REBEL HEARTS


Chapter 15: ‘I Will Be Back’


Spike’s Father, Lord James Anderson, had always told his son, whom he always called ‘William’ that there were certain things, in a real man’s life that he always remembered in great detail.

“Your Wedding day,” Lord James would laugh, “and of course, your Anniversary, or at least you should son, for you own sake. The birth of your children, the exact moment they came into the world. And sadly, the pain when one of them passes away, along with the only woman you’ll ever love in your life.”

Unfortunately, Spike’s Father could remember all of those things, especially the loss of Spike’s twin brother and his own wife, all within a few years of each other. However, one thing that Lord James Anderson had not told his son, was that he would always remember, in great detail, the first time he made love to the woman he, William, would love forever. Spike certainly would always remember his ‘time’ with Buffy, it was forged into his mind, heart and soul.

“Go to sleep, Will,” Buffy had giggled after the last time they had made love. “You will never wake up in the morning and be able to discreetly sneak back to your regular room. We would not want your Lieutenants or troops to realize what their proper Captain was up to, now would we?”

She had winked at him, even though she blushed, something he found adorable, especially while she was stark naked beside him in bed.

“Who gives a fuck,” Spike growled as he pulled Buffy even closer to his own naked form and began to tickle her, mercilessly.

“Stop it,” she crowed, tiny tears of laughter slipped down her lovely cheeks, “I give, Will. I give.”

‘Yes,’ he thought to himself as he gazed at her lovingly, ‘you do give, my love. You’ve given everything of yourself to me.’

Buffy awoke to the sound of birds chirping outside the guest room window. William had his strong arms wrapped about her waist and chest, possessively, although he himself was still asleep. She lay there, gazing at her lover for a few minutes, her mind a blur of wonder and great feelings of affection for her ‘beloved enemy.’

Trying as best as she could not to wake him, Buffy dislodged herself from his welcome arms and rose from the bed quickly. Quietly, she moved to the setee to retrieve her gown and wrapped it quickly about her body, then she slipped out of the guest room and back into her own bedroom.

It was not even five minutes, and amazingly, Mahalia knocked lightly at the hallway door. Buffy let her servant in, careful not to meet her gaze.

“Did everything go okay with your supper, Missy,” Mahalia asked, a sly, knowing grin on her face. “Yes, it did,” Buffy mumbled softly with a slight smile.

“I think that I would like breakfast served up here, this morning, Halia,” Buffy added, “in the guest room that is.”

The servant grinned at her Mistress and nodded, “of course, Missy, I’ll have Cook make it up right away. Would you like a bath, Missy?”

Buffy nodded herself, “yes, please and please fix it up in the large tub, the one in the room on the other side of the guest room. Please bring lots of warm water, Mahalia,” Buffy added, “Captain Anderson will want to join…I mean, the Captain will want a bath also, I am sure.”

Mahalia grinned at Buffy, nodded eagerly and scurried out of the room to head back downstairs.

“Princess, where are you,” Buffy heard Will call from the guest room.

“I am here,” she responded, “I will be right in.” She brushed her hair out, straightened her gown then returned to join William in the guest room bed.

“Hey,” he murmered as she slipped off her gown and joined him in the warm bed. Spike immediately wrapped his arms about her and pulled her flush to his body, “thought you’d deserted me, luv,” he pouted at her.

“Never,” she whispered, then smiled when he kissed the tip of her nose. “Hungry?” she asked, seriously.

“Famished,” he replied truthfully, “could eat a horse.”

She giggled saucily and actually pinched his arse, tenderly of course, “well, not a horse, Will, but a good breakfast. I am having one sent up, but first…”

Buffy flung the covers off of their bodies and sat up in the bed, her hands pulled at his arms, “give it a few minutes, Will, dear, and we will have a fine bath together. That is, if you would want to take a bath with me?”

Her mouth had formed into that pout he loved so much and Spike felt his cock harden quickly, “oh, yes. I want to bathe with you, but first…”

He pulled her back to him, spun her around so her back was on the bed and began to kiss her face and mouth, hungrily.

After their bath and breakfast, Spike reluctantly left the sanctitiy of the guest room ‘their room’ and went downstairs to check in with his Lieutenants and their troops.

“Come down to me later,” he pleaded softly, kissing Buffy’s sweet lips with his, “later, two hours at the most. Come down and just sit with me, in the parlour, with the door closed, please Buffy darling.”

She nodded shyly and shooed him out the door, “go play soldier,” she giggled merrily, “I’ll see you later, in the parlour. Gosh, Will,” she paused a moment, “I hope that Lt. Abrams is not the wiser to our tryst last night, I would not want him to shoot his own Captain. For breaking orders that is…”

Buffy began to laugh wildly and blew him a kiss as he left the room and headed downstairs to check on his troops.

Buffy and William sat on the parlour sofa, a mere inch between their bodies as they held hands.

“I feel like a nervous school boy,” Will hissed with a roll of his blue eyes. “I should be making love to you, not stealing kisses and holding your hand, so properly.”

She raised her eyebrow at him, her lips twitched in a slight smile, “I am afraid that stolen kisses and hands held between us is all we can manage right now, darling,” she chuckled. “Tonight, however, that is another story.”

He looked at her as if he was starving man, shown a table that held a feast. “Tonight?” he grinned happily.

“Tonight,” Buffy responded evenly, as she leaned in to allow another stolen kiss by him. “Of course,” she continued, her eyes suddenly misty with tiny tears, “I would want to spend our last night together. You do also, do you not, Will?”

