MAKE HER OWN WAY


Chapter 6: ‘The Knight’s Lady’


Buffy Summers allowed herself to be led into Giles Manor, past the lion statues that sat on either side of the great stone porch, through the huge oak doors. This magnificent house, as lovely as it was almost indimidated her as much as the man who had entwined his arm in hers to escort her inside, Rupert Giles. It was a beautiful house, done in the Tudor Style Revisited, all grey and white stone with high towers and old fashioned chimneys. There was even a chapel on the grounds in the back, where both Drusilla and William had been christened as babies. Rupert’s father, William had had the whole thing built sometime in the mid 1930’s , for his wife, Margaret and it was where Rupert and his own children had grown up. Beautiful, perfect English Gardens surrounded the entire housing structure where Jenny’s prize roses held center stage. Buffy couldn’t wait to get into those gardens again and idle away hours just looking at every bud, bloom and bush. Actually, the Manor didn’t intimidate her, it simply overwhelmed her. She had been born in Los Angeles County and had grown up in a moderate sized ranch style house right in the middle of the San Fernando Valley, Encino California was a nice area, but nothing like the estate that William had grown up in and Buffy, who was pretty small anyway, simply felt like a tiny munchkin in this behemoth, even if it was a gorgeous place.

“Jenny darling,” Buffy heard Rupert speak to his wife, “perhaps you and Buffy would like to have tea in the parlour. I’ll just steal our son away from her long enough to have a drink and chat in the library. There’s a lot we need to discuss.” Buffy noticed the ‘look’ Rupert Giles gave his son and decided not to say a word to make anyone feel uncomfortable, poor Will looked uncomfortable enough for them all. “That’d be great, Dad,” Will said rather unconvincingly, “Mum and Buffy will be fine in the parlour, right Princess?” What could she do? Buffy just nodded dumbly and felt herself being led into the parlour like a defenseless fly. Except that gracious Jennifer Giles hardly seemed like a spider and she was the one leading Buffy to the tea party. Jenny hurried Buffy into the parlour and had her sit in the most divine Elizabethean chair, which, had not been there a year before on their last trip. “You’ve done some redecorating, Mrs. Giles,” Buffy said, stating the obvious, just a bit nervously. “Buffy, dear,” Will’s mother sighed, “I’ve asked you more then once, in person, via the telephone and even by E-MAIL to call me Jenny. If you can’t bring yourself to do that, please make it Jennifer, at least.” Buffy blushed bright red and nodded again, “I’m sorry, it’s just to be frank, Mrs., I mean Jennifer, your home really kind of overwhelms me. I mean, I feel kind of low rent here, you know?”

“Low rent?” Jenny asked, arching her eyebrow much like her son had the habit of doing. “Just how do you feel that ‘you’ are low rent Buffy?” She really couldn’t answer that one, just gave Will’s mom a shrug and glanced around the room, feigning more interest then she really felt, that is, until her gaze settled on the painting above the parlour mantelpiece. “Oh my gosh!” she cried as she jumped up and ran to the painting to inspect it more closely, “is that what I think it is?” Jenny came to stand beside her, “why don’t you tell me what ‘you’ think it is, Buffy?” she asked softly. “Well I think, no, I know, it’s a Gustave Moreau, middle 1800’s entitled ‘Orpheus’ and is it an original?” Buffy heard Jenny chuckle lowly next to her, “yes it is, Buffy and you have a very keen eye. I’ve always wondered why you never took a position in a Gallery or Museum, something in your line of studies?” she asked rather boldly. The blond glanced at the older brunette shyly, “I don’t know, well that’s not true. I do know, and I’ve got a feeling you might know too, but let’s not talk about it right now, okay?” Jenny Giles just nodded at her and gave Buffy’s arm a gentle squeeze, “let’s talk about something else. How about some wine, Buffy?” she winked at her companion. “Tea is very nice and all, but why should our men have all the fun?” They giggled in unison like a pair of schoolgirls as Jenny poured them both generous amounts of a Chianti from a large carafe. Once they’ed both settled, side-by-side on a sumptuous divan, Jenny explained the ‘sleeping arrangements’ to Buffy. “I’m sorry dear,” she sighed with a shake of her dark head, “but Rupert’s so old fashioned and afraid of what the servants will think. That’s why we’ve put you and William in seperate bedrooms. Of course,” she whispered, “there’s a door that connects the two rooms so if one of you happens to stumble into the other’s room by accident…..” Buffy sipped her wine and giggled light heartedly, ‘perhaps she’d been wrong to be afraid to come here. It wasn’t so bad after all.’

