Chapter 30: Interruptions

Rated: Overall NC 17

Disclaimer: Refer to first chapter please. J

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Well, what do you need then?"

"You," Buffy answered as she slowly leaned forward, closing the distance between their lips.

"Well, well, well-- what have we here?"

Buffy pushed roughly against Spike’s chest, startled by the intruder’s voice. She closed her eyes and prayed silently that it wasn’t someone she knew. Or worse, someone that knew Angel.

Spike hissed angrily, wiping at his bottom lip with the back of his hand. He had accidentally bitten his lower lip when Buffy had shoved him away.

"Bloody bitch," he mumbled under his breath, glancing over at her then down at his hand and checking for any sign of blood.

"Spike," the unknown intruder spoke again. "Do you always speak so affectionately of your kills?"

Spike rolled his eyes heavenward. "She’s not my kill and who the-" he began before finally looking at who the unwelcome intruder was. "Oh, bloody hell," He moaned when he saw who it was.

Buffy cringed inwardly. If Spike wasn’t pleased with who he saw, then it sure as hell couldn’t be good for her. She managed to calm herself and slowly opened her eyes to see who it was that Spike seemed just so happy to see. Relief washed over her when all she saw were three other vampires standing there, one of them standing a few feet from Spike.

"Who are you?" Buffy asked, hoping to alleviate some of her confusion.

The vamp closest to Spike shifted his gaze momentarily away from the peroxide blonde to look at her. His yellow eyes slowly roamed up and down her body, taking in every inch of her as if storing it to memory. His lip curled up in a sneer as his attention once again turned back to Spike.

"Spike, what is a…" he stopped mid-sentence and lifted a finger to his lips. "Oh, what was that word you used once? Ah, yes ‘Big Bad’," he said, lifting his hands into the air and making a quotation gesture with his fingers. "Now, what is a big bad such as yourself doing making out with the Slayer?"

"What are you doing ‘ere?" Spike asked, deliberately avoiding his question.

"I think you know the answer to that question," the leader vamp replied, lowering his eyes to the ground and closing the distance between them a little more. "But, right now I don’t think you’re in a position to be the one asking questions."

Spike snorted at that. "I’m not in a position…You know tha’ the Slayer’s standing no more than two feet from you right now, an’ you think I’m the one that’s not in a position to be askin’ questions?"

"Hello?!" Buffy spoke, her voice sounding more than a little peeved that her earlier question had been ignored. "I think the only person who has the right to ask any questions is the girl with wooden stakes strategically placed all over her body!"

Her statement seemed to work as all attention promptly shifted towards her.

"Now, once again I ask, who are you?"

The as yet unnamed leader clamped a hand over his chest where his undead heart would be. "Buffy you wound me. Do you really not recognize me?" He mocked hurt as he moved away from Spike to stand closer to her.

Buffy crossed her arms over her chest and shot a sardonic smile his way. "You know I hate to break it to you guys. But, you all tend to look the same once the bumpies and fangs are out full force."

"Oh," he said before shaking his head and shifting back to his human guise. "Now do you recognize me."

Buffy gasped softly as she stared at the familiar face of her crush from her preteen years. "Jonathan," she uttered still in shock that he was standing right in front of her and that he was a vampire. Of course she already knew he was, from Spike telling her, but to see it face to face made it a reality and all the more shocking.

"Call me John," he told her.

"Wow," she whispered. "I can’t believe it’s you."

"Well it is," he assured her. "Undead and in the flesh."

"As beautiful as this little reunion is," Spike huffed, angry at how Buffy was acting towards Johnny Boy. "Buffy and I ‘ave to be goin’ now."

"You can go Spike," John spoke up, his gaze never leaving Buffy. "I think Buffy and I have a little catching up to do."

Spike stalked over to Buffy’s side and glared at John. "Buffy and I were in the middle of something."

Spike took a hold of Buffy’s arm and started to lead her away. Buffy, still in shock, refused to take her eyes off John as Spike continued to pull her away.

"Yes, you were," John agreed with a little chuckle. "The Slayer and a vampire - never thought I would live to see that."

Buffy jerked free of Spike and made her way back over to John. She felt Spike try to grab her arm again but yanked it away before stopping in front of John. There was no way she was going to walk away letting John and his minions believe they had interrupted something between her and Spike.

"Listen John, you’re wrong about what you think you saw," she tried to explain. "There was – is – nothing going on between Spike and I."

John smiled down at her. "I know what I saw Buffy," he told her, reaching up to touch the side of her neck. "What I see."

Buffy felt his fingers brush over the scar left by Spike. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, trying hard not to show him how much it effected her, having someone touch Spike’s mark. It almost felt like she was cheating on him, as strange as that was.

Buffy’s eyes shot open when she heard Spike growl. She saw Spike shove John away before placing himself in front of her.

"Why so angry, Spike?" John asked curiously. "I don’t sense a claim. And, according to her there’s nothing going on between you two."

"Don’t touch her," Spike warned between clenched teeth.

