Home is Where the Heart Is Part 10



Home is Where the Heart Is Part 10
By *~Rachel*~
For disclaimers, summary, notes, etc. please see the first chapter.
WOW! Thanks for all the extra encouragement and kind words. Thank you!
Also, I'm sorry for the late delay of this part. Truthfully, I've had this part written up since Tuesday evening, BUT since I "violated ff.net's guidelines" with my story "Returning," which got pulled from the site, I wasn't allowed to upload anything until now b/c they locked my account. I'm ready to really protest now. They also deleted Desire (The Matchmaker author) and Gillian Silverlight!!! OK, sorry...enough ranting, on with the story!
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"Spike?" Buffy hollered, pushing open her boyfriend's front door and taking a few hesitant steps inside. "Ooh, something smells good," she noted aloud as she crossed the foyer and headed into the living room.
"Is that you, love?" a British voice rang out from the kitchen. "Just a second --oh, bloody hell!"
Buffy giggled at Spike's cursing. No doubt at a pot of sauce that isn't cooperating with him, she thought to herself as she sat down to wait for him on the couch. She quickly glanced down at the coffee table in front of her, noticing several magazines and torn out newspaper ads scattered around the surface.
Buffy looked at the circled and "x"ed ads more carefully and noticed that they were for apartments. Wait...Spike is moving, and he didn't even tell me? she asked herself in surprise. Reaching out, Buffy grabbed the first piece of paper her hand touched, and she traveled into the kitchen, a scowl on her face.
"When were you going to tell me you were going to move?" she asked from the doorway.
Standing at the stove, Spike cast a brief look towards her. "What are you talking about, love?"
"This." Buffy held up the slip of paper in front of her.
Spike wiped his hands clean with a dishrag approaching Buffy. He leaned forward and lightly pressed a kiss on her forehead before stepping back to examine what she held in her hand. "Oh, that? Well...I was just thinking it was about time for me to get myself a new place."
"Oh...," Buffy lowered her eyes, nervously asking, "so...you were just going to tell me after you moved?"
"No, honestly, I was hoping that you'd help me pick out some furniture and other trinkets for the place," Spike suggested. "After all, I figured you could help add a woman's touch to the place, seeing as...I'm hoping you'd want to move in to the new place with me."
Buffy's eyes widened. Sure we’ve been dating for almost a year -- eleven months in two weeks, Buffy reminded herself, but...moving in? That would be a big step in their relationship. "Really?" she tentatively asked.
Spike nodded. "Well, you're over here almost all of the time anyway...don't need a use for bed of yours in the dorm anymore." He smirked at that, before continuing, "And...I love you. Shouldn't that be enough to convince you, love?"
Buffy laughed and wrapped her arms around him in a tight hug. "I love you too, Spike."
Spike locked himself within her embrace as his mouth swooped down to capture hers. God, it's almost been six months since she first told me those words and I'm still never tired of hearing it, Spike thought in amazement. Eventually, albeit reluctantly, the two parted a few inches as Spike asked, "So, is that a yes?"
Her face beamed with pure joy, and she lightly bounced up and down a couple of times. "Of course, it's a yes, Spike!"
"Ooh, goodie," Spike teased, relieved that she had agreed to his plan.
Again, his arms encircled her waist, one hand against the small of her back and the other resting on the back of her head, his fingers gently running through Buffy’s loose hair. Buffy buried her face in his neck, lightly breathing a kiss there as she closed her eyes. God, I love this man, she swore to herself.
However, before the couple could get any further, the oven timer ringing interrupted the two.
"Scoot," Spike ordered, playfully shoving her out of the kitchen. "I'll call you when everything is ready."
"All right," Buffy said, backing out of the kitchen.
 
~~~
 
"And dinner is served," Spike announced, laying a steaming plate of pasta in front of Buffy before walking over to the other end of the table with his own plate of food in hand.
"It smells great, Spike." She picked up her fork and dug into the noodles.
"Well, it better be. I worked and slaved in the kitchen all day for our dinner," Spike drawled.
"Oh, c'mon, Spike. You know you don't mind doing that, *especially* for me," Buffy insisted before stuffing another forkful of food into her mouth.
Now that the two were dating and Buffy was aware of what a superb cook Spike was, Buffy had become a regular at Spike's small apartment during dinnertime. Not that Spike was complaining; he loved spending as much as time with her as possible.
"You love doing stuff like this," Buffy continued. And I definitely do *not* mind being your taste tester, Buffy mentally added to herself.
"That I do, pet, that I do," Spike admitted.
Buffy "mmh"ed and closed her eyes briefly. "It's just that, when I first met you back then, I had *no* idea that you were such a good cook," she began. "If I keep eating over here, I'm going to get so fat -- not that I want you to stop cooking for me or anything, but--"
"You're babbling, Buffy," Spike interrupted, smiling over at her. I just love it when she does that, Spike noted. "Anyway, what's you're point, pet?"
"Point?" Buffy shrugged. "Well, I was just wondering if you had ever thought about doing this for a living?"
"Come again?" Spike asked.
"I mean, you should start your own restaurant," Buffy clarified. "You're good enough to get good business, I'm sure of it." I'd eat there every day.
"Love, I'm flattered, but--"
"Ooh!" Buffy jumped up in her seat in excitement. "You should start a restaurant and call it something completely crazy..." She cracked a smile before continuing. "Something like 'The Silver Spoon' or something."
Spike chuckled, "'The Silver Spoon', huh? Now there's an interesting name."
Buffy shrugged her shoulders and went back to cutting up her dinner. "Well, it's just a suggestion..." She looked across the table at him, asking, "But you'll think about it?"
In all honesty, since the night of the high school prom, Spike's ambitions and hopes of possibly running his own restaurant had only increased. Now, with Buffy's added support maybe he should start turning his dream into reality.
"Yeah, love, I'll think about it."
 
