CHAPTER 6 - The Castle


Buffy opened her eyes to the warm feeling of sunlight pouring in through freshly drawn curtains. She wrinkled her nose at the musty and medicinal smells in the room, and cuddled in her bed longer. She did not want to get up to her chores this morning. The loss of servants was never so strongly felt as on a cold morning.

In the middle of a sigh, Buffy froze. The window was not where it was supposed to be and this was not her bed. She sat up with a start, tumbling the covers from her body. Instantly she was hit by the cold air and a spell of dizziness. Holding her head in her hands she tried to recognize her surroundings through blurry eyes.

The room was large, in fact larger than any bedroom they possessed in Summerly Estate. It also seemed to be rarely used as the odour revealed. Next to the bed there were bandages and potions lying on a small table. Also beside them was her locket and chain.

Buffy picked it up, gratefully thankful to see her memento close to her. The sight of the locket brought her memories of the dark night racing back. The ambush, the struggle for the gun and the sight of Ted as he fell from the carriage. She closed her eyes trying to remove the images from her memory.

"You're awake!" the astonished cry came from a corner of the room.

Buffy turned to see a young maid curtsying in the doorway. She seemed very shy, not raising her eyes from the floor as she spoke.

"I'm sorry my lady for my impertinence. I was only stupidly showing my surprise."

"That's alright, but who are you? And where am I?" Buffy glanced around the room again for a sight, perhaps, of someone familiar.

"Oh, I'm sorry my lady." The maid curtsied again. "My name is Tara. I am to be your maid here at Ripper Castle."

"Ripper Castle!" Buffy didn't know whether to be relieved or depressed to have reached her destination.

"Yes, my lady. I suppose you're wondering about your current condition?" Tara raised her eyes cautiously and looked towards her new mistress.

Buffy smiled at the nervous girl and motioned her closer. "Yes I am. Last thing I remember is my carriage rolling around the countryside, with me in it!"

Tara couldn't help but smile at the small joke. Then, immediately realising she shouldn't forget her position, put a serious expression on her face again.

"That must have been appalling my lady."

"Yes, more so for Lord Ripper's poor carriage." Buffy said dryly.

Tara smiled again. This time she even lifted her head fully to give Buffy a good look at her. She was a pretty girl with, golden hair pulled tightly back under her cap and bright blue eyes that sparkled with humour.

"Tara, you need not be so formal with me as I see you have taken such good care of me in my hour of need." Buffy motioned to the table next to her.

"You can call me Elizabeth or Buffy like my friends do at home."

"Oh, I could never take such liberties, my lady. Besides, Mr. Travers would not approve."

At Buffy's questioning gaze, Tara explained hurriedly, "Oh, Mr Travers is the butler. He does not approve of any names for the family or guests. Well, besides 'my Lady' or 'my Lord' of course."

Buffy smiled in amusement, it sounded like Mr Travers kept the staff at the castle very closely under his thumb.

"Well Tara, perhaps we can keep it just between the two of us. I insist you call me Buffy and I will call you Tara. We are nearly of the same age and we can be friends. Can I request that from you?"

"Yes, of course my lady …I mean Buffy" Tara smiled shyly at the honour given to her by her new mistress.

"Now Tara, how did I happen to get here, in this bed talking to you after my run-in with Lord Ripper's runaway carriage?"

Buffy sat silent as the suddenly talkative Tara narrated her rescue from the crashed carriage by the passing party of Captain Finn and his men. They had luckily been riding into town and noticed the remains of the carriage near the forest.

They had brought her to Ripper Castle recognising the crest on the side of the ruined carriage door. Due to her injuries here she had lain unconscious in this room for the past week as she slowly recovered.

"So you must rest my Lady, the doctor says you must rest for four weeks then you will be allowed to go for a turn about the room and then maybe in a few months you can even go outdoors again."

"A month confined in bed!" Buffy exclaimed.


"It's not so long my lady, Buffy, I mean. I will spend as much time as I can with you after my duties are finished for the day."

"Why do I need to be resting for so long? I already feel better and I have just woken up again. My only complaint is that I am very lethargic."

