Chapter 29: "Sun, Moon and Stars"

Rated: NC17

Disclaimer: See first chapter

THANKS TO CHLOE.......my WONDERFUL beta reader!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What makes you think he's even gonna give us the answers we want?" Spike asked, voice full of irritation. After their moment in the bathroom, things had started to get more intimate and had fast been approaching the 'fall into bed' mode when Buffy had abruptly stopped everything and told him it was time for a Scoobie meeting. Spike had tried to convince her to wait to call Giles about the meeting until after they finished what they’d begun, but alas, he’d failed miserably in his attempts. So, he’d found himself obediently trotting along behind the Slayer as they walked down the halls of Sunnydale High. The lengths he would go to just to get a little romp from the Slayer.

Buffy's mouth set into a thin line filled with determination. The very same question had been running through her mind during the drive. Only one answer seemed to fit.

"’Cause if he doesn't, then I'm going to force it out of him. Very, very slowly."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ah, Buffy," Giles greeted when his petite Slayer burst through the swinging doors. "And Spike." He added a moment later, his voice sounding a little perplexed when he noticed the bleached vamps entrance.

"Where is he?" Buffy asked, as she stalked over to the wooden table just below the stacks and throwing her bag onto it.

Giles removed his glasses and regarded her with a speculative air. "Angel went to pick him up. He should be here any moment."

Buffy nodded her head. "Good. That gives me time to fill all of you in."

Spike, who had remained by the checkout counter near the door, kept his gaze on Buffy as she relayed the recent events to her friends and watcher. His gaze drifted up and down the length of her, taking in every curve and crevice. Was it wrong to want to take her right now in front of her friends? He wondered. To throw her on top of the table where her friends sat and pound into her until she screamed his name in ecstasy? Or maybe take her into her watchers office and do it on the desk? Yeah, that sounded kinky. Right where the watcher did the research on killing his kind. Taint everything holy the council stood for by screwing one of their slayers on top of their very books, papers, and journals… Not a bad idea, not a bad idea at all. Now, if he could just get her…

"Spike?"

Spike snapped free of his trance at the sound of his name being called. He blinked languidly and found the whole Scooby gang starting at him. He noticed the peeved off look on the Slayer's face and instantly knew that he had been caught leering at her.

"Wha’?"

"I asked if you’d had any further dreams with Drucilla in them?" Giles repeated.

Spike shook his head in response. "Nah, none that I can remember."

Giles shifted his gaze to the ground, contemplating Spike's answer. He started to pace back and forth, holding his chin in his hand. He stopped his pacing long enough to look over at Spike once more.

"Are you sure you haven't had any? No dreams or visions of the sort?"

"Nope." Spike lied. Well, it wasn't really a lie. When Dru’d last come to him it had been while he’d been wide-awake, conscious. So, technically he wasn't lying.

"Odd."

"Buffy, what do you think Druscilla meant?" Willow asked.

"I don't know. And that’s why I called the meeting. I want you guys to help me interrogate Ramone," Buffy informed them, "I think it's about time he started giving us answers and not all this garbage about how knowing the truth will destroy the future."

"He said that?" Giles asked.

"What he said doesn't matter," Buffy told them, staying on the current topic for once, "what matters is that both Spike and I deserve some answers."

"Spike?" Xander cried incredulously, gesturing wildly towards him. "Spike doesn't deserve any help from us, remember? He’s tried to kill us - several times I might add! He's failed every time, but still, trying ranks right up there with reasons to not care about Spike!"

"Xander," Buffy sighed. "Can we please go one day without you bringing up your intense dislike for Spike?"

"Yes," Cordy cried out. "I second that notion, Buffy," she said, her eyes drifting over to her boyfriend and narrowing into thin slits. "I have to hear it every second of every day, so getting a break from it would suit me just fine."

Spike smirked at the brunette's bluntness towards Xander. At least one member of the Scoobie gang seemed halfway sane.

"Now that that is all cleared up," Giles spoke up, "let's get back to more important things at hand. Spike?" He shifted his attention back to the vampire. "When was the last time you had a dream about Druscilla?"

Spike groaned in annoyance. "Slayer, I thought we were comin'ere to get answers. Not be harassed by your watcher."

"Spike, it is imperative that you tell us everything, like Buffy has."

"And why should I tell you lot anythin’?"

"For the sake of your child," Giles told him seriously.

Spike flinched slightly at Giles's remark. His child. He had to admit it did feel weird hearing someone say it for the first time. Never in a million years would he have pictured someone saying that to him, let alone it being the truth. It was though. And it being said out loud only embedded it that much deeper into his brain that he was going to be a father.

