Chapter 4



He panicked.

Everything he’d been dreaming about was right there on top of him.

Buffy’s legs spread over him. Her hot little quim pressed down on his cock, sending shockwaves through his system. Her hands resting on his chest while her mouth descended toward his. It was too much for William to take. He wasn’t supposed to get the girl.

It had to be this place. The end result of one of Willow’s spells. Buffy couldn’t really want him. And he couldn’t hold Buffy again then let her go. It would destroy him.

Dumping her on the floor really wasn’t the best way to handle it. A nice rejection or some sensible talk would have worked. But no, Spike, the idiot pushed her onto the floor. Buffy muttered something about a ‘worthless vampire’ and that she was out of her mind. She was scrambling to stand up. He had to try and fix this.

“You have to admit it was the spell,” Spike said. “I mean…”

“You shoved me on the floor because of the spell?”

“No, you trying to kiss me,” he said, lifting his head to see her sitting beside him.

“In your dreams, Spike,” Buffy declared.

“Oh, come on, you were going to kiss me.”

“Was not,” Buffy said, standing.

Spike half expected her to stick her tongue out at him. She didn’t.

“Maybe you should just let me lead,” Spike purred, jumping up. If he couldn’t win her with the truth then maybe he could get her with romance.

“Lead what?” Buffy asked. Her eyebrow shot up in perfect sync with her arms crossed and her hip jutted out. He smiled at her pose. Typical Buffy and he loved it. Oh, god, he loved her.

“This dance we keep doing.”

She just stared at him as he took one hand and placed it on his shoulder. The other he clasped in his hand up at shoulder height. He began to waltz but she didn’t follow.

“Uh, there’s no music,” Buffy said.

“Yes, there is,” Spike said. “Close your eyes.”

“No.”

“Damn it, Slayer, just close your bloody eyes and live a little for once.”

She blinked, then after nibbling on her lip for a microsecond she closed them. He hummed and she smiled. Together they waltzed across the floor. She kept her eyes closed but there was a dreamy smile on her face. He just hoped it was him that was putting it there.

“Spike, did you go to a lot of fancy parties when you were human?”

“Some, but I wasn’t part of Society,” Spike said, wishing he didn’t have to talk about this. He didn’t want her to know the truth. “More like the middle class of today.”

“Oh, did you like the parties?” Buffy said, looking up at him again.

“Not really,” Spike said. His voice quavered. “It was after I left a party that Drusilla found me.”

“What happened?”

“She found me, seduced me into letting her bite me and then I became the big bad.”

Buffy stopped and stared at him. “Why would you let her seduce you? Didn’t you have a girlfriend?”

“Wasn’t quite the man you see before you,” Spike said. “I left the party…upset because I’d been rejected and humiliated by a girl and her friends.”

There it was out in the open. Buffy now knew what a failure of a human he’d been. She studied him for a moment while he waited for her laughter and taunts. He started when he felt her hand on his cheek.

“They were fools,” Buffy said, stroking his jaw. She smiled then nestled close to him again. “Let’s dance some more.”

Not believing it was real Spike nonetheless gathered her closer to him, resting his cheek against hers as he began to hum again. They were lost in the magic of the place. It was the only explanation. Maybe if they were lucky they’d never have to return. His mind weaved a fantasy of living here with Buffy forever, making love all day, playing all night, not having to deal with anyone’s condemnation of their relationship.

“Yeah, sure mate,” Spike thought. “No telly, no video games, no one to fight with, no good booze, wearing these poncy clothes forever. Oh, no, we need to get out of here and soon.”

No matter how much he loved Buffy, he didn’t think either one of them wanted to stay here forever. It would be great for a while but soon they would both be itching for something more. Eventually they would kill each other just for the sport of it. He was trying to figure out a way to extricate himself from their present loving mood without hurting her feelings again when her stomach rumbled loudly.

“Sounds like you need something to eat, pet,” Spike said, taking a chance and kissing her forehead. “Let’s go raid the fridge.”

Buffy sighed, slipped her hand in his. “Okay, food now would be a very good thing.” She yawned, patting her mouth with her free hand. “Then sleep, definitely sleep would be of the good.”

It was then that it struck him that there was only one bed. He’d offered to sleep on the floor but he wondered if Buffy in this new frame of mind would allow him next to her. Of course, for sleeping purposes only, but his body tingled at the thought of having Buffy all cuddled beside him.

They walked, hand in hand, to the kitchen in silence. Buffy was still wearing a slight smile on her pretty face. It was different to see her happy and relaxed. She was never this laid back. Not in all the time he’d known her and especially since Glory came to Sunnydale. He couldn’t keep his eyes off of her. She caught him one time and she stepped closer to him.

“So, what are you in the mood for, Slayer?” Spike asked when they arrived at the kitchen. “Cheese, fruit, ice cream?”

“A pizza,” Buffy said, opening the fridge. “But I guess Pizza Hut doesn’t deliver out here.”

“Probably not,” Spike said, reaching around her to grab the cheese tray. There were some sliced meats on another try and he grabbed that one too. A quick forage through the cabinets and he found some tomato sauce and spices. “It won’t be the best in the world but it might make do.”

“What are you doing?” Buffy asked, watching him.

“Making you pizza,” Spike said. He mixed spices into the sauce, tasting it with his forefinger when he thought it was ready. “A little more garlic and it should be good.”

“Not too much,” Buffy said, wrinkling her nose. “Did you see toothbrushes in that bathroom?”

“Worried about having bad breath the next time you try to kiss me?”

“No, of course not.”

“Ah, so you admit you were trying to kiss me?”

“Oh, just shut up and cook, Spike. I’m faint with hunger and can’t be held responsible for what I’m saying.”

The only response Spike could make was to laugh and shake his head. He built the little pizzas on crackers then set them in the oven for the cheese to melt. While Buffy watched with chin in hand, leaning on the counter, he proceeded to heat up some blood then prepare a fruit tray for dessert.

“Hold on, Spike,” Buffy said, looking around the room. “I saw something earlier for you.” She rummaged through a few cabinets while he waited. “Aha, knew it was here,” she turned back to him, triumphantly holding up an insulated carafe. “This way you can take all the blood you want upstairs and not have to worry about it getting all congealed and nasty.”

For a moment he couldn’t say anything. He cocked his head, staring at her, and praying this was really Buffy, not the spell. “Thank you,” he finally said, with a smile. “I appreciate it.”

“No problem,” Buffy said. “You fixed me pizza, I fix your blood. Eew, I just said that didn’t I?” She giggled.

He shook his head and pulled the pizzas from the oven. Buffy was practically drooling as she stared at the bubbling cheeses and meats.

“Well, let’s get everything loaded on a tray,” Spike said. “And move this party upstairs before I have to carry you, too.”

It didn’t take them long to get everything assembled. Spike grabbed the tray with the food while Buffy carried the carafe and a bottle of champagne. It would be their first dinner together just the two of them. Spike wanted it to be special even if it was a forced issue. They had everything they needed for a romantic meal. And it seemed that maybe, just maybe, Buffy was starting to like him. He decided he really had to thank the Scoobies for this chance when they got home.


to be continued…