Chapter 18: "Woke up this Morning"

"I just can't understand this," Joyce said while pouring herself a new cup of coffee. "You're so young. You're only eighteen. How could this happen?"

Joyce waited for a response from her daughter but Buffy was in another world. She had stayed awake most of the night waiting for Spike to come back. It was now morning and he still hadn't returned.

"I'm sorry Mom, what?"

Joyce sighed heavily and sat down at the table across from Buffy.

"Buffy, I would really like to know how this happened. I mean, you sleeping with Spike, then..."

"I'm not sleeping with him."

Joyce nodded her head. "I just wish you had told me sooner. I'm your mother and I hate it when you hide stuff from me."

"Mom, I was confused," she tried to explain. "And I'm scared."

"What...?"

Their conversation was interrupted by the sound of the doorbell.

"I'll get it," Joyce spoke, getting up from her chair.

Joyce brushed Buffy's shoulder comfortingly as she left the kitchen to
answer the front door. The doorbell rang again as she grasped the knob
and swung the door open to find Xander, Willow, and Giles on the other side.

"Giles, Willow, Xander. What brings you here so early?"

"May we come in, Joyce?" Giles asked, gesturing with his hand.

Joyce held her head in her hand. "Where are my manners?" she mumbled lightly. "Yes, come in."
She stepped aside and opened the door wider.

"Is Buffy here?" Giles asked as he crossed the threshold.

"Oh, yes. Buffy!"

Buffy came into the room seconds later.

"Who is it.....oh, hi guys."

"Buffy, where's Spike?"

Buffy looked down at the ground.

"He's not here."

Giles smiled. "Good. What I have to tell you I don't want him to hear."

Giles and the others started into the den. Joyce gave Buffy a questioning look. Buffy shrugged her shoulders.

"What do you mean 'you don't want him to hear'?" she asked as she moved into the den.

Giles opened a book he had brought with him and started to flip through it.

"Last night I came across something that might relate to your current situation."

"What did you find?"

"A passage," he answered, still flipping through pages. "Ah, here it is."

He cleared his throat and began to read aloud to everyone in the room.

"A child born to the moon and sun. All doors once opened will close as one."

"The sun represents you Buffy and of course the moon represents Spike," Willow explained from her seat on the couch.

"What about the doors?"

Giles shut the book and removed his glasses. "This passage seems to indicate the start of something. We still don't know what it fully means or why Spike is involved."

"When will we find out more?"

"Angel's friend from LA is supposed to arrive soon with some scrolls. Angel told me they contain information that may be useful to us."

"And if they don't?"

"Then we'll keep looking."

"So," Xander spoke up, clapping his hands together. "I'm sure this calls for a special Scooby meeting. What time should we meet tonight?"

"I think Buffy deserves some rest. The rest of you can enjoy yourselves tonight. I'll look over the scrolls myself before we meet again."

"Then the Bronze it is," Xander declared.

Buffy's face lit up. "I think I'll take a rain check on that resting and go with you guys."

"Buffy are you sure? Maybe you should stay home tonight," her mother suggested.

"I'm sure," she told her Mom. "Besides it will give me a chance to wear the outfit I just bought before I get too fat to wear it."

Willow smiled. "Yea, fun night."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Joyce was in the kitchen when she heard the door open.

"Spike," she greeted when she saw him walk in. "Where have you been?"

Spike ran a hand through his hair. "Uh, out."

Joyce smiled softly then turned to the sink. "I was just about to make myself some hot chocolate. Would you like some?"

"You have those little marshmallows?"

Joyce glanced over her should at him and nodded.

A slow grin spread across his face. "Count me in."

Joyce filled a pot with milk and set it on the stove. She set the gauge to low then reached over and pulled two mugs out of the cupboard. She placed them on the counter near the stove.

"Where's the Sl....Buffy?"

Joyce walked over to the island Spike was sitting at and leaned against it.

"Out with Willow and Xander."

"Oh," he mumbled.

"So, Spike how have you been?"

Spike spotted a napkin laying near him. He picked it up and started to fiddle with it, using it as a distraction to avoid looking Joyce in the eyes.

"Not so good since I found out what I did to your daughter."

Joyce furrowed her brows. "Spike, you didn't know."

"Yeah, I didn't. Not supposed to be able to do that...you know vamp and all," he said, starting to tear at the napkin.

Joyce reached out and plucked the napkin from his grasp. Spike looked up at her.

