Home is Where the Heart Is, Part 6



Home is Where the Heart Is, Part 6
By *~Rachel*~
For disclaimers, summary, notes, etc. please see the first chapter.
Sorry for the delay with this part again...school is hectic and I'm trying to manage that, my site, this story, and having some free time.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Buffy ran from one end of her room to the other, trying on one top before throwing it off and pulling on another. She tried on a black halter-top before tossing it onto her bed where a small pile of clothes already lay. "This shouldn't be *that* difficult," she grumbled to herself as she slid into her black pants and pulled on a dark blue tank top. Buffy slid on a couple of rings and bracelets and dragged her fingers through her loose hair before standing in front of the mirror to examine the chosen outfit.
"Having trouble, sweetie?" her mother questioned from where she was leaning in the doorway with her arms crossed.
"Mom, does this look okay?" Buffy asked, posing for her mother in the middle of her room with her arms at her side. When Joyce didn't reply right away, Buffy began to panic. "It's too much, isn't it? Or...it's too dark?"
"Buffy, you look fine," Joyce assured her daughter. "I'm sure Scott will like your outfit."
Buffy let out a sigh of relief. "Are you sure?"
"I'm positive. Are you sure you won't get too cold out there tonight?"
Since spring had finally arrived in Sunnydale, the nights were usually around 65 degrees at night, which was fine for Buffy. "Mom, I'll be fine," she replied before she realized that her mom was getting ready to start nagging about her choice of clothing. "On second thought, I'll grab a coat before I leave, okay?"
"All right, honey," Joyce answered in a satisfied tone, smiling at her daughter.
From outside, Buffy heard a car honk four times in a row. "Oh!" she shrieked, her eyes widening. "That's Scott!" Buffy quickly darted into her closet and grabbed a light jacket from inside before rushing back out into the hallway. She lightly kissed her mother's cheek before jogging down the stairs. "Bye, Mom!"
"Bye, Buffy!" her mother's voice rang out as Buffy slammed the door.
"Hey," Buffy greeted Scott a few seconds later, pausing because she was out of breath.
"Hi, Buffy," Scott answered, leaning over the armrest to place a kiss on her forehead. "Ready for some fun?"
"Of course," Buffy confirmed. "The Bronze, right?"
"Oh no, we're going to the cooler and much nicer club over in the richest area of Sunnydale," Scott replied sarcastically as he put the car in reverse and started backing out of the driveway. "Of course, we're going to the Bronze, Buffy."
"Of course...," Buffy repeated softly, the amusement clear in her actions as she smiled over at him.
 
~~~
 
The couple arrived outside the Bronze within ten minutes. Scott parked by the entrance and quickly turned off the car. Buffy began reaching for the handle to open the door, but Scott intervened and grabbed her hand. "Wait a minute," he said, pulling her hand back towards him.
"What?" she asked, a curious smile on her face.
"Well, as you know...prom is coming up in a week or so," Scott began.
"Yes, I know that," Buffy agreed. "What's the deal? You've got something special planned for us?"
"Something like that. I figured that now seemed like a good a time as any to fill you in," Scott explained.
"That's awfully kind of you," Buffy teased.
"So, here's the plan. I figured that the limo could pick us up around five o' clock, and we could eat out.… How does ‘The Melting Pot’ sound?" Scott suggested.
"Oh! Fondue!" Buffy exclaimed, a smile lighting up her face. "I'm definitely liking the plan so far."
Scott raised her hand to his lips. "Good. Then, we'll go to the prom...dance and party with your friends...have punch, and then instead of going to the post-prom celebration, I've planned for the limo to drive us up to LA."
A confused expression crossed Buffy's features. "LA? What's in LA?"
"Well, I booked us a room at the Plaza Hotel."
Buffy blinked after she heard what Scott said. She replayed his sentence in her mind as the color slowly drained from her face. "I -- I'm sorry, can you repeat that?" God, I hope I heard wrong, she worriedly thought to herself.
"Buffy...we've been dating for a long time-"
"It hasn't been *that* long," she interrupted, trying to talk him out of his hotel plans. No...this isn't Scott. Scott is sweet and charming and he wouldn't...
"We're eighteen now, Buffy. We can do whatever we want. Aren't you ready?" Scott asked. "Because I am."
"No, I'm not," Buffy answered quickly, her tone filled with disbelief about the conversation she was having with him. "Scott...*please* don't tell me that the only reason we've been dating for the last six months was because you hoped that I'd sleep with you on prom night."
Scott lowered his eyes to the car seat, not able to answer her question.
Immediately, Buffy pulled her hands out of his and sat as far away from his as she could. "Don't you love me?"
"Buffy..."
"Because if you loved me the slightest bit, you wouldn't even think of doing something as low as this," Buffy angrily said. God, I'm such a fool, she told herself. How could I have missed this?
"Buffy..." Scott tried again.
Buffy bit her lower lip and blinked back her tears. I will not cry in front of him, she repeated to herself several times. "I...I think you should just take me home, Scott."
"But-"
"Scott," Buffy began, her voice sounding tired and defeated. "Just take me home."
 
