A MURDER IN SUNNYDALE


Chapter 43: ‘Healing’


A/N: I’m submitting this ‘quickie’ chapter tonight because I want to get this fiction wrapped up. Next, I’m writing a ‘High School’ fic, with a kind of twist.


Spike woke up, slowly, in a hospital room, or so it seemed. Yup, definitely a hospital room. Which would make sense, really, as the last thing he remembered was being put under by a doctor in an operating room.

“Buffy!” he gasped suddenly, desperately looking about the sterile white room. He immediately relaxed when he saw his blond little wife, sleeping soundly next to his bed, in a simple cot of her own.

“Buffy,” he rasped, his voice cracked and dry from medication and pain. “Wake up, baby,” he pleaded softly.

“Will?” Buffy mumbled as she came awake, pretty quickly.

“Oh, baby,” she cried, leaping up from the makeshift bed and tenderly wrapping her arms about William’s chest and shoulders.

Spike’s Buffy began to pepper little, soft kisses on his face, mouth and chin as she babbled on about being sorry for not being awake when he woke up.

“It’s okay,” Spike assured her. “I’ve been out, what? All night?”

Buffy nodded, her beautiful green eyes filled with tiny tears.

“All night,” she echoed to her husband. “I was here, the doctor let me sleep here. Didn’t want to wake you,” she rambled on, “didn’t want to ‘excite’ you. Doctor’s orders and…”

“It’s all right, baby,” Spike whispered weakly, “you’re here. That’s all that matters.”

He watched, in awe, of course, as his beloved wife climbed, very carefully, into the bed with him. She was being quite cautious of the wires, tubes and the IV that were attached to his arms.

Snuggling up close to his sore body, with her tiny, but powerful warm body, Buffy began to cry softly into Spike’s neck.

“I love you,” she whispered into Will’s muscled neck, desperately. “I thought I lost you, baby.”

“I told you,” he grinned down at her. “You’re stuck with me. I love you too damn much to leave you, baby. Never going to lose me.”


“I’m sorry,” she sobbed, quietly, “for ever going to the dress shop. I put you, myself, even Anya in danger. I was stupid, stupid, stupid,” Buffy groaned, her face still buried into Spike’s neck.



“No,” Spike replied, gruffly, “you were being you. A cop. A good one and I can’t fault you for that baby.” He reached his left hand up to coax her chin up so their eyes could meet.

“I don’t want to be a cop anymore, Will,” Buffy whispered, truthfully. “I want to be a pub owners wife. In England and…”

Spike beamed at his Buffy, his wife, his partner. “Take your time,” he whispered gently, “we’ll do what you want. Okay?”

“Okay,” Buffy replied softly. However, she had already made up her mind. Nearly losing her William made Buffy realize that there were other things in life besides police work and Sunnydale, California. There was family, a home and children. A pub that belonged to her husband, and now, to her. Why not give it a go? See how that life might work out for them both?

“Harris,” Spike asked, softly, “is he?”

“He’s dead,” Buffy responded evenly. She showed little emotion over her dead partner.

“I’m sorry baby,” Spike shook his head, truly sorry that he had killed his wife’s partner.

“No,” Buffy shook her own blond head, “Xander brought this on himself. What I don’t understand,” she scrunched her brows together, “is how any of us missed just how screwed up Xander was? I mean, me? Willow and Giles? Even Captain Wilkens? How did any of us miss out on the crazy train that was Xander Harris?”

“I don’t know,” Spike answered honestly. “He must have fooled an awful lot of people though, huh?”

“Yes,” Buffy sighed sadly. “A lot of people.”

“I’m not supposed to be doing this,” Buffy exclaimed suddenly, taking her exploring fingers from her husband’s hospital gown clad chest. She placed them by her own side, carefully trying to not touch her husband, per the doctor.

“Not supposed to be doing what?” William smirked at her, trying his best to clasp onto her waist with his weakened hands.

“Exciting you,” Buffy murmered shyly. “I’m not supposed to be exciting or arousing you. Doctor’s orders,” she pouted and tried to rise from Will’s bed.

“Screw the doctors,” Spike chuckled, his belly burned in pain from the surgery. “Anyway,” he continued, “you ‘excite and arouse’ me, sweet, just by being within a mile of me so…”

Buffy leaned in and kissed her Will’s lovely mouth. “You’re just fine,” she hissed, happily as she ran her hand down her man’s right arm.

“Yup, that I am,” Will replied with another naughty grin. “Can’t wait to get you home. Make you…”

“Good morning Mr. Williamson,” Dr. Ben Noxen greeted warmly. “Mrs. Williamson. I see our patient is quite ‘awake and aware’ this morning?”

Buffy blushed profusely and scurried off Will’s hospital bed, a little embarrassed at being caught out.

“Thank you again, Doctor,” she stammered at the young physician, “for Will and me.”