William flinched and flung his arms about her, pulled her to his body, “oh God, my precious love,” he rasped hoarsely, “of course I want to be with you tonight and forever. As I said this morning, my Buffy, I ‘will’ come back for you, after this War is over. If England wins or loses this War, I will come back for you, never forget that. It would take all of the demons of Hell to stop me from returning to you, and even then, they would not succeed in halting my return for you.”

That night, Buffy and William were together, all night. They made love until early in the morning, never ceasing to even eat or drink. No minute or second was wasted on anything but giving and taking their mutual pleasure to and from each other. The sun was far from up, but Buffy was exhausted and she found it hard to keep her eyes open, even to listen to Will’s sweet words to her. Still, she did her best to hear each of the sweet things he murmered into her ear as he ran his hands, tenderly over her body.

“I love you, Buffy” he murmered as he skimmed his lips down her body. “I love you, Will,” she sighed in pleasure. Later, his head rested on her right breast, he recited poetry to her, including the first words of William Shakespeare that he had ever said to her. The quotes were from Romeo and Juliet, which seemed appropriate, after all, for them both. By the time he had recited various lines of the Bard’s play, and both Buffy and him were so exhausted that they could no longer speak, they fell asleep together. But, not before they mingled their tears of grief that this would be the last night together before William would have to leave.

Spike woke up first and propped himself up on his left elbow to watch Buffy in her last moments of sleep. She was a vision to him, as always, her golden hair was splayed on the pillow beneath her beloved head.

‘Wake up, my darling,’ he willed her silently to awake, ‘I need you. Want you.’

As if she had heard him, Buffy slowly opened her green eyes and smiled shyly at him, “morning Will,” she whispered as she reached out to touch his face.

“Good morning sweet,” he murmered, his voice strained with want and desire. “Buffy,” he began with a scowl, “I am sorry to bring up an unpleasant subject, so early and at all really, but I must. I want you to know that you will be safe, after we leave this morning. From the likes of Angel O’Connor that is.”

Buffy’s lovely green eyes flew open in shock, “how?” she asked.

He smirked, despite himself and brushed her locks from her face. “Well,” Spike chuckled, “I had my very trusted Lieutenant Abrams pay Mr. O’Connor a visit yesterday afternoon. Abrams offerred O’Connor, with the aid of Lt. Doyle and a few of his men that is, they offerred Angel O’Connor a commission in the British Army. I mean, he being such a Loyalist and all, so devoted to the English Crown.”

Buffy gasped and threw her tiny hand over her mouth, her eyes were even wider, “you didn’t Will,” she tried to stifle her laugh. “Yeah, I did,” he laughed loudly, “bugger made a fuss, all right, but in the end, his sense of duty to the King won out. He’ll be leaving with us this morning, when we go. You’ll be safe, at least safer, now luv.”

They both broke down in fits of laughter, cuddled so close together that it was hard to tell where one began and the other one ended. Soon, however, Buffy and Spike grew somber, the realization that this was the last few moments together had set in to them both.

The morning sun had risen to almost straight above their heads. Buffy and William sat on the parlour sofa, silent, mutual sorrow overwhelming them.

“I will be back for you, Buffy,” he whispered, kissing the tiny palm of her tiny hand.

“I know,” she mumbled lowly, a traitorous tear slipped down her cheek. They sat, their eyes trained on each other, both of their cheeks were stained with tear tracks.

“I love you,” he rasped, his hands pulled her head and shoulders to him.

“I know,” she repeated automatically.

“Buffy, please, say something besides ‘I know’ I don’t think I can stand this. Please just…”

Buffy raised her hand to Will’s damp cheek and gazed into his blue eyes, “I love you,” she whispered. “I love you, and I know you love me, but it’s not going to change the fact that you must leave today. In less then minutes, from me, this place, us, for now anyway.”

She was so sad, so miserable to see him go and she did believe he was just as miserable as her. With a deep breath, Buffy raised her chin up, “go,” she ordered bravely. “Go now, Will, before I cannot let you go. Because, you must go, it’s your duty, your calling. No matter how you and I hate this, this rift between our worlds, you must go, please.”

In all of his 24 years, Spike never, ever felt this kind of pain. Not even when he found out that his twin brother had died, or his Mother was not coming home, that she had passed away. No, not even when Buffy had unwillingly stood him up three years before, did he feel this lost and sorrowful. He stood up, taking Buffy with him in his arms.

“See me off,” his plea was whispered and desperate. Buffy nodded against his chest and led him to the parlour door, where he pulled her back into his arms and kissed her deeply on the mouth.

“Go, now, please Will,” she whispered when they broke from their kiss. “I will watch you ride off from the parlour window.”

Spike pressed his forehead against hers gently, “I will look behind to see you at the window, for as far as I can see. I love you, Buffy. Always will. And, I will be back for you, I swear it.”

He kissed her lips again, then reluctantly left the parlour and her behind. Spike did not dare look back at her before he had gotten outside and to his horse, he might have not been able to leave.

Buffy watched William Anderson mount his horse and spur it to ride away from her house, and her. All the way down the long pathway to the front gate and gate house, she watched in sorrow, tears fell from her eyes onto her cheeks. She had felt his tears, on his cheeks when he kissed her goodbye, they mingled with her own.

While he rode off, Will kept looking behind him at her, looking for her in the window of the parlour.

‘I’ll be back, I promise,’ she heard him say earlier and she believed him. Before he had spurred his horse to go on, Will had turned to face the parlour window and smiled slightly at her. He had placed his left hand over his heart and nodded at her. Buffy returned the gesture, knowing exactly what he had meant by it.

“Come back to me,” she murmered to him as she watched his form retreat further and further from her. “I know you will come back for me, Will. If you possibly can.”


A/N: I know this chapter, especially, is a little hokey and all, but this is 1778 and all!!! Thanks for reading, please review, even if you don’t like it. Luv, Spuf