She and the others talked for about another hour before Spike realizing that she had had enough, picked her up and carried her out of the door without so much as a goodbye. She had thought about protesting but being pressed up against his hard firm chest was hardly something to bitch about. Instead she closed her eyes and though about all the ways they could re-establish their connection with one another and each scenario ended with them being naked or sweaty or exhausted but mostly all three at the same time. Unfortunately for her, she skipped straight past the fun naked part and went straight to the exhausted. It had been a long day after all and being gently rocked as they made their way home was enough to send her into a deep sleep.

Now she was sweaty, not from passion but because of the nightmare that had gripped her mind and danced it’s way across her skin. Sitting up she was surprised to see that she was back in her motel room but she wasn’t surprised to feel Spike’s deliciously cool body pressed up against hers. “Everythin’ ok pet.” He murmured still mostly asleep.

“It was just a nightmare,” she said snuggling down beside him, wrapping her body around his, like ivy on a vine.

Concerned he forced his eyes open and brushed her hair back off of her face. “Not surprising, considering that you are now connected to a bunch of vampires.”

“Yeah,” she said, having no desire to tell him this particular nightmare had visited her, way before she had become a vampire. “Why are we here, I thought I was moving in with you?” She asked hoping to keep him from asking anymore questions about her dreams. The real lives of thousands of vampires was nothing compared to her nightmares.

“The crypt is fine for me but it is missing a few amenities that you might miss.”

“Such as,” She asked propping herself up on one elbow so she could look at his face.

“Such as a shower. I’ve got power, but not running water. I‘ve got a place to go but I don‘t think you’d fancy a thirty minute hike through the sewers for a shower, only to have to walk back again.”

“I’m sunlight tolerant remember, but you still have a good point.” Buffy said looking around the cheap motel room. “I’d never thought I’d say this but I kind of wish the Watcher would show up, cuz that would mean I was getting paid and we could move. Hey do you think I should ask for a raise?”

Instead of replying, he guided her hand down between their bodies. He hadn’t wanted to disturb her by undressing her before laying her under the covers but he never wore anything when he slept...for this very reason. “Is that what you had in mind luv?”

She had just wrapped her fingers around his rigid cock, when there was a loud knock at the door. Thinking that whoever was there, would get the idea and leave, she continued stroking him.

“Miss Winters, I know it is late but it is imperative that I speak with you.” Came a deep British voice coated with more than a hint of impatience.

“Be careful what you wish for, eh luv?” Spike said pulling away to grab his clothes.

“I promise to only use this power for good,” She riffed, getting up to cross over to the door. “Or the very naughty,” she promised with a wicked grin before opening up the door to get her first look at her Watcher.

She had been expecting someone like Giles and this man was like his sexier, edgier and much younger brother and to make matters worse…he was one of her past clients. “Small world.”

“It is indeed,” Wes said almost as surprised as she was. “You’re my slayer?”

“You’re my Watcher?” Buffy shot back placing her hand on her hip.
“My father assured me that was the right position for me.” He said giving her a dark smile, reaching up to unloosen his tie. “Remind me to send him a nice decanter of twenty-year old scotch.”

“Some things never change,” Buffy said knowing all about Roger Wyndham-Pryce’s domineering nature but she opened the door to reveal a now fully dressed Spike. “And some do.”

“Not a client I take it?” Wes asked, unable to completely mask the disappointment in his voice.

“Nope and he’s not even human but then again neither am I.” Buffy said stepping back to let him inside.

“Being called as The slayer doesn’t make you any less human.” Wes informed her, sending a cocky nod at the man glaring at him from across the room.

“Maybe not but being a vampire sure as hell does.” Buffy said walking over to make herself comfortable on the bed. “Take a seat and let me bring you up to speed.”

While she talked Wes could see all the subtle changes in her but he knew that not even the extraordinary changes that had occurred in her life could change her entirely. They were kindred spirits in a way, both determined to swim against the current and even though she was amazingly skilled in the bedroom he had never felt anything more for her than friendship. Which was why he wasn’t overly upset about all the things she was telling him or the bleached blonde sending dark glares his way.

They had met, two years ago when he had been on a hunt in LA. He had been working freelance then, desperate to break away from the Watcher’s council and his father’s iron rule. He had completed the job and with his pockets lined with his extortionate fee he had planned on taking in a little of the nightlife before heading onto the next job. His idea of nightlife was roughly composed of strip clubs and bars and he had found himself in a little hole in the wall club, aptly named ‘Pandora’s Boxxx’. After five minutes he had not been impressed and had just about to leave when Buffy had stepped onto the 4x4 area that served as the stage. She had been calling herself Candy then and after watching her writhe on the stage for three minutes he knew she was too sweet to resist. Before the song had ended, he had slipped the manager a hundred dollar bill hoping to secure her for a lap dance and the man had been so grateful, he had confessed that the same amount would buy her company for a couple of hours in a much more private setting.

Since he wasn’t in the habit of paying for sex, he had decided to try his charm when she had taken him into the private area for their dance. It hadn’t worked and when she was sliding across his cock, she had made it perfectly clear that money would be the only way to get the whole show. After spending more years than he cared to recall being nothing more than a milksop crushed beneath his father’s heel he had instantly respected her attitude and bought her services for the entire night and most of the next morning. As a lover she had been insatiable and giving and to his surprise she was also as talented when it came to listening to his problems.

During that year he found himself taking more and more jobs in LA and every time he was in town he always found her. After a while they did more talking than fucking and an easy and inconstant friendship had developed between then. Atleast until he offered to help her off of the streets and then she had just simply disappeared. He had tried to find her, but all he had was the name Candy and that was a fairly common alias in her profession. After awhile he had given up knowing that since she had his number, she would call if she needed him.

Instead of hearing from her, he had gotten a call from his father asking him to return to the Council. He had accepted because even though he didn’t know her real name, he was certain the stories she had told about her life was the truth. After hearing about all of the things she had been forced to go through alone, it had rekindled his desire to help others. More often than not, the Council sent him on the jobs to unseemly for their more priggish employees. So since they had last met, he had spent a lot of time dealing with the mystical and often seedy underbelly of this dimension. But despite all of the changes to his own character he had kept his brain filled with the books he had always enjoyed reading. His slacks and blazers were more urbane than classic but at his heart, he was just another bookworm who preferred thoughtful study to smoky pool halls and clubs full of scantily clad women. The job with the Council had encompassed all of interests.

When the call had come about the new Slayer, Wes had instantly expected it to go to one of the pompous, staid and arrogant clones of his father that made up 99.9 percent of the staff. To his surprise the Council had looked at the impure remaining one-percent and since that was just him, he was offered the position of dealing with the unsavory new slayer Buffy Winters. “I should have known it was you.”

“What?” Buffy asked wondering if Wes had heard a single thing she had said.

“Travers called you a hell-cat and while he was giving me a brief rundown of your life he had to stop twice to calm his temper. You’re the only person I‘ve ever seen get under Travers skin and that alone should have been enough to tip me off. If a single woman alive or in your case dead, could make him hot under the collar, I should have known it would be you, Candy.”

“Her name is Buffy, mate.” Spike told him coldly.

“I know,” Wes told him smugly, pulling off his glasses. “But you have to admit the name Candy suits her…mate.”