Tara looked unhappy and guilty. "Lady Ripper's doctor asked me to give you many doses of the sleeping potion each day. I'm afraid I stopped administering them yesterday. I was worried they might be too much. I once worked for the village priest and he told me never to give more than two doses per day to him."

"Sleeping potion?" Buffy asked surprised. "That must be the reason I am so tired. Thank you Tara. You did right to stop giving me that awful potion."

Tara wringed her hands worriedly. "I am so afraid that I will be scolded by Mr Travers and the Doctor when they find out."

"Again it will be our secret. I cannot thank you enough for helping me."

Buffy and Tara shared a smile and thus began their friendship.

Every morning Tara would arrive with breakfast for her new friend and deliberately forget to give her the prescribed medicines. However soon Buffy tired of the luxury of consciousness and wanted freedom to roam and discover her new home.

Tara was horrified at Buffy's thoughts. "Buffy, you cannot! Mr Travers and Lady Ripper would be livid with fury at seeing you up and about. The doctor specifically ordered that you were not even to leave your bed for a month. But you have been dressed and pacing this room so much so that I am afraid you will burn a hole in the carpet."

"Tara, I cannot remain in this room any longer. I simply cannot. I will go crazy without fresh air. I am tired or seeing only these four walls for so many days. Can I not just go for a quick turn in the corridors?"

"Buffy, if anyone saw you or worse if Mr Travers saw you, I would be removed from my post here."

"I would never let that happen to you Tara." Buffy took Tara's hands in her own and smiled at her reassuringly.

"Thank you Buffy!" There were sounds at that moment outside and they ran to their respective positions. Whenever another person came towards this room, Buffy would quickly climb into bed, with the covers hiding her dress and feign sleep and Tara hurried outside to intercept them.

This time it was another maid come to fetch Tara as she was required in the kitchen.

Buffy say up as she heard them walk away, leaving her alone again with only the cold air for company. She sighed in disappointment. If this continued, she would spend the next few months as a prisoner in this room too.

The sun set slowly, leaving the room in a haze of oranges and reds. Buffy sat watching the natural beauty trying to amuse herself in the endless hours that stretched out in front of her.

Soon it was quite dark and without the candles it was hard to see very much at all inside or outside the room. It was in the gloom of Buffy's mind that she hit upon an idea for a little adventure. The castle and its corridors were sure to be as dark as this room. The castle was large and surely she could remain in the shadows while she explored the castle a bit. It would be hours till Tara would return from her duties, and until then she was left to her own devices. Surely no one would notice if she slipped out. The exercise would in fact do her good.

Her impulsive mind made up, Buffy planned her expedition. She placed a lump of clothing under the blankets hoping to disguise it as the shape of her sleeping body in case anyone besides Tara visited her chambers. She then found her dark wrap and opened the door a sliver to peer into the corridor. Satisfied that there was no one about, she slipped outside, closing the door quietly behind her.

At first nervous, then exhilarated as she realised there was no danger of her being discovered. The castle was enormous. Each corridor followed led to another and another until she was sure she had walked many a mile in her journey.

As the night wore on the air got cooler, and Buffy's thin slippers and wrap made her shiver in discomfort. She had seen enough of the dark corridors for one night and wanted to return to the warmth of her own room now. However in her excitement, she had forgotten to keep a track of her directions and she now realised just how complicated returning back to her own part of the castle would be without a guide. Added to that observation, she had not seen another person for hours now.

Biting her lip worriedly, she wandered around hoping to recognize something from her walk that might trigger her memory. However in the added gloom of the castle, each painting of a Ripper ancestor seemed like the other. Smug faces, weak chins, patrician noses they were the family traits mirrored through the generations. Not that one could lay a similar claim for the current Lord Ripper but nonetheless as Anya would have said, "the apple does not fall far from the tree."

A small tapping noise drew Buffy's attention away from her analysis of the Ripper genealogy. Her breath caught in her throat as she stood still. There it was again, the same noise. In this atmosphere her courage left her and she was inexplicably remembering the ghost stories that Anya had often told her. Ghosts craving revenge and the most gruesome methods of exacting it. She shivered and tried to compose herself.

She peeped around the corner to see a man with white hair walking away from her carrying a tea tray and candelabra. She sighed in relief as she realised her ghost was flesh and blood.