Spike was already on his second whiskey when his father finally broached the main subject of the ‘chat’ that he’d wanted to have with him. Rupert Giles was nothing if he wasn’t to the point, especially with his only son. “So,” he said thoughtfully, “you and Buffy? You’ve come to some kind of an agreement, William?” He wasn’t sure if it was the jet lag, the whiskey or the overwhelming presence of his formidible father, but Spike had no idea what the bloody hell his dad was talking about right then. “Agreement?” His father sighed in slight exhasperation, “about the matrimony, William,” he muttered, “has your girl come round yet of her own accord?” The ‘son’ shook his head and downed his drink in one gulp, standing to pour another before discussing the subject any further with his dad. “No Dad,” Spike mumbled, not able to look at the older man, “she’s as stubborn as either one of us and twice as unmoving in some ways. She won’t marry me now, not willingly, not for a while anyway. That’s why I had to do what I did, just hope she understands if it works out the way I want. Can’t imagine how I’ll explain it to her when it happens.”

“Giles men do what they have to do, son,” Rupert reminded him sternly, “no explainations are needed. We know what’s best for those we love.” Spike nodded half-heartedly, “yeah, I know Dad,” he mumbled back. “Dinner will be ready in a while, it’s early but we know you children are hungry from your trip,” Rupert informed him, ignoring the flinch Spike gave over the term ‘children.’ “Later you and I can leave the girls to chat some more while we have a serious talk over some of my reserve port. I want to know just how things stand in Sunnydale and I want to discuss your future, your’s and Buffy’s that is.” The older man stood and approached his son cautiously, “I’m not a total unfeeling fool, William,” he said in a tone that was really uncustomary for him, “I know it’s hard to be an only son. I was one, after all, but, it’s also a responsibility that is quite an honor if handled correctly. The truth is son, I do want you to be happy and I fully agree with you that Buffy is the ‘one’ for you. I just want you children to begin your lives together, legally united and on stable ground. I happen to feel that marriage is the way to go and that I and your mother deserve as many grandchildren and Giles heirs as you and your lovely Buffy can provide. That’s my wishes, that’s all,” he finished with a shrug. Spike chuckled warmly and gazed at his father adoringly, “I think you deserve it too dad, and I plan for Buffy and me to fullfill your every wish; promise.”

They headed into the parlour to find their girls, but just before they entered, Rupert pulled Spike aside quickly. “Oh, by the way son,” he whispered, “about the sleeping arrangements for you and Buffy?” Spike actually blushed and looked down at his feet. “Well,” the older man continued, “you know how old fashioned your Mother can be, how ‘almighty propriety’ is of the utmost?” His son nodded. “Well, she felt that you two children should have separate bedrooms, being unmarried and all so I’m afraid you won’t be sharing rooms together.” The blond man looked at his Father as if he’d sucker punched him. “It will be fine, though William,” the elder Giles assured him, “there’s a door, it connects your two rooms and as long as everyone is discreet, there won’t be a problem. Understand?” he finished with a slight smirk and a wicked wink of his left indigo blue eye. “Yes, Dad,” Spike laughed, “I understand perfectly.”

