A/N: Sorry about the wait, bit of writer's block. Thanks for all the reviews, enjoy!

***

Spike shot up in bed, his body covered in sweat, his ears still ringing with the sound of Dru's accusations. His breath came in short, sharp bursts and he buried his face in his hands waiting until the terror and guilt faded into a dull ache.

Nearly half and hour later he swung his legs over the side of the bed and stood, stretching sore muscles from his contorted sleeping position. He made his way to the bathroom and splashed cold water on his face, running his hands through his sleep tousled curls.

He resisted the urge to pour himself a bit of whiskey and settled for a pot of coffee instead. It was six-thirty anyhow, and he needed to go pick up Dawn in two hours. As the coffee brewed, Spike tried to remember the breathing exercises his therapist had taught him years ago.

By the time he had showered and downed three cups he was feeling more like himself, and remembering that he was introducing Dawn to Buffy he began to get excited about his day, pushing down any worry that tried to surface.

He glanced at the clock and seeing that he still had nearly an hour and a half, he grabbed his keys and headed for his car, hoping to catch Angel before he and Cordy got Connor ready for his soccer game.

He jogged up the path and knocked briefly before opening the door and calling out to his cousin.

"Spike?"

He smiled at the older man's annoyed tone and sat himself at the counter after pouring yet another cup of coffee. "I was hoping I'd catch you this morning."

"Well you have, what is it now?"

Spike took a sip and paused, pleased when he heard Angel's annoyed sigh. Annoying his cousin never got old. "Can't I just want to say hello?"

Angel rolled his eyes and handed a mug to Cordelia as she entered the kitchen, Connor behind her. "Spike? What are you doing here so early?"

"Spike!"

The blonde smiled down at his nephew and gathered him up into his arms, sitting him on his lap before settling back at the counter. "Big football match today then?"

Connor nodded and dug into the cereal Angel placed in front of him. "When are you going to come practice with me again?"

"Sorry, kid. Guess I've been neglecting my favorite nephew, haven't I? Dawn and I will come over soon and you can take us on."

Cordelia smiled at the two and sat next to Spike. "Aren't you picking up Dawn in a bit?"

"Yeah, that's a bit of why I'm here."

"What is it? Darla giving you trouble again?"

Spike smiled at the protective edge to Angel's voice. "Yes, but that's nothing new. I was thinking about having Buffy along today."

There was silence for a moment and then Connor spoke up. "What's a buffy?"

Cordelia snorted into her coffee and Spike smiled down at the boy.

Angel motioned for Spike to follow him into the other room and he and Cordelia rolled their eyes.

"She's the second most beautiful woman around, second to your mother of course," he said, winking at the brunette before settling Connor on the stool and following Angel out.

"This really need to be a private conversation?"

Angel sighed. "I don't want Connor repeating a weird version of this back to Dawn."

Spike nodded, annoyed with himself for not thinking ahead. "So what do you think?"

Angel sat down on the couch and thought for a moment. "Just how serious are you two?"

Spike shrugged and sat across from him. "Serious.. I don't know, bloody hell, Angel, that's why I'm here."

"You don't know about this girl, but you want Dawn to get involved?"

Spike shook his head. "No... I know I'm serious about her. I haven't felt anything like this since Dru, and it kind of scares me. Makes me really happy though too." He paused and ran a hand through his hair. "I don't want to fall completely for her if she and Dawn don't click. I can't go any farther without my bit's consent."

Angel smiled. "I'm glad you're thinking that far ahead. Time was you wouldn't think beyond the very moment."

Spike shrugged. "Guess I've managed to grow up a little bit, didn't think you'd ever see that, huh?" Angel chuckled. "So you think this is ok? Part of me feels like this is just selfish, like I'm trying to ok my stuff and Dawn's just a necessary step."

"A lot of people wouldn't consider their children in a situation like this. I don't think it's selfish, and I think that if you think so much of her, Dawn's going to as well."

"I bloody well hope so, don't know what I'll do otherwise. Go back to being a miserable old bastard with my hand for a girlfriend."

Angel rolled his eyes. "Another reason to keep this conversation from my son's ears."

Spike laughed at that and Angel joined in moments later, relieved to see his cousin so happy again.

***

"Hey, little bit, how are you?"

Spike scooped his daughter into his arms and hugged her tightly, ecstatic at seeing her again after a week without her.

"I won the art contest!" Dawn exclaimed, leaning back to see her father's reaction.

