“Tell me why I agreed to this again?” Buffy asked Spike again as they made their way to Faith’s home. “I not exactly the type of girl you take home to meet mom.”

He couldn’t believe it but Buffy seemed genuinely nervous about this and he didn’t think anything would make ever make her doubt herself. It was endearing as hell but he didn’t think she would care to hear that. Whatever had happened to her last night had shaken her to the core and this new more human Buffy was going to take a bit of getting used to, he decided wrapping a friendly arm around her shoulders. “Tell you what pet, give Joyce a chance and if you can’t take it then we’ll use the standard slayer escape line.”

“And that is what again?”

“Just say we gotta go patrol, it works every time.”

“Good to know but I am not exactly scared to meet this woman, it’s just that I don’t know what she has heard about me. For all I know the others have glossed over the more unsavory aspects of my character and this woman has no idea about who she has really invited to dinner. I don’t want to make a scene but I am not going to pretend that I am some good girl who says ’oh dear’ instead of damn.” Which was why she was wearing her normal clothes, a short denim skirt frayed at the edges and a camisole with a riot of embroidered crimson roses cradling her breasts. While the rest of the top was an inky black that spilled down her stomach to rest at the top of her waist band.

It would have been considered a typical girl’s night outfit but she had kicked it up to a full blown sexual innuendo by pairing the outfit with four inch stilettos with black straps laced across her skin all the way up to an inch below her kneecap. Everything about her, from her siren red lipstick to the fall away knot she had pulled her hair into screamed, fuck me fast and don’t bother giving me your number, because I won’t call. She looked like the kind of woman all mothers warned their innocent daughters about associating with and she wouldn’t be surprised if Joyce took one look at her and slammed the door in her face.

“She knows the truth about me and even though she once hit me in the head with a sodden axe, she still is nice to me when I come around.”

She looked at his blood red shirt vivid against his milk pale skin and the long firm lines of his legs encased in skin tight black denim and she wondered if Joyce was just being polite or if she didn’t mind spending some time with a devastatingly attractive man with a penchant for leather. She didn’t think Joyce would shove him against the counters and take advantage of that fact but she doubted any woman could resist spending a little time with a delectable piece of eye candy. She had been paid to hang on an arm or two in her day and she had to admit that tonight Spike looked good enough to eat in a single bite.

He noticed the corners of her lips tilt up slightly, in a small and unmistakably feminine smile. “Care to share that thought pet?”

Since tonight seemed to be full of unexpected surprises, she decided to roll the dice and see what happened. “I was just wondering if this friendship came with benefits or if I would have to take the others up on their offer to go to the Bronze after dinner. Now that the Council‘s going to be paying me, I can give up hookin’ but that doesn‘t mean I am just going to stop having sex.”

On one hand he was relieved that she was going to give to retire but that didn‘t mean he wanted her to do it for free either. Stopping in his tracks, he grabbed her arm and whirled her around, pulling her tightly against his chest. “Do you think that anyone could give it to you as good as me slayer?”

Until she had said the words aloud she had never consciously admitted that she was done selling herself. She was trapped into this slayer thing but while Spike had been asleep she had thought about the possible benefits. Becoming a whore hadn‘t been a plan more like a last resort and she had to admit that once she had calmed down she had felt relieved knowing that part of her life was over. But even before the first time she had sold herself she had embraced her sexuality.

At first it had been a way to prove that she could take back a part of herself that her foster father had stolen and also as a way to replace the memories of that year of her life. It had taken seven years for her to let another guy talk her onto her back and with each new partner she had taken the memories faded a bit more. During that time of sexual awakening, she had learned that sex was an amazing release, that when done right, your body and mind were to overloaded to dwell on anything but the languor working it‘s way through your limbs. She couldn’t lie and say that she had never had a great time with one of her johns, because not all of them had been balding and overweight men in their late forties but she wouldn’t say she would miss not having much say in her partners. When she worked, everyone got a ride if their money was good and they didn’t try to beat the shit out of her but now she could chose her partners simply because she was attracted to them.

And being this close against Spike’s body, knowing exactly what was underneath the soft fabric was enough to tell her that she was very attracted. But she didn’t want to let him think that they would ever be more than friends. The job may be in her past but that didn’t mean she was looking for a steady relationship. “You were good Spike, it’s part of the reason I asked but if we do sleep together again it will only be as friends looking for a good time. No strings.”

“If I sleep with you Winters no one else comes to your bed.” He told her firmly. He had already been through this with Dru and he wasn’t about to share the only thing he wanted again, not even for Buffy. “But I tell you what pet, we’ll go to the club after dinner. Dance yourself silly with anything that catches your fancy but before you can make your choice I get you alone for one dance. If I don’t make you burn then we’re only friends,” He leaned his face close enough to hers to whisper his next words less than a breath away from her lips. “But if I make you moan and smolder then you take me and me alone as your lover and all the strings that come with it. But I promise that you will be satisfied in every way.”

“Do you really think you’re that good?” She asked even though she was doing everything humanly possibly to stop herself from closing the distance between their parted lips.

“You afraid to find out or are you willing to take a gamble? Either way we‘re still going to be friends no matter how the dance plays out in the end.”

“You’re on Spike, but I should warn you I’m a hard woman to satisfy. ” She reached out to trace her finger across his lips and then trailed it across the tops of her breasts. She kept her eyes on his the entire time. She had been the one to start this conversation off but since she was the one taking all the risks, she decided to up the stakes. “But if you win I’ll let you lay your claim on me anyway you want but if you lose then you won’t ever be invited back into my bed again. It’s all or nothing Spike, so are you in or out?”