Over dinner, Buffy chatted with enthusiasm about her Art Classes she would be attending soon while Jenny listened intently. Rupert tried to look interested and William drank more wine then he should have. Finally, Buffy ran out of things to say about school, so she turned the conversation to Drusilla and her family. “Will Drusilla be coming tomorrow?” she asked hopefully. “Yes, Buffy dear,” Jenny answered warmly, “she’s bringing Geniveve and little Rose with her. Of course Geniveve will be driving them all.” Geniveve was Ethan Rayne’s only daughter and Rose was her baby, only about nine months old. “Geniveve was still pregnant when we were here last time,” Buffy chimed in, barely able to hide her excitement, “I can’t wait to get my hands on that little English Rose!” She caught the smug looks between Will and his Father, the ‘now there’s a born mother’ looks. “I love babies, all babies,” Buffy shot Will a warning look of ‘don’t even go there. We’re talking Dru’s grand baby here, not a tribe of our own!’ “How is Dru?” she heard Will ask his Mother. “Okay,” Jenny sighed, “she has good days and bad days, as always. Of course it helps that Ethan is as devoted to her as he is. I don’t know what Dad and I would have done if good old Ethan hadn’t ridden in on his white horse and saved us all. Especially poor little Drusilla.”

Buffy noticed Rupert flinch as a look of deep sorrow passed over his handsome face. If he resembled anyone, Will took after his Dad in looks. They had the same blue eyes and light brown hair, although it was hard to tell with Will, he bleached his so much. Drusilla took after her mother, Jenny, through and through, with her dark good looks and fair skin. ‘Too bad poor Dru couldn’t have taken after both her folks in the mental strength department, like Will did’ Buffy thought sympathetically. Ethan Rayne had truly been a blessing for the Giles family, Will had told her that from the start and Buffy grew to agree with him. The fragile Drusilla was beautiful, sweet and brilliant in her own way, but she walked in a surreal world that most people could not grasp. Her husband, the older and situated Lord Ethan Rayne, had been a life long friend of both Jennifer and Rupert Giles, in fact, he’d introduced them in their youth. After his first wife died when Drusilla had only been sixteen, Ethan went into a self exiled mourning that lasted for years. As the story went, when Dru had become a young woman of substance, but obviously somewhat dissalusional, Ethan had gone to his old friends, the Giles, and proposed a situation that might turn out to be advantageous to them all. He married Dru when she was twenty-two years old and took her home to live in his rather large but lonely manor, a mere five miles from her own birth home. His two children were grown and gone from the house, Geniveve was at the University, his son Dalton was established as a barrister, so Ethan could devote his time to pampering the only daughter of his two best friends. It was a win/win situation for everyone as Will had explained to her time and again.

“You know,” Jenny piped in, changing the subject, “I want you to see my new roses, first thing in the morning Buffy,” she gushed. “I think they’ll take the first prize this year at the faire. I’m so proud of my special hybrid rose that I want you to be the first to see it!” Rupert and William broke out into pearls of laughter. “What?” Jenny flashed her dark expressive eyes at her husband and son. “Oh, Jenny darling,” Rupert chuckled, “you say that every year and every year your special rose does indeed win the first prize at the faire. I don’t know why the bloody judges just don’t wrap up the blue ribbon and ship it out here the week before, save a lot of bother, I’d say.” Buffy stifled a giggle with her hand and rolled her eyes at Spike. He recognized immediately that his woman had picked up on the identical behaviour of his own to his Fathers. “Mum,” he said gently, “I’m sure Buffy would love to see the gardens, in fact, it’s pretty much about all she’s talked about since I mentioned coming here.” Jenny smiled, pleased with the strokes from her son and grinned evilly at her husband. “I would love it Jennifer,” Buffy confirmed, “what’s this rose about?” Spike watched his Mother ‘grow’ in stature about five inches as she sat up proudly in her oak chair. “Well,” she began her dark eyes darting about the table, making sure everyone was listening intently, “it’s called the ‘Knight’s Lady’ and I named it for Rupert’s Mother, Will’s and Dru’s Grandmum.”

Buffy’s ears perked up at the mention of William and Margaret Giles, the patriarch and matriarch of the Giles family. “That’s a very romantic name, Jennifer. What does it mean,” Buffy asked. “Well,” Jenny began, “back before Rupert was even born, of course, William Giles, the first one, was quite taken with Margaret Walsh, an Irish beauty who’s father owned a pub in London. Margaret helped out there and every available bachelor in this county hung around just to watch her at work. Spike listened, but watched his love, Buffy who seemed already entranced as his Mother weaved her web of Giles lore. “Young Maggie, as Grandpa William called her, was only seventeen-years-old when the first William met her and he was smitten the minute he laid eyes on her. Decided within five minutes that he was going to marry her and take her away to the country to build a dynasty together. Apparently, old William was ambitious, even before he was twenty, just like some other men I know.” She paused long enough to glance at her husband and son with her version of a smirk then continued her story to Buffy. “Seems William Giles was pretty confident he could sweep Maggie off of her feet, but he did have one ‘real’ rival, a big handsome local by the name of Liam Smythe.”


