By the way, thank you to all the readers and especially to those who reviewed. It makes me happy to see someone is actually reading this!!

Glen of Cloongallon, Ireland

Spring, 1602, Same evening

Not much more was said between the slayer and the vampire on the trek back to the shop. Every once in a while, they would glance at one another sideways, but neither spoke a word.

Aelwyn pointed to her home as she led him up to the door, lifted the latch and stepped inside. She turned when she realized he had not followed her and he stared at her shyly while she stared back in anticipation.

"Uh, can't come in, slayer. I'd have to be invited firstly," he timidly explained.

"Oh," she mentally chided herself. "O' course. Ye're welcome to come in…what be yer name?"

"Eamonn. It be Eamonn." He smiled sincerely and if she wasn't aware of what he really was, she would have thought him just a normal boy, or young man rather, visiting her home.

"Welcome, Eamonn," and she stepped aside, bowing and holding out her arm to let him come inside.

He returned the bow as he slowly stepped over the threshold, half expecting to be thrown back by the invisible barrier. He planted his feet side by side once all the way in, turned his head and smiled at her once again.

"Thank ye."

Ael nodded and began to light the candles and lamps sitting about the shop.

"Can I get ye anything. Soda bread, crackers, we have some dried…oh, forgive me. Ye probably don't eat normal foods."

"Aye, but I do. It's not for nourishment, just for simple pleasure. The tastes are heightened, ye know, with the vampire special…s'alright. I don't need a thing. I'm fine."

He began to wander around, taking in the various jars of herbs, balms and potions lining the shelves on one wall. While Ael finished lighting the last lamp, he had found a chair next to the wall and sat, fidgeting while waiting apprehensively for what the slayer had in mind. He was nervous beyond a doubt as he suddenly stood and flitted over to the counter before Ael could utter a single word.

Eamonn was trying his best not to show any signs of uneasiness or fear from being in the company of a slayer. He was a creature of the night, by all rights he should act somewhat like one. So he casually hopped onto the counter and feigned indifference as he gazed about the room, making a point not to look in her general direction.

Ael, on the other hand, was very curious of her guest indeed. She tried to wait for her watcher to come home, but her inquisitiveness was getting the better of her as she stood across from the peculiar vampire and stared directly at him.

He must have felt her gaze upon him as he slowly turned his eyes to meet hers, and she leisurely made her way up to him, not breaking eye contact. He looked uncomfortable briefly.

"May I…can I see yer face?" her voice came out barely above a whisper. His eyes widened, body stiffened.

"Pardon me?" he whispered back.

"I…I would like to know if I can see yer…vampire face?" she stuttered but with more confidence.

By the time he could vocalize a response to her question, she was standing directly in front of him, not more than an arms length away. Silence drifted between them. He slowly shifted into his demon façade, her eyes widened and mouth fell open. She unconsciously lifted her hand up to his face and he flinched a bit causing her to stop it in midair and hold her breath.

"May I?" her voice was soft, nearly inaudible. Eamonn leaned forward, granting her request.

Her fingers traced the ridge above his brow, dipping up and down over the bumps that formed his forehead. Ael was mesmerized by his eyes as they seem to glow a deep, golden topaz while the candlelight flickered and played over his demon features. One finger trailed down his nose and around his mouth, which opened just a bit when her digit stopped right below his bottom lip. She pushed on his chin, hoping he would open his mouth wider. He complied, shamelessly displaying his canines.

"They look very sharp indeed," her words were breathy. All he could do was nod meagerly. The pad of her thumb grazed the pointed tip of his fang, leaning forward inadvertently to get a closer look. She didn't notice him squeeze his eyes shut or the sharp intake of air he unintentionally took. His senses were on overload, the skin tingling where she touched, nostrils filled with the smell of the girl, like sweet heather and lavender.

"Get away from her!" A man screamed causing Ael to draw back and Eamonn to tumble off the counter backwards, landing with a thud on the floor. She ran towards Kyle standing in the doorway waving her hands in front of her.

"S'alright, da. We were talking and I asked to see his vampire face. Nothing more. Everything be fine."

Kyle had been shaking in his shoes while Ael explained matters. Once she was finished, he had calmed himself down considerably.

"I thought…thought he was going to…to attack ye," Kyle stuttered. Ael shook her head no.

Meanwhile, Eamonn's eyes peered over the counter after slipping back to his human guise. Ael turned and saw the display, bursting out in a fit of giggles at the sight.

"Everything be fine, Eamonn. This be my watcher, Kyle McTavish. He was just a trifle concerned. Ye can come on out, I promise he'll be nice."

Eamonn stood up straight, made his way back around the counter warily and looked over at the watcher reluctantly.

"Very nice to meet you, sir. Apologies for setting a bad impression. I mean no harm. Honest, sir. I fight on yer side, tis the truth." Eamonn tried earnestly to explain. Silence eddied between them as they surveyed one another.

The watcher nodded once. Something about this vampire seemed to impress the watcher, whether it was the almost soulful like quality in his eyes, the honesty with a hint of trepidation in his voice, or his overall appearance, which Kyle knew all could be deceiving.

