CHAPTER 7 - The Return


There was a breathless silence in the room after Spike's question was voiced. Riley particularly found the unblinking examination of Lord Ripper's eyes uncomfortable.

"My Lord, I am extremely sorry to disturb your home. I am Captain Riley Finn of the 3rd Militia, we have been camped near Ripper Castle since the summer. I only wished to call upon Lady Summerly and inquire about her health." Riley rattled off his explanation at great hurry.

Spike's eyes flew to Buffy and examined her thoroughly. Exploring her from a distance, not leaving one pore of her body unchecked.

Buffy tensed under the scrutiny disliking how naked his eyes made her feel.

"Her health seems to be quite good from my position, but perhaps you can advise me better from where you are standing, Captain Finn."

Buffy and Riley, realising the compromising nature of their positions, quickly turned away from each other.

"After her near brush with death, Lady Summerly is indeed in good health," Riley responded to the barb with his own attack.

"Brush with death?"

"Yes, the attack on her carriage by highway men. Her injuries and coma seem to have passed." Riley smiled satisfactorily.

Again, Buffy felt the sharp blue gaze on her as if demanding the verification of these statements. 'Perhaps a bleeding gash on my forehead will satisfy him'.

"There was only one highway man, and I was just telling Captain Finn that it was very fortunate that his men were able to deliver me to Ripper Castle after my carriage was smashed."

There was no reaction from Lord Ripper for seemingly endless seconds. Then, however, he turned to Captain Finn and offered him his hand, "It seems I owe you a debt of gratitude sir for saving the life of my charge."

Riley smiled and took the hand offered to him. Beaming with self-importance and trying to show modesty.

"Well it was providence that you were able to help Lady Summerly. Yes, and I suppose you must be a busy man with all your responsibilities. It is doubly admirable that you called upon us to inquire about Lady Summerly." Spike was suddenly the charming and flattering host.

"Yes, we are terribly busy but I considered it my duty to call upon the patient." Riley agreed.

"Well then we mustn't keep you any longer from your duties. As you can see, Lady Summerly is fully recovered now."

"Yes," Riley realised he'd been trapped by his own words. "Yes, I must take leave of you Lord Ripper." He bid goodbye to Buffy and was perfunctorily farewelled by Spike.

Buffy was by now increasingly nervous about facing Lord Ripper alone for the first time. She did not know whether to stand or sit. The man's mere presence so far had made her lose all ability to think clearly. The first abrupt meeting she had tried to reason to herself that he was only a man, flesh and blood. True a powerful one in respect to her future but only a man. She had to pull herself together.

Pulling herself up straight to gain as much height as she could manage, she decided to stand, feeling she would have a less disadvantageous position when facing him.

Spike turned back from the window after watching Captain Finn ride away to a girl with a resolute gaze. She seemed to be preparing herself for a reprimand, as well she should for entertaining strange men. The fact he was more upset by the possessiveness that raced through him at the sight of Buffy with Captain Finn belied the unreasonableness of the reprimand.

Taking the seat that had been vacated by 'Captain Courageous', Spike lounged with idleness in contrast to her tension. Insolently he ran his eyes over her figure head to toe, eyeing her sweet curves cupped with care by the cheap lace bodice of her azure dress. The unexpected tightening in his groin told him, tracing the pattern with his fingers or his lips would be more pleasurable.

Drawing in a ragged breath, his eyes finally came up to her face as she spoke. "I trust your journey was safe my Lord."

"In contrast to your own, it was uneventful and without hindrance. Were any of my men injured in the incident?" Spike mind switched quickly to more serious matters.

"Since the last I saw of them was as they fled into the forest, I cannot be very accurate of their health." Buffy answered bitterly.

Spike frowned at this information, "Well, you have my sincerest apologies Lady Summerly, I thought my men were better skilled for such situations."

"It is quite alright, with Captain Finn's help, it turned out quite alright." Buffy mocked him.

"Yes Captain Finn," Spike rose from his seat, the nonchalance of a few minutes past gone. Now he prowled closer like a hunter for his prey.

"It was great luck that he was close at hand." Spike coming closer to her. Buffy half turned away from him seeming to find the flickering flames of the fireplace fascinating.

"Although, perhaps he was closer today?" The soft words were spoken just above her shoulder and made her jump with surprise due to his proximity. Her eyes raised up above to the large gilded mirror to meet his glittering blue orbs.