Flashback Spike’s POV


Three days had passed since Spike had breakfast with Buffy and it was now Tuesday at approximately 10:45 AM. It wasn’t as if Spike was keeping track of the time, no, he just happended to know exactly what hour it was that he’d sent Buffy off home on Saturday morning to what was probably a claustraphobic apartment. After all, what kind of lavish accomadations could his little blond angel afford, even with two jobs? She had as much as admitted that ‘she got by’ when they’d had their time together, so this apartment of hers, while being clean, was probably not plush. Spike realized he was being a real prick at work, throwing tantrums over the stupidest things, snapping at employees over nothing and pushing Charles Gunn, his most valued employee to find ‘something bad’ on this Angel idiot, as soon as possible. Finally, after the fourth day, Charles came up with a full report on Angel O’Connor and it was more then Spike could have hoped for.

Charles Gunn strode into Spike’s office, much like a victorious military leader who had just captured the enemy’s flag. “I’ve got it, Spike,” he crowed, proudly. Spike looked up from his computer, expectantly, “just what ‘ave you got, Charles,” he asked evenly. “Well man,” Charles chuckled with glee, “enough to hold you to that trust fund you promised Charles Jr.” Mr. Giles clicked off his computer and sat up in his ergonomic chair, “go ahead,” he ordered. “This Angel O’Connor is a real piece of work, Spike,” Charles assured him. “He’s not bad looking, exactly.” Spike bristled and Gunn must have noticed he shook his head ruefully and covered himself, “if a girl likes that ‘Neandrathal’ kind of thing. I mean, he’s kind of that big and oafish looking, man, with a terrible hair style and more brood then Hamlet.” Spike nodded for his employee to go on. “Frankly Spike,” Charles said sincerely, “I don’t know what your girl sees in this guy. He’s barely passing simple courses in college, his family sends him money and as far as singing talent goes, well, let’s just say that my ten month old son could probably do better.” The blond Giles smirked evilly, “go on Charles,” he purred like a cat who ate the mouse. “It seems that your new buddy, Xander Harris was pretty on target, Angel has a coke problem and I don’t mean a small one. This guy’s snortin’ more powder then Tony Montana in Scarface and O’Connor’s a lot less money happy, you know?”

Spike stood up and walked around his desk to stand in front of Charles, “so he’s dealing, right? To support his habit?” Charles nodded, “this guy’s running a dealership out of his apartment that would make Cal Worthington look like a newcomer to the used car sales business. “Who’s Cal Worthington?” Spike asked Gunn, somewhat puzzled. “Doesn’t matter, man,” Gunn responded with a chuckle, “just take my word for it, it’s pretty big for a two bit player like this Angel!” Spike sat down on his desk and pondered what Gunn had to say, “so he’s dealing drugs, singing or so called singing in this band of his and pretty much living off of his folks? Or worse yet, Buffy?” The taller black man nodded with enthusiasm, then he tossed the file he had in his hands on the desk next to Spike. “But,” Charles went on, “there’s something or should I say things that are even of more interest.” The bleached blond man in charge stood up and paced around his office for a couple of moments then, “let me guess,” he finally said, “not only does Angel have a coke issue? He has a woman issue, too, right?” Charles could only smile before he answered, “yup, but more then that, he’s got women issues.”