John ignored Spike’s threat, turning his attention back to Buffy. "So, how have you been Buffy?"

"Fine," she replied stepping around Spike so she could see John more clearly. "And yourself?"

"Living the immortal life to its fullest."

"That’s good."

"Although I do hate leaving my lush hotel to come to the slums of Sunnydale in search of my darlin’ sister," he informed her rather bluntly, his eyes drifting over to Spike and fixing him with a glare.

Spike sighed roughly before reaching into his back pocket and pulling out a folded up slip of paper. "You want to know where your sis is?" He asked thrusting the paper into John’s chest. "She’s holed up there. Go fetch her and leave."

John unfolded the piece of paper and read it. He glanced up at Spike and smiled. "Been holding onto this for a reason?"

"Actually I’ve been meaning to throw it away. Just haven’t gotten around to it yet, my mind has been focused on more important things."

"My sister isn’t important to you?" John asked, but smiled before Spike could answer. "You know she’ll be disappointed to hear that."

"I could care less what your-"

"Hey boss."

John looked over his shoulder to see what his minions wanted.

"There’s someone coming," the minion informed him, gesturing with his head towards some trees.

John nodded his head and once again regarded Buffy and Spike. "Well, I guess this is my cue to leave."

"Bout bloody time," Spike mumbled.

"It was nice seeing you again Buffy," John told her. "I hope to run into you again real soon."

"Sure," Buffy agreed then chuckled lightly before adding, "Hopefully I won’t have to kill you next time."

John smiled at her. "We’ll see."

Buffy watched as John disappeared into the darkness followed closely by his minions. During their exchange she had felt something weird happening within her. Almost like her body was trying to warn her somehow. She hadn’t felt the strength of it until he was gone. It still lingered but it was milder now, and she was able to think more clearly. She brushed the feeling off as it being her Slayer senses. After all he was a vampire and that was the only logical explanation for it.

"Wanker." She heard Spike growl beside her.

"He hasn’t changed one bit," Buffy mumbled to herself, but knew that Spike would more than likely hear her.

"Bloody annoying is what he is," Spike commented.

"Well," Buffy said on a sigh. "He’s gone now. And, I’m pretty sure we won’t be seeing him again."

"Ready to finish what we were starting?"

Buffy rolled her eyes when she saw Spike leering at her, his lower lip caught between his teeth. As tempting as it was to continue her earlier romp with Spike, she had lost all interest after seeing John again. Besides, she hadn’t gotten the chance to kill anything, which usually got her in the mood for some other form of rough and tumble.

"I’m going home," she told him and then started to walk away.

"Yeah," Spike agreed, catching up with her. "Might be a good idea to finish it there. Don’t really feel like another interruption."

"I didn’t say you were coming with me."

"But I am."

"No. You’re not."

"Yes. I am."

"No..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Angel watched, hidden behind an Oak tree as Spike and Buffy disappeared into the woods, their bickering turning to silence the further away they got. He had witnessed the exchange between John and Buffy earlier and did not like what he had seen. There was something about that guy that didn’t sit well with him and he wanted to find out why.

He contemplated on whether to follow after him, to see where he went off to. But, Spike and Buffy had prevented that from happening. He didn’t want Buffy to know he had been following her, so he stayed behind in the shadows until they started to head home and then followed them to make sure Buffy got home safely.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


John stretched his limbs as he walked into the secluded house hidden well within the cemetery. It had been easily acquired from an elderly groundskeeper, whose passing had been very much unexpected and all too painful. Of course his end had been near, so John had done him a considerable favor by ending the prolonged misery he was sure to suffer in his dying days.

John smiled proudly to himself as he made his way from the foyer in to the living area where the only piece of furniture that existed after ransacking the place was a single sofa chair. It was the one piece that hadn’t stunk of mothballs and Ben gray when they arrived, so it had been spared from destruction.

John continued his trek across the room towards the built in shelves along the north wall. His prized liquors were placed there when he hadn’t seen a wet bar in the house anywhere. He snatched the neck of the decanter that held one of his finest and popped it open. The amber liquid sloshed around the glass as he carelessly poured it from the bottle. He filled it to the brim, then lifted the glass into the air with his hand. It wasn’t until the glass touched his lips that he realized he was no longer alone.

"We need to work fast," he informed the shadow standing in the doorway. "There’s no claim, but the way he was acting…" the words died on his lips as his mind raced with images of days not yet born. "It won’t be long before he makes one."

He listened as the person moved deeper into the room, light steps sounding loudly as they echoed off the walls.

"I will kill him," he confessed, once again raising the glass to his lips and taking a sip. "One of them has to die. If our plan fails...it will be him."

He heard the person whimper and decided to quickly change the subject.

"But, on a lighter note," he spoke loudly. "When do you plan on letting Spike know of your return?"

"He knows already…" the person answered, emerging from the dark into the moonlight that draped the room.

John’s gaze drifted over the fragile woman standing before him. "How so?"

"Miss Edith."