Chapter 8



Buffy woke to find Spike staring down at her. His head was propped on his hand while the fingers of his other hand softly stroked her arm. He smiled when he saw her eyes open. She waited for a reaction from herself. Maybe shoving him away anytime he was too close like she usually did or maybe make a joke about giving in to her need for him and the amazing sex they’d shared late into the night. She couldn’t though. His gaze was so tender that it made her melt inside. No one had ever conveyed so much with one look. There was love, protection, and a happiness she had brought to him.

“Hey,” Buffy whispered, trailing a finger along his jaw. “Is it morning?”

“I think so,” Spike replied. “It’s still storming outside so I’m not quite sure.” He laughed. “I guess we can form our own time here.”

“How lovely,” Buffy breathed, rolling onto her back. She stretched her body like a cat after a long nap. A yawn escaped her as she pressed her hands against the headboard. “I can’t remember the last time I could sleep without having a half dozen problems racing through my mind.”

“So, go back to sleep,” Spike whispered, kissing her shoulder. “I’ll keep an ear and eye open for anything. Not that I think we’ve got too much to worry about here.”

“Ditto that,” Buffy said, with a short laugh. Her body was aching in all the right places from earlier. Somehow she’d always known that Spike would be a good lover. Watching him maneuver his lean, muscular body in fights let her know that he did know how to move. He’d proven that her suspicions about his prowess were right. She couldn’t help but smile at the way he brought her so easily to satisfaction even without the aid of the balm. That had just taken her completely to the top, but it was his expertise that had taken her over the edge. “Nah, I don’t think sleep is what I want,” Buffy flirted, batting her eyes up at him.

“What exactly do you want, Luv?” Spike asked, sliding his hand along her stomach.

“A hot bath,” Buffy replied with a giggle. She saw the disappointment on his face before he quickly hid it. “Do you want to join me?” She tugged on his hand.

“Yeah, I would.”

Not bothering to cover up they made their way into the bathroom. She started the water running then poured some of the sweet smelling bubble bath into it. Spike was wandering around the room lighting candles. It was a very romantic atmosphere; Buffy decided swirling her hand through the water.

Maybe it would be time to tell Spike how she felt about him. She knew she loved him. He was the only one who really understood her and was there for her no matter what. Without questioning it, she knew he would die for her or for Dawn. The run in with Glory had proven that. It was just easier to admit it here without the disapproval of her friends and all the rules and protocols of being the Slayer.

“Ready?” Spike asked, running his hands along her shoulders.

His question startled her, making her think that he could read her mind. Then she realized he was talking about getting in the tub, and she laughed. “Yeah, I am.”

He held her hand to let her step in first then he stepped in behind her. Settling back, his arms wrapped around her waist. He just held her. No pressure. No confrontation, just an acceptance of who and what she was. He wanted her, the real Buffy, not just the young girl, nor just the woman, not even just the Slayer. He wanted all of her and she was one lucky person to have found someone like that. Now she just had to figure out how to tell him.

“I guess it didn’t work,” Buffy said with a short laugh.

“What didn’t work, pet?”

“You know,” She replied without thinking about the implications of her words. “The us having sex. It didn’t get us home.”

“Bloody hell,” Spike bellowed, pushing her forward. “I should have known better.” He climbed out of the tub while Buffy tried to piece together what she’d just done. “Guess you think I’m just a stupid git for believing that the precious slayer would soil her hands by sleeping with the likes of me.” He grabbed a towel stomped then from the room.

“Ah, shit,” Buffy muttered as she finally put it together. “Spike, it’s not what I meant,” she called after him. She tried to get out of the tub but slipped and fell on her bottom sending water splashing everywhere. The door of the bedroom slammed. “Stupid, stupid, Buffy,” she muttered when she regained her footing and ran for the bedroom. Frantic, she grabbed a robe and took off after Spike.

He was already halfway down the stairs when she reached the main hallway.

”Spike, stop, it came out all wrong,” Buffy called after him as she raced down the stairs. “That wasn’t what I meant at all.”

“Don’t lie now,” Spike shouted as he halted and turned to face her. “God, Buffy…I’m such a fool for believing that you would ever want me. I’m glad that you at least got some satisfaction from your sacrifice.”