He smiled proudly and headed toward the car without a word to the woman glaring at him from the doorway. "I told you that you would. Why didn't you call me and tell me earlier?"

"Grandma took me to Chucky Cheese's and she said it was too late when I got home."

Spike fumed on the inside, furious at the things Darla continued to keep from him, but he could feel how uncomfortable Dawn was and hurried to soothe her. "That's alright sweetheart, I'm just glad you can tell me now. Better when you can tell me face to face, right?"

Dawn smiled and nodded, the earlier tension gone.

"I talked to Uncle Angel and he said it would be fine if you watched Connor's football match for a while with them while I went and fetched someone."

"How long will you be gone?"

Spike's stomach clenched for a moment at her question. How many times in her early life had he left her without any word? He hated that she still had reason to ask that question.

He stopped the car in front of the park and looked over at her. "Just for a few minutes, luv," he said softly, his hand stroking her hair. "I won't go if you don't want me to. We can do something else."

Dawn shook her head, smiling again. "I wanna see if the other boys can kick Connor's butt as hard as I can."

Spike matched her devious grin with one of his own and winked. "That's my girl. Let me walk you over to them and then I'll be right back."

***

Spike whistled as he walked up the driveway. Buffy opened the door before he had a chance to knock and smiled before he pulled her into his arms and kissed her softly.

"Morning, pet."

"Morning. You want to come in for a minute, Willow made coffee and muffins."

Spike glanced inside and waved to the redheaded girl. "Do you mind if we skip out, Dawn's waiting, and I don't want to leave her alone for long."

"That's fine, let's go." Buffy called a goodbye to Willow and closed the door, smiling when Spike wrapped an arm around her and led her to the car.

"So where are we going to pick her up?"

"She's with Cordelia and Angel at their son's soccer game." Buffy nodded and Spike smiled. "She's going to love you."

Buffy looked over at him. "I hope so."

"What's not to love?" he said shyly and Buffy's heart skipped a beat.

She glanced over at him and smiled as he tried to look nonchalant and focused much too intently on the road.

***

Buffy's hand tightened slightly around his as they walked toward the field. Spike smiled and squeezed her hand before raising it to his lips and kissing the back of it.

A small girl turned and caught sight of them and ran quickly toward her father.

"Daddy, Connor scored two goals already!"

He smiled down at her and took her hand. "That's great, pet. We should get you out there. See how well he does then."

He noticed her gaze go from his and Buffy's joined hands to Buffy herself. "Dawnie, there's somebody I want you to meet." He let go of Buffy's hand and placed his on the small of her back, urging her forward. "This is Buffy, a good friend of mine."

Buffy crouched so that she was eye level with Dawn and stuck out her hand. "Hi, Dawn."

Dawn looked from her father to Buffy and back. When he smiled and nodded she finally settled her eyes on Buffy and managed a small smile back before taking the offered hand.

"Hi."

Buffy was getting more nervous by the second, unsure of what she could possibly have to say to an eight year old. "So, you play soccer?"

Dawn nodded and looked back at her father. "Why don't you show Buffy and I where your uncle is sitting, luv."

Dawn took his hand and led him quietly to the bleachers. Spike pulled Buffy close to him and kissed her cheek. "Don't worry, pet, you're fine."

She smiled tightly and nodded. It was going to be a long day.

***

"You have a fun day, bit?"

Dawn yawned and nodded, her eyes drooping as Spike pulled the covers up to her chin. "You and Buffy seemed to get along pretty well."

"Is she your girlfriend?"

Spike swallowed and looked down at his daughter who suddenly seemed totally awake. "Would that bother you?"

Dawn shrugged. "I don't know. She's fun and nice. I miss mummy."

Spike looked down and traced a pattern on the comforter. "Me too, bit, but she's in a good place now."

"Are you going to marry Buffy?"

Spike was more than a little confused about what his daughter was getting at during this conversation. "I don't know. Maybe." He looked into Dawn's eyes and smiled. "But I would never leave you, luv. I'll always be here, and soon we can be together all the time."

"Why doesn't grandma like you."

Spike's fist clenched before he let out a breath. "She just wants what's best for you. She's just trying to protect you because we all love you."

"But I want to stay here, I don't want to go back."

"I don't want you to either." Spike fought down his emotions, he didn't want to break down in front of her. "Just for a while longer until everyone else agrees with us, ok? Next month the people at the court are going to decide again. I'll work it out, I swear to you, but you have to know that no matter what happens, I love you."

