NA GRACH CROI



Chapter 7: ‘alainn beannacht’ (Beautiful Blessing)


After their quick ‘honeymoon’ Spike and Buffy made their way, by train to the County of Antrim in Northern Ireland. Spike’s family farm was located just on the outskirts of Balleycastle and he spoke of it with fondness to Buffy. Their trip, which took hours, did not seem quite long enough for Buffy. The words that Anya had told her were haunting Buffy, making her unsure and ill at ease about her new life.

“You’ll love the farm, Buffy luv,” Spike reassured her, dozens of times, “I love it. So will you. Promise.”

Buffy wanted to believe Spike as she had fallen for this handsome Irishman from the minute she laid eyes on him. However, the logical part of her mind kept questioning her decision to marry this fine man and become a part of his life.

‘You’re a fool, Buffy,’ the irritating voice kept taunting her, ‘to think that some day, some how, some one from your past will not come forward. Destroy your new life with this man.’

Buffy brushed the troubling voice aside, ‘who in world would be near Balleycastle, Ireland, that I could possibly know?’ Her own questions to the annoying voice in her head put her mind at ease, at least temporarily.

The couple arrived in the Balleycastle train station, not twelve hours after they left Belfast together. Of course, since Spike had not wired ahead, there was no one to meet them at the train. If Buffy thought this odd, she made no mention of it.

‘Better this way,’ she assured herself, ‘to get to the farm, unobserved by anyone.’

It seemed that this was the way it was to be, that is until a jovial, warm voice called out in greeting to Buffy’s husband, Spike.

“William O’Hara,” came the happy voice in greeting, “will you not stop to say hello to your own parrish Priest, boy?”

Spike turned to see Father Rupert Giles, the man who had been as close to his own flesh and blood, rush up to bid him ‘hello.’

“Hello, Father,” Spike greeted the fine looking man, in his long black robes. “It’s good to see you, sir.”

Father Giles eyed the young O’Hara up and down, “no worse for the wear I see, my son,” he chuckled.

Spike looked down at his feet, then seemed to suddenly remember his bride, Buffy, beside him.

“Father,” Spike began shyly, “this is my wife, Buffy Summers, O’Hara that is. We married, just yesterday in Belfast.”

Buffy was not one to feel very ‘comfortable’ around religious people. Especially since her past lifestyle was everything opposed to what these ‘priests and preachers’ might consider Christian and such. However, this friendly, warm priest, Father Giles, gave Buffy such an affectionate smile, that she could not resist extending her tiny hand to him.

“Hello Father Giles,” Buffy greeted the man, somewhat shyly, “it’s nice to meet you. William has said wonderful things about you.”

Father Giles gave Buffy a quick once over, then smiled again, kindly. He took Buffy’s little hand in his own and grinned at Spike with genuine affection.

“Well, boy,” Father Giles stated evenly, with another warm smile, “I can see you have done well for yourself. Your bride is a true treasure, no question. About time an O’Hara married and settled down.”

Buffy blushed bright red, but decided right then that she would be great friends with this particular Priest, Father Giles.

“A treasure she is, Father,” Spike smiled at Buffy and took her hand again in his. “I’m am truly blessed to have found her.”

Shaking off his daze of wedded bliss, at least for a moment, Spike peered at Father Giles and asked with hesitation, “how’s my brother, Angel?”

Father Giles, who was quite a fine looking man, with a smile of a Saint, Buffy thought anyway, suddenly took on a scowl to his lovely mouth.

“Your brother, Angel,” the Priest snorted, quite unholy like, “is as always. A bitter man, twisted in form and soul, my son, William.”

Buffy watched Spike’s own beautiful smile turn down into a frown as he took in the Priest’s words. She felt so helpless, for a moment, then reached out and again clasped her husband’s large hand in hers.

“My husband is a sensitive soul, Father,” she whispered to the Priest, “he has told me of his poor brother’s sadness. I hope I can comfort my William and perhaps help mend the rift between the brothers?”

Father Giles bestowed the most warm, affectionate grin on Buffy, giving her a sense of true strength and hope.

“You’re a fine young woman, Buffy O’Hara,” the Priest murmered as he crossed himself. “I bless you and your husband, William, who is a fine man. But, then again, you truly know this, right?”

Buffy nodded and smiled at the Priest with sincere affection, “yes, I know my husband is a fine man, Father,” she acknowledged.