From his mode of dress Buffy guessed this must be the formidable Mr Travers. If she was to follow him surely he would lead her to the part of the castle that her room was situated in.

So quietly she followed the butler as he made his way through the castle. It seemed an age that she walked, treading softly, heart in mouth, terrified that he would hear her ragged breaths behind him. However, he remained oblivious to his shadow, and continued on his purpose.

Finally they seemed to reach a part of the castle that if it was possible was darker and gloomier than the rest. It possessed no fine art on the walls and the carpets were old and dusty. Travers paused and placed his tray on a table and with the light in his hand he raised it to the empty wall in front of him.

Buffy watched in confusion as the butler seemed to be pressing the stones in the walls as if searching for something. He seemed to be muttering angrily under his breath about something. Her confusion was transformed to amazement as the entire wall began to turn as if by magic. The butler picked up his tray and walked into the doorway created by the wall, and soon afterwards the wall closed behind him.

As she continued to watch there was no movement from the movable wall. It was as if there had been no man and she had imagined him as a mirage. She left her place of hiding and cautiously approached the wall. The table where the tray had rested clearly showed its outline in the layers of dust but otherwise she could find no other evidence of her vision.

She reached up on her toes trying to see the stone that the butler had pressed, pushing each stone within her reach, but they were all like ordinary stones in any such wall and refused to submit to pressure.

As she was about to quit her search, the wall began to turn like a clock and forced her to move with it inside of the dark chamber behind it. Surprised and a little frightened, she was unwilling to enter this dark place so turning to exit, she was stopped by the noise on the other side of the wall. It was Mr Travers leaving the secret room from the behind the wall, emerging into the hallway. The wall began to slowly close and Buffy stood still as she realised she was trapped. It was the choice between staying in this mysterious place or revealing herself to the butler, thus leaving her friend Tara in a predicament.

Unable to decide, she stood still as the light showing her escape slowly faded. Buffy's face fell as she realised the further difficulty she was now in. Trying to calm herself she turned and took a step forward into the dark room, hoping to find a way out.

It was a narrow and short passageway and she could see light up ahead. She continued taking one small step after another until she reached the end, and in front of her was a huge room. Up above her was a large doomed ceiling from which a large chandelier hung, covered in dust and cobwebs, as was the whole room.

The room was illuminated by a few lights that burnt on the table in the middle of the room. The table was covered with many, many books. All laid out haphazardly, some open to strange languages and pictures, others piled on top of each other in precarious towers.

On the sides of the room there were more books on the bookshelves that lined the walls of the room. There seemed not a corner of this hidden library that wasn't covered in books.

Coming further into the centre of the room she turned around and found no one to be seen. The tea that Travers had carried lay untouched on the table, cooling quickly.

"Hello?" She spoke softly unsure of what to do or say. She approached the table and looked curiously at the texts spread out.

They seemed to be a mixture of languages, Latin, Greek French and Olde English. Her natural curiosity won out, and she was soon thumbing through the pages. The strange script and illustrations were confusing and at times amusing. She smiled at a particularly strange creature that was hideous and grotesque, however, only measuring a few inches tall.

"Don't touch that!" A deep shout rang out in the silence. Buffy startled, dropped the book and sprang up. Clutching her wrap close to her she backed into a corner as the dark shadow who had shouted at her advanced further into the room.

Fears on merely being reprimanded were gone, and now she feared for her safety.

The man slipped closer until she finally could see his face. Disarrayed grey hairs on top of his head gave him the air of wildness, as did the unkempt beard. His attire was disorderly like the rest of him.

"This is a total catastrophe!" he screamed as he approached her. "There was order a system, now it has been destroyed. How can I find the origins of the Key now? How I ask you?" He ranted, now within reach of her.

Buffy was by now very afraid as the man seemed to be not in his correct senses. She tried to edge away slowly from the crazed man, watching him warily as she backed away.

His arm rose up suddenly and she emitted a startled scream, tensing for a blow. But he only reached up to removed the glasses from his face.

"Yes, yes quite appalling." Glasses in hand, the old man watched her confused. The anger of a moment ago had faded. Now he only seemed to be puzzled by her fear and looking very apologetic.