“More then one lay on the side, then?” Spike asked Charles, trying too keep his anger in check. “Oh yeah,” Gunn confirmed, “at least two other chics, both as different as night and day. Actually, I think the guy’s a real prick, man, but it’s kind of amazing how he can keep his number one girl oblivious about the other two. Like I said,” Charles continued, “they’re as different as night and day. There’s a Lilah Dumont, a red head, not much on her, she’s some kind of teacher’s aide at Sunnydale University. Faith Evans is another one, and get this, she works part time at the Bronze with Buffy Summers. This Faith is pretty harsh from what I hear and likes to get around town, play the field. Get this, man, she’s been seeing my buddy on the Sunnydale Police Force, you know Robin Wood?” Gunn scrutinized his bosses face, seemingly unsure of just how ballistic the blond man would go so he threw in one last comment for good measure. “I don’t get these kind of dudes, Spike. I mean, they’ve got good, decent girls like your honey, Buffy and they can’t seem to stay away from easy pussy. I just don’t get it, I’d never cheat on Winnefred.” Spike was furious, his darling little Princess was being fucked over by a guy that wasn’t good enough to lick her tiny precious feet. One of the most important things his Dad had taught him, was to honor and respect your woman, be loyal and faithful. Why would Buffy put up with this bloody cheating asshole? ‘Simple,’ he answered his own question, ‘ she probably didn’t know anything about O’Connor’s other life; but she would soon, Spike would make sure of that!’

“Thanks, Charles,” he grunted, unsmiling at his favorite employee, a man he trusted and considered a friend, also. Spike was surprised just how calm he himself was remaining and told Gunn, “You better take the rest of the day off and start checking out the best interest rates at the banks. Charles Jr. is going to have that college trust fund set up by the end of the week and I want you and Winnefred to have first choice on the account location. Gunn smiled at his employer and left his office, “thanks man,” he called back before dissapearing out the door. “I’ll rip that bastard Angel’s head off and post pictures of his torso on the ‘Net’ for fun,” Spike growled loudly, now beginning to lose his cool. “If Buffy doesn’t throw this guy to the curb, soon,” he hissed, , “I’ll bloody well kick him there myself!”


Present Day


Jenny continued her tale of the ‘rose’ and Will’s grandparents. “I guess that Maggie had made it pretty clear that she preferred William Giles to Liam and this didn’t set too well with Mr. Smythe. Out of hurt ego or pride, whatever, Liam said some pretty ugly things about Maggie and her family which angered William. To avenge Maggie, William tracked down Liam at another pub, one afternoon and proceeded to beat him within one inch of his life. After that, Liam was so humiliated that he sold his family’s farm and fled the county, forever.” Buffy blurted out excitedly, caught up in the romantic intrigue of the tale, “let me guess! This house sits on the old Smythe farmland, right?” Rupert and Will broke out into laughter at her words, “that’s right Princess,” Will chortled. “Grandad William ran Liam Smythe out of town, bought his farm and then burned down the house that stood here so he could build his own place. I guess you could say it was the ‘first’ Gile’s hostile takeover!” Both men found this hilarious and couldn’t stop laughing or making comments about that ‘bloody loser’ Liam Smythe. Buffy and Jenny just stared at the two men as they made spectacles of themselves, both assuming that ‘alcohol’ had a lot to do with their silly behavior. Finally, Jenny turned her attention back to Buffy, cleared her throat and explained, “anyway, that’s why I call my rose ‘The Knight’s Lady’ for Margaret Walsh Giles.” The dark haired woman shot a murderous look at her husband and son which they must of noticed because they both sobered up immediately and quit laughing like a couple of drunken hyenas. “Sorry Jenny,” Giles mumbled under his breath. “Me too, Mum, Buffy,” William echoed his father’s words.


Flashback ‘Buffy’s POV’

Buffy checked over her reservation list for the second time that evening. It was only 5:00 PM on a Wednesday, but The Chateau was already booked up for the night. She still had over six hours to go on her Hostess shift and Buffy was already bone tired. The argument that she and Angel had had on Saturday morning was still playing in her mind. No matter how much she tried to blame the ‘drugs’ that Angel had obviously done the night before, Buffy was smart enough to realize that there were more issues in their relationship, ones that had little to do with a recreational coke habit. When she had come to work Sunday, fairly calmed down from the day before, she found the three dozen red and white roses from William waiting for her at The Chateau. Xander had kept them in his office and presented them proudly to her for William. “This guy really likes you Buff,” he assured her happily, “I think you should give him a shot.” That would be all fine and good, but Buffy was with Angel and apparently, her insecure boyfriend needed her, desperately. She remembered what he’d told her that morning when she came home to find Angel waiting for her, nervously pacing about her apartment. “Where’ve you been Buffy?” he’d inquired impatiently. Buffy told him she’d been having coffee with a friend, but Angel didn’t seem satisfied with that answer. Fortunately, he didn’t ask whether this friend was male or female, so she didn’t have to lie very much anyway. “I just needed to talk to you, babe,” he whimpered as he took her in his arms. She tried not to notice his drug induced agitated state, or the tiny residue of white powder just under his nose.