"I know, I love you too."

He bent down and hugged her tightly, hating that tomorrow he would have to take her back to Darla and wait another week to see her.

"You like Buffy though, don't you bit?"

Dawn nodded against him before closing her eyes.

"Goodnight, Dawnie."

He kissed her forehead before he turned off the light and walked into the living room. Buffy was watching TV on the couch and she stood when he walked out.

"What's wrong?"

Spike smiled, touched that she could read him so quickly. "Just the usual, pet. I'm fine."

Buffy looked like she wanted to ask more but kissed his cheek instead and allowed him to hold her for a moment.

"Did Dawn have a good time today?"

He nodded. "I think you two hit it off pretty well."

"Bit of a shaky start though."

He chuckled. "Bloody awkward, wasn't it."

She punched him lightly on the chest and he mock pouted before kissing her again. He led her over to the rug in front of the television and pulled her down with him. "Anything good on?"

Buffy shrugged. "Not really."

"We could put a movie on."

She shook her head and he kissed her softly before looking into her eyes.

"Are we ok then?" she asked softly.

"Of course we are."

"I was worried.. about meeting Dawn. I didn't know if I could stand it if she hated me and you never wanted to see me again."

Spike smiled and brushed a stray lock of hair out of her eyes. "You would have to really hate each other for me to walk away from you. I was worried you would really get that I have a kid and run away."

She shook her head. "You're a good father, I can see why she loves you so much."

He kissed her again, and this time their tongues met briefly before she pulled back. "What about Dawn?"

He smiled. "I can hear if she gets up. We'll just have to make out like horny teenagers, can't take any clothes off for now."

She giggled and kissed him again, this time allowing him to deepen it until she felt lightheaded, her lips tingly. He rolled them so that he was half on top of her, one of his legs between hers. His thigh was placed just perfectly to rub against her right where she needed him.

"Spike.."

"Shh.." he whispered in her ear, sending a pleasant shiver down her spine. "I'm going to finish a bit of what I started, but we've got to keep quiet."

"But what about the clothes rule?"

"Didn't say I needed to take any clothes off did I?"

She raised an eyebrow and he smirked. "Just let me do all the work, pet."

He kissed her again and ran his hand down her side to her thigh, spreading her legs further he let her thighs cradle his hips and moved until his erection pressed intimately against her. The seam of her jeans, along with his hard ridge of flesh provided the perfect amount of friction against her clit.

He raised himself up on his forearms and watched her face as he rocked his hips against hers. "Feel good, sweetheart?"

Buffy nodded, not trusting herself enough to open her mouth for fear she'd let out a moan. Spike's grin turned wicked as he thrust harder against her, one hand fondling her breast through her t-shirt.

"God, pet, haven't done this since I was sixteen."

He buried his face in her neck and left open mouth kisses there before sucking gently. Her hands came up to clutch at his back, urging him on. She could feel it coming and held him tight against her as he continued pumping his hips and sucking on her neck.

She closed her eyes and bit down on his shoulder to muffle her cry as her orgasm rocked through her. He grunted into her neck and pressed hard against before going rigid for a second and moaning softly.

They lay together for a moment before he raised himself up so that he could look at her. "Bloody hell, Buffy, didn't think you where going to bite me."

She grinned up at him. "Guess you liked it though," she whispered looking down at the large wet spot on his jeans.

He mock glared at her before kissing her quickly. "That wasn't exactly part of my plan. Now I have to do laundry."

"Yeah? Well I probably have a hickey. Talk about high school."

"Sorry, kinda got carried away in the moment."

He leaned down and kissed her again, their tongues brushing softly against each other before he pulled back and looked down at her, suddenly serious.

"Buffy..."

He paused and she looked at him questioningly. "What is it?"

"I think..." Spike's mind was a jumble of emotion. He'd known Buffy only for a few months, but he felt more strongly for her than he had for anyone save possibly Drusilla. He thought back to how hard she'd tried all day to make an effort with Dawn and his heart swelled even more. He knew it in that moment that she was the one.

He kissed her again and pulled back. "I love you, Buffy."

Her momentary pause was all he needed to realize that he might have spoken too soon. He looked away and swallowed before glancing back at her shocked face. "Don't have to say anything.. Just thought you should know."

He kissed her again and stood. "I should change. I'll be right back."

He walked into the bathroom, leaving Buffy sitting on the floor in the living room, both their minds going a million miles a minute.