"I am sorry my dear to frighten you. But there is an order. You cannot disturb it. Now promise me that you will not disturb the texts without my permission."

A little bemused at the sudden change in the man, Buffy nodded.

The man smiled at her benevolently, and Buffy noticed his tired blue eyes sparkling with hope. He cleaned his frames with a grubby handkerchief, and gestured towards the cooled tea on the table.

"Can I offer you some refreshments my dear?"

"Ah no." Buffy answered hesitantly, straightening herself from her previous cowered stance.

"Travers has brought tea. He didn't mention a visitor. There are never visitors; they never seem to like visiting me."

"Why not?" Buffy spoke unconsciously. At the confused look on the man's face, she clarified.

"Why are there no visitors, Mr ….?"

"Mr?" He paused again seeming to have forgotten his own name. "Giles, only Giles, no mister, no sir, no Lord, not even a gentleman."

"She said that I was not fit for any visitors. I deserve only this room."

"Who is she, Giles?" Buffy walked closer to the upset man.

"Tea?" he offered blindly. Raising the cup and placing it just out of her reach. She reached quickly to catch the falling cup but not before the cup's contents were emptied on the rug below.

"Oh dear! Travers is going to be so upset. I am to finish drinking the Sunday tea or else."

"Don't worry he won't notice." She instinctively reassured him, moving the heavy chair on top of the stain and placing the empty cup and saucers on the table. "See? He won't notice."

"He will be upset at me. They are always upset at me." Giles was lost in his thoughts and pain no attention to Buffy anymore, retreating back into the atrium from which he had emerged. However, he paused briefly. "You will come again won't you?"

"Yes, I will try," she answered without hesitation. The wild man of a few moments was now only lonely Giles. He nodded and turned away, leaving Buffy unsure of what to do next.

A squeaking noise similarly to one she had heard earlier grew from the secret entrance. She hurried back into the dark corridor to see the wall moving to reveal the dim light from the castle beyond.

Buffy pressed herself against the doorway until it had turned fully. The clamour of Travers walking back into the chamber could be heard. She quickly ran and hid again in her previous position.

A few moments later the dour man emerged again from the room with the empty tea cup in hand. A lonely brink above the doorway slid forward as the wall returned to its normal position. Buffy smiled as she realised the secret lever of the entrance was the depressed brick.

Travers began to walk away so Buffy followed him at a safe distance. This time paying careful attention to the route taken. Finally they emerged to a corridor of the castle that Buffy recognised. So she thoughtfully left her unknowing guide and rushed to her room.

She opened the door quietly, and was tiptoeing in as she felt a firm hand on her arm. She let out a small scream as she realised she had been caught.

"Buffy?"

"Tara?"

"Oh, thank god" both girls chorused together. Each relieved to see each other.

"I was so worried Buffy. I have been waiting for hours, fearing the worst."

"Tara, I had the strangest walk."

"Buffy, you promised!" Tara frightened voice was heard as she lit the small lamp in the room.

"But there was no danger. I even saw Travers and was close enough to see his face. He never even knew I was there." As Tara's face turned ashen, Buffy decided she should leave further admissions to later. "We should get to bed now, or you shall be missed."

This worried Tara more so she didn't scold Buffy anymore. Helping her undress hurriedly, she left for her quarters.

Buffy smiled at her adventurous night and vowed to find more opportunities to explore the castle and visit Giles.

*******************


The next morning Buffy awoke more impatient than ever with her incarceration. The small touch of freedom and adventure yesterday had piqued her interest for more of the same.

Staring out of her room, waiting as usual for Tara to arrive after her morning chores, she noticed a carriage with six footmen driving away from the castle. With so many servants it must mean that someone important was leaving this morning.

Just then Tara entered the room. "Buffy please don't sit so close to the window. Someone might see you."

Buffy reluctantly left her perch and joined her friend. "I was just watching the carriage leave. They all seemed too busy to notice me."

"Yes, they would be. They were accompanying Lady Ripper to town. She expects the best from her servants."

"Yes, most probably like her son." Buffy observed.

Tara frowned but said nothing; she knew of Buffy's dislike for her master and wisely did not offer her opinion.

