MAKE HER OWN WAY


Chapter 25: ‘No Contest’


A/N: Okay, so I could not wait! I’m submitting the final chapter of this fic tonight. Please don’t be mad at me. Thanks luv, Spuf


Buffy shook her head, more confused then ever by the evening’s events. “What did you say?” she asked wide-eyed, pensively.

“I’m not going back either, Princess,” he whispered again, running his slim fingers down her cheek lovingly.

She paused a minute, tried to clear her mind then chewed on her bottom lower lip, something her Will had always loved to see her do. “You’re not going back? To Sunnydale?” she more stated, then asked.

He shook his head ‘no’ and seemed to wait with baited breath for her next response.

“So,” she stammered, “just what, or should I ask ‘where’ are you going?” A part of her just knew what he was going to say, but the other part, the unsure, insecure ‘what the hell have I done?’ Buffy part was worried.

‘What if he says he’s going to move back to England,’ she wondered, trying to stop the flow of hormonal tears that threatened to spill from her eyes. 'What if he has given up on me? On us?’

She rubbed her own tummy now, somehow trying to protect these unborn Gile’s spawns from hearing or sensing the abandonment of their own Father. ‘Asshole!’ she hissed to herself, suddenly, ‘if he thinks he’s going to run out on me and these kids, well he’s got another….’

Will chuckled warmly, something that Buffy had missed hearing for the past three months, along with ‘a lot’ of other William things!

“Let’s sit down, Princess,” he offerred, taking her by the hand and leading her to the little comfy couch she’d bought second hand locally. When he sat down first, she hesitated right in front of him, but soon felt herself being pulled down onto his lap, ‘well,’ she purred to herself, ‘this is more like it!’

“I was thinking,” Will began softly, “that I’d hang around up here, with you. I mean, if that’s okay with you sweetheart?”

At first Buffy thought she had misheard what Will had said. ‘He’s staying up here? With us?’ she repeated to herself, ‘okay. That’s fine, but…’

Before Buffy could respond, William had started to speak again and she felt more then compelled to listen. She sat and stared at him, the Father of her children, intently, as if what he had to say just might change the course of world history.

Spike tried to word his response carefully; he tried really hard to say what he had to say, being considerate, literate and of course, sensitive all at the same time.

“I was thinking, baby,” he started off quite strongly, “that I’d stay up here with you, close by that is. I’m registered at a nearby Hotel, I’ll be looking for an apartment close by to you and the babies. Thought I’d stick close by, help out if you need me. Not right next door, of course, darling, but close enough to come if you needed me.”

Buffy looked at him as if he’d grown two heads, “what?” she asked with a stunned look, “what will you do, Will? I mean, for a living. Your Dad…..”

He chuckled again and shook his head, “my Dad, Princess,” he interjected, again pushing a strand of hair from her cheek, “is no longer in charge of my future. I’m kind of a free agent at this point.”

She nodded, apparently trying to digest this bit of news he’d given her. “So,” she paused then forged on, “what ‘will’ you do to earn a living, Will?”

He had to smirk, the look on her face was priceless. Buffy sat straddled on his lap, a bit more awkward then the old days and looked as if she’d just been told that Santa Claus was real and was dropping by tonight for tea. Placing an adoring kiss on her right cheek, Spike tried to explain just what he’d been up to the last few days.

“As soon as I ‘talked’ to me Mum,” he began with a smile, hugging her tightly, “I started some changes in motion. Of course Dad was pissed beyond pissed, but Mum spirited him back off home and surpisingly, the old man called the next day to ‘grant’ me his blessing.”

Spike laughed at Buffy’s doubtful expression, “really!” he assured her. “He even told me to ‘straighten up my act,’ I’m not kidding, baby,” Spike stated, trying not to giggle like a school boy.

“Apparently, what my Mum has said for years is Gospel ‘the Giles men hold the women they love in such high regard’ and it’s true, baby,” he got serious now, “I hold you in such high regard.”

Buffy began to say something, but he shushed her and held his finger to her lips, “please, baby,” he pleaded softly, “let me finish everything then you can comment, okay?” She nodded slowly, her green eyes glued to his blue ones.

“First thing I did,” Spike continued, “was sold my half of The Chateau to Xander and Cordelia. Bloody hell, Xander ran the damn thing anyway, he might as well be the whole owner, right?” Buffy nodded, ‘right.’

“Then,” he went on quite pleased with himself, “I sub-let the apartment to Xander and Cordelia. They’ll need a bigger place until their house is done being built and I thought the apartment was perfect for them and the baby. Don’t you?”

Again, Buffy nodded, seemingly dumbfounded by his admissions. “Then,” he forged ahead, “I turned over the financial doings of Dad’s business to Johnathan Levy, the muscle, I left to Charles Gunn and yeah, even that ponce, Wesley Smythe-Rhys. To put it in a nutshell, my Princess,” Spike murmered nuzzling his lips into his love’s neck, “I’ve walked away from Dad’s business, all of it. I’m done. Never liked it that much anyway and if I choose to pick between you, our babies and pleasing my Dad? It’s no contest, darling, it’s you and these little rugrats, all the way.”

Spike again rubbed Buffy’s swollen tummy, gently, trying to convey all of his love and devotion in that gesture. “I love you Buffy,” he murmered seriously, placing his forehead against hers. “I love you, these babies, our life together, the one we can have. That is, if you want it, if we work hard at it. Can we, Buffy?”

He just knew he looked like a whiney school boy, but he didn’t give a rat’s arse, he loved this woman, his wife; okay, maybe they didn’t have a marriage license, but they had love and devotion to each other and everything a man and woman really needed to be a couple, complete and whole.