"I had a dream about 'er last night," Spike admitted reluctantly.

"Really?" Giles asked, bit surprised that Spike was cooperating. "Can you tell us what happened? What she said?"

"I don't know. She appeared, said a few things, then she left. 'S really all a blur." He spoke cautiously as six pairs of eyes remained riveted on him.

Just then Angel and Ramone came through the swinging doors, drawing all attention away from Spike. Angel paused mid-stride for a moment, drinking in the tension that loomed in the air. He noticed Buffy standing off to the side, her arms crossed over her chest, head hanging low. The others seemed preoccupied with Spike, with Giles standing almost directly in front of the vamp who had a pissed off look on his face.

"What's going on?" He asked, making his way over to Buffy. He placed a gentle hand on her shoulder, drawing her attention to him. "Did something happen?"
Buffy didn't answer him. Instead she shifted her attention to the man she had been waiting to question. She gently pushed Angel away and walked over to Ramone.

"Ramone."

"Buffy."

"I think now is the time for you to start talking," Buffy told him point blank. "And, I have an idea that you already know what I'm referring to."

"Deltoton." Ramone stated simply.

"Okay, that was so not what I was talking about," Buffy spoke up after a moment of confusion.

"No it wasn't…" Ramone agreed, side-stepping around Buffy to make his way further into the room. "You want me to tell you about the baby, right?"

"Yes."

"Then Deltoton is your answer."

"Deltoton," Giles repeated aloud, "I do believe that is a demon from the Old Ages."

"A demon?"

"Yes. There are many recorded incidents of them torturing their victims with hot irons. They would gouge their eyes out to ensure the last thing they ever saw in their existence was the horrible face of the thing killing them. Or in some cases the death of a loved one," Giles explained while removing his glasses to clean them. "Are you sure this relates to Buffy's situation?" Giles inquired towards Ramone, placing his glasses back on his nose.

"This is the answer to Buffy's problem?" Xander spoke up suddenly. "A demon with a sick fascination of hot irons."

Spike leapt down off the counter he had been sitting on and approached the Scoobie he loathed more then anything.

"Our baby is not a problem," He voiced through gritted teeth.

"Ooo," Xander moaned mockingly, "when did the Big Bad become all sentimental? Was it before or after your insane ex visited you with a plan to kill Buffy?"

"How did y..?"

"Can we please put aside your petty differences for at least two more hours?!" Giles barked. "Xander, just keep your mouth shut until I say so."

Xander's mouth fell open in shock. "Wha’!? Why are you taking Spike's side? He’s the evil one here. Vampire? Demon? Murderer?" Xander glanced over at Spike before adding, "Soulless. Ring any bells?”

"I am telling you to keep quite because it is your mouth that has caused the most disruptions today." Giles justified through gritted teeth.

A huge smirk appeared on Spike's face after hearing the Watcher's words. He couldn't think of a more beautiful sight then the look of the whelps face at that moment. Okay, maybe he could think of one. The one that happened to be standing a few feet away from him.

"Why don't you finish what you were going to tell us Ramone," Spike suggested after noting the impatient look on the Slayers face.

"Deltoton is known as a demon," Ramone clarified. "But, that particular Deltoton has nothing to do with your baby."

"I don't understand. How many Deltoton demons are there?"

"The Deltoton I am referring to is neither demon nor human. To be more precise the Deltoton I am speaking of existed before man, before demon, before any form of life existed on our humble planet."

"Oh, oh," Willow started to groan fitfully, raising her hand and waving it above her head.

Giles lifted his head to the ceiling and rolled his eyes. "Yes, Willow. What is it?"

"The universe," she said. "Deltoton exists in the universe."

Ramone graced Willow with a crooked smile. "That is exactly right."

The smile on Willow's face grew ten times bigger as she began to bounce happily in her seat. She looked over at Oz and giggled when he winked at her.

"That's my girl," Oz bragged, "the brains of the group."

"Do you know anything more about it?" Ramone asked quickly deflating Willows high.

"No." Willow simply answered before lowering her head.

Buffy cleared her throat loudly. "Can we please get on with this? I do still have to patrol tonight."

"What!?" Angel blurted out.

Buffy grumbled something under her breath before turning to address the vamp. "I. Am. Going. On. Patrol. Tonight," She spoke slowly so he could hear her clearly.

"No you're not."

"Excuse me?" Buffy stared at him incredulously.

Angel met her gaze for several long tension filled moments before making a visible attempt to calm down and explain his outburst. She had to know that tempting fate by patrolling was something she shouldn't be doing right now. "You shouldn't patrol in your condition."