“Yeah, thanks Doc,” Spike repeated his wife’s words, gratefully. “I’d be deader then shit if…”

“Will,” Buffy hissed at her husband. She raised her brow and shook her head at him.

“Sorry,” Spike offered, a little embarrassed himself. “I get a little crude from time to time and don’t know when to shut the fuck up.

“Ohhh,” Buffy groaned softly.

Dr. Noxen chuckled heartily, “it’s okay, Mrs. Williamson,” he grinned at Buffy. “Let’s just be happy that your husband is going to be all right. In fact, he’s so strong? He’ll be out of this place in a few days, tops.”

Buffy sighed in relief; Spike sighed in relief and hell, even Dr. Noxen sighed in relief.

“There’s a man, an Englishman, outside in the waiting room. He was here, with Mrs. Williamson last night,” Dr. Noxen added quickly. “Say’s he’s your cousin Mr. Williamson, a Mr. Wesley Rhys-Smythe?”

“Yes,” Buffy heaved a sigh, “he is Will’s cousin. Has he been here all night?”

“I believe so,” Dr. Noxen replied. “The night staff assured him that he’d be able to see his cousin,” the doctor nodded at Will, “this morning.”

“Good old Wes,” Spike mumbled softly, a look of pure adoration on his handsome face.

“There’s a police Captain, also, Mrs. Williamson,” Dr. Noxen added. “A Captain Wilkens? He’s here with another gentleman, a Mr. Rupert Giles. They’re out in the waiting room. I told them that only one visitor at a time can speak with your husband?”

“Of course,” Buffy nodded eagerly. “I’ll go out and speak to my boss, and Mr. Giles. Wesley can come in now, see his cousin?”

She turned and looked at Will for approval.

“Yeah,” Spike nodded good naturedly, “old Wes can come pay his respects. But don’t go anywhere, baby,” he ordered Buffy gently. “I’ve got plans for you for later and…”

“I told your wife to be ‘cautious’ with you, Mr. Williamson,” Dr. Noxen scowled at Spike. “For a while anyway?” The good doctor blushed bright red, something quite amazing for an educated physician.

“Oh, all right,” Spike growled in exasperation. “But I still want my Buffy here, every night with me. While I’m in this fucking place.”

“That can be arranged,” Dr. Noxen smirked and left the room. Leaving the couple together, alone, again.

“He really is trying to help you know?” Buffy crossed her arms over her chest and tilted her head to one side.

“Yeah,” Spike grumbled, “but he’s too damn good looking and I don’t like the fact that he was checking out your arse. I saw it, Buffy, I did!”

“Oh, Will,” Buffy giggled, “it doesn’t matter who checks out my arse, or anything. You’re the one that I belong with! Always will.” She leaned over the bed and kissed her husband, full on his wonderful mouth.

“I am going to have Wes come in and see you,” Buffy winked at William. “Behave,” she ordered gently and headed towards the door. Before she opened it and went outside, she turned and blew Will a kiss with her hand.

“I’ll be right outside,” she said, grinning like a loon at her mate.


“Hey Captain, Giles,” Buffy greeted the two men, wearily. Wesley had already hightailed it into William’s room and Buffy decided to ‘chat’ with her superior and her mentor for a while. Give the two cousins a chance to talk between themselves.

“Buffy, dear,” Giles began, taking her hand in his. “I’m so glad your husband is all right. Sorry about Harris,” he added, curtly, “had no idea what a mess the poor man was.”

Captain Wilkens interjected quickly, “Harris was always a loose canon, Giles. He fooled us all, though. Made us believe he was an idiot without a purpose. Apparently? We were wrong. He had a purpose all right.”


Buffy flinched, unintentionally, but covered it, quickly. It would do no good to show either of these men how sad she truly was over her old friend’s death.

“Amy?” Buffy changed the subject quickly as she could.

“She was freed, last night,” Wilkens grunted as he sat on the chair to the right of Buffy. “Miss Jenkins’ statement made everything clear. Miss St. Claire was framed from the start. By Harris, that worm Meers and even maybe O’Connor. Who, by the way,” the Captain frowned here, “disappeared hours after we brought Meers in.”

“Too bad,” Buffy sighed, “he’s probably the one that was threatening Amy and her son. Making things…”

“No,” Giles shook his head firmly. “Angel was caught, just hours ago. Up in Frisco. He’s up to his neck in the muck, of course, Webster’s mess. However, we have every reason to believe that it was not Angel O’Connor who was going after the Webster brass ring.”

“Miss St. Claire is on her way to St. David, Arizona,” Giles added quickly. “To collect her son. She gave this to me,” Giles handed a folded letter over to Buffy. “Said she wanted you to read this, after she was gone.”

“Meers? His family,” Wilkens interjected, “they’re safe.”

