A/N: Sorry about the delay, school's been really hectic. Thanks so much for the reviews, it's made coming writing when I should be doing homework so much easier. Hope you enjoy.

***

"So we get to the top of the bloody thing, and I'm trying to smile and have a good time, I mean, I don't want to scare her, but I keep saying 'don't rock the chair, sweetheart.' Course she's gonna ask why, so I say something like 'daddy's about to bring all that cotton candy back up,' which apparently was the exact wrong thing to say. She starts giggling like mad, I feel it coming up, and... I think you can guess the rest."

Buffy hadn't stopped laughing since Spike had begun his story and now she was clutching her sides, tears coming to her eyes. "I can't believe you threw up on a ferris wheel."

"Thing was bloody high, and all the sugar before. And I wasn't the only one anyway."

Now Buffy was laughing even harder. "Did you start a chain reaction or something?" At his look the giggles turned into full blown guffaws.

Spike finally joined in, unable to stay serious when her laugh was so contagious. "At least I got a laugh, I guess."

Buffy nodded and wiped her eyes. "More than that. I'm glad you waited to tell that story until after dinner, though."

He chuckled. "Might have started another vomit fest otherwise, huh?"

She laughed again before taking another sip of her wine. "This has been really fun, Spike."

He smiled at her warmly before covering her hand with his on the table. "I'm glad, pet. I was worried I'd be a bit rusty, not remember how to treat a girl on a first date and all that."

"You definitely haven't forgotten, I can attest to that."

They finished their drinks and Spike took care of the bill before they made their way out of the restaurant, his arm around her, holding her close.

He had just bent down to whisper something in her ear when he heard the one voice that could chill him to the bone.

"What a touching scene."

Buffy felt Spike tense next to her, his arm around her waist falling away. "Spike?"

He turned slowly and stood partially in front of Buffy, blocking the full view of the woman who had spoken. "So William, you finally managed to convince some poor ignorant girl to date a man who practically killed his wife." She stopped a covered her mouth with her hand mockingly. "Oh, I'm sorry, I'm sure you didn't even mention my daughter. Didn't seem to matter when she was alive, why would it matter-"

"Shut-up."

Spike's voice was colder than Buffy had ever heard it. She could see his hands shaking, his whole body trembling with anger. And listening to what the woman in front of him was saying, she wasn't very surprised.

"Watch yourself, boy. You're treading on thin ice."

Buffy noticed the man with them for the first time. His voice was just as cold as Spike's, but twice as condescending.

"That's right, you watch yourself, or I'll-"

"You'll what?" he countered angrily, his fists clenching at his side. "What will you do, Darla? Gonna have Ethan threaten me again? Tell some judge that I dared stand up for myself in public? Try to take my daughter because I won't bow down and worship you? Because I won't let you harass me?" He took a deep breath, realizing that his voice was getting louder with every word.

Buffy reached toward him and put a hand on his arm, trying to calm him. He glanced back and seemed to realize for the first time since the whole thing started that she was still there. His shoulders slumped and he looked back at Darla. "Let's just leave it at that. I don't want to get into anything with you right now."

Darla glared at him for a moment before turning to Ethan. "I think I've lost my appetite."

Spike sighed and turned to Buffy, ready to usher her out of the restaurant before he heard her voice again.

"Maybe you managed to control yourself tonight, but it's just a matter of time."

Spike spun around but caught himself and shook his head before turning again.

"See ya, Darla."

"You're just a drunk and a loser, and the sooner the right judge realizes it, the better off Dawn will be. I just hope she hasn't already learned too many of your destructive behaviors to follow you down that path."

"Can't you shut your mouth for a even a second?" Buffy finally hissed, unwilling to listen to anymore of Darla's abuse.

"Buffy, it's ok, c'mon."

"No, Spike, she's totally out of line."

"And it's none of your business."