Truth be told, he realized he allowed himself to discriminate, that all demons must be evil and bad. But the darkness that a demon usually possessed didn't seem to flow from or surround this particular vampire. He could sense it and he knew both Gaelargh and Aelwyn could see and feel it as well from their relaxed statures around the vampire.

"Do ye mind answering some questions…Eamonn is it?"

"Aye, and not a t'all, sir."

All four sat down around the small table in the middle of the room. Aelwyn was all too curious to know more about Eamonn on a more personal level: his birthplace, parents' names, age, but understood that Kyle would be the main interrogator if not only for research sake.

It wasn't that he was uncaring, but usually his interest was on a scholarly level in dealing with the demon multitude. The more he could find out about demons, the better he could prepare his charges for the dangers that lurked out in the cold, cruel world at night. But alas, if he ever came across a highly unusual species of demon or discovered unusual traits of familiar demons, his ego could get the better of him. Just knowing that the possibility he was more privy to actual demons or artifacts than the council of watchers would make him positively giddy.

Kyle cleared his throat. "When did ye happen to be turned?"

"1547 in Dublin. Three days after my 18th year. My da was from London, ma from Galway. Had two sisters and one brother. I've been here ever since I was sired by Fredrique du Rouge after he had lost not only his sire but his childe as well and I think…" Eamonn paused.

One question and he had rattled off a slew of answers. No one spoke and Eamonn looked embarrassed that he had opened up so freely. He peered up at Aelwyn and she gave him a genuine smile, hoping to comfort his discomposure.

He looked over at the watcher. "Pardon, I tend to go on. It's been a while since I've really had anyone take an interest."

Kyle held a hand up and smiled. "No worries. It does save on asking the questions. So ye said Fredrique du Rouge was yer sire? A very interesting species er…vampire. I've read up on him before."

"Aye, we had become friends, I never figured that he was a creature of the night til the eve I took a knife to the gullet for him. Bleedin' terribly bad and couldn't speak. He saved me by turning me."

"And ye held no remorse for his illiberal and barbaric actions? The selfishness of his bloodthirst?"

"A bit at first but didn't last. We ran together til…til he was killed by a band of demons. ‘Bout twenty years or so ago."

"Have you ever sired anyone, Eamonn?"

"Nay, I have not. I have not touched a human since then and I have never killed a human, sir."

"Then tell me how do ye get yer nourishment?"

"Before, it was from humans who we would find passed out in the alleys, drunkards from the pubs, or desolate and willing humans who we could pay. Most of the time, farm animals or wild animals. I have never killed a human, though."

"I believe ye. But why is that?"

Eamonn shrugged and shook his head back and forth. "I don't know, sir. Never had an inclination to kill. I'd rather hunt for animals, I feel more primal that way. S'funny, I feel compassion, remorse, love, hatred. I feel all of it and it doesn't shame me. The demon is there, can feel it, but I don't know. I can feel all the rest overpowering it."

"Ye seem like a smart lad. Sounds like ye've been educated."

"Aye, I have been. I've learned so much more being a vampire, about demons and such. And I would like to help ye. All of ye for the greater good if ye will let me. I understand I will have to earn yer trust. I'd be willing to do anything, research, help with slaying. Anything."

"Well, Eamonn, ye seem to be quite an interesting young…man, one I truly and honestly believe we could benefit from the all around expertise ye have. But don't go assumin' I'm lettin' me guard down around ye just yet, lad. Trust is a lifetime asset that we take stock in. I suggest ye don't misuse it with anyone of us for we don't take mistrust lightly."

Eamonn looked deep into the watcher's eyes and knew he was telling the truth, knew right then and there as they exchanged glances that he could trust this man, this human, a mortal enemy of demons such as the likes of him. He vowed he would do right by the watcher, the slayer and the sorceress from that day forward.

"Aye, sir. I will not let ye down. I swear to it." A cool hand grasped the warm one extended over the table and an unusual alliance had begun.

~~*~~

Sunnydale, March 2002

the following day

"Buffy, do you trust him?" Willow looked at her best friend skeptically.

"Will, out of all these years that we've known Spike, don't you think it's about time we at least could give him the benefit of a doubt? I mean, between you and Dawnie telling me stories of how he helped out last summer when I wasn't even here and living. I think at least that's enough to allow at least a smidgen of trust. Besides, I can't sit idly by and watch one of my friends get hurt even if it is something we haven't even seen yet. It could be Warren and his band of semi-evil cronies doing their ignorant business, whatever that may be."

"Oh," Willow's eyes widened with the one syllable word.

"What, oh?" Buffy asked.

"I just…I didn't know you considered Spike your friend." she explained.

Buffy remained silent while she contemplated what she had previously said.

"Well, yeah, I guess I did and I guess he is. He's more of a friend than I have been since I got back…to anyone." Her voice trailed off with a tinge of sadness to it.

"Buffy, that's so not true. You're a wonderful friend. I wouldn't trade you for anything."

