Thanks to Sarah...my wondeful Beta Reader!

Chapter 14: "In Dreams" (R)

"Happy to oblige," Spike replied rolling off of her. He sat up on the edge of the cot. He could still hear Buffy breathing roughly. He smiled, loving the fact that he still had it.

He stood up. "I need a smoke," he said while tucking himself back in and zipping up his pants. "You'll be gone when I get back," he said more as a statement then a question.

"Yes."

"Good."

Buffy watched Spike ascend the stairs two at a time. When he was gone she laid down on her side and pulled the blanket over her nude form. She was to weak to get up yet. All she wanted to do was sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike returned minutes later to find Buffy fast asleep on the cot.

"Stupid git," he mumbled walking over to the cot.

He debated whether he should wake her or not. He was sure if he didn't Angel might find her down here, which would result in him being dusted. But, he could let her sleep then wake her up, have another shag session with her and send her on her merry way. Yeah, that idea sounded better than the former.

Spike took off his pants and settled in beside Buffy. He laid with his back pressed to hers. He had to shove at her a little so he could have some room. He saw that she had taken full control of the only pillow, so he used his arm to rest his head on. He closed his eyes and listened to the slow rhythmic breathing coming from the body next to him. Soon he was asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike moaned and rolled over in bed. He wrapped his arm around Buffy and pulled her closer.

"Spike."

He heard something and opened one eye. He waited for the noise to sound again. When he didn't hear anything he scooted closer to Buffy and nuzzled his face into her hair.

"Spike."

Spike lifted his head. He heard his name being called. His eyes flashed yellow as he looked around the dark basement for the owner of the voice.

He sat up when he spotted her in the corner. "Dru?"

Spike stared in awe as his dark princess appeared out of nowhere. She wore her favorite white dress and held Miss Edith in her arms. She floated over to him.

"My pretty Spike."

"Dru, is it really you?"

Dru stroked the side of Spike's face with the back of her hand. Spike closed his eyes and savored the feel of his love touching him. She was really here. She came back for him.

"Why are you here?"

Dru looked down at Miss Edith and started to walk around to the other side of the cot. Spike followed her with his eyes and that's when he noticed the Slayer next to him. He had forgotten all about her. He looked up at Dru. She had Miss Edith pressed up to her ear. Apparently the doll was telling her something. He felt the bed shift and glanced down towards Buffy. She was now lying on her back, the sheet that had covered her body was bunched at her waist, exposing her breasts and bare stomach.

"Naughty Spike," he heard Dru say. He lifted his gaze once again and saw her staring at Buffy.

"Mummy should be mad," she told him, setting Miss Edith down on the bed. "But, it's all part of the plan."

Spike watched Dru lift her hands till they were hovering above Buffy's abdomen.

"Dru?"

"Ooooo," she sang, closing her eyes. "So strong." She lifted Miss Edith into the air and started spinning. "Miss Edith was right," she said, continuing to spin around the room.

Spike quickly covered Buffy up with the blanket. "What was she right about?"

Dru stopped dancing and looked at him. "Do you hear it?" she asked him, her eyes peering around the room. "It's getting closer."

Spike kept his eyes on her as she walked over to him and sat down on the cot.

"Listen," she instructed, placing her hands over his ears.

"Dru, I cant...."

"Shh," she whispered. "Listen."

Thats when he heard it. The faintest sound of a baby crying.

"Its..."

Dru smiled. "The answer."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy felt Spike tighten his arm around her. She idly wondered when he had put it there. Deciding to ignore that thought she pulled his arm off of her and sat up. She closed her eyes and rubbed the sleep out of them with the palms of her hands. When she opened her eye she saw that the basement was now glowing with light. Candles were everywhere. She looked behind her and saw Spike's still sleeping form on the cot. Moving her gaze across the room she spotted a cement block in the middle. She stood and moved to it. Something was drawing her towards it. There was something there that she knew she had to see. As she got closer a baby appeared on it. A newborn, naked and sleeping peacefully on top. A calming feeling washed over her. She knew that the baby was hers. Her eyes started to water.

