“Wes play nice.” Buffy warned him, unable to be angry since it had been such a long time she had last seen him. “He’s picks at everyone Spike, it’s just his thing.”

“Quite right luv,” Wes said with a wink, hoping to set the brash fellow off. “It’s nothing personal, I’m just an ass by nature.”

“It must be because you the son of a complete bastard.” Buffy said biting back a snicker at the tight set of Spike’s jaw. If he didn’t let up, he was going to chip a tooth.

“It just one thing we have in common,” Wes told her, with a roguish smile. “Well that and the fact that we both like it when I lick your…”

Before he could finish that sentence, Spike had pounced. Since he had been waiting for that to happen, Wes already had the stake resting in his palm, concealed by his jacket sleeve. Before Spike had even landed the first punch he had it pressed against his heart. “I was wondering how much longer you would hold back.”

“He’s testing you Spike but mostly it’s just because he’s a jerk.” Buffy said getting up to stand between the two men. “But Spike…umm…shouldn’t your chip have gone… zzzzz?”

Since it hadn’t, that was enough to tame his temper…somewhat. He thought about it for a moment and deciding that that bastard had it coming, he punched him square in the face. Nothing happened…but since it had been so much fun he decided to do it again.

Reading his face more than his mind, Buffy reached up and caught his fist, scant inches away from Wes’s face. “Are you a demon by any chance Wes?”

“Not that I know of, why?” Wes asked, rubbing his already aching jaw.

Quickly Buffy explained about the chip and waited for her Watcher to lay down his opinion.

“Perhaps the bleach he uses has seeped into his brain?” Wes said, sounding as innocent as an alter boy.

“Hey I like his hair and It’s way better than that crispy over-styled mop you call hair.” Buffy said, falling back in the rhythm of being in Wes’s presence. Since now seemed as good as time as any, she tried to link her mind with Spike’s. “Can you hear me?”

He looked at her and nodded, almost imperceptibly.

“The trick to dealing with Wes is to dish back and not take it personally. He’s alright when it comes to the fighting but he could teach Angelus lessons when it comes to word play. Beat him at his own game and then he will respect you enough to lay off.” She explained mentally.

“And I want to do that because?” Spike asked her silently.

“Because he’s not a bad guy and secondly he is our link to the Council. He can make things hard for us, so it pays to keep him as our friend.”

“Just how friendly are you planning on being, luv?” Spike thought, arching his eyebrow.

Instead of answering, she pinched his arm and looked at Wes expectantly. “Please tell my boyfriend that you aren’t in love with me.”

“Maybe I am.” Wes said back, just to see Spike seethe.

“Wesley.” Buffy said coldly, putting a world of warning in that single word.

“Oh all right, I am not nor have I ever been in love with Buffy.” Wes relented seconds before being himself again. “I’ve shagged her six ways from Sunday on numerous occasions but since I paid for the privilege, I wanted to get my money’s worth. But that is just because I am practical.”

“Funny thing mate, I’ve never had to pay.” Spike said remembering Buffy’s words. “I guess she must like me better.”

“Ohhh, I like him.” Wes said looking at Spike like he was wondering how he might taste.

“I’m not sharing Wes.” Buffy warned him coldly. “Mine.”

“Well if you ever want a third, give me a ring.” Wes said casting another apprising look down Spike’s body and then Buffy‘s. “God aren’t you two such a tasty pair.”

“You’re gay?” Spike asked unable to believe that the Watcher’s Council had such a liberal hiring policy. Up till two seconds ago he was certain that Wes had a thing for Buffy but he had seen the heat in his eyes when he had looked at him and now he wasn’t certain of anything. He had thought Faith had some downright puzzling friends but Buffy’s only one, had them all beat hands down.

“In the right circumstances, but mostly I just take whatever tickles my fancy or catches my cock’s attention.” Wes said good naturedly. “Why else do you think I provoked you so? Like Buffy said, I was taking you for a test drive.”

“That is not what I said Wes, but I did tell you to play nice. Spike’s not used to you yet and you have to admit you take a lot of getting used to.” Buffy told him with a smile, not sure if Spike was offended or just completely stunned by Wes’s brash proposal.

“Just tell me how nice you want me to be and he can get used to me all he wants.” Wes shot back, flicking his tongue across his bottom lip. He was attracted to Spike, almost as much as he was attracted to Buffy and the idea of having both of their tight bodies wrapped around him was too tempting to resist.

Since Spike seemed completely incapable of speech, Buffy tried to steer the conversation back on track. “You’re a Watcher…”

“I don’t mind watching anything the two of you want me to see.” Wes said refusing to be distracted until he had some sort of answer.
“No watching, no sharing, no anything.” Buffy said firmly, poking her finger into Wes’s chest for effect.

“Very well then,” Wes said releasing a deep sigh. “Then I suggest we try to discover if Spike’s chip has been disabled in some way or if as you suggested I am less than human. Which considering who my father is, that wouldn’t be the biggest shock of my life. So I recommend we meet with Rupert Giles and his slayer and see if they are willing to assist us with the research until my own library arrives.”

“Oh that will be fun,” Buffy said rolling her eyes.

“From what Quentin told me, I assumed that you all were working together quite amicably. Did they not accept your new status?”

“I’m not the problem, you are.” Buffy told him like it was the most obvious thing in the world. “They are small town people and big city, freaky/kinky Watcher’s are not part of the landscape. Poor Giles would die of shock and even though a pair of lesbians are accepted into their group, your style is a bit more flamboyant than I think they can handle. So please, just pretend that you are the nice, normal, boring Watcher, they are expecting.”

“As you wish but it is just after 8 am and since we have hours until the sun goes down, you two could help me exhaust my less acceptable traits.”

“Sorry but I am a vampire that is sunlight friendly and knowing you, you have a big van parked out there loaded full of fun demon killing necessities that you always tried to make me believe we’re for torturing human’s in your less than reputable line of work as an enforcer. A van that would be perfect for keeping MY boyfriend from being burned to a crisp.”

“Why didn’t you ever tell me that you were a slayer, even if you didn‘t know what your power was called?” Wes asked getting serious. Ever since he had saw her, he had wanted to ask and since she had more or less brought it up, he couldn’t think of a better time.

“Why didn’t you tell me you were a rogue demon hunter?”

“I didn’t think you would believe me.” Wes admitted with a shrug. “I just assumed that you would think it was nothing more than a clever ploy to get into your oh-so-tight pants.”

“Same here, except for the whole pants part.” Buffy told him with a grin. “But if you had asked, I would have atleast told you the truth but I can understand why you didn’t tell me.”

“Of course you do Peaches, you’re entirely to good of a person to do otherwise. And from what I have seen so far, that atleast has remained unchanged.” When she stepped forward and gave him an easy hug, he enjoyed it in the manner it was intended…an act of friendship. But since he was forcing himself not to trail his hands down to cup her ass, he had to make due with a bit of vocal teasing. “That and your remarkable taste in men. Is he has hot naked as he is with his clothes on, because one can never really tell without further examination.”

Since having an old face from LA made it feel like her worlds were merging into one real home, she leaned into his ear to whisper nearly silently, knowing exactly how good vampire hearing was. “I’ve missed you Wes…and he looks even better naked.”

While Wes struggled to visualize that gem of information Buffy walked over to the phone to arrange for a Scooby meeting.