~~~
 
Buffy opened the front door, throwing her purse and jacket on the floor of the foyer. "Stupid, I'm so stupid," she mumbled to herself over and over again.
"Buffy?" Her mother's concerned voice filtered down from upstairs. "You're home early."
Buffy stood in the hallway motionless. When Joyce didn't hear a reply from her daughter, she pulled on a robe and headed for the stairs. "Buffy?" Joyce asked worriedly as she walked down the stairs. "What's wrong? Did your date with Scott not go well?"
When she heard the name of her now ex-boyfriend's name being mentioned, Buffy raised her head, causing the unshed tears in her eyes to overflow as she met her mother's distressed ones. "Mommy..." Buffy began. "Scott...he..."
Joyce didn't know what was going on, but at that moment, she didn't care. All she knew was that Scott had done or said something that hurt her only daughter and that was all she needed to know. "Oh Buffy..." Joyce whispered, approaching her daughter and wrapping her arms around her. "I'm so sorry."
Buffy's sobs increased as her mother's grip around her tightened. "I'm so stupid...I thought he loved me, I really did..."
 
~~~
 
Buffy walked through the school courtyard Monday afternoon, her body feeling zombie-like. She had cried herself to sleep Saturday night and then was unable to get any sleep last night. Today, Buffy had spotted Scott in the hallways a couple times and so far at least, had been able to hold back the tears. All I have to do is make it through two more classes, she reminded herself. I can do that easily.
Buffy kept her eyes on her feet, not watching where she was going. When she bumped into someone, she jumped back, spilling her books all over the grass. "Sorry," Buffy muttered, bending down to gather her supplies.
"Buffy, I just *love* the look," a voice drawled above her.
Buffy raised her head and met eyes with Cordelia's. "Cordelia...great, my day is now officially complete," Buffy murmured under her breath. "I know I'm going to regret asking this later, but...what's wrong with the look?" she asked, gazing down at her overalls and dark red tank top. Well, now that you mention it...
"Nothing...it's just that...it really screams ‘post-break-up outfit,’" Cordelia answered her.
Buffy's eyes went wide. "What?"
From around the corner of the side of the school, Spike was heading from history class to the other end of the school for physics when he saw Buffy literally run into Cordelia. He began to increase his pace, nearing the blonde in order to help her out if needed and knowing fully just how cruel Cordelia could be.
When Spike watched Cordelia raise her voice to Buffy, he immediately placed all thoughts about getting to his next class on hold. He jogged out to the courtyard, preparing to save Buffy from Cordelia's biting tongue. He stayed about ten yards away from the two women, remaining behind a pole and listening in on their conversation.
"What do you mean, Cordelia?" Buffy asked, her voice more forceful.
Cordelia broke out into a grin...a sarcastic, mean grin. "Ask me who I'm going to prom with, Buffy."
The color drained from Buffy's face. "Scott Hope," she stated, deadpan.
"Bingo! Now, I just can't figure out what a guy like that would be doing without a date less than one week to our senior prom," Cordelia pondered out loud, tapping her index finger on her chin. "Could it be that *some*one wasn't putting out?"
Spike fought his sudden urge to run out there and curse and scream at Cordelia.
"Cordelia, stop it," Buffy said, lowering her eyes. I will not cry in front of this bitch...I will not...I will not... Nevertheless, a tear dropped down the side of her cheek.
"C'mon, Buffy...cheer up. Let's face it...Scott just wasn't your type," Cordelia stated boldly. "I'm sure you can find some other *great* guy to go to the prom with. Wait...doesn't Xander still need a date?" She smiled when Buffy didn't say anything. "Ever been to the Plaza Hotel? Maybe Scott and I can send you a postcard."
"Cordelia...please..." Buffy begged, her voice no louder than a whisper.
"Well, my job here is done," Cordelia announced, turning on her heel. As she stalked away from the small blonde, her voice rang out, "And nothing about that wasn't fun."
Spike stared at Cordelia as she sauntered off, a scowl cutting across his expression. How dare she say those things, Spike thought, outraged at what the brunette had said to Buffy.
When he turned back to Buffy, he watched as she slowly sat down on a long, black bench in the middle of the courtyard and began to cry. Buffy pulled her knees up to her chest and covered her face her hands to hide her evident pain. Instantly, Spike felt a pang in his heart seeing Buffy sob.