“You are a lucky man, William O’Hara,” Giles repeated to his good friend. “Take care of your treasure, boy. May you both be blessed with good health, happiness and a dozen children full of both.”

Spike grinned a his beloved Priest and shook his hand, warmly. “Thank you Father,” he stated evenly. “I should be getting my wife and myself back to the farm. Seeing to my lovely sister and poor Angel, too. Please say a prayer, Father, for Angel that is. He’s a good man, truly, just sad beyond is years.”

Buffy noticed that Father Giles raised his fair brow, slightly, then nodded at her husband. “I shall, as I always do, William,” he responded.

“But, my son,” Father Giles continued, “for now, you need to take your ‘alainn beannacht’ to your and her new home. It was truly a pleasure to meet you, Buffy, dear,” the Priest finished with a sincere smile. “God bless you both my children,” he murmered and took his leave.

“Thank you Father,” Buffy called after the man who strode away from her and William.

“What a nice man,” Buffy whispered in awe to William, who just shrugged.

“He was my folks best friend, Buffy,” Spike admitted to her. “Been a part of my life since I can remember.”

“Will,” Buffy began, shyly, “what does ‘alainn beannacht’ mean?”

Spike grinned at Buffy, wrapped his left arm about her and pulled her to him, tightly. “Simply put, my love,” he murmered in her ear, placing a warm kiss on it, “it means ‘beautiful blessing.’

Buffy followed Spike to the ‘wire station’ and watched as he greeted the station master there.

“Hello Jesse Walling,” Spike called to the young man behind the counter, “it’s good to see you, boy.”

This Jesse hurried out from behind the counter and clasped Spike’s hand in his own, “good to see you William,” he gushed.

“My wife, Buffy O’Hara,” Spike nodded at Buffy proudly as the dark haired younger man eyed her with appreciation.

“You’ve done well for yourself, William,” this Jesse chortled happily, “wish I’d find such a catch.” He winked at Buffy’s husband, wickedly, but she took no offense. Already, Buffy was finding life in this whole area just might be quite satisfactory to her.

Buffy reached out her hand and Jesse took it, gallantly, then kissed it, quickly. “Hope that’s all right William,” he chuckled, “such a fine lass, who could resist a peck on this tiny, pure hand.”

She suddenly felt a bit ‘odd’ when Jesse mentioned, fine and pure in the same sentence.

“Can you call my home, then, Jesse,” Spike asked, changing the subject and taking Buffy’s hand in his. “See if Angel can come fetch us? Or Xander if he’s about?”

Walling called his home, ‘need to start calling it our home now’, Spike reminded himself as he smiled softly at his new bride.

“I hope old Xander is about,” Spike said quietly to Buffy, “I’d rather it be him then my own brother that comes to fetch us. Angel needs some getting used to I’m afraid…” his voice trailed off.

Spike and Buffy sat in the wire station and chatted with Mr. Walling, amicably. Jesse Walling filled the newlyweds in on all of the latest gossip from the surrounding area, including the elopement of a young woman from Balleycastle and a certain older widower by the name of Patrick Wilkens.

“It was the talk of the town, William,” Jesse chuckled as he poured the couple another cuppa of tea. “Old lady Walsh was scandalized for months! She was furious, thought she’d snag old Wilkens for herself! Who knew old Patrick had set his sights on the young, innocent Colleen McPheresan! It was a major calamity and kept the excitement up for months, like I said.”

Buffy smiled at William, who seemed to be enjoying his old friend’s gossip as much as she was. ‘It’s going to be fine,’ Buffy told herself again, ‘it’s going to be all right here. On my husband’s farm.’

The front door of the wire station flew open, and a rather large, dark haired man entered the room. Buffy looked up at the imposing young man, wide-eyed and a little intimidated. There was something in this man’s chocolate brown eyes, something dark and angry, she could sense it from where she sat. When he came closer to their trio, Buffy realized that this man was missing his right arm, a mere folded back sleeve where the arm should be.

“Hello big brother,” Angel O’Hara greeted Spike with a sneer, “Who’s this pretty piece of skirt then?”


A/N: I’m trying to get interested in this story again. Short chapter, but now it’s time for Buffy to get to the farm, meet some more of the characters and for the stage to be set for the angst to come. I will try to get this going again, I know it’s a hard read, but I really think it will pan out later. Thanks for reading, please review. (Oh, Father Giles will play a very important part later in the fic!) Luv, Spuf