"My baby," she whispered. She started to move closer to it, but was stopped. She tried to move again but something was keeping her in one spot.

"Slayer," a voice sang from behind her.

"Who's there?" Buffy asked her eyes frantically searching the darkness.

"Does my Spike please you?"

Buffy tensed at the question. "Drusilla," she hissed before seeing the vamp appear beside her.

"He does," Dru told her, holding a hand in front of her and looking over her body. "You glow. You're satisfied."

"What do you want, Dru?"

Dru looked at the baby and smiled.

"So pure," she moaned, walking over to it. She took the baby into her arms. "So evil," she continued, then started to hum a lullaby. "The answer."

Anger filled every vein of her body at the sight of her baby in Dru's embrace. Buffy clenched and unclenched her hands at her sides.

"Put my baby down."

Dru ignored her. Still holding the baby she floated past Buffy. Buffy turned slightly so she could still see Dru.

"Dru, I swear if you don't put my baby down...." she yelled, panic starting to take over her anger. She couldn't do anything. She couldn't move.

Dru turned towards Buffy. But her eyes weren't on the Slayer. Instead they seemed to burn right through her.

"I knew you'd come."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy's eyes flew open. She sighed, relieved that it had all been a dream. It had felt so real. The feelings she had experienced were intense. She shuddered involuntarily and looked over at Spike. He was there, asleep. She pushed the sheet that was on her away and got up. Finding her robe she put it on. She quickly grabbed her top and left the basement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy woke up in her own bed to the sound of the phone ringing. She blindly reached for it and plucked it off the receiver.

"Hello?"

"Buffy, it's Willow."

Buffy ran a hand through her hair and forced her brain to wake up. "Hey Wills."

"How are you holding up?"

Buffy's mind drifted to last night and her moment with Spike. Despite herself she smiled as the way he made her feel came over her.

"Surprisingly good," she answered, the smile still plastered on her face. "I feel refreshed."

"Really?" Willow asked in shock. "Did something happen between you and Angel?"

The smile on Buffy's face faded away at the mention of Angel. It dawned on her that she had betrayed Angel by sleeping with Spike. Suddenly the content she felt slipped away and was replaced with remorse.

"Uh, not really," she told her. "I just had a good nights rest. If you don't count the dream I had."

"What was the dream about?"

Buffy sat up and braced her back against the headboard. "Im still kind of half asleep, so I can't really remember it vividly."

"But, Buffy what if the dream will tell us something about why you got pregnant and with Spike's baby."

"Willow I never said I didn't remember it, I just don't feel up to talking about it right now."

"Oh."

Buffy pushed the covers off her body and stood up. "Listen, can you call Giles for me and tell him I'll be at the library after my doctor's appointment. I need to ask him some things."

"Sure," Willow said then paused. "Do you want me to go with you?"

"Where?"

"The doctor's?"

Buffy sighed heavily. "No, I want to go alone."

"Are you sure? I can come if you want. You know, be the shoulder to lean on, the hand to hold."

"Yes, I'm sure. Thanks anyway."

"Okay. So do you want me to call the rest of the scoobies and converge at the library as well?"

"Sure, why not. You guys are as much a part of this as I am."

"I guess I'll see you there," Willow said then asked. "What time?"

Buffy glanced at the clock on her nightstand. "My appointment is at one, so I'd say around two"

"All right, see you then."

"Bye."

Buffy replaced the phone on it's cradle and sat down on her bed. For some reason she had a weird feeling in the pit of her stomach. She knew it wasn't morning sickness, it was something else. It was almost like she knew something was coming. Something that she couldn't control. Maybe it was just the after effects of the dream she'd had. Seeing Dru holing her baby still unnerved her. She was powerless the whole time during the dream. She couldn't save her child, let alone fight for herself. Even though the dream showed no indication of Dru harming her baby, she knew Dru was a bad sign.

"I really need to talk to Giles," she said, getting up from the bed. "I need to know why this is happening."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Miss Summers?" a nurse called from the door.

Buffy glanced up from the magazine she had been flipping through. "Yes?"

"Come with me."