Xander came out from the office and looked over her shoulder to check the list himself, “busy, huh?” he asked, delighted at the prospects for the evening. “Yeah,” she whispered, “it’s just great, the waitresses, heck all of us will make a ton in tips tonight.” The dark haired man tapped Buffy on her shoulder, “Buff,” he began, his dark eyes looked serious, “I’m your friend, right?” Buffy nodded silently. “Then will you listen to me, honestly, for just a little while and then if you don’t like what I say, just tell me to fuck off and I will.” Again, Buffy just nodded and dropped her eyes from his, with a hot blush. “We love you, Buffy. Cordy and me, Willow and Oz, so many people besides your family, who loves you most of all, I’m sure. So that’s why I’m going to be totally honest with you and give you some advice.” Xander took a deep breath, “okay here goes,” he muttered under his breath. “Angel’s trash, Buffy,” he stated evenly, “uses you, your love and strength to make himself feel important, strong and special. You not only deserve better, you deserve the best and while I can’t say, for certain, that Spike Giles is the one for you, I’m certain he’s a better bet then Angel. Not only is Angel a coke head, he’s been less then honest with you and you can deny it, but I know he’s hit you at least once. No man should hit a woman, Buffy and visa versa. My dad knocked my mother around and I hate him to this day for it.”

Buffy couldn’t look at her friend, she just stared at her perfectly French pedicured toes as Xander continued to bad mouth the man she thought she loved for years. “I’m sorry for being so blunt, but he’s no good, Buff, pure and simple. He does nothing with himself but get high, try to sing part time and pretends be a serious college student and we people that truly love you are afraid he’s going to drag you down with him. Besides,” Xander hesitated for a moment, “I don’t think he’s faithful to you and I’m not trying to rub your face in it,” he added quickly, “but I’ve heard some things I’m not happy about, Cordy and me both have. We just didn’t tell you because we don’t want you hurt, but there’s all kinds of hurt Buffy and maybe it’s better to cut your losses with Angel now and not wait until it’s too late. Do you understand?” She nodded her head again, surprised that she wasn’t sobbing like a baby by now. However, for some reason the things Xander said didn’t make her sad or unhappy, they just made her angry. Angry at Angel, the guy she thought she loved since High School. “I know you and Cordy love me and want what’s best for me Xand,” she whispered, “I’ll think about what you said, I promise,” she stammered out. With that, she hugged her boss briefly, gently dismissing him and went back to her job, one she was very good at.

Around 7:45 PM that night, Buffy took her break and sat in the employee lounge, thinking about what Xander had said. In her heart, she knew her friends were right, Angel was no good, had never really been any good and had been in some kind of trouble since before they graduated from Birmingham High School together. Buffy had left Encino, not only to go to college, but to distance herself from Angel, but he’d followed her up to Sunnydale and she fell back into the enabler role she’d had since the beginning of their Senior year. She always thought, deep down, that maybe he would change, maybe he could truly be a good man and they might have a future together. After all, didn’t he run after her to Sunnydale, unable to ‘live’ without her? Wasn’t that true romantic love? With a sigh, Buffy finished her soda and headed back out to her station at the front of the restaurant. She again checked the list in front of her, scanning down the crossed off names and next in line names for tables. When she got to the name, William Giles ‘8:00 PM’ her heart literally stopped beating. ‘That wasn’t there before,’ she assured herself as she looked at the clock on the far wall. It was now 7:55 PM.