In the few months that had passed, Spike's opinion about Buffy had rapidly changed. While Xander was the only other person that actually knew of his feelings towards the blonde, Spike's extreme dislike for Buffy and her quick-mouthed temper had changed into a secret longing and almost...dare he think it?…love for her. Naturally, it didn't help that the two still continued their arguing and constant verbal battles whenever they saw each other. Nonetheless, without even realizing what he was doing, Spike had begun to fall in love with Buffy Summers.
 
However, realizing that this was his big chance to begin to change the way things were between the two of them, Spike emerged from his hiding place in the courtyard and calmly walked up to Buffy.
"Buffy?" he quietly asked, looking down at the frail young woman before him.
"Go away," she pleaded without looking up at him.
"Sorry, I can't do that, love," Spike answered, sitting down beside her.
Buffy raised her tear-stained face and stared at him. She quickly frowned before saying, "What part of 'go away' did you not understand, Spike?"
"Uh...pretty much the whole thing, pet," Spike commented. "What's wrong?"
"I don't want to talk about it."
"I...I, uh, saw you and Cordelia having a little spat," Spike remarked. "Are you okay?"
"You were spying on me?" Buffy questioned, a hint of anger in her tone.
"No!" Spike insisted. "But I... What's wrong?" he repeated, not really knowing what else to say.
"Scott and I broke up," Buffy informed him. Great, Buff...just give him something else he can make fun of you about, she told herself, then wondered why she told him things so easily.
"I'm sorry, love," Spike replied, although he was inwardly jumping with joy. Buffy was single now...maybe he would finally get his chance after all. "And let me guess who grabbed him?"
Buffy nodded, wiping away her somewhat dried tears. "Cordelia," she confirmed.
Spike sat silently for a second and thought about what the two of them could do to get back at Cordelia. "Well, you know what would really tick that May Queen off?" Spike began. "If you and I showed up at prom together."
Buffy froze before turning her head to stare at him, not sure if she should take him seriously or not. "Really?"
"Really, really," Spike repeated with a small smile on his face.
"You'd do that? For me?" she asked, awe in her voice.
If I see you crying and sticking out your lower lip like that again, I'd walk over hot coals for you, love, Spike almost began to say. "Of course, love. Y'know, you're not so bad once a bloke gets used to that temper of yours."
At once, Spike found a pair of small, thin arms wrapped around his body. Buffy pressed her wet cheeks against his chest and sighed. Spike glanced down at the girl in his arms and breathed in her scent as he cradled her in his arms. A guy could get used to this...hell, *I* could get used to this very easily, he realized, tightening his grip around the girl of his affections.
"Thank you," Buffy whispered.
"You are very welcome, Buffy," Spike responded, using her real name instead of his usual nickname or endearment.
"He just doesn't understand," Buffy suddenly blurted, not loosening her grip around his chest.
"What?" he asked, having missed her last words.
"Scott. He just doesn't get it," Buffy said, sniffing and catching fresh tears with her fingertips.
"I don't understand you, love."
"He...he was just using me," Buffy clarified. "His main goal was to sleep with me after prom. That's the only reason he and I were together for so long -- he just wanted to sleep with me."
Spike's blood began to boil. How dare that little git try to do that! he yelled in his mind. He had known since the beginning that Scott was bad news. Spike just didn't think that the idiot would have done something this cruel to Buffy. "I know it doesn't help much, Buffy, but I am sorry."
"I just...when it happens, I want it to be for love...y'know? Not some stupid, lusty, teenage hormones, and... and Scott just doesn't understand that," Buffy continued, before twining her arms around his neck and crying onto his shirt.
Spike changed the position of his arms, and Buffy felt him run his fingers through her hair. As she closed her eyes and leaned against his chest, Buffy swore to herself that she heard him whisper, "I would understand, love."
 
~~~
 
TBC...
I hope you're enjoying the story so far...I will try to get the next part out as soon as possible. Please let me know what you think so far! :)
Coming up next...Buffy and Spike at their senior prom, a day at the beach, and a look at what's going on between the two at the present storyline.