xander, his attitude, his childish behavior about Will and her. That and the fact that Xander was still stringing his longtime girlfriend, Anya, along. Combined with Xander’s seemingly blind loyalty to Angel O’Connor? Buffy was fed up, to her chin with Harris.

Buffy’s office phone rang, shrilly. It was a welcome relief to break the the tension between her and Xander.

“Hello?” Buffy answered, her eyes on the ‘appointment’ date penciled in for Saturday night. Will and her were invited to supper on Friday night, at Connor and Dawn’s house. Saturday night was set aside for a vegetarian dinner at Willow and Tara McClay’s.

“It’s Cordy, Buffy,” came Miss Chase’s upper class clipped voice.. “How is it going, Mrs. Williamson?” Cordelia Chase’s tone was warm and friendly. Not really ‘unheard’ of when the socialite, bail bondswoman was talking to Buffy, but rare. That was for sure.

“It’s going great, Cordy,” Buffy replied with a giggle. “To what do I owe this call?”

“Just wanted to say congrats for reeling in a catch like a Williamson, sweetie,” Cordy purred. “And to thank you for pointing his cousin, Wesley, in my direction. The man is a God, I swear. Especially in bed and…”

“Enough info, Cordy,” Buffy rasped as she eyed Xander’s sour expression. “I’m not alone here and I don’t think you want an audience, do you?”

“Okay, Buff,” Cordelia laughed, affectionately, “but again, thanks for pointing the Wes man in my direction. He’s a class act, Buffy, through and through. I’m lucky. According to Wesley, you and your husband are lucky too. I am happy for you Buffy. Consider something will you?”

“I’ll consider,” Buffy murmered into the phone.

“Consider moving to England, sweet stuff. With your hubby. Get a fresh start, away from this dull little village we live in. Give it a thought, huh?”

“I’ll give it a lot of thought,” Buffy responded honestly. “Thanks, Cordy. I mean that.”

“I’ve got an appointment with Giles,” Buffy explained to Xander.

“I’ll come along,” her partner offered, somewhat agressively.

“No,” Buffy shook her blond head, firmly, “this is a private meeting. With just Giles and me. We’ve got some personal stuff to clear up and all.”

“You used to include me in the personal stuff, Buff,” Xander mumbled softly. “Once upon a time, I was your best friend. Remember?"

“We were kids then, Xander,” Buffy reminded him. “We’re all grown up now. At least I am.”

With that, she motioned Xander to her door and turned off her computer. Buffy had a lot to discuss with Rupert Giles and not all of it was personal.

“He’s up to his neck in it, Giles,” Buffy was explaining to Rupert Giles. “Angel O’Connor, even some of our police brothers and a sister or two. They’re so deeply stuck in Holden’s web that they’ll never get out of it. Even after he’s dead,” Buffy shook her head in near disbelief. “Holden Webster is still pulling strings from the grave. Or, the sea? You know,” Buffy raised a blond eyebrow, “I need to ask Will just where they spred his cousin’s ashes in England.”

Giles removed his glasses and wiped them, thoroughly. He sighed and returned them to his face, a pensive expression clouded his blue eyes.

“I am not surprised, disappointingly enough,” Giles pursed his lips and sighed. “About Angel that is. The others? Hope and the rest on the force? It’s not shocking, sad to say. Disappointing? Definitely, but not shocking. Corruption is rampant, everywhere. Holden Webster was an evil, corrupt man, so many weak people about him could be corrupted by him.”

“Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts; absolutely,” Buffy whispered as she stared at the paper weight on Giles’ desk.

“What?” she pouted at her mentor, “you think I don’t remember English Lit and all, from college?”

Giles grinned at his protégé and best friends’ oldest daughter. He had always been proud of Buffy Summers, but especially now. At this time in her life.

“You are happy, aren’t you dear?” Rupert asked her, already seemingly knowing her response.

“Yes,” Buffy answered immediately, “more then ever in my life.” She rewarded Giles with a quick, honest smile.

“Good,” Rupert nodded. “You deserve this Buffy,” he continued warmly. “You’ve always deserved to be happy, or at least contented. I am glad that you and your William have worked out your issues and seem to be moving along, nicely.”

“Can you keep a secret, Giles?” Buffy grinned, coyly at the older man.

“I can,” Giles smiled, conspiritorially.

“After this Webster case? I might be pulling up stakes and heading over to London. Crazy huh?” She glanced at her mentor, almost shyly.

“Well,” Giles sighed, “we’ll miss you. All of us, especially Jennifer and I. Of course young Connor and Dawn will be heart broken, but if it is what is best for you. For your marriage to Williamson? Then it is what has to be.”

“Giles,” Buffy began again in a whisper. “I thought, for a minute, only,” she looked down at her hands in her lap. Shame faced. “I thought, when Will and I were reading that ‘list’ thingy. I,” she paused, too ashamed to go on, for a moment.

