A MURDER IN SUNNYDALE



Chapter 41: ‘Everything’s Fine’


Buffy got to Anya’s Dress Shop at about noon that day. She parked her monstrosity of a lime green Porshe and hurried up to the front door of the shop. Surprised to find the glass door locked, a ‘closed’ sign turned to show out to the street.

‘Shit,’ Buffy sighed internally, ‘it’s lunch time, one of the peak times for Anya’s business. Why the hell would she have the shop closed?’

Buffy actually ‘knocked’ loudly on the glass door, hoping to stir Anya into unlocking it and letting her in. She was rewarded when Anya showed up and smiled, albeit a bit ‘nervously’ at her.

“Hey,” Buffy smiled, amicably, “let me in, huh?”

Anya shook her head, smiled weakly and mumbled through the glass, “can’t, I have, uhm, inventory,” she responded.

The woman in the shop seemed nervous, anxious to Buffy, as if something wasn’t quite right. Buffy reached for the door handle and turned it, defiantly, “let me in, Anya,” she mumbled as she watched the woman’s dark eyes dart over to the back room, then back to her again.

“Buffy,” Anya hissed, “go away, please. Everything’s fine, swear it. Just go on, I’m begging you.”

When Anya jumped, a second later, and spun her head about to look behind her, Buffy realized that her friend was listening to ‘someone’ behind her.

Anya, reluctantly, unlocked the shop door and motioned for Buffy to come inside. After Buffy entered, she carefully looked about the shop and raised her right brow at her friend.

“What’s wrong?” she asked Anya, softly.

“Nothing, silly, really,” Anya replied, her voice shaky and her words kind of muddled.

“Anya,” Buffy began, cautiously, “something is wrong here. What is it?” She watched as Anya reached over and locked the front door of her shop, quickly.

“What could possibly be wrong, Buff?” came Xander Harris’s deep voice from the back room door. Buffy saw Anya cringe, fear was written all over the young woman’s face, as her boyfriend neared the two women.

“What are you doing here, Xander?” Buffy asked, a little nervous herself now.

“I could ask you the same thing, Buff,” Xander countered, an odd smirk on his mouth.

“I came to buy…” Buffy hesitated, she was a little embarrassed to mention the new lingerie she had intended on using as a ruse to question Anya.

“Xander,” Anya stammered, her dark eyes darting back and forth between her boyfriend and Buffy. “Please, Xander,” Anya whimpered.

“Please what, Anya,” Xander asked evenly, his brown eyes were almost black in color now. Buffy noticed a hateful gleam in them.

“Please, baby,” Anya continued quietly, “please let this go. Send Buffy away now, please Xander.”

“Fuck you,” Xander growled as he reached into his pants pocket and pulled out a small revolver.

“Xander!” Buffy cried in dismay, “what the hell is going on here?”

“As if you didn’t know, bitch!” he hissed at his partner. “You came here to tell on me, didn’t you, Buff? Tell Anya what a fucking piece of shit I really am?”


“Xander…” Anya looked as if she was going to be physically sick.

“Shut the fuck up, Anya,” Xander ordered harshly. “This bitch,” he pointed the gun at Buffy and frowned, “this bitch is here to ruin us. Once and for all, sweetheart. She’s Buffy Summers, the fucking energizer bunny of screwed up relationships. Isn’t that right Buff?”

Buffy felt her stomach churn at Xander’s cruel words and ugly look in his usually kind eyes. She took a deep breath and swallowed hard, trying to find some way to difuse this awful situation.

“My name,” Buffy began evenly, “is Buffy Williamson, Xander. And, yes, I’ve fucked up, big time in the past. But now? I’ve got a wonderful husband, who loves me.”

‘Oh, God,’ Buffy thought with fear, ‘he’s losing it. Xander’s gone completely around the bend now. I have to get this back on track, make it right.’

“Fucking whore,” Xander hissed as he glanced at Buffy, then his girl, Anya. “Both of you. Whores. Just like all women. Can’t keep your legs together long enough to…”

“Xander,” Anya whined, reaching out to her boyfriend, “please, put the gun away. We can talk this out, whatever it is and make it right. I love you, Xander, so please.”

“I told you to shut the fuck up, whore,” Xander spat at the frightened Anya. “You know what?” the man hissed at his lover, “you’re as bad as she is.” He pointed the gun, again at Buffy.

