A MURDER IN SUNNYDALE


Chapter 42: ‘I Will Never Leave You’


A/N: Warning, character death (?) in this chapter.


Buffy watched her husband, via video cam, as he quietly moved through the shop and closer to the office area. However, she kept her stare on Xander, who seemed to be pondering his options, at the moment anyway.

A part of Buffy was thrilled that her William was here, with a gun no less. But another part of her was worried sick that Xander might realize her husband’s presence and hurt him.

‘I can’t lose him,’ Buffy thought to herself, desperately. ‘I can’t lose my Will.’

Xander began to babble something again, something about what a whore Katerina was, just like his own mother. He continued on and on about women in general.

“My old man,” Xander babbled on, “he married my whore of a mother. Gave her a decent name, a roof over her head. She treated him like shit, like all women treat men. No wonder that idiot father of mine beat the hell out of my mom every chance he got.”

Buffy looked over at Anya, momentarily, noting that the woman was completely lost in some kind of daze. The shop keeper would be of no use from here on in, Buffy was sure of it.

“You’re all whores, you know?” Xander smirked at both Buffy and Anya with contempt. “Every last one of you. You’d all spread your legs for anything you consider the bigger, better deal, wouldn’t you?”

“Xander,” Anya murmered in a sad, lost tone, “I do love you.”

“No,” Xander shook his dark head, firmly, “you don’t love me, Anya,” he hissed back at the frightened woman.

“You only want me for my name, the respectibility I can give you. You’re a whore, just like Buffy here. Only she hooked up with a stupid fuck that married her, despite what a real slut she is. I almost feel sorry for old Spike, you know that Buff?” Xander grinned wildly at his partner, only convincing Buffy that her old friend was truly insane now.

“You really reeled the Billy Idol wannabe in, fast? Didn’t you? Damn, I think it took longer to fool old Riley Finn, didn’t it? You hooked the Brit faster then it took to open those long legs of yours and let him…”

“ And you’re one to talk?” Buffy snorted at Xander, hoping to gain some time for Will. “Who else are you screwing, Xander?” Her mouth had formed a contemptuous frown and she tried ‘not’ to stare at the opened office door.

Out of the corner of her eye, Buffy could see Will’s shadow as he neared the door. She only prayed that he didn’t make his presence known until it was time. Buffy could tell that Anya would be of no help, at all. She was completely in a daze by all the drama playing out in the office of her own shop. The poor woman was utterly devestated, Buffy could tell.

“Who else are you screwing, Xander?” Anya repeated in a robot like tone to her boyfriend. She looked so sad and childlike that Buffy felt tears threaten to fall from her own eyes.
“Tell her,” Buffy ordered Xander gruffly, “tell the woman who loves you just what a real fuckhead you truly are.”

“Just you, and Sandy,” Xander chuckled and winked at his girlfriend. “God knows Sandy’s enough for any man. That girl’s a virtual vacuum cleaner with her mouth. Kat was pretty impressive, of course, but Sandy? She could suck a…”

“Shut up!” Anya screamed at Xander, her dark eyes wild with pain. “Shut up, shut up!” she cried again desperately. “I hate you, Xander,” she began to sob, cutting Buffy to the bone, breaking her heart.

“Proud of yourself, Xand?” Buffy asked quietly, never taking her gaze from his. “Look what you’ve done to the woman you truly love?”

“What the fuck do you know about love, Buffy?” Xander rasped harshly. He began to wave the gun around in front of both of the women as he grinned insanely at them.

“She knows a lot about love, fuckhead,” Spike growled from behind the man. “Drop that piece you asshole or I’ll blow your worthless head off!”

Buffy watched in horror as Xander spun around and now pointed his gun at her William. Before anyone in the room could make a move, William cocked his own gun and aimed it at Xander.

Two shots rung out as both Buffy and Anya screamed in terror. The women watched in horror as both men fell to the ground.

Buffy literally ran to Will’s side and kneeled next to him. She could see the blood from his gunshot wound, seeping out onto the white tile of the office floor.