“You thought what, dear?” Giles asked, his eyes wide in confusion.

“I thought maybe you were on that list. You know, as one of Holden’s ‘connections’ or payoffs. I’m sorry Giles, truly. But when Webster mentioned that I was supposed to be at a desk job? That time when I was shot? It just…”

“I see,” Giles mumbled, his face pale. He removed his glasses once again and wiped at them with a clean tissue.

“I understand, Buffy,” the older man sighed sadly. “I have failed, miserably. With the Webster case, as far back as I can remember, that is. For years I have tried and tried to bring that worthless ponce to his knees. However,” he shook his head in sorrow, “I did fail. Just as I failed my Jenny. She wanted a huge family, lots of children, and grandchildren by now. Again,” he choked up a bit here, “I failed her. I cannot have children, Buffy,” he admitted sadly.

“There’s more to life then having children, Giles,” Buffy reached over the desk and patted Rupert’s large hand with her tiny one. “There’s loving people. Living a dignified life and contributing to society in a positive way. I mean that. You have succeeded in that, Rupert, in aces.”

Giles smiled at Buffy warmly. “Yes,” he murmered, “you are right, of course. However, if it was not me that tipped off Holden, back then,” the Brit stammered, avoiding Buffy’s green eyes, “then who?”

“Riley,” Buffy spat in disgust. “He was tied into Holden from the start.”

The old man looked horrified, “Riley!” he gasped in shock. “Are you sure?”

“Yes,” Buffy nodded, “and before you get all sorry for me. Don’t,” she hissed. “I don’t give a rat’s ass what happens to Riley Finn, from here on in. I was finished with him when I caught him in bed with Samantha. Who, by the way, was also one of Holden’s sluts from the old days. No,” Buffy shook her head, “if Riley wants to wallow in shit, let him. I only hope all this catches up to him, someday.”

Friday night arrived, with Buffy and William having supper at her sister’s house. Dawn fussed over the newlyweds as if they were the first ones in the world.

“Dinner was delicious, honey,” Buffy cooed at Dawnie. Proud that her sister was becoming an accomplished ‘super’ woman of the 21st Century. Not only was Dawn a wonderful mother, wife and sister, she was returning to work at the Social Services Department in just a few weeks. Buffy was worried about little Connor Summers Crawford, of course, but she knew her little sis could handle anything.

“Very good baby,” Connor chimed in to his wife with an adoring look.

“Really enjoyed it,” Spike added honestly. He glanced over at his adoring wife who just glowed with light at her little sister.

“Connor,” Dawn suddenly chimed in, “Can you take Buffy into the nursery, show her that new educational toy we got Conn?” The young dark-haired man nodded and motioned for Buffy too join him in his son’s bedroom. The baby had gone to sleep hours before, so Buffy was more then happy to follow her brother-in-law into the nursery. Just to take a look at the sleeping little angel.

“I want to thank you,” Dawn Summers Crawford said, sincerely, to Spike, her new brother-in-law.

“Thank me?” Spike asked, his left, scarred eyebrow raised in question. “For what?”

“For loving my sister,” Dawn grinned at him. “For coming to Sunnydale and chasing Buffy until she caught you.” Dawn giggled, gleefully.

“I’m so happy for Buffy,” the dark-haired younger woman smiled honestly. “For both of you. You have no idea how much I love my sister, William,” she continued. “So much more then most sisters care for their siblings. Buffy’s had it tough, really. I don’t know how much she’s told you, William. I’ll bet you know more of Buffy’s secrets, however, then I do. And I know plenty. Anyway,” Dawn sighed, “just thanks for being in my sister’s life.”

“You’re welcome, Dawn,” Spike murmered, “and thank you for having a big sis like Buffy. I love her so much.”

Dawn grinned again and nodded. “She tends to have that effect on people, William. Buffy’s got a good heart and soul. If, when this awful case is over? If you and Buffy want to leave for England? Go with our blessings. Mine, Connor’s and my folks. We’ll miss her, terribly. But I want my sister to be happy. It’s the most important thing right now, as for as she’s concerned. Take her away from this place, okay William?”

Spike nodded, seriously, “if that’s what Buffy wants, Dawn. Yes, I will.”

When Saturday night rolled around, William and Buffy found themselves at Willow and Tara’s condo. It was by the beach and was a comfortable place, if not too spacious.

After the heavy, pot roast supper that Dawn had produced the night before, the green leafy repast of Tara’s was almost welcome to Buffy. Willow was just clearing the table and getting the coffee, when Buffy motioned for Tara to come sit with her on the couch.

Buffy was pleased, really. Both Willow and Tara had welcomed William into their home, openly. Her best friend, Wills had even winked at Buffy after being properly introduced to William. It made Buffy happy that her family and friends were accepting her husband into the fold. Not that it truly mattered, in the end, but still, Buffy was happy that ‘her gang’ was welcoming her love into the mix.