“You talk all love and sweetness, virtue and kindness. But in the end? You’re whores together. It’s like some big, inclusive club that bitches like you get to join. You’d spread your legs for anyone who’s the bigger, better deal, wouldn’t you?”

Both Buffy and Anya shook their heads, simotaneously, at the hulking man.

“Oh, yeah, you would,” Xander insisted with a shake of his own dark head. “Buffy here,” he chuckled, “she fucked Billy boy almost the minute he hit town. Didn’t you Buff?”

Buffy didn’t answer, just shot Xander her patent look of death. She glanced over at Anya, who was as pale as a ghost by now.

Finally, Buffy took Anya’s hand in hers and looked, soulfully, into her friend’s brown eyes. “He killed them, Anya,” Buffy whispered sadly, “Holden Webster, Katerina McClay. Xander murdered them.” She glared at Xander Harris and tilted her head, to the left, slightly, “didn’t you, Xand?”

“Did everyone in this town a favor,” Xander spat out angrily. “Killed that vermin, Webster, then his whore along with him. The way I see it,” Xander continued smugly, “I’m a fucking white night hero.”

“Oh, God, Xander,” Anya cried out, her hand over her mouth in shock. “How could you?”

Buffy allowed Xander to herd both her and Anya into the back room of the shop. They ended up behind Anya’s desk, standing side-by-side as Xander began to pace back and forth in front of it.

“Whores!” Xander exclaimed angrily as he spun about and faced off with Buffy and Anya. “You’re all whores,” he added, a little less harshly this time.

“We are not,” Buffy hissed, all full of pride and false bravado. “Anya and me, we’re not whores. We’re good women, strong and decent women, Xander. If you can’t see that? Then fuck you.”

She was so pissed by now, to think that her once trusted partner had betrayed her, his girlfriend, Anya, everyone around him? Buffy wanted to strangle Xander Harris, with her bare hands.

“Now, there’s the rub, isn’t it Buff?” Xander purred as he leaned over Anya’s desk and stared Buffy down. “You fucking me? Not in this lifetime, right?”

Anya gasped, apparently shocked, finally, to hear the obvious confessions of her lover of four years. Buffy felt sick when she heard Anya begin to weep, softly.

“You spread your long, lithe little legs for everyone, don’t you Buffy?” Xander asked, his tone was venomous and harsh. “But me? You don’t give me the time of day, do you?”

“You’re not worth my time Harris,” Buffy responded, her own tone was ugly and cruel. “I wouldn’t let you touch me if you were the…”

“Shut up!” Anya shouted in a high-pitched voice. “Shut the fuck up! Both of you!”

“That’s my girl,” Xander purred, gazing benevolently at Anya, “choose your side, baby,” he ordered gently. “Me, your one and only, or this lying, deceitful whore.” He grinned, evilly at Buffy and winked at Anya.

Buffy glared, desperately, at Anya, then back at Xander.

“Ask him,” Buffy mumbled, her voice cracked with emotion, “ask your Xander about Holden and Katerina. Ask him just why he shot and killed them both?”

“Why?” Anya asked, evenly, as she coolly stared down her lover.

“They murdered Nicky,” Xander quickly replied, another smug grin on his handsome face. “Holden and Kat murdered my cousin.”

“They murdered Nicky,” Anya repeated, almost robot-like to Buffy. “Holden and Kat, they murdered my Xander’s cousin.”

“So,” Buffy sighed heavily, “that makes it okay for Xander to get into bed with the devil? Sleep with the enemy? For God’s sake, Anya,” Buffy grumbled in disgust, “Xander befriended both Holden and Katerina. And I don’t mean he became blood brothers with them. He fucked Katerina, Anya,” Buffy spat in exasperation. He fucked her and then shot her. After he found out that the baby she was carrying wasn’t his. Isn’t that right, Xand?”

Buffy watched her friend’s expression change from doubt, to anger, to sadness. Anya’s dark eyes half closed, then closed completely as the woman lost all sense of hope and trust in her lover, Xander Harris.

“Who you going to believe, baby?” Xander asked, again smugly and arrogant. “Me? Who can give you everything you ever wanted? Or this whore here,” he pointed at Buffy, “who spreads her legs for anyone and everyone?”