"Thanks, Will. That's means a lot. It's just that…my relationship with Spike is complicated. We've been bitter enemies, been reluctant allies, acquaintances, annoyances, friends, love…um, love er hate…it's a love hate relationship, that's what it is." Buffy had to turn away from her friend, trying her hardest to cover her slip up and hoping Willow didn't catch it.

Willow remained quiet and Buffy turned to look at her. "Okay. I understand. Even though you mentioned love and Spike in the same breath. Just…be careful."

"Always am."

Near sundown, Buffy headed out to Spike's crypt, telling herself she was just checking on him. Make sure no nasties had surprised him during the night. Deep down she feared for his safety, and knew if something ever happened to him, her life would crumble to pieces. At this stage in her life, her resurrected life, he was her lifeline, her rock. And even though she could never mention it to him or anybody else, she knew it.

So, she did what she did best, protect the innocent. She giggled silently to herself. Spike and innocent didn't go together. Innocence was not one of his traits but that was a whole other issue in itself, something she didn't really worry about anymore. He was trying and he was changing, right in front of her eyes. He had become less harsh, less abrasive. Hmm, sounded like an ad for a tub cleaner. She shook her head and sighed.

Surely she wasn't the only one who could see it. Her friends always seemed oblivious to certain things and with Spike, well, they would always see him as an evil thing. She sang that tune countless times over and over again, why shouldn't they? But the walls she had built to keep him out were toppling over slowly day by day. She just hoped for his sake he wasn't acting just to get her in his comfy bed, in his wily ways, to cross over to the dark side.

Nah, something new bloomed within her when it concerned him. Trust. A good foundation to start with. Belief was just a block away, ready to be added onto the next layer. Something good was going to come out of this relationship one of these days. Maybe when her walls were completely demolished and the new groundwork was finished between the two of them, then she could let her friends in for the party. Hopefully tolerance was one of his strong characteristics, though and he had the patience to wait for her to let everyone else in.

His crypt came into view just as the sun slowly slid past the horizon and the last remaining rays trickled through the branches of the trees that loomed up and around the cemetery. She stopped a foot from the steps that led up to the door. She had always just plowed her way through it countless times before but she must be going soft for she couldn't decide if she should start knocking before entering. Would be more considerate. He may start thinking something was wrong with her if she did, or take it the wrong way knowing Spike. Maybe she would knock and then let herself in, she thought as she walked up the steps.

Just as the decision was made and her hand was up in the air to commence with the knocking, the door flew open causing her to jump and in that split second a sharp twang was heard followed by a shower of eggs dropping on both their heads from up above. She gasped, he growled.

Sticky, gooey egg slid down her face and plopped onto the ground around her. Her hair was plastered down and the sickly smell of raw eggs made her want to throw up. Spike swiped his arm across his face, spitting and sputtering the yolk and whites out of his mouth.

"Something of your doing?" he snapped.

"Uh, yeah, cause I didn't think my hair was shiny enough so I thought we both could use a little egg treatment. Why would you think such an absurd thing, of course I didn't do this."

"I know that but…who in bloody hell is doing this? I'm gonna kill 'em. I'm not gonna put up with these piddly, infantile pranks. Adolescent, immature, juvenile delinquents."

"Are you finished?"

"Quite….I've got some towels. Um---sorry you seem to be getting caught in the middle of all this rubbish, pet. I'm sure this was just meant for me but you seem to be getting the brunt of these antics just as well."

He handed her a clean towel to wipe off any remaining residue before it dried on as he cleaned himself off as best he could.

"Yeah, what's up with that? I'm just out doing my job, checking in on you to make sure no one has dusted you overnight, protecting citizens as well as our fair city and I get egged. How unfair is that?"

"You were worried 'bout me?" he smirked.

"Worry is a highly over-rated word. Concerned, maybe. I mean, I do need you for back-up on patrols you know. Can't be doing such things if your lying around here all dusty, now can you?"

"Hmm, suppose not. I had no intruders last night after you left but apparently one or more outside the crypt today while I slept. Whoever this is they’re pretty cunning and sly. I’ve decided they will be stopped and I will make them pay…uh, just not pay with their lives, I mean." He quickly inverted.

He looked up and pondered. "Maybe a limb or two would be good payment." He chuckled to himself and noticed Buffy smile as well as she shook her head back and forth.

"Well, I'm going to head home and take a long, hot shower to get this ooze off." She handed the towel back to him.

"Uh, Buffy? Can I borrow it after you're done? Please?" he cringed internally at sounding like a complete ponce.

The first thing that popped into her head was 'when does Spike ever say please?' The second was 'when did he become so considerate and polite?' The third was 'naked, wet Spike in my shower'. She shook them all out of her head and smiled sincerely at him.

"Sure, but I'm warning you, I may use up all the hot water." Both walked out the door heading towards the Summers' home, the remaining egg shells crunching underneath their departing feet.

"Well, you know we can conserve a lot of the hot water if we take it together." His usual smirk graced his face, one brow lifted up. A stern over-my-dead-body Buffy look was thrown back in his direction. He cleared his throat and looked amiably forward.

"Of course that is totally out of the question and I’m…shutting up now." Spike mumbled.

Buffy smiled and mused at the newfound camaraderie that now graced their lives.

TBC