Buffy shook her head, hoping maybe that she hadn't heard Angel clearly and that he wasn't telling her to not do her job as the Slayer.

"I’m sorry, did you just tell me not to do my job?"

"Buffy things are getting more and more dangerous for you. We still don't know for sure what’s going on with your baby. If it does have something to do with an apocalypse, then it might be best if you stay clear of demons for awhile."

"It’s my job."

"It could be your life."

Spike clenched his jaw in anger. "I don't think its your place to tell Buffy wha' she can and cannot do."

Angel glanced over at his Childe. "This doesn't concern you, Spike. I know you don't care about Buffy's safety so I'm not going to try and ask you to understand where I am coming from."

"Ugh, how many times do I have to say it," Buffy groaned in frustration. "This does concern Spike. Everything that happens from now on concerns him."

Spike smiled smugly, a sense of pride washing over him at Buffy's declaration.

Angel stepped closer to Buffy. "He doesn't care about you Buffy. You have to know that."

Buffy closed her eyes and inhaled softly. "I do, Angel. I do," she told him before opening her eyes again to look up at him. "But, he is a part of my life now."

"Who says he has to be?” Xander said from where he was sulking in his seat. He had been listening anxiously to the conversation at hand and trying desperately not to add his two cents.

"Argh!" Buffy groaned again, throwing her hands up in the air. "That’s it! I thought I could come here and get the support from my friends that I needed, but obviously that isn't how it’s going to go."

"What do you expect from us Buffy?" Xander spoke up again. "To welcome Spike with open arms just because he's the father of your child?"

"I don't need any welcome from you whelp…" Spike scoffed.

"I’m leaving to patrol," Buffy said, holding a finger up towards Angel when she noticed he was about to speak. "Spike is coming with me, so don't say anything about me putting myself in danger."

"Buffy-" Angel started to protest.

"Goodnight, everyone. I'll talk to you tomorrow."

Everyone watched silently as Buffy pushed her way through the swinging doors, Spike following closely behind. After they were both gone and a few moments of silence had passed, Angel looked over his shoulder at Giles.

"I'm following them."

Giles nodded his head. "Yes, I think that would be wise. I wouldn’t let them see you though…Buffy is emotional right now and I think it would only make things worse..."

Ramone gave a quick nod to Angel as the vampire passed him to leave. He then heard the Watcher clear his throat loudly and glanced in the man’s general direction.

"Ramone," Giles said, pulling his glasses off to be cleaned once again. "Why don't you finish telling us about this Deltoton..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Slayer, slow down," Spike called out, moving quickly to catch up to the petite blonde who was making her way through the cemetery with the greatest of ease. "'Aven't run into any baddies yet. So, what's the big hurry?"

"That's the problem," Buffy replied snidely, "I want to kill something." She pulled a stake from one of her many hiding places and positioned it in her hand pointy end out. "I need to kill something!" She added, spinning around and almost running into Spike who had finally caught up with her.

"Whoa there, luv," Spike cautioned, his eyes glued to the stake not three inches from his heart. "Wouldn't want to kill the man who gives you pleasure."

"God, Spike. Why do you have to be so perverse all the time?"

"I'm only sayin’…"

Buffy turned away from him again and began to walk deeper into the cemetery. She could hear Spike right beside her, his steps mimicking her own. She wanted to tell him to go away, to stay away from her for awhile. Everything was becoming so confusing and to have him constantly by her side made it hard for her to process it all. But she needed him there. She wanted him there, no matter how wrong it was. He was the only one who seemed to understand where she was coming from. How hard it was for her to except all that was happening. And though they might be on opposite ends of the spectrum, they found themselves in the same boat, with the same mixed emotions.

"God, why does everything have to be so confusing?" Buffy mumbled aloud, hoping to peak Spike's interest and get him to talk.

Spike furrowed his brows at her remark, but kept his steps right along side hers while he asked, "How so, luv?"

"I've known one thing my whole life, well almost my whole life. Maybe more my whole pre-teen life," Buffy began to stray before quickly getting back on track. "The thing I was always sure of was the way of life. Boy is born. Boy grows up. Boy meets girl. Boy and girl get married; have lots of little babies together. Then boy and girl die."

Spike stole a sideways glance at her, wondering to himself where exactly she was going with this.

"Until along comes this guy named Merrick," Buffy continued, pausing for a moment to remember her first watcher. "Not exactly the boy I wanted to have enter my life, but nonetheless there he was. You see, I knew meeting people would always change my life in some way, but I’d never imagined that my whole thought process would be royally screwed up."