Buffy stepped up in front of Darla, more angry with every passing second. "I won't let you talk to him that way, he doesn't deserve to be treated like this, no one does."

Darla rolled her eyes and pushed past them, Ethan close behind. "I won't need a judge when Dawn finds out just why her mother is gone, will I William?" She smiled wickedly before opening the door. "I'll see you on Saturday."

With that, they were both gone. Buffy glanced up at Spike and was shocked by the amount of pain she saw there.

"Spike?" she whispered softly, her hand coming to rest on his.

He remained looking after Darla for a moment before he turned toward Buffy, but his eyes didn't meet hers. "I should get you home."

She sighed, unable to think of any way to save the situation. "Yeah, okay."

***

The car ride home was silent, Buffy was unsure of what to say, and Spike was lost in his own world. He pulled the car into her driveway, and Buffy was surprised when he stopped it and came around to open her door.

He rested his hand on the small of her back as they walked to the door. They stopped as they reached the porch and she turned toward him, not knowing what to expect.

"It really was a nice night, even with everything else."

He kept his gaze on his feet and nodded slightly. "I'm sorry about all that," he whispered, his voice tight. "I just-"

"Shhh." She put a finger to his lips and stepped closer to him. "I know. It's okay."

He tried to smile but it didn't reach his eyes. "I don't suppose you'd want to do this again sometime?"

She shook her head and smiled. "Of course I do, why wouldn't I? You're a great guy, and I think we have something that we should explore-"

"Buffy," he whispered, pleadingly, "I don't want to drag you into all this."

"Stop it. I'm well aware of what's going on, and just because she says all those things to you, doesn't make them true."

"She's not making it all up," he said angrily, looking away.

"Spike," she said, putting a hand to his cheek and turning him toward her, "she is playing on all of your insecurities. She's trying to remind you of all the mistakes you've made. It's an exaggeration. It's not the you today. You love Dawn, and I can tell that you loved Dru, and it wasn't your fault, what happened."

He leaned into her touch and closed his eyes, allowing her words to soothe him. He ducked his head, leaning in to kiss her cheek before pulling her closer to him. Buffy's hands drifted down his arms to rest on his waist.

"Thank you," he whispered into her ear before pressing a kiss to her hair. No one but Angel and Cordelia had ever been able to remind him that Darla was a heartless bitch who's only purpose in life seemed to be to make his hell. Sometimes, after his encounters with her, he needed reassurance, but he was always the last one to realize it. He was glad Buffy had been with him, Darla hadn't ripped into him like that in a long time, and it hurt to have everything shoved in his face again after so much time.

Buffy allowed her head to rest on his chest. She took in a deep breath and upon discovering just how great he smelled, she couldn't help but step closer to him. He seemed to making a similar discovery about her as his nose nuzzled her hair off of her neck and he began to place soft kisses there.

She gasped his name softly and felt him smile against her skin. Her hands gripped his hips tightly, her thumbs brushing up and down, getting nearer and nearer to the thing she could feel hardening against her stomach.

He backed her into the door and pressed himself more firmly against her, his hips rolling slightly so that he could slip one thigh between hers.

His lips made their way up her neck to meet hers in a soft kiss, the tenderness belying the passion growing between them. His tongue licked against her lips before she opened them and allowed him inside. He moaned into her mouth, his hips pressing harder against hers.

She whimpered as he pulled back and rested his forehead on hers. "I should go," he whispered, panting.

She smiled ruefully and nodded. "But I don't want you to."

He kissed her cheek again and smiled. "Me neither, kitten, but we're going slow aren't we?"

She nodded and they both stepped away from each other reluctantly.

"I'll see you tomorrow at work?"

She nodded. "Of course. You're such a slave driver."

He flashed her a wide, wicked grin before leaning in to kiss her. "I've only started, baby," he said, his lips brushing her ear with each word.

She pulled him in for another kiss before opening the door.

"Goodnight, Spike."

"Sweet dreams, Buffy."