Her hazel eyes met his and Spike felt the connection down to the tips of his toes. Mesmerized by the guileless fascination in her eyes, his own gaze did not waver. He watched in the mirror as his hand rose; he brushed the back of his fingers across the delectable line of her bare neck.

She was startled like a doe at the touch. Her eyes flying back to his in the mirror meeting his unwavering stare. The light touch turned into a deeper caress as he turned his hand and used his thumb to stroke the warming spot.

"Or am I closer now?" He at last broke the connection between their eyes to look down upon the journey of his hand. Her neck was turning a delightful shade of pink as the heat spread through her body. Unable to resist he bent down to smell her scent.

Buffy shuddered slightly as she felt his cool breath high on her neck. The fluttering in her stomach and the tingling through her body made her sensitive to every miniscule movement that he made.

Buffy's eyes fluttered shut at the first feel of his lips on the spot where her neck met her shoulder. The soft touch of his lips to that delicate spot, his lower lip full and light. The kiss was light as a butterfly's wings. Buffy opened her eyes to assure herself it was not imagined. The open lids allowed her to see him once again dip his head into the hollow again.

This time he was not so brief. Lips opened and a slight flick of his tongue tasting the flavor that was unique to her. Fresh, tart and earthy. Raising his hands unable to resist touch her more he gripped her arms turning her towards him so he could take her into his arms.

Buffy was lost to his touch, the envelope of his arms welcome and warming as his lips played havoc with her brain. Reaching higher to towards her lips which were red with anticipation for the kiss. But abruptly his arms, his kisses were gone and she was left bereft and alone.

Opening her eyes as if to face a harsh light, she saw him turning and walking several paces away from her. Confused and still not in full control, she turned to hear the door opening.

"Honestly Spike I don't know how you manage to live here in these back woods. I expect you didn't even notice I had to wait hours for a servant to attend to our carriage." A tall, beautiful brunette entered complaining. Her dress and hair immaculate, the height of London fashion.

"It could hardly have been hours Cordelia since I was only riding slightly ahead of your carriage." Buffy heard Lord William speak stiffly.

'Spike? What a strange name for such a cold man' But Buffy quickly realised her mistake as not a moment ago he had not been so cold. In fact he had been rather hot to touch. Buffy's cheeks flamed at the imprudent memory.

As luck would have it, Cordelia took that moment to notice Buffy's presence in the room. Her eye's immediately sharpened as she saw the young woman. Taking in her agitated expression and reddened cheeks. Flicking to the unrevealing stance of Spike standing a few feet away Cordelia's suspicions were roused. 'So Spike has a new amusement in his sights?' Squaring her shoulders haughtily she stared imperiously at the blonde. 'She wouldn't last. Too young and unexperienced to hold his interest for long.'

"Lord Ripper, won't you introduce me to your guest?" Cordelia asked with artificial sweetness.

"This is Lady Elizabeth Summerly, my charge." He motioned towards Buffy. "Lady Cordelia Chase is my guest from London," Spike completed the introductions perfunctorily.

'Lady Chase!' The woman of Xander's many lyrical descriptions? Without a doubt Buffy could see the beauty of the woman but she also found her arrogant and haughty.

"Your little charge?" Cordelia exclaimed condescendingly. "Lady Summerly, I'm afraid from the little William told me about you I assumed you to be a young girl."

Buffy smiled politely not sure what to say.

"Arriving here I find you are a young lady." She turned to look accusingly towards Spike. Finding no reaction from him she continued, "This is not the place for young ladies, Lord Ripper. Poor Lady Summerly has no one of her own age for companionship or any young men as dance partners."

"Well Lady Summerly seems to have earned herself a dance partner already I'm sure."

"Really?" Cordelia smiled at the slightly angry tone in Spike's voice. "Would that be the handsome young man in uniform that I saw leaving the Castle?"

"Captain Finn, was calling on me to inquire about my health." Buffy spoke at last. They were talking of her as if she was a young child needing constant amusement.

"Your health?" Cordelia's sharp eyes ran over her frame to search for any flaw.

Again, Buffy was not given the opportunity to answer for herself. "Yes. Lady Summerly was subject to an unfortunate incident on her journey to the Castle."