“Will,” she gasped, like a drowning person, gasping for air. “Please baby,” she cried desperately, “stay with me.”

She wrapped her arms about her husband’s body and pulled him closer to her own. Will smiled at her, despite his obvious pain from the wound and tried to hug her close with his own arm.

“Love you,” he whispered, so low that Buffy could barely hear him. “I love you,” he repeated, a little louder now.

“I love you,” Buffy began to weep, softly, trying not to let Will see her fear, or her tears. “I love you baby,” she added, burying her head into Will’s neck.

“Buffy,” came Anya’s frightened, confused voice, “Xander,” she continued, almost in an indifferent tone. “I think he’s dead, Buffy,” Anya finished, quietly. Buffy noticed that Anya’s tears had suddenly stopped. Now, poor Anya just looked terribly sad and defeated. “He’s not breathing, Buffy,” Anya whispered in quiet horror. “He ‘is’ dead, I know it.”

Buffy stared over at Anya and Xander’s still form, watching the blood just oozing from his chest, onto the floor. She shook her head in sorrow, for just a second, then returned to keep watch over her husband. Her William.

‘But my Will is breathing,’ Buffy sighed in relief. ‘And it’s all that matters to me now.’

“Please, baby,” she murmered to him, looking into those indigo blue eyes of his, “Never leave me, Will. Please stay with me. Please.”

“I will never leave you,” Spike gasped out, weakly, feeling his gut burn like fire. The gunshot must have hit him, right in the middle of his stomach. It felt like a hot, burning coal had been thrust into his gut, tearing him apart inside.

“I’ll never leave you,” Spike repeated to his horrified wife. “Love you too much and you are so stuck with me, baby,” he added with a shadow of his old smirk.

From somewhere, far away, but getting closer, Buffy heard the sirens. They sounded like both police and paramedic sirens and she breathed a long sigh of relief. Deep inside of her, deep down, somewhere in her very soul? Buffy Williamson just knew that her William was going to be all right.

“Everything is going to be fine,” she whispered as she kissed Will’s handsome mouth, with her lips. “I’ll make sure of it,” she murmered as fresh tears spilled from her eyes.


Buffy sat in the waiting room, just out side of the main operating room of the Sunnydale Hospital. It had been hours since the ambulance brought her husband there, to the hospital, and Buffy had been waiting ‘impatiently’ in this bright, sterile room.

Wesley and Cordelia had gotten to the hospital, just a couple of hours after Buffy called them on her cell phone. William’s cousin, Wesley had made the calls to his family back in England. Buffy was grateful to Wesley for that, and for bringing his girlfriend, Cordy, to help comfort Buffy.

“He’s got to make it, Wes,” Buffy murmered, for the hundredth time in an hour. “My Will, he’s got to live. I love him and I can’t live without him. Not now.”

“He will make it,” Wesley responded, firmly, “Spike is a very resilient man. He’s had to be, but then, you know that, don’t you?”

Buffy nodded her head, slightly, then burst out into tears again. “I can’t lose him, I can’t,” she kept repeating.

Wesley put his arm around Buffy and patted her shoulder, while Cordelia took her free hand. “It’s going to okay, Buff,” Cordy cooed into the blond woman’s ear. “Your guy is going to be okay, I know it.”

“He is,” Buffy sniffed back more sobs and suddenly smiled, slightly at the dark haired couple. “My baby is going to be fine. You’re right Wesley, Will is a resilient man.”

Connor and Dawn Summers took that opportunity to enter the waiting room and rush up to Buffy.

“Oh, honey,” Dawn cried, throwing her arms about her older sister. “I’m sorry we didn’t get here sooner. I called mom and dad, they’re on their way up from LA. Is there any news yet?”

“No,” Buffy whispered, depressed again, “it’s been hours and no one has even come out to…”

“In fact,” Buffy stood up abrubtly, kind of throwing all of the comforting hands from her, “I’m going in there and find out just what the bloody hell is going on!”

