"Change Series"
Rated: NC17

Chapter 32: "Even Angels Fall"

His lungs felt like they were on fire and his heart felt like someone was squeezing it in their fist, pumping all the blood out of it with each squeeze.

Spike bolted upright in bed, gasping as he choked on the air that was filling his lungs. He clutched at his chest and felt the rise and fall of it as he breathed for the first time since he had become undead. Just as quickly as the breathing had started, it stopped. Still, every five seconds he could feel his heart thump against the palm of his hand where it lay on his chest.

He grunted out an amused laugh once his brain was able to process everything that was going on around him.

"Now I can breath," he scoffed out loud. "What next? Will I be able to stand in sunlight once again?" He asked no one in particular.

He glanced over at the sleeping figure lying next to him in bed and wondered if killing her right now would end the hell he was going through. It was her fault after all. Her and her gang of Scooby friends. Wouldn't be in this mess if they had kept their noses in their own business.

Deciding against that course of action he flung the covers off his naked body and got out of bed. He felt around in the darkness for his clothes and jerkily put them back on. Once fully dressed he took one last look at Buffy then crawled out her window into the open night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Angel sat atop one of the many tombstones lining the cemetery. He had come here after leaving Buffy's house and hadn't moved even when the rain had cleared up and the dawn was threatening to peak over the horizon. It was still a couple hours till sunrise anyway, but he could feel it approaching and knew he should be moving inside soon.

He ran a hand through his hair which was still wet from walking through the downpour earlier. His clothes were soaked to the bone and hung off him like a second skin. None of this mattered to him though. For some reason he couldn't feel anything right now.

"Bloody hell," a voice groaned in the distance, Angel had no trouble telling who it belonged to.

Angel jumped off the tombstone and turned in the direction he knew Spike was coming from. No more than two minutes later his bleached, pain in the ass grandchilde appeared out of the trees, stumbling as he walked. Before he could stop it a growl sounded from his throat.

Spike stopped dead in his tracks. He did a quick scan of the area in front of him before his eyes landed on his grand sire. He tried to smirk but the sudden pain in his chest had him cursing again.

"What's wrong with you?" Angel asked, stepping closer to Spike in concern, despite the overwhelming urge to want to slam him into the ground and shove a stake through his heart.

"I'm fine," Spike gritted out through clenched teeth. "Just having a little difficulty remembering how to breathe."

Angel was thrown back by his statement. "When did this start happening?"

"Not but thirty bleeding minutes ago," Spike answered, taking a few shallow breaths between each word. "There," he sighed once the pain had gone away and he no longer had to breathe. "Comes and goes it does. Don't know what the bloody hell is going on, but it's becoming a big pain in the arse."

"Have you told Buffy about this?" Angel asked, instantly regretting it when he realized he had just opened the conversation to include Buffy. "Never mind."

Spike eyed him curiously. Something was going on in his Grande poppy's head and he wanted to know exactly what it was. Anything he could find to use against Angel he was more then willing to waste his time looking for.

"Didn't have a chance to tell Buffy," Spike replied, circling Angel as he did so. "She was asleep when I left."

Angel could feel his insides boiling, his body itching to attack Spike when he was so close to him.

Spike saw Angels face twist up in fury, his hands twitching at his sides. Ah, there was that bone he wanted to hit. So, it apparently had something to do with Buffy.

"She was asleep."

Spike bit his lower lip and smiled. "Out like a light. Something must've worn the pretty little thing out."

"Is that right?"

"Come to think of it," Spike continued. "We did have a rough and tumble earlier this evening. Had her pinned beneath me a few times. She did manage to pin me a few times, gave as good as she got I guess you could say."

Angel snapped. He flew at Spike and soon there was a blend of leather flying through the air as the two men started to fight each other. Angel somehow managed to pin Spike against a tree, his arm pressed against his neck holding him there.

"So you were there," Spike choked out through a stifled laugh. "I knew I sensed you. Thought maybe it was Buffy thinking about you while I was screwing…," Angel cut off his sentence by pressing his arm a little more into his throat. "What do you think of your precious Slayer now?"

"You don't love her," Angel growled.

"No, I don't," Spike agreed, lifting his leg to kick Angel square in the chest, sending him flying back onto the ground. Spike rubbed his hand over the spot on his neck Angel's hand once occupied. "Never will either."

Angel had just regained his thoughts and was about to stand up when he felt a sharp kick to his ribs. Next thing he knew his head was being forced into the ground by the bottom of Spike's shoe.

"Oh, how the mighty have fallen," Spike sneered, digging his heel a little deeper into Angel's cheek. "Angelus the demon who caused chaos throughout Europe in the 18th Century, who left tears and trails of blood in his wake, is now a weak pathetic thing shedding tears of his own over a Slayer."

Spike pulled open his leather jacket and dug around the inside pockets in search of his cigarettes. He pulled one out and lit it. He inhaled sharply off the end, filling his lungs with the calming nicotine they craved.

"You know," Spike began again, taking another quick drag off his cigarette. "I never thought I would live to see the day that Angelus, my grand sire, was nothing more than dirt under my shoe." He emphasized his point by pressing his weight down even more on Angel's head.

Spike bent t his knees a little and leaned over so he was closer to Angel. "I think I know why you're so weak now," He spoke slowly, methodically. "Why the Slayer makes you the way you are. The first time I had her, didn't recall a bloody thing. The second time was just about getting laid," he chuckled softly before continuing. "I would've fucked anything that was willing at that point in time. But the third, the third time, that's when it changed for me.

"I don't know what did it though. Maybe it's how her legs feel when their wrapped around my body. Or, it could be those little sharp intakes of air that she makes just before she's about to come. It could be anything." He leaned in a little closer. "How does it feel knowing that your Buffy screams my name at night? That it's me whom she wants inside of her. That it's my child she's carrying, not yours. That the little fantasy you have in your head with her is just that. A fantasy."

The cigarette in Spike's hand went sailing through the air as his whole body was propelled backwards. Spike didn't even know what hit him until he saw Angel standing over him, the left side of his face coated in mud and grass blades. Spike started laughing. His whole body shook as he looked up at Angel who was seething in anger, his fists clenching and unclenching at his sides.

"Got your knickers in a twist, did I?" Spike asked, moving to get up. He was stopped, however, by a kick to the head. He fell back onto his back, his hand reaching up to touch his nose. "Bloody fuck I think you broke my nose." He looked up at Angel. "Can't stand….?"

Spike's question went unasked when he saw the wooden stake held tightly in Angel's grip. His eyes widened in horror as Angel sent it straight towards his heart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"NO!!!"

The blood chortling scream pierced the silent air of the newly acquired groundskeeper's house hidden deep in the woods of the cemetery. Several vampires, who had felt a chill run down their spines, watched as the raven haired owner of the scream passed them and burst through the front door, disappearing into the night.


TBC...............