"Um, pet," Spike interrupted, "not exactly sure where you’re goin' with this."

Buffy stopped abruptly, causing Spike to almost trip over his own feet as he came to a halt himself.

"My point is that ever since I found out I was the Slayer, things have been different. I accept things differently. I was content with the fact that my life was different from others. I wouldn't be that girl who meets boy and has children. No. I was going to be the girl who saved that girl so she could meet the boy and have children."

"Once again you're losin' me."

"And, then you and I…we...Willow's spell causes us to..."

"Shag like bunnies?" Spike supplied, his lip curling up at one end.

Buffy sighed roughly. "Which causes some kind of a miracle to happen-"

Spike lowered his head, his eyes falling to the ground briefly before looking back up at her. "You think our baby is a miracle?"

"Of course!" she cried out. "How can it not be a miracle when it involves a vampire and a Slayer?"

"Hmm…"

"But, that's what I thought. Now...now, I just think it’s another reason given to me to prove how un-normal my life is."

"I don't-" Spike began, but was quickly interrupted by Buffy.

"When I found out I was pregnant," Buffy explained, a dreamy smile forming on her face, "this feeling of contentment washed over me. I mean, it wasn't all roses and sunshine because I knew you were they father..."

"Gee, thanks"

"But just the fact that I was doing what woman are supposed to do, that I was growing this life to walk on this earth and maybe one day live that normal life I always -will always- dream of, made me the happiest I've ever felt."

"Hey now," Spike said lightly touching her face with his finger, "you do realize that you are still growin' that life inside you."

"Its not the same."

"How so?"

"Our baby wasn't produced from love or any other normal way that most babies are conceived from. Ours was brought about by The Powers that Be. Those big guys in the sky hoping to avert another world ending by giving it to me. A Slayer."

"Well…I don't know wha' to say to that. Except you are as normal as any girl I've ever come across, in the five minutes I talked t' them, and somethin' tells me this baby is going t'be normal to."

Buffy stifled a laugh, covering her mouth quickly in an attempt to restrain herself from bursting into the giggles.

Spike rolled his eyes at her as she continued to bite back her laughter. He had no idea what was so funny about what he’d just said. All he was trying to do was help her and now she was laughing at him? Once again it proved that becoming a poof was not his style and he should just stick to the big bad persona he carried so well. "What's so funny?"

"I’m sorry," Buffy apologized after finally calming herself. "It's just…you think this child is going to be normal?"

"Maybe."

"Even with you being a vampire?"

"Need I remind you o' the little problem I 'ave now that makes me a little less vampire…" Spike growled, grabbing hold of her hand and yanking it towards his chest.

Buffy's mouth fell open when she felt the softest beat against her palm. Her eyes were glued to her hand covering his chest where his dead heart was supposed to be. She had forgotten all about it. After the false alarm of her not being pregnant, it had completely slipped her mind.

"I may not be the normal Joe Schmoe you’re looking' for," Spike bit out through clinched teeth, "but don't you think I'm a little bit closer t' being that than Angel is?"

Buffy jerked her hand free at his harsh words. "Don't you dare compare yourself to Angel," she warned, glaring at him angrily, "there’s a world of difference between you two."

Spike smirked, catching his bottom lip between his teeth as he eyed her up and down. "Yeah. I'm the one between your legs, while he's off gettin' more familiar with his five friends," he replied arrogantly, raising his hand and waving his fingers in the air.

"God you're sick." Buffy said, her voice full of loathing. "Why can't you have a normal conversation without being so disgusting?"

"Cause I'm not normal." Spike answered and paused before adding, "Nor are you."

Buffy had her arm back ready to slap him, but was stopped by his powerful hands pinning them to her sides.

"Let me ask you a question," Spike whispered, pulling her closer to him so their lower bodies touched. "Wha'll happen after th' baby’s born?"

"What do you mean?" Buffy asked , refusing to respond to his movements.

"Will you be able t' give me up?"

"I think I can manage," Buffy replied confidently, "to keep what we have hidden until I get tired of you."

Spike jerked his head back, shocked by her answer. He stared at her, noting the glint of humor in her eyes. "What we 'ave?"

Buffy wiggled a little in his arms, creating just enough space for her hands to slip between their bodies.

"You know, I just realized something…" she said, her hands moving a lower as she spoke each word.

Spike shut his eyes, his mind going into overdrive as her hot hands traveled over his body. "Wha's that, luv?"

"I didn't need to kill anything like I thought."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Well, what do you need then?"

"You."