“It wasn’t a sacrifice,” Buffy replied, stopping at the bottom of the steps. “I wanted you.”

“Well, that much I figured out, Slayer,” Spike bit out. “You know what? I didn’t crawl into bed with you for the sex or to get home. I did it because I’m enough of an idiot to love you.” He threw his head back and swallowed, then pinned her with a pain filled stare. “Yeah, I said it. I love you, Buffy Summers. Think I always have and probably always will. Now go ahead. Laugh at me. Tell me that someone like you could never love someone like me.” His eyes closed in resignation.

Buffy walked to him, feeling more power than she ever had as a slayer. She cupped his face and brushed his lips with her own. “I love you, too, Spike.”

His eyes flew open as he searched her eyes. “No, you don’t,” he waved a hand. “Don’t play games.”

“Hush,” Buffy whispered, kissing him again. “I love you. You are the best lover I’ve ever had, my best friend, my protector, and the man I love and want beside me.”

“Buffy? You’re not lying?”

“Nope,” she promised with a smile and a small shake of her head. “I will love you until the day I die…which is not a really wise thing for me to say but…”

“And I will give my life to make sure you stay alive,” Spike vowed, wrapping his arms around her. “I love you, too.”

“Kiss me, you fool,” Buffy teased, pulling him closer. Thankfully, he took it the way she meant it and covered her mouth with his. The kiss held every emotion that their words had conveyed. It was absolutely perfect…until Spike shoved her away and she landed on the ground.

It was the ground in the cemetery that they had started off in. And the demons were right where they’d left off. “Damn it,” Buffy muttered, jumping up to help Spike fight them off. They stood back to back as they fought them off. It didn’t take long because they were both angry about being interrupted. The last one fell and Buffy looked up to find Spike staring at her again.

“Seems we’re back, Luv,” Spike said, looking around. “Well, at least they put us back into our regular clothes when we came back.”

Buffy nodded. The reality of their lives crashed through her emotions. She stared at Spike remembering everything they’d done together in that special place. It wasn’t real here. None of it was. Tears filled her eyes as she wondered if they’d left everything back there. There was only way to find out. She held out her hand to him. He took it with a gentle smile.

“So, you want to come live with me and Dawn?” Buffy asked, putting her heart on the line.

“Sounds good to me,” Spike replied, wrapping his arm around her and pulling her close. He kissed her quickly. “Think I can get through the rest of this night. Get my stuff from my crypt tomorrow.”

“Race you back to the house,” Buffy called as she took off at a run. “I still need a bath.”

“Hey, no fair,” Spike called, chasing after her.

They hit the front steps at the same time where Buffy immediately shushed him from arguing about who’d won.

”We don’t want to wake anyone,” she whispered, placing her hand over his mouth. She saw the insecurity in his eyes. “Don’t want to share you until tomorrow.”

He smiled at her as she unlocked the door and led him inside the darkened house and up the stairs. Buffy’s heart was pounding when they reached her bedroom. This was really happening. Spike was with her. He was going to live with her and everyone else be damned. The only one who would be happy about it would be Dawn, but they’d come around. They just had to get to know him. She switched the light on and started to toe her boots off.

“Buffy, where did you get this from?” Spike asked, making her turn around. She spotted a snow globe of Sleeping Beauty’s castle that she’d gotten at Disneyland when she was a child. When she’d sorted through her mother’s belongings she found it and placed it in her room.

“A long time ago,” Buffy said, coming to stand beside him. “I used to dream I’d live in it with my prince.”

“Wonder if it was them doing a spell or your fantasies that took us there,” Spike remarked, shaking it so the snow fell over the castle.

“It is kind of like…”

“Our castle of love,” Spike finished with a sheepish grin. He put the globe down. “Now, you know why I was a bloody awful poet.”

“Love you anyway,” Buffy said, kissing him. She pulled him down onto the bed. “I think the bath can wait.”

“Me too, Luv, me too,” Spike said, following her down.

Buffy looked over her shoulder at the castle, winking at the twinkling light from the tower room. Sometimes magic came from unexpected places and you just had to be thankful for it. She knew she was.

And they lived happily ever after…

Well, not really, but for the most part they did.



~~~The End~~~