‘Xander is full of shit,’ Buffy reassured herself. She was still angry that her police partner would not let go of his bad feelings about Will. Even though she, Buffy, had offered a truce time and again. It really didn’t matter, though. If Xander wanted to be a stubborn ass? So be it. He wasn’t all that important in Buffy’s life anymore anyway.

For one thing, Buffy wasn’t so sure that Xander wasn’t playing the department Cassanova with both Anya and that Sandy bimbo in records. It made Buffy sick to think that the man would string Anya along, for so long, and still be playing the field. Buffy had reason to believe that it was Sandy that was keeping Xander company on the nights he wasn’t with Anya.

‘Prick,’ Buffy hissed to herself. ‘I wish Anya would just find someone else and be done with it. She deserves a comitted guy, not a bozo like Xander Harris.’

Tara was asking Buffy something and she shook her troubling thoughts of Xander away. Buffy grinned at Tara and reached for her big purse, pulling out a small sized photo album from the inside.

“I’ve got something for you Tara,” Buffy murmered as she held out the pink and lavendar photo album. “We, Will and me, we found this in Holden’s apartment. It was Katerina’s, I’m pretty sure, anyway. I hope it’s all right, to give it to you and all. The ‘team’ didn’t seem to think it was much evidence so they released it to me. I thought you might like it?”

“Thanks, sweetie,” Tara whispered in a kind of awed voice. “As you know, I wasn’t really close to Kat, but I would like something that belonged to her.” The tall, statuesque blond hugged Buffy warmly.

Tara set the album on the coffee table, just as her lover, Willow brought coffee and coasters to the same table. The red-headed shrink sat beside Tara, to the right, as Buffy flanked her left side. William sat across from the females, on a large, overstuffed chair.

“What’s this?” Willow asked, genuinely interested.

“My cousin’s photo album,” Tara whispered, almost sadly. “Poor Kat,” she sighed loudly. “Might have been better if she’d stayed in LA, where she really belonged.”

The four people in the living room stayed silent for a while. Thinking about the murdered young woman and Holden.

“Can we look through it?” Willow asked, quietly, with wide eyes, filled with curiousity.

“I suppose,” Tara sighed again as she reached for the album and opened it up to the first set of pictures.

Various shots of Holden and Katerina appeared before the three women’s eyes. Spike just sat and sipped his coffee, watching his wife’s green eyed expression, intently.

‘My poor Princess,’ Spike thought to himself. ‘Hold’s always going to have some control over her, over so many people she knows.’

“This is Kat, when she was in High School,” Tara mumbled softly, sadly pointing to a new picture, about three quarters through the album. “I’m pretty sure of it. She lived in Manhatten Beach then. With her folks, my cousin Sean and his wife, Amile. She must have been on a date?” Tara concluded, audibly as she pointed at the young man who stood beside Katerina, in the photo.

“Too bad Katerina didn’t stay in LA,” Tara added with a shake of her head. “Even though she was constantly in trouble down there, too. My Uncle told me that Katerina was always up to something, something wrong. Poor thing,” Tara continued, sympathetically, “probably made a worse move by moving, up here to Sunnydale and…..”

Buffy had become terribly quiet, since Tara began her ramble. When her green eyes fell on the next picture in the photo album, Buffy nearly leapt up from her spot on the couch.

“Jesus!” Buffy suddenly gasped loudly, stopping Tara’s hand from turning the page to the next set of photos.

“What is it baby?” Spike stood up and joined his wife’s side, anxious at the shocked look on Buffy’s face.

“This guy,” Buffy squeaked, her voice strained and low, “I know this guy. In this picture, I swear it.”

Buffy reached in between the plastic photo covers and pulled the photo in question out. She turned it over and read the back of the picture.

“Oh my God,” Buffy gasped again. “Wills,” she rasped, glancing at her friend, “do you recognize this guy?”

Willow took the picture and stared wide-eyed at it. “My Lord!” she gasped in shock, herself.

“It’s Nick Harris, isn’t it?” Buffy asked Willow, ignoring William’s questioning look.

“Harris?” Spike finally asked in puzzlement.

“Isn’t that your dim-witted partner’s last name, baby?” he inquired of Buffy.

“Yes,” Buffy whispered, suddenly very pale, her voice cracked in disbelief.

“Buffy,” Willow mumbled, holding out the picture to her friend, “look at the back of it, again.”

Buffy read the writing on the back of the picture, out loud to the three other people in the room.

“Nicky and me,” Katerina had written in her girlish script, “Santa Monica Pier, September 22, 1998.”

“Your cousin,” Buffy hissed at Tara, still in shock from the revelation, “she knew, maybe even dated Nick Harris. Nick,” she continued hoarsely, “he was Xander’s cousin.”


A/N: Dum, dah dum dum! Please read and review. Luv, Spuf