"Travers is making best of the opportunity and is resting in his quarters after leaving a pile of chores for the staff of course."

"So you will be busy for most of the day I suppose?" Buffy guessed.

"I'm afraid so Buffy, but I will try to make haste."

Buffy was again left alone as Tara disappeared to her chores. However, she returned hurriedly after a scant few hours had passed.

"Buffy, Captain Finn is here to call on you."

"Captain Finn, the man you rescued me?"

"Yes, he seems to have taken quite a fancy to you. While the mistress is away, no one is allowed into the house. Mr Travers left instructions not to be disturbed, so no one is quite sure what to do. He has been shown in, but they are hoping he will leave after he has given up."

"So they will leave the Gentleman waiting all day?" Buffy questioned. Tara shrugged unable to give another response.

Buffy began to silently pace the room as a germ of an idea began in her mind. "Tara quickly help me dress in my blue dress."

"No Buffy, you can't!" Tara knew her impetuous friend.

"This is the perfect time, Tara. Lady Ripper and Travers are not present, thus no one will be the wiser."

"But what if someone sees you?"

"This is large Castle as I discovered last night. I am sure we can successfully avoid the servants, especially as you say, they are busy in their chores. I will speak to Captain Finn, thank him for his help in rescuing me. He will leave consequently, and the situation will be satisfactorily resolved." Buffy looked at Tara, asking her to find fault in her logic.

"But Buffy-"

"No buts, Tara. This will work. Now help me get ready. Make haste."

Seeing that there was no changing Buffy's mind Tara quickly helped her change and they crept silently through the Castle until they were close to the sitting room where Captain Finn waited still.

The sound of giggling stopped them from rounding the last corner. Tara spied two of the other girls peeping into the room and gossiping amongst themselves.

"We have to go back now." Tara stated hopefully

Buffy pursed her lips, "No. You have to divert them from this place until I have seen Captain Finn.

Tara sighed and complied, successfully hurrying the girls to some imaginary chore that the housekeeper was insistent upon. Luckily no other servants were around, and she could succeed in meeting Captain Finn without further incident.

Drawing a deep breath, Buffy entered the room quietly. A tall, fair and broad shouldered gentleman stood near the window, nervously straightening his uniform as he waited. At the sound of the door he turned hurriedly and saw her.

"Lady Summerly, you look… marvellous." Buffy blushed at the compliments of the young, handsome Captain.

"I mean, um I was told you were still not awake." Riley Finn too reddened as he had not been able to control his response to her beauty.

"I am blessed with good health Captain Finn with much gratitude to you. I am sorry I was unable to thank you earlier." She took a seat and replied modestly.

"Please Lady Summerly, I understand you have been unwell. Moreover we were fortunate to have been of service to you. Any other person would have also done the same." Riley crossed the room and sat down close to her.

Buffy grew more flustered at the attention. Captain Finn was charming and polite unlike other gentlemen of her recent acquaintance. His obvious attraction to her was extremely flattering and a little discomforting due to its unfamiliarity.

"I have your men and you to thank for saving my life and you were also kind enough to call on me today." Riley Finn smiled and seemed lost in her eyes. Buffy smiled back, blushing more, unsure what to say next. She had to leave soon before any more servants returned to the room.

Riley leaned further towards her and gently took her hand in his. Slowly dipping to place a soft kiss on her top of her hand, "I would gladly call on you everyday if I was permitted."

Buffy's eyes widened in surprise. 'Was Captain Finn requesting the right to court her? What was she to say?'

Just as she was fumbling for a response, the door flew open. Buffy hurriedly withdrew her hand and stood in dread, staring in shock at the figure who had entered.


Spike entered the room in his usual fashion, oblivious to his surroundings. Tossing his hat and gloves on the desk haphazardly, since it seemed that Travers and the other servants had disappeared. He finally noticed the other two figures in the room.

Lady Summerly stood with a guilty expression, clutching her hands close, and another man in militia uniform stood far too close to her for Spike's liking. The jolt of possessiveness that raced up his spine caught Spike by surprise.

Glancing back and forth between the two, Spike spoke with a grim tone. "Good afternoon Lady Summerly. And who, may I ask are you, Sir? And what are you doing in my home?"