~~~
 
While Buffy spent the next day in classes with Willow and Oz, Spike proceed into town and headed over to Sunnydale Middle School, where Xander and his construction crew were currently making repairs on the school's roof.
"Harris?" Spike spit out, searching for the tall, brown-haired man.
"Spike? Hang on a second..." Xander replied from on the top of the school building.
A few minutes later, Xander climbed down a ladder resting on the side of the building and slowly approached the blonde. "Hey man, what's up?"
"Not much, yourself?" Spike asked.
"Nothing big...the school's roof is leaking, so they called us over here to come fix it up," Xander explained. "What brings you over here at this time of day?"
"Well, Buffy and I were talking last night, and we got onto the subject of my culinary skills," Spike began. "She brought up this idea of me running my own restaurant, and I've got to admit that I honestly can't stop thinking about how much I'm interested in this idea."
Xander "hmm"ed in thought and crossed his arms in front of his chest. "Let me guess...you don't know too much about the business world, do you?"
"I was hoping you did, actually," Spike admitted.
"I know a little bit," Xander started. "I know that you're going to eventually need a license, a contract, and probably a pretty hefty loan to get the whole thing started."
Spike nodded, committing the list to memory. "I haven't told Buffy yet, but while I was looking for a new place, I was also checking out some small lots for sale in town. There's one on the end of Main Street that's a perfect size and not too expensive."
Xander suppressed his laughter. "I think you've done more than just 'think' about this, buddy."
Spike smiled sheepishly. "I guess you can say that. So...what do you think?"
"Honestly, Spike? I think it's a good idea. If you're committed to this, you can probably make a good living off a restaurant," Xander told him. "After all, you've probably got seven or eight guaranteed customers already."
Spike flashed a confident grin. With every person he talked with about his plan, his self-reliance only grew. He had visited his father earlier that morning and talked the idea over with him, and Giles fully supported his plan. "Thanks, mate."
"No problem, Spike," Xander retorted.
"Also, I guess if I can get this place up and running, I'm going to need a staff," Spike thought aloud.
"True."
"Well, I'd love to have your help, Xander. You'd be the best man for the job," Spike insisted, knowing that Xander, who wasn't entirely satisfied with his current job, had been looking for a different place of employment for several months.
"Really?" Xander asked in disbelief. "C'mon, Spike. This is your idea and your--"
"Harris," Spike growled in a playful warning tone.
"Fine, fine," Xander said, holding up his hands in mock defeat. "I get off at five. I can come over to your place, and we can look into it, all right?"
Spike triumphantly grinned. "Sounds good to me, mate."
 
~~~
Buffy dashed around the main room at her mother's gallery, a vase in one hand and a plate in the other. Out of the corner of her eye, she caught Willow running to the supply room, passing Joyce, who was approaching the front desk to answer a telephone call.
Boy, for a small gallery, we certainly are always busy nowadays, Buffy thought to herself. Groaning, she placed the vase down on the table in front of her and began to wrap the plate in tissue paper.
Unexpectedly, Joyce's gallery had become the hotspot in Sunnydale. People were constantly browsing in the store and almost always left with a bag or two in their hands, and because of their rapid selling rate, new artists were beginning to request shows for their artwork in the gallery, which simply created more chaos in the already hectic environment. Willow and Buffy had begun to help out at the gallery during their extra time away from college. However, even their time was limited since the beginning of their senior year in college was proving to be extra difficult.
I honestly don't know how my mother manages all of this when we aren't around, Buffy thought to herself in amazement. "Mom! We're all out of that silvery wrapping paper everyone likes so much!"
"There should be some more in the back room, Buffy!" her mom called back before returning to the phone call.
Buffy turned and started heading back to the storage room when Joyce stopped her. "Honey, William is on the phone," she said. "I'll grab the wrapping paper."
"Thanks Mom," Buffy politely said, approaching the desk and picking up the phone. "Hello?"
"Buffy, love, how are you?" Spike's asked, concern filling his tone when he heard how exhausted she sounded.
Buffy loudly sighed and sank into the chair to rest. "Tired," she declared. "You?"
"I'm fine, love," Spike said. "Can you take a break from the gallery?"
"I don't know. My mom has-"
"C'mon, love," Spike interrupted. "There's something I really want to show you."
At Spike's giddy tone, a smile appeared at the corners of Buffy's mouth. "What is it?" she asked with renewed energy in response to Spike’s enthusiasm.
"No, I can't tell you over the phone. I have to show you this," Spike said secretively. "It won't take long. Just bring Willow--"
"But Willow is busy too," Buffy complained.
"Bring Willow and meet me and Xander down at the end of Main Street, okay, baby?"
"Okay, but--" Before Buffy could finish, Spike abruptly hung up the phone.
When Willow heard her name being brought into the conversation, she traveled into the main room. "Was that Spike?" she asked, stopping in front of Buffy after she had hung up the telephone.
Buffy nodded before spinning around in the chair to face where her mother’s direction.
"What did William want?" Joyce wondered, emerging from the storage room with a roll of paper in her arms.
"Oh, he wanted Willow and me to meet him in town," Buffy explained. "But...you're busy, so we can--"
"Buffy, you and Willow can go," Joyce kindly said. "You two don't really work here full *or* part time. I appreciate the help, but I can probably manage things around here for the rest of the afternoon."
"Really? Mom, you're the best!" Buffy declared, hopping up and quickly hugging her mother. "Willow! Let's go!"
 