Buffy got up from her seat and followed the nurse down the hall to a tiny room. The nurse opened the door and walked in. Buffy followed.

"Take a seat," the nurse instructed, pointing to the bed.

Buffy set her coat down on the chair in the corner and hopped onto the bed. She watched the nurse as she filled out her chart.

"So," the nurse said, turning to face her, "this is your first time seeing Doctor Morris?"

Buffy folded her hands together and set them in her lap. "Yes."

"How far along are you?"

"Um, about two months."

"Okay," the nurse breathed, jotting something down on the chart.

The nurse then proceeded to take her temperature and blood pressure. When she was done she handed Buffy a gown.

"Take your clothes off and put this on. Dr. Morris will be in shortly."

Buffy smiled weakly. "Thank you."

The nurse returned the smile and left the room.

Buffy slid off the bed and slowly began to remove her clothes. Once she had them off she put the gown on and laid down on the bed. Seconds after she had lain down she heard the click of the door. She looked up and saw a tall, thin woman with dark, curly hair come in. The lady was looking at her chart. She closed the door and looked at Buffy. "Hello Buffy, I'm Dr. Morris."

"Hi."

"How are you today?" Dr. Morris asked, moving to stand by the bed.

"Nervous," Buffy replied.

"Nervous? Why are you nervous?"

"I'm worried something will be wrong."

The doctor placed a comforting hand on Buffy's arm. "I'm sure nothing will be wrong. You're a strong young woman in good health."

Buffy smiled at the doctor's attempt to calm her nerves.

"So, should we wait for the father to arrive or do you want to go ahead and start?"

"He isn't coming."

The doctor eyed her curiously. "But he knows you're here?"

"No."

"Do you know who the father of your baby is?"

Buffy felt her mouth go dry and she swallowed. "Yes, but we aren't on the best of terms right now."

"I see," Dr. Morris spoke softly. "Does he know you're pregnant with his child?"

"He knows."

"And what does he have to say about it?"

Buffy shut her eyes and sighed. "Dr. Morris I really don't want to talk about it right now."

Dr. Morris nodded her head. She reached behind her for the swivel stool and pulled it close to the bed. She sat down.

"Buffy, I'm not trying to pry into your personal life."

"It feels like you are."

"I'm only trying to understand you and what's going on in your life. Not only am I your doctor but I am someone you can come to if you need to talk. My job is to see that this pregnancy goes as smoothly as possible by being your doctor and a friend."

Buffy stared at Dr. Morris. She really needed a person to talk to besides Willow and Angel. Someone who wouldn't prejudge or criticize any decisions she made. Most importantly someone who could help her understand what was happening to her.

"Thank you."

"Now that we have that all laid out, let's get started."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Spike's what?!" Xander yelled, bolting up from his seat.

"Staying with Buffy," Giles answered, calmly flipping through the latest book dealing with prophecies.

"And you're okay with this?"

"No, I'm not."

Xander threw his hands into the air. "Then why are you allowing it to happen?"

Giles looked up from the book in his hand and fixed Xander with a stare. "Because we may need his help."

"We don't need his help," Xander stated firmly. "We can figure this out without him. Buffy has us to help her."

"Xander," Willow spoke up. "Spike is the father of her baby."

"So?" he shrugged. "I bet when that baby is born he'll use it as an appetizer before he chows down on Buffy."

"Xander!" Cordelia shouted from her seat beside him. "Will you shut up, you're giving me a headache."

Xander glared at her. "Gee, Cordy I knew I could count on you to not give a damn about Buffy."

Cordelia shot to her feet. "As far as I'm concerned your precious Buffy made her bed and now she can lay in it."

After saying her piece she stalked towards the exit.

"Yeah, well....not with Spike!" Xander shouted after her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy saw Cordelia burst out of the library.

"Cordelia!" she yelled, trying to get her attention.

Cordelia spun around and saw Buffy waving at her. She huffed then turned on her heels and walked away.

Buffy wondered what was wrong with Cordelia. Just then Xander came through the door.

"Xander!"

Xander saw Buffy. "Hey Buff."

"Whats wrong with Cordelia?" she asked, pointing in the direction she last saw her.