"I don't want to be a dad, Joyce. I don't want this baby."

Joyce exhaled slowly. "I'm not the one you should be telling this to," she informed him. "But, I'm going to tell you something about when I became pregnant with Buffy. Maybe it will help you a little."

She realized then that she still had the napkin in her hand. She put it aside.

"Buffy wasn't planned."

Spike's eyes widened at her confession.

"Hank and I were just starting out. We were so young," she told him, her eyes becoming distant as she recalled the memories. "Not as young as you and...." she paused when she remembered what Spike was. "Not as young as Buffy. It was hard at first, dealing with the unexpected news. But, eventually the love we shared, Hank and I, helped us through it all. And, when Buffy was born, I took one look at her and knew she was a blessing."

Spike nodded his head, understanding where she was coming from. He didn't want to say what he was about to, but it had to be told.

"I don't love Buffy."

Joyce sighed. "Give it time Spike. It will all work out in the end," she told him. "Maybe you won't ever love my daughter, but you both have a child coming and that child will need you both."

Spike looked at Joyce and again nodded his head.

There was a moment of silence and understanding between the two of them before Joyce remembered the hot chocolate.

"I changed my mind about the cocoa. I think I'm going to head up to bed. Do you still want a cup?" she asked, heading over to the stove.

"Sure, I'm going to wait for Buffy to come home," he said while watching her pour milk into one of the mugs.

Joyce finished and placed the cup in front of him.

"Thanks," he said, referring to more than just the hot chocolate.

Joyce smiled. "You're welcome."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike was just about finished with his cocoa when he heard the front door open. He set the mug down on the island and hopped off the stool. He could hear Buffy talking to someone as he made his way into the foyer.

"Tell Xander not to worry." He heard her tell someone just as he came into the foyer. "Spike won't be a problem much longer."

He heard the other person mumble something which caused Buffy to laugh. She then waved good-bye and shut the door.

Buffy turned and was startled as she saw Spike standing in the doorway.

Spike watched as she slowed her breathing then finally faced him with an icy glare.

"You have a bad habit of sneaking up on people," she seethed.

"What do you mean by, 'Spike won't be a problem'?" he asked, coming further into the foyer.

"Well," she began, "maybe if you hadn't of walked out last night you would've been here this morning when Giles came over."

Spike smirked. "What's the matter, luv? Frustrated cause we didn't finish?"

Buffy realized what she'd said and how it had sounded. "That's not what I meant..." She stumbled over her words, trying to hide the fact that it had upset her. "No."

Spike raked his eyes over her. He took in the outfit she was wearing and his lip curled in disgust. The whorishly tight leather pants she wore clung to her like a second skin. The top dipped low and was only held on by a strap around her neck and two strings that tied in the back.

"Where did you go tonight?" he asked, his eyes still roaming over her body.

"Out," she choked. Immediately she berated herself for sounding so weak. But how could she not? The way he seemed to be undressing her with his eyes made her pulse race.

"Out," Spike repeated, letting the word roll over his tongue. He moved closer. He lifted his eyes to hers.

Buffy rolled her eyes. "God, Spike, give me a break," she huffed then started to move around him.

Spike slapped his hands flat against the door on either side of her. Trapping her.

"Did you get what you wanted?" he growled, his eyes boring into hers.

Buffy opened her mouth to say something.

"Did you find some soddin wanker to screw you?"

Buffy blinked several times. Where the hell did he get that idea? That's when it dawned on her, he was jealous. She smiled.

"They were all over me like bees to honey," she told him. "Tons of them just itching to rip my clothes off."

Her smile widened and she leaned forward until her mouth was next to his ear.

"One said he wanted to fuck me so hard my head would explode."

She pulled back expecting to see anger in his eyes and all over his face. She was shocked when that wasn't what she saw at all. Instead his eyes shone in amusement and a cocky smile was plastered on his face.

"Slayer," he purred. "What would your friends think if they knew what you were doing. The slayer willingly giving her body to anyone and all for a brief screw."

"Bastard."

"Uh, uh." He chastised shaking his head from side to side. "None of that Slayer."

Buffy reached up to slap him, but Spike caught her wrist in his hand and forced her arm down to her side.

"Now," he said trailing his hand up her arm then back down. "I hope you told them 'no'. Cause ol' Spike 'ere doesn't like to share," he told her, pulling her body flush against his. "At least not until he's done with it."

TBC..................Spuffiness to come!