Dawn smirked at Buffy, “that’s my sis,” she actually chuckled lightly. “I’ll go with you and…”

“No,” Wesley chimed in, “neither of you can go in there. You know that Buffy,” he tilted his dark head (reminding Buffy of William) and scowled.

“When the Doctor has news, Buffy dear,” Wesley began, “he will come out and tell you. Until then, please just sit down and try to…”

“Mrs. Williamson?” came the soothing, but businesslike voice of Dr. Benjamen Noxen (sorry), Will’s surgeon.

“Yes?” Buffy asked nervously, closing the gap between herself and the weary looking physician.

“Your husband, William is it? Well, he’s quite a fighter, maam. He’s going to be okay, after a while that is. The bullet must have ricocheted off ‘something’ in the room. A desk? A chair perhaps, before it hit Mr. Williamson. I had to go in, take the bullet out of the stomach area where it did do some damage. However,” the tired man continued, smiling now, “the bullet did not hit any vital organs, so we’re lucky here.”

Buffy felt like throwing her arms around this Dr. Noxen (again, sorry) and hugging him to death. She settled for a simple ‘thank you’ and instead threw her arms around her sister, Dawnie.

Wesley hugged Cordy and Connor just kind of stood there, smiling sheepishly as Dr. Noxen watched the relieved group. He seemed to be waiting for the inevitable. Which, Buffy rewarded him with.

“Thank God,” Buffy burst into tears of relief. “Can I see him Doctor?”

“Of course, Mrs. Williamson,” the man grinned at the pretty woman. “In fact, tell you what,” he continued, seemingly quite proud of himself for his ‘effort’ in bringing about all this happiness.

“I’ll have an orderly place a guest cot, in your husband’s room. You can spend the night with him, if you like. Just try not to get him, too, you know, excited?”

“Yes!” Buffy squealed like an excited child. “I want to be with Will! I’ll be good, won’t talk too much or anything,” she added, seriously.

“Okay, then,” Dr. Noxen grinned happily, “I’ll have our guy do that. Move a cot in there. I do ask, however, that it just be you that visits with your husband tonight. Tomorrow, you others can stop in and say hello. Right then?”

Everyone nodded and Buffy hugged each of them, seperately, of course.

“Buffy,” Wesley cleared his throat and began to speak softly to his cousin’s relieved wife.

“Give William our best and tell him,” Wes paused for a moment, his dark brows scrunched together in thought. “Tell him that his parents, that they are flying to Sunnydale, tomorrow morning?”

Buffy froze, momentarily stunned. “Will’s parents are coming to Sunnydale?” she gasped.

‘Of course, you moron,’ she answered herself with disgust. ‘Why shouldn’t they? He’s their son!’

“Oh,” Buffy tried to cover her trepidation, to Wesley anyway. “That’s uhm, very nice and…”

“They aren’t monsters, Buffy,” Wesley smiled warmly at her. “Promise, they’ll love you. Their son does and that’s all that matters, isn’t it? Especially now?”

“Yes,” Buffy nodded, “you’re right. Call me, tomorrow, as soon as they arrive and I’ll receive them. Possibly at our apartment?” She tried to make her offer sound upbeat, cheerful, even, but Buffy couldn’t help but feel more sense of foreboding about this new turn of events.


A/N: Okay. I have several reasons for ending this chapter here. One of which will be answered in the next (possibly the second to last chapter of this fic).

In the next chapter we’ll find out about Xander’s fate, Anya’s statement, Amy St. Claire’s whereabouts. Also…what happened to Warren’s confessions and where is Angel?

If you have been reading this fic, or any of my fics, you know I like to drop hints and anvils for future storylines. Please, pay careful attention to the fact that Johnathan and Anne Williamson (Spike’s parents) are coming to Sunnydale. In fact, over to our Spuffy apartment to meet their daughter-in-law and Winston! This is important…

Thanks for reading, please review. Luv, Spuf

(PS…hope this wasn’t too farfetched!)