~~~
 
Buffy and Willow strolled into town together, quickly approaching the end of Main street as Spike had directed when they saw Xander and Spike, standing outside in the middle of the street, waiting for the two of them. Buffy ran toward Spike and into his arms. "Hey, you," she greeted, tilting her head upwards and kissing him.
"Hey, love. It's about time you two showed up," Spike remarked.
Winding one of her arms inside his jacket and around his back for a second, Buffy asked, "So, what did you want to show us, Spike?"
Spike smirked and stepped back towards the sidewalk and the line of stores. "Ladies, prepare to be amazed."
Spike and Xander walked underneath the overhang of a darkened building and grabbed the edges of a long, white sheet. Together, they tugged and managed to pull the cloth down.
"Taa daa!" Xander shouted.
Buffy and Willow stared up at the sign hanging on top of the building that read "The Silver Spoon."
Willow gasped in wonderment the same time that Buffy broke out into giggles and laughter, tears now gathering at the corners of her eyes. "Oh my god!" she cried out, holding her stomach as she laughed. "You actually named it that?!"
"I told you, love, it was an interesting name."
"I cannot believe you named it that, Spike!" Buffy repeated. "I was just joking when I suggested it!"
"What can I say, love? The name stuck," Spike answered earnestly.
"Wow," Willow said in awe. "What is this, you guys?"
"It's our place!" Xander said triumphantly. "Well...Spike's place. He's the one that's going to be teaching everyone all of the cooking and other skills. I just run the finances and technical stuff that Spike knows nothing about."
"It's amazing," Buffy said in astonishment, because truthfully, she had never expected Spike to actually go through with the idea. "Can we go inside?"
"Sure."
Spike unlocked the front door. He stepped inside first to turn on the lights, and everyone trailed inside behind him, collectively "ooh"ing and "ahh"ing.
"This place is going to be great," Spike declared, excitement filling his tone. "We're going to have a small internet cafe over here, the bar over in that corner...maybe a pool table over there also," he began, pointing out what was where. "And there's going to be a stage for poetry readings and musical performances, and then the usual place for dining in."
"Wow, Spike, you've got everything all planned out perfectly, don't you?" Buffy asked, her eyes wide in bewilderment.
"How long have you two been working on this?" Willow inquired as she walked around the tables and up to the bar.
"Since January," Spike answered her.
"But that was like 7 months ago!" Buffy said in surprise. Playfully, she lightly punched him in the arm. "You kept it a secret from me *that* long?"
"I wanted it to be a surprise, love," Spike told her.
Buffy forcefully nodded. "Oh, trust me. I'm definitely surprised!"
Xander disappeared behind the bar and pulled out four chilled drinks. "So, anyone feel like a toast? I can already tell that this place is going to get some good business!"
The group laughed and took a proffered drink from Xander.
Before anyone began the toasting, Buffy leaned over and privately consulted her boyfriend, "So you did it. You finally made your dream come true. How does it feel, Spike?"
Spike pressed a hard kiss on her lips before widely grinning. "I've got to admit it, love, it feels pretty damn good."
 
~~~
 
Since opening "The Silver Spoon" in September, the restaurant had become an overnight success right from the get-go. Spike and Xander were busy twenty-four hours a day, and both learned very quickly that running a restaurant was going to be harder than they had originally thought.
However, a few months passed, and now their hectic life was beginning to slow down into a fairly reliable schedule. When Spike wasn't available, the hired chef knew all of the dishes to perfection, and Xander was doing a great job at the appearance and financial up-keep of the building.
The popularity of the restaurant meant that Spike got to spend less time with Buffy, but Buffy was equally busy with helping her mother run the gallery, which was also considerably popular.
