MAKE HER OWN WAY


Chapter 24: ‘Bridges’


A/N: Short chapter, not the last one either! Thank you to everyone who has read this and or reviewed. Luv, Spuf


Buffy lowered her swollen body down into her ergonomically correct office chair. It had been four days since she called Will to wish him a Happy Birthday, four days of uncertainty and misery.

‘Should have told him about the babies right then,’ she told herself, ‘so what if he freaked over a man’s voice in the background, who cares!’

She was still angry at Will, still resentful that she felt the need to run in the first place, then to have to hide the babies’ existence just made it worse.

‘He didn’t know,’ her logical voice told her, ‘he shouldn’t have played placebo musical chairs and baby games,’ her emotional one taunted.

“God,” she sighed looking in the full length mirror hanging on her office wall, “I look like a beached whale!”

Jenny had called her immediately after her little chat with the Giles’ boys and informed her that William knew where she was, about the baby and was coming, soon, to talk to her. Buffy had promised Will’s Mother that she would not run again, would sit tight and hear Will out. But, that had been three days ago and there was still no sign of William, something that bothered Buffy terribly.

“I suppose he thinks he’s going to avoid me now, huh?” she grumbled, punching her on button on the computer in front of her. “Probably doesn’t even want me anymore, now that I’m knocked up and the size of Shamu!”

Suddenly, she burst out into tears, “he’s such a damn jerk! I’m such a damn fool and this whole thing is a screwed up mess!”

Spike drove like a bat out of hell through the streets of Victoria, his BMW weaved in and out of the sparse traffic he encountered. It was almost 5:00 PM and he wanted to make sure Buffy would be at home, or at her cottage anyway, he still couldn’t consider ‘it’ her real home. Her home was and would always be with him, at least as far as he was concerned.

“She has just got to listen to me,” he grumbled, checking the rear view mirror for any local police activity. It would do no good to be pulled over for a ticket at this point and Spike didn’t have the patience to try and talk himself out of trouble up here in this unfamiliar place.

According to this Rack fellow and to his own Mother, Jenny, Buffy should be home from her job well before 5:00 PM and Spike wanted to get to her place, face her as soon as possible. He pulled up in front of the little white house, which truly was a cottage, precisely at 5 and turned off the motor of the car.

“This is it,” he whispered to himself, swallowing hard and taking a deep breath. “God,” he mumbled, please, please let her listen to me, “I love her so much and this baby. She’s just gotta’ give me a chance.”

Grabbing a couple of packages that he brought with him from Sunnydale, Spike exited the car and headed up the little walkway to the front door of his girl’s house.

A light showed through the front windows, signalling that Buffy was indeed home, “okay, I can do this,” he whispered again, “I can do anything I need to to get my Princess back.” Summoning up his courage, he knocked on the front door.

“Just a minute,” came her beloved voice through the front door. ‘Dammit,’ he hissed, ‘she doesn’t even have a peep hole for God’s sake. Any bloody monster could come up to the door and….’

The front door opened and Spike came face to face with the most beautiful sight he’d seen in well, forever. If she was shocked or unhappy or any kind of negative emotion, his Buffy didn’t show it; she just stood there, smiling at him as if he had just been there a few hours before.

“Hello, baby,” he whispered, his eyes never leaving hers, trying not to cry like a ponce, even if he felt like it. It was just so damn good to see her, she was even more beautiful then before, all plump and glowing from carrying his child.

Buffy just continued to stand there, smiling, saying nothing, almost as if she wasn’t surprised to see him standing in front of her, even after over three months apart. Then it dawned on him, his Mother had told her he was coming, told her everything, and yet she stayed to face him. She hadn’t run again and this thought gave Spike some renewed sense of hope.

“Come in Will,” she said softly, finally breaking her silence, but looking out through her own door, glancing about quickly. “You’re alone, right?” she asked seriously, but with a slight smirk, “no SWAT team, no covert operatives? No Rupert Giles, right?” He burst out laughing and shook his head, “no baby, just me.”

As he walked through her front door, Buffy felt like she was in a daze, on a cloud or something to that affect. It didn’t seem ‘real’ more like a dream that William had finally found her, come to her

“Oh,” he interrupted her dreamlike state, “I did bring someone to see you,” he chuckled, setting down the cat carrier and freeing Mr. Gordo from his little traveling cell.

“Oh, Gordo!” she cried with delight, catching the huge tabby when he jumped gleefully into her arms;, “I’ve missed you so!”

Buffy caught a look at Will, his gorgeous blue eyes were downcast and he had to go and do the pout thing, ‘he’s hurt,’ she thought, ‘I”ve hurt him so much and now I make over the damn cat and not him!'’

"Come here Mister,” she called to him, setting Gordo down gently. When Will closed the gap between them, Buffy threw her arms about him and clasped him tightly, finally letting her pent up tears flow freely, “and of course,” she purred into his ear, “I’ve missed you most of all.”

William was nearly crying now too, his own tears mingled with hers and flowed down both their faces.

“You’re beautiful,” he whispered in awe, nuzzling her forehead with his and rubbing her swollen tummy with his left hand.

“Yeah, for a grounded Zeppelin, maybe I’m beautiful!” she chuckled holding his hand to her covered stomache, right over where she thought the babies must be settled for the night.

“No,” he whispered, kissing her nose tenderly, “you’re just beautiful Buffy, like always, just more so then ever.”

Buffy began to cry harder, still chuckling through her tears, “always with the smooth lines, Will Giles,” she giggled. “How am I supposed to admonish you or be mad at you when you talk to me like I’m a Goddess or something.”

He wiped his face with the back of his other hand, “cos’,” he murmered hugging her again, “you’re my Goddess.”

‘Jesus,’ he winced inwardly looking down at Buffy’s lovely but huge stomache, ‘the baby must be huge. How does she carry that without hurting?’ he thought guiltily. ‘I should’ve been here, with her the whole time, if only I hadn’t been such a stupid fool.’

“Are you okay?” he whispered, never taking his eyes from her tummy, the home for his child, “you’re so tiny, but, yet so big,” he finished by meeting her gaze and patting said tummy lovingly.

She laughed, a delightful, truly very missed sound to him, “I’m fine, the babies are fine, we’re all fine, just missing Pops.”

Spike sniffed again, “yeah, well, Pops is right here now and everybody is going to….” He blinked and shook his head slowly, trying to think if he heard right, “babies?” he asked, stunned.

“Yeah,” she giggled, “fraid it’s of the plural variety. Apparently, your Maternal Grandfather, Randalph had a twin sister. Funny, you never mentioned that.”

Spike grinned from ear to ear then swooped Buffy up in his arms and spun her around a few times. “Twins!” he gushed, delighted by this news, “we’re having twins!”

He held her so tight, that poor Buffy finally had to squeak out in protest, “uhm, I can’t breathe Will,” she gasped.

“Oh, shit, sorry,” he mumbled, setting her down but not letting her go, not for a second, never again.

“Listen, Will,” Buffy got very serious as she searched his eyes with her own, “about Sunnydale, I’m not going back, Will. I can’t.”

He ran his hand tenderly down her right cheek and tucked her golden hair behind her ear with his other one, “neither am I, Princess,” he whispered lovingly.


A/N: Short chapter, it was supposed to be the last and final chapter of this fiction, but I have some more I need to write so this was a little bridge between chapters to build up to the end. Our couple have a lot of bridges of their own to mend before there is any happy ending! Just another chapter and an epilogue to go! Anyway, please keep reading and review, thanks, Luv, Spuf