"Oh that was regrettable. But Lady Summerly seems to be in good health now so I suppose no harm was done, was it?" Cordelia arched her rhetorical question to Buffy.

Buffy felt compelled to nod her head, as Lady Chase would not be happy with any disagreement. In her silence though, she had the opportunity to observe Lady Chase. Xander had often enough described her beauty when he entertained Anya and herself with anecdotes from court. He had not exaggerated because Cordelia Chase was a exceedingly handsome woman but he had in his infatuation not seen that she was perfectly aware of her own attributes.

Perhaps it was her arrogance and condescension or the possessive manner in which she treated Lord William or Spike as she had called him. But Buffy had taken an instant dislike to the woman. She was most welcome to the man who seemed as arrogant as her.

"You have to try to take better care of yourself Lady Summerly, you are a young lady now." Cordelia had tired of talking to the young girl and now wanted Spike's attention all to herself.

Just then the door opened again heralding another arrival. "William, you are home so early. Did your excursion not go well?" Buffy watched as the woman came regally into the room addressing Lord Ripper.

"Quite well Mother, but on its conclusion I decided to come home rather than spending more time in London."

This was the much talked about Lady of the castle. She had an air about her that made one unable to estimate her age. She looked very young to have a son Lord Ripper's age.

"That's wonderful dear." Lady Ripper then looked around to view the other ladies in the room. "Lady Chase I see that you have joined my son in the journey from London too."

Buffy stood in her corner watching the two ladies offer each other polite greetings. On the surface they seemed to be civil and cheerful but the undertone of animosity could be felt in the air. Clearly each woman was not terribly au fait with the other.

"You have brought a companion too this time?" Lady Ripper had finally given Buffy some attention.

Spike frowned at the question. "Mother this is not Lady Chase's companion. This is Lady Summerly, our guest."

Buffy watched a little fearfully as Lady Ripper displayed little emotion on her face. Her eyes however were glittering with surprise and annoyance.

"Lady Summerly, it is a surprise to see you conscious. I was informed that you were too weak to be woken for several weeks." Lady Ripper's sharp eyes seemed to be boring through Buffy's calm façade.

"I…" she remained a little tongue-tied unsure how to answer without putting Tara's position in risk. "I have been feeling much better lately and I wished to leave my bed this morning."

Druscilla came forward and as she spoke took hold of her arm in strong grip. Her frame obstructed the eyes of the two present.

"Well my dear we shouldn't be so hasty with your health. The doctor gave strict orders for you to rest for a few months before any strenuous activity."

Drusilla then proceeded to tug Buffy along with her out from the room. Buffy instinctively resisted but the hold on her arm was surprisingly strong.

"Mother, I think we do not need to be so mindful of the doctor's instructions. In fact that doctor you prefer seems to be quite the charlatan in my experience. More alchemist than physician and his prescriptions are suspect.

The grip on her arm was loosened as Lady Ripper turned to her son, "But William, Lady Summerly suffered a very serious accident. I think you should pay mind to the health of your charge."

Before anyone else could speak for her Buffy spoke up, "Lady Ripper, thank you for all your concern and care but I think my condition is much better and I feel quite well."

"Well the matter is settled then. Lady Summerly has recovered from her accident." Spike's tone brokered the end of any more argument on the matter, leaving Drusilla staring resentfully at Buffy.

Buffy now the object of all eyes in the room felt very uneasy. "Perhaps I will retire to my room for the day in any case, to be safe."

"Yes, Lady Summerly you should do that. All this excitement must have tired you." Cordelia welcomed her exit.

So Buffy left the room, thankful to escape the tension and the confusion of her own mixed emotions. In these few short hours the inactivity of the past few days had been eclipsed by drama today.

Captain Finn with his charm and his obvious interest in her. Lady Cordelia Chase who seemed to have dismissed her and placed her in category of a distracting child. Lady Ripper who was clearly unhappy at her rapid recovery and disobedience of the doctor's orders. But finally most confusing of all was Lord William himself.

She had only feelings of dislike and reprehension for him until his afternoon. Yet those few stolen moments and kisses opened up this heat building within her. How could she feel so poorly towards him but react so to his touch? And why did he pursue her so when it had been so apparent that Lady Cordelia and he shared had an understanding.

Unable to comprehend her own feelings for the first time in her life, Buffy fell asleep to dreams of heated passion.