There it was, William Giles, party of two, 8:00 PM, right there on the list she’d been looking at all evening. She just knew that that name had not been there before her break. “What the hell is going on here?” she asked herself, but soon forgot the question. William walked through the door, alone and looking absolutely gorgeous. He wore some black pants, she wasn’t sure what brand, but they were expensive and a black button down silk shirt. With his bleached blond hair and blue eyes, he looked killer to Buffy. A tinge of guilt shot through her, she wondered who the second part of the Giles party was and frankly, she was a little jealous. “Hello, Princess,” he greeted her jovially, “I’ve got a reservation for 8:00 and here I am.” Buffy smiled politely and made a big production of checking her reservation book as if she hadn’t seen his name before just that minute. “Uhm, yes,” she said rather professionally, extremely proud of herself, “William Giles, 8:00, here it is.” She could feel his stare upon her, but kept her head down, scanning her book, “table #1,” she mumbled, “I’ll show you the way, or would you rather wait for your date in the bar?” William shot her a most dazzling smile, “date’s here, luv,” he leaned over her little table, just inches from her and gazed soulfully into her eyes. “I’m lookin’ at my date right now.”

“I can’t be your date,” she cried then looked around to see if any co-workers or customers had heard her, “I’m working,” she hissed in frustration. “Not anymore,” William retorted, “at least not tonight,” he added as he pointed behind her. Buffy turned to look at Xander waving at her and it wasn’t a ‘hi’ wave, it was a ‘you’re done for the night’ wave. She now understood who had penciled in William’s name in her reservation book. “I told you, I have a boyfriend and I…..”but she was interrupted by William. “Whatever happened to customer’s always right in this Country, anyway?” he asked, his head cocked to one side and a smirk on his lips. “Besides,” he continued cockily, “I’m a much better bet then your boy Angel. At least I could be, if you’d just hear me out. Right now and right here.” A hot flush shot through her body up into her neck and face, “you are so full of yourself, William,” Buffy muttered as she closed her book and glanced around for Amy to come and replace her. “Someone needs to knock you down a peg or two, mister.” Before Amy could get to her table, William took Buffy by the hand and began to lead her to the #1 table of The Chateau, a totally private table in a closed off area. “Yes, Princess,” he chuckled, “someone does need to knock me down a peg or two, and I’m more then sure that the someone is you.”


Present Day


They were still at the dining table, having some dessert, chocolate mousse, Buffy’s favorite, Spike noted and some magnificent red varietal wine. Spike and his Dad were debating politics and his Mum and Buffy were still chatting about roses and horses of all things. Of course, his parents were known for their thoroughbred horses as much as his Mum’s prize winning roses so it wouldn’t be unusual for them to discuss such things. However, right now, as much as Spike wanted to hear what his Dad had to say about Tony Blair and ‘old what’s his name’ he couldn’t keep his mind off of Buffy and their joined bed rooms upstairs. ‘Can’t wait to sneak into her room tonight,’ he thought to himself, ‘something hot about us having to sneak about and tryst!’ His Mother’s voice, tinged with worry, broke into his pleasant thoughts. “Buffy,” she asked with definite concern, “are you okay, dear?” Spike snapped to in a nano second and hurried over to Buffy, who did look very very pale, and he took her by the hand. “Buffy, luv,” he echoed his Mum’s question, “are you okay?”

Buffy felt incredibly tired, that and somewhat whoozy to boot. She hadn’t felt really good since before supper, but she chalked it up to jet lag and simple fatigue from the traveling. “I don’t know Will,” she whispered weakly, “I’m sorry, I just don’t feel right. I think I should go up to bed now. If that’s alright with everyone, I’m so sorry,” she kept apologizing to them all. “We’ll both go up to bed, Princess,” Will said, “I’ll make sure you get tucked in good and proper, don’t want my girl sick now do we?” Nodding, Buffy took hold of Will’s strong arm and let him lead her upstairs to their rooms, “you come back down when I’m all in, please, Will,” she pleaded, “I want you to visit with your Dad and Mom. I’ll be fine once I’m in bed, I’m just tired and a little dizzy. I’m sure I’ll be fine in the morning.” When she turned to tell Jenny and Rupert goodnight and apologize again for being such a party pooper, she caught the look between Father and son. ‘What’s that about,’ she wondered, confused by William’s concerned expression and Rupert’s smug smirk. ‘Oh well’ she shrugged eager to wash up and get to bed.