Today was Sunday, and Buffy and Spike were curled up on the couch together, watching TV. Sunday meant no work and no school for either of them.
"Mmm, this is nice," Buffy commented, wrapping her arm around Spike's waist as she moved her head into a more comfortable position. "I wish we got to do this more often." If only work didn't take up so much of our time these days, Buffy regrettably thought.
Spike abruptly exhaled and glanced down at her. "I couldn't agree with you more, love," he said, bending down and kissing the tip of her nose. I wish we got more time together, too, Spike thought with remore. I hate that we don't get to see each other as often.
"But you want to know what would be even better?" Buffy asked, batting her eyelashes up at him.
"What do you want, Buffy?"
"A diet soda, please," she requested. "Thank you, honey," she added before Spike had the chance to refuse.
Spike rose from the couch and headed into the kitchen as Buffy stretched out on the couch, yawning and turning onto her side. It can't get better than this, spending the afternoon with my honey, Buffy thought. Buffy heard the telephone ring but made no move to pick up the receiver. I'll just let Spike get that since he's up.
A second later, Spike returned from the kitchen with a glass in his hand. "Love?" he began. "It's Willow, she's on the phone."
"What did she want?" Buffy sat up and slowly stood from the couch, clutching the drink from Spike's hand and taking a short sip.
Spike paused, his breath catching in his throat. "I'm not too sure, Buffy. She said she wanted to talk to you about it first."
Buffy studied him carefully, wondering what was going on. "Okay..." she muttered, traveling into the kitchen and picking up the phone. "Will? You there?"
"Bu--Buffy?"
"Willow? What's wrong?"
Buffy listened as Willow took a few breaths before continuing, "I'm sorry, Buffy...we've been trying to reach your for the last ten minutes. I should have remembered you'd be at Spike's."
"Are you okay?" Buffy questioned, fear and confusion laced in her tone.
"I should have called you sooner...if I hadn't panicked--"
"Willow, calm down," Buffy commanded. "What's wrong?"
"Buffy...it's your mom," Willow announced, her voice deadpan and shaky. "She's been in an accident."
"What?" Buffy breathlessly asked, her mouth dropping open.
"There was an eighteen wheeler...Its brakes weren't working right and...it -- it skidded at a stop light....right when your mother was crossing the intersection, and--"
"But -- but she's okay, right?" Buffy asked, suddenly having trouble remembering how to breathe. "Mom is okay, right?"
"They -- they tried the best they could," Willow answered. Buffy couldn't see it, but she knew that her best friend was crying as she spoke. "But..."
"Willow..." Buffy began, her voice wavering with fear.
"Buffy, your mom died on the way to the hospital," the red head slowly stated.
Buffy froze, dropping both the phone receiver and her glass, which shattered as it hit the tile floor. "Oh god..." she said, covering her mouth with a shaking hand.
"Buffy?" Spike exclaimed worriedly, entering the room when he heard something break in the kitchen. He bent down and picked up the phone from the floor. "Red?" He paused, listening to Willow's sob what had happened. "I see...no, we'll be there in a few," he answered before saying goodbye and hanging up the phone.
"Oh baby," Spike sighed, sinking down next to the crying and shaking blonde and embracing her with both his arms. "I'm so sorry," he whispered into her ear, lightly kissing her cheek and stroking her hair.
"Spike..." Buffy sobbed.
"It'll be okay, it'll be okay," he repeated.
Buffy knew that Spike was just trying to help; after all, what else can one say at a time like this? But at that moment, Buffy just wanted to scream. She's gone, Spike! Buffy wanted to lash out at him. How can things just be okay ever again?
 
~~~
 
TBC...
Thank you all for the lovely reviews for the last part. I'm glad you all are enjoying the story so far! For those of you who are wanting an update on the present time-line, however, the next part has 2 present day scenes and 2 flashback scenes!
Thanks!