Buffy sat, open mouthed, wide-eyed and staring at this man she loved more then life. He just admitted that he’d given up everything he had known for the last thirty years, everything that was him, his family, his birth-right. For what? For her; their children together, their future life together. The answeres were there, the truth was out there, one only had to open their eyes, their ears and their mind to ‘hear’ the truth, listen to it and accept it.

“So,” she mumbled, casting her eyes downward to her Will’s yummy lap, “you’re saying that you have given up everything you know. Your life, job and career, even your set future? For me? For these babies?”

William looked at her, his left scarred eyebrow raised in question, “just what have I given up, baby?” he asked quietly. “Nothing I’ll ever miss. Nothing that I can’t replace with something else I’d rather do, including you!” He shot her an old ‘naughty Will’ smirk at that remark and she had to giggle again. “Buffy,” he whispered, pulling her flush to him and starting a row of kisses on her forehead, cheek and lips, “I don’t want anything in my life that doesn’t include you and my children. I love you, want you, love and want our children together. I want to marry you, all proper and white dress like, the rice and pictures, everything; but…..if you want to wait, think it over, take your time to decide? Well, my little beauty, that’s okay by me. I’ll wait, for you, for these kids, everything. I’ve waited thirty years to find complete happiness, I can wait a few months more. I just hope….”

Buffy clasped him close to her, “don’t give it all up, not just for me, for us,” she pleaded, afraid that he might choose not to do these things.

“Sorry,” he mumbled into her neck, “I’ve already done it. For you, me and all of us. Like I said, Princess, I wasn’t ever cut out to be what my Dad thought I should be after all.”

She kissed his mouth, hungrily, “okay,” she whsipered, “you want a new life, me, the kids, but, let me ask you this?” He raised that cute little scarred brow again as if to ask ‘what?’

“What in the heck are you going to do for a living? I mean, Will, how are you going to support me and the twin terrors here?”

He paused a moment then chuckled, “well, seems that Xander Harris was wrong about his father-in-law, old man Chase. Seems the old boy likes his son-in-law more then he thought. Xander went to Charles Chase and asked him a little favour, for me, I mean you and me that is. Chase Industries owns a few newspapers around the world and one branch is located right here in Victoria. Gave me a job the old boy did, for his son-in-law’s sake. I won’t be ‘Editor’ of course, not yet, anyway, but maybe someday. Right now I’ll have to do with Assistant to Editor and….”

She pulled him to her again, new tears, of joy he hoped, began to spill from her bright emerald green eyes.

“We’ll have to work at this,” she murmered in his ear, trying very hard to be brave. “It’ll be a lot of work, William Giles, but I’m willing to give a go, if you are.”

He pulled back from her and smiled, his most dazzling smile, he hoped, “oh, I’m willing, my love,” he whispered lovingly, “as long as you love me. Do you love, Buffy? Still? Like I love you, with everything, all of me.”

She gave him that Buffy look he loved more then life, “more then life itself, Will,” she cried softly, “all of you.” After they had sat, in comfortable silence for a few minutes, Will felt Buffy tense up, “what is it, baby?” he asked concerned.

“I just thought of something,” she sighed in resignation, “I don’t want you in some damn ‘soulless bachelor apartment’ I want you here, with me and the babies. Will you live with me, Will?” Did he even have to answere that one? I mean vocally?

Buffy snuggled down into her man, the Father of her children, her lover and yeah, okay, her future husband, no question. It’s just that she would have to ‘hold out’ a bit longer, really make sure William had changed from Spike to Will Giles; poet, writer, non hostile merger maker of the Gile’s world kind.

“I was wondering,” she murmered into his always warm, delightful ear, “you think that maybe we could, well ‘you know’ go into my, I mean ‘our’ bedroom and kind of ‘you know’ make up for lost time together?”

He gave her the most dazzling smile, his ‘you betcha’ smile that she loved so much.

“Well, bloody hell yes, we can, Princess,” he answered all manly like. “You want, we do. That’s the ticket now, my sweet,” he assured her with another grin, “a real win/win situation for the both of us!”

She stood up and took him by the hand, “come on ‘Big Bad,’ come on with me,” she purred. “I’ve missed you.” Leading him into her little bedroom, after tonight, their bedroom, she began to take off her clothes slowly.

Spike just stood and stared at her, adoringly of course, watching her shed every last piece of clothing. He gazed at her swollen little tummy, the warm little haven that housed his children and sighed, “damn! I’m a lucky man!”

When she crooked her finger at him, beckoning him to the bed, he grinned, the grin of winners; real ones. The ones that roll the dice, take their chances and find true happiness; the kind that comes with hard work, diligence and loving forbearance. When he stripped down himself and joined his wonderful love on the bed, he paused, just before he began to make love to her, “so,” he quirked his left eye-brow, “what did you miss the most? Me?” and he began to kiss her lips then her neck and finally her breasts, “or this?” Buffy grinned at him, stroking his hair tenderly, “all of you,” she murmered, “I’ve missed all of you Will.”

They made love, like a man and a woman in total love and commitment to each other do. He murmered love sonnets to her, she cooed sweet promises to him.

“Can’t last much longer,” he admitted, straining to keep from cumming in her so soon. “Don’t worry about it, baby,” she purred with the utmost love, “we’ve got all night.”


A/N: Well, that’s it folks, except…an epilogue that follows immediately! We’re going to fast forward, oh say about 10 years into the future and check up on the happy family of William and Buffy Summers-Giles. Thank you, to everyone who has read this. To everyone who has reviewed it…Luv, Spuf