A/N: Thanks so much for the reviews so far. I hope people are still enjoying this, let me know.

***

"So, Xander told me he walked in on something rather interesting last night."

Buffy glanced up at Willow who was sipping her coffee calmly.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh come on, Buffy! You and Spike, getting a little close after hours. Spill."

Buffy shrugged and emptied a sugar packet into her mug, stirring for a moment before looking up at her eager friend. "There's really not much to tell."

"Well, whatever there is to tell, I want to hear it."

Buffy sighed and leaned closer to her friend. "I don't really know what happened. We've been talking a lot after closing.. just about whatever.. So last night, it got a little bit more personal. And if Xander hadn't walked in I'm not sure we would have stopped at talking."

Willow squealed and Buffy blushed and glanced around the coffee shop, smiling at the patrons who turned their heads at the high pitched sound coming from their table.

"So what's your next step?"

"What do you mean, what's my next step? There wasn't even a real first step. We kind of almost kissed, Xander walked in, I freaked out, and I haven't talked to him since."

"Well... Do you wish that it had happened?"

Buffy shrugged and took a big gulp, gasping when it burned her. "Umm... Yeah. I guess, but he's kind of got a lot of baggage. And Buffy and baggage have already proved a not so good combination."

Willow nodded. "That's true, but it's been a long time. Whatever happened to him, and I don't know anything more than what Tara's alluded to, it happened a long time ago. Maybe it's about time he moved on. Maybe you're the girl to help him."

"Or maybe I'm just prime seriously delayed rebound material. I mean, he told me that he hasn't really met anyone since his wife died. That's kind of a lot of pressure."

"Well Tara seems to think a lot of him. He doesn't seem like the love 'em and leave 'em type."

Buffy sighed. "Sometimes you can't help it. You may think you're ready, but really it's just a rebound."

"And we're steering the subject back to you and Spike."

Buffy blushed and smiled. "Yeah I know. I guess I could give something a try, but I'm letting him take the next step. I'm just along for the ride."

"Well at this juncture, I'd say that's a good plan."

Buffy nodded. "Just along for the ride."

***

"I've no bloody clue what she wants! It's hot, cold, hot, cold, all the time. 'Do you really want to talk about that, Spike?', 'oh yes, get closer, Spike.' I mean what the hell-"

"Okay, rantmaster, hold on for a second."

Spike sighed and took a long swallow of the beer Cordelia handed him. "So what do you think?"

Angel rolled his eyes and settled down on the couch next to him. "Calm down will you? Connor's asleep and you're giving me a headache."

"Glad to know my pain concerns you so much."

"Oh! Was this a pity party, I was unaware. Cordy, get the violin."

"Ha bloody ha."

Cordelia rolled her eyes and sighed. "Both of you calm down. Spike, listen, you just met this girl not too long ago. You have a hell of a lot of baggage hanging around your neck, and she's in the middle of school, you own a club. There's a lot to be nervous about, I can see why she's not jumping into your arms." Spike nodded reluctantly in agreement. "Although I wish she would, you could use a good tumble," she muttered.

"What?"

"Nevermind," Angel interjected. "Cordy's right. For seem reason, a lot of girls find you attractive, but you've never let any in. You like this girl, and maybe, after years of a nonexistent dating life, you came on a little strong."

"If that was coming on strong, then the only alternative is sitting on my ass."

"Haven't you ever heard of playing hard to get? How do you think I reeled this one in?"

Angel scoffed. "I don't think he should be taking hard to get tips from you, honey."

Cordelia raised an eyebrow that wiped the smirk off of Angel's face. "Just kidding?"

"Nice try," she said, but settled into his lap anyway.

"Oh God, so are you two going to get all lovey dovey and make me even more depressed?"

"Shut-up." Spike made a face and took another drink. "Listen, take our advice, hard to get. Let her come to you. She knows your interested, let her make the next move. And if she doesn't come around, well, there are plenty of other rebound fish in the sea."

Spike glared at his cousin. "She is not a rebound. It's been too long for her to be a rebound."

"Well, whatever. Just don't make an ass of yourself by harassing your employees."

"Yeah, yeah. I gotta get down to the club. I'll see you guys later."

***

Buffy stood outside Spike's office, her fingers tapping an erratic beat on her leg. It had been four days since their encounter in his office, and they hadn't had a chance to talk. That or he was avoiding her. Instead of the comfortable and slightly charged vibe she used to get from Spike, now she felt like things were a little strained.

She was sure running out on him when Xander showed up probably wasn't the best way to keep whatever they had going, but could anyone blame her?

She shook her head and tried to think of a valid reason to be there. Just coming to say hello seemed too obvious, but there was no reason for her to be there as far as work was concerned.

"God.. This is stupid." Buffy turned and walked straight into-

"What's stupid, luv?"

Buffy's mouth opened and closed a few times. "Umm... Nothing, nevermind. I should be going."

Spike clenched his jaw as she started to walk past. Let her go, let her go... Hard to get. I can do this. Hard to-

"Buffy, pet, wait a second."

Buffy stopped and turned back toward him. "Yeah?"

Now Spike was at a loss for words. "Umm.. Do you want to come in for a minute?"

Buffy hesitated for a second but then nodded and followed Spike into his office. They stood awkwardly for a moment until Spike gestured to the couch and Buffy sat down. He rummaged around in the fridge for a moment before looking up at her. "Would you like something?"

"Um. Just whatever you're having."

Spike smiled and handed her a beer before sitting down next to her, but left a respectable distance between them. "I haven't seen you for a few days."

"That's just what I was thinking."

Silence filled the room after that and they smiled awkwardly at each other for a moment.

Finally Spike sighed and turned toward her. "This is bloody stupid."

Buffy let out a relieved sigh and smiled, genuinely for the first time since she seeing him. "Yeah."

"I don't know what your thinking. Kind of wish I did, but what I really want to know is whether or not I crossed some line. And if I did, I'm sorry, I didn-"

"No line crossing, I promise," she said, interrupting his ramblings.

Spike smiled and nodded. "Good. I didn't ever want to make you uncomfortable."

"I'm sorry for running out like that. I just got a little freaked out."

Spike grimaced. "I came on too strong... Bloody hell, never thought that poof would be right about anything concerning wome-"

"You didn't come on too strong," Buffy said, laughing. "It was just the whole situation. You're my boss, we've both got pasts, some more complicated than others, and then Xander coming in. It was just a lot to take at once."

Spike sat back and nodded. "I get that." He glanced over at her before taking another drink. "Does that mean it's going to be too much to take all the time?" he asked, staring at the desk in front of him.

She grinned and moved her hand until it was resting over his on the couch between them. "No, not all the time... Just think we should go slow."

"Slow's good. I can do slow."

They sat in silence for a moment before he turned his head. "Just for future reference.. Does finishing a little of what we started yesterday count as slow?"

Buffy turned back toward him and smiled. "I think it might fit in the slow category."

Spike licked his lips as his eyes focused on hers. "So you'll let me know.. when it gets a little too fast for you?"

Buffy leaned closer, her eyes closing slowly. "Oh yes."

Their lips met in a tender kiss, and it was the best thing Spike had felt in years. Buffy's teeth grazed his bottom lip and she bit down softly, causing him to moan softly into her mouth. His hand came up to cup her cheek, his fingers stroking her softly.

He pulled back and nuzzled her cheek. "Okay?"

She smiled, her eyes still closed, loving the feel of him against her. "Better than okay."

At the door Xander raised his hand to knock but stopped when he saw the couple on the couch. He grinned and shook his head before shutting the door softly and herding out the remaining employees.