"Buffy I can't talk right now," he said, backing away from her.

"But..."

"I'll try to come back later."

Buffy tried again to call out to him, but he was already halfway down the hall. She shrugged her shoulders and shook her head. She pushed the door open to the library and walked in.

"Hey gang," she greeted. She saw Willow at the table typing away at her laptop, Oz leaning over her, but Giles was nowhere in sight.

Willow peered over the top of her computer when she heard Buffy.

"Buffy," she said, getting up and walking over to her. "How did the appointment go?"

"Fine."

"Everything okay?" Willow inquired. "You know, strong heartbeat?"

"The baby is fine. In fact, the doctor says I'm right on schedule."

"When is the due date?"

"August 4th give or take a few days."

Willow smiled at the good news and at the fact that Buffy seemed happy, more so then usual.

"Where's Giles?"

"Right here," he answered, coming out of his office. "Willow said you had something to tell me."

Buffy nodded her head. "Yes, I do. I had a dream last night," she told him. "And Dru was in it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike woke up and smiled. It was time to wake Buffy and have his way with her. He turned onto his side and was surprised to find her gone. When had she left? What time was it?

He got out of bed and put his pants on. He pulled his shirt on roughly and started up the stairs.

He found the kitchen empty. He went into the den next and saw Angel talking on the phone.

Angel saw Spike walk into the room. "Yes, he's up," he told the person on the other end. "We'll be down there soon."

Angel hung up the phone and turned to Spike.

"Who was that?" Spike asked, sitting down on the couch.

"Willow."

"What did the witch say?"

"That we need to go to the library."

Spike snorted. "We? I'm not going anywhere."

"You really want to stay holed up here?"

"Who said I was staying here?" Spike questioned. "I'm going out."

"No, you aren't," Angel said. "If you don't come with me then I tie you up."

"What!?"

"After last night I'm not taking any chances."

"Bloody hell!" Spike cried. "I'd rather throw myself in front of the vamps that are after me than stay with you all if that's the way I'm going to be treated."

"How do you want us to treat you, Spike? Serve you at your beck and call?"

Spike pondered Angel's question, then answered. "Well, yeah."

Angel laughed. "We're leaving," he told him before walking out of the room.

"Soddin hell!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Okay before Spike and Angel get here let's go over your dream once more."

"Okay."

Giles started to pace around the room. "Now you say that you saw a baby."

"My baby."

"We don't know if it was your baby," Giles informed her.

"I know," Buffy told him. "I know the baby was mine."

"Buffy...."

"It was."

"Very well," Giles gave in. "And Dru told you your baby was pure and evil?"

"Yes, she also said it was the 'answer'. What do you think that means?"

"I'm not sure really. I was up all night researching but I couldn't find anything that was helpful. But before we try to break down your dream I want to know if Spike had one as well. Maybe his will shine some light on yours." Giles turned to Willow. "Willow have you found anything?"

"Nope. Right now I'm downloading information on the spells I performed that night. Maybe it was something I did to cause Buffy's condition."

"Willow, it wasn't your fault," Buffy counseled. "There is no way one tiny love spell caused this to happen."

Willow gave Buffy a slanted smile. "You're right, but I still want to check."

"Stop pushing me!"

Willow, Buffy, Giles and Oz all looked up at the entrance. Spike and Angel had finally arrived. Spike looked pissed and Angel looked annoyed. Angel saw Buffy and walked over to her. He leaned down and kissed her on the cheek. Buffy looked at Spike. He was staring at her, a cocky grin spread across his face. She knew instantly want he was thinking about.

Spike clicked his tongue and let his eyes roam over Buffy's body. He really wished she had been there when he woke up. A quick roll in the hay would have started his day off great.

Buffy felt herself growing hot under Spike's gaze. She tore her eyes away from him and looked at Giles.

"Giles before we start interrogating Spike I need to talk to him," she said, standing up.

"What about?"

Buffy strolled over to Spike. "It's personal," she replied then grabbed Spike by the arm and jerked him out into the hall.


TBC.............Next chapter deals more with the dreams and what they might mean.