“I,” Anya began then paused, unsure for a moment, “I think I…”

“We were on break,” Xander suddenly piped up, “you and me, baby,” he whined to Anya. “We were on break. Katerina, she seduced me, baby,” he began to ramble on, “she was lonely. Holden was fucking every female for miles and Kat needed company. You and me, we were on break, Anya.

His voice was a mere whisper now, and it was pathetic to Buffy. “Holden’s whore? She betrayed Nick, led him down the path to hell. What was I supposed to do? I took the opportunity, made their lives an utter torment.”

“How do you know,” Buffy murmered, nearly inaudibly, “how do you know the baby wasn’t yours?” She hissed in contempt at her ‘former’ partner and friend.

“Three years ago,” Xander responded, “three years ago, I got fixed. Made sure no Harris spawn would ever be conceived.”

Anya gasped and Buffy took her hand in hers. “You can’t father children,” Anya choked out.

“I couldn’t father a fucking dog,” Xander hissed at his girlfriend. Not even with that whore, Kat McClay, or any of you female bitches in heat!”

“So you began an affair with Katerina?” Anya asked, tears streaming down her face.

“We were on break,” Xander responded coldly, “who gives a fuck what we do on break!”

“I do,” Anya whispered. It nearly broke Buffy’s heart.

“Choose,” Xander hissed as he pointed his gun at Buffy, yet again. “Choose between us, baby,” he ordered gruffly. “Me? Your savior, or this whore here? Who’s it gonna’ be?”

“He’s cheating again,” Buffy mumbled quickly to Anya. “With Sandy from the precinct.”

“Sandy!” Anya hissed, her eyes were narrow slits now. “That little ‘ho’ from records!”

“It’s not like that, baby,” Xander began, his voice unsure, unstable and weak.

“You know,” Xander sighed in defeat, “maybe I should just fucking shoot you both.” He laughed, softly, maniacally, “just make this look like a robbery gone wrong?”


Buffy began to say something when she glanced up and noticed the ‘video cam’ that faced her and Anya. Xander had his back to the camera, so he didn’t see the front of the shop. The camera displayed the front of the store, the sidewalk and the front door of the shop.

William Williamson was seen, in front of the store, his face pressed up against the glass of the door. He looked ‘worried’ to say the least and Buffy hoped that the man would realize that something was terribly wrong in the place.

‘Check the door,’ Buffy ordered her husband, silently, trying not to let on that Will was here, near her. Xander kept rambling on about whores, women in general, revenge.

‘Call my cell phone, sweetheart,’ Buffy silently prayed as she watched her husband frown, on camera and look back at the parking lot.

‘He sees the Porshe,’ she sighed in relief, ‘my baby sees my ugly car!’

Buffy watched asWill tried the door, once again, looked behind himself and spied the lime green Porshe that belonged to Buffy. It appeared that he called Buffy’s cell and couldn’t get through. Thanks to Xander, who had made Buffy turn it off.

‘That’s it, baby,’ Buffy thought, gleefully, ‘call 911 and get the boys in blue here!’ She just knew that’s what Will was doing, calling the emergency number.

‘Smart boy,’ Buffy beamed proudly. ‘My smart, wonderful husband!’

Buffy looked over at Anya who was staring in disbelief at her soon to be ex, Xander. She accessed the situation, seeing that Anya was in no mental condition to be of too much help.

For a moment, Buffy wondered if Anya had told Xander about the little, secret button, under her desk that could open the locked front or back doors of the shop. She pondered the options, Buffy did, then acted, quickly. Reaching under the desk, Buffy found the plastic knob that could release the latch of the front door lock. She pushed the button and began to pray to God and her husband, William, that he would hear, figure out or surmise that the lock to the front door was now open.

As she watched Will reach for the door, yet again, Buffy was relieved to realize that he was going to figure it out. Get into the shop, hopefully undetected by the crazed Xander.

It was a cold, brutal and harsh realization, when Buffy saw her husband reach into his leather jacket pocket and pull out a small gun of his own. Buffy watched in horror, now, as Will opened the front door, stealthly, and entered the shop as silently as he could.


A/N: Okay, a little chapter. I have another chapter of my PWP to write for another site.

I have to tell you readers, this is like the third to the last chapter of this fiction. And, be prepared, even after this murder is solved (which it pretty much is) there is more angst in store for our couple. Hehehehehe.

You’ll just have to read to find out! Thank you, and please review. Luv, spuf