“Stashed away,” Wilkens continued for Giles. “Meers started giving out all kinds of sweet info on a lot of folks. Scott Hope and Marcie Ross? Warrants were sent out, immediately on them and they’ve been picked up. Along with O’Connor, of course and that saintly looking rookie, Doyle. He, Angel? He’s crying like a virgin bridesmaid at her younger sister’s wedding,” Captain Wilkens began to laugh, heartily.

“Nice analogy, Wilkens,” Rupert Giles tsked in disapproval.

“Oh, Angel,” Buffy sighed again, a little saddened that such a great mind would go to such a waste. “The others?” She asked, a little more then curious.

“Oh,” Wilkens added, smugly, “a lot of Sunnydale’s finest are going to fry for this. Including that pompous Robin Wood and some of his constituents. This is only the tip of the iceberg, Buffy,” the Captain continued. “There’s so many names on this list that Wesley Rhys-Smythe handed us, plus with Meers’ statements? We’ll be handing out sentences forever!” Captain Wilkens looked a little to ‘excited’ by all this intrigue.

“Never could stand that prick,” Wilkens replied, matter-of-factly, with a shrug. “Besides,” the police captain added, “Meers ‘saw’ someone else. Plenty of times at Webster’s apartment and recently, too. Old Warren? He couldn’t match a face, anywhere to the mystery man. But he described him all right. Tall, built like a heavyweight boxer. Fair hair, dark eyes. A real all American kind of guy.”

“Buffy,” Giles whispered quietly, “we think it just might be Riley. If it is?” The older man left the sentence unfinished.

“Oh,” Buffy murmered, a little less surprised then she should have been. “I see,” she finished abruptly. She decided to change the subject, quickly.

“Where’s Anya?” Buffy asked suddenly, afraid that the poor woman was just wondering around Sunnydale, lost and confused.

“I had Rosenberg and her gal pal come and take her home. To their place,” Wilkens offered, shyly. “Thought maybe they could help the poor thing. It was her tesitimony, after all, that clinched Harris as the murderer.”

Buffy smiled at her boss, Captain Wilkens. “You know, Captain,” she giggled softly, “you may just turn out to be a real human being after all.”

“Well,” Wilkens stuttered, “maybe.”

“Rhys-Smythe,” Giles began carefully, “he claims that William’s parents, Johnathan and Anne Williamson are going to be here? In Sunnydale?”

Buffy glanced at Giles, warily. Her mentor looked as if he’d found out that the Easter Bunny was real and was going to hop by for lunch.

“Forget it, Giles,” Buffy mumbled, giving the older man a ‘look’ to warn him. “They’re here to see to their son, nothing more. We’re not going to play ‘Clue’ and all while they’re around. Let the British legal system take care of my husband’s father, please, Rupert?”

Giles took off his glasses and cleaned them, thorougly, then returned them to his face. “Yes, Buffy,” he sighed with disappointment. “I suppose you’re right. The British should handle their own mess, but…”

“Giles,” Buffy hissed softly, “I said to forget it. Please.”

“Your folks are on their way, dear,” Giles quickly turned the subject to a more pleasant one. “They should be here, soon.”



Buffy had returned to Will’s side, after Wesley talked to him. She stayed with him for hours until she realized that it was time to get home to their apartment. Take a shower, check on Winston (who had been watched over by Mrs. Wiggins until then) and get some fresh clothing. Buffy was to spend the night, every night with Will until he was out of hospital.

Of course, there was also the little matter of William’s parents. They were due in Sunnydale in mere minutes and Buffy had to prepare everything for them. At her and Will’s apartment that is.

Wesley was going to bring Will’s folks to the apartment, as soon as they arrived in Sunnydale Airport. Buffy, Wes and the Williamsons would go from there to the hospital to see Will.

“It’s going to be fine,” Buffy sing-songed as she tidied up the apartment, quickly. She was just packing some fresh clothing, to go to the hospital for the night. Winston was bounding about the bedroom, his huge feet getting in his way as he stumbled about the place, apparently thrilled to see at least one of his ‘parents’ at home.


“Chill, Winston,” Buffy giggled at the puppy. “Daddy’ll be home, soon. Then we can think about getting things straightened out here in California. After that? Well…”

Buffy’s convo with Winston was interrupted by the front door bell of the apartment. Without thinking, Buffy closed the bedroom door, halfway that is, and hurried to the front door. She assumed that it was Wesley and Will’s parents as she took a deep, calming breath and opened the oaken door.

Imagine her great surprise, when she found none other then Riley Finn standing in the doorway. His ‘aw shucks’ patent farm boy smile plastered all over his handsome face.


A/N: Told you…this fic is getting waaayyy too long! Anyway, I hope this chapter explained some things to readers.

Oh, I’ve been told I tend to make Buffy a little too weak in my stories. I promise, in the next chapter? Our Slayer is going to kick ass and take names!!!

Hold onto your seats guys! The next chapter is going to be a ‘bumpy’ ride! Thanks for reading, please review, luv Spuf.