“Scoobies meet my Watcher Wesley Wyndam-Pryce, Wesley these are the Scoobies.” Buffy said handling the introductions. Buffy waited until they had all offered their names and exchanged pleasantries but not sure if Wes could play normal for an indefinite amount of time, she tried to speed things along. “We think Spike’s chip is broken.”

Not needing to ask how that had happened, Faith walked over to stand beside Spike. “Hit me and let see what happens.”

Obliging her, he threw a punch at her midsection and nothing happened. Confused he turned towards the kitchen where Riley was busy getting drinks. “Does the chip have a sodden expiration date?”

“Not that I know of but if anyone knew, it would have been Professor Walsh.” Riley said sadly, still in mourning for the woman he still tried to believe that she had been.

“Or Adam.” Buffy said bringing all the eyes in the room onto her. “He has access to the whole Initiative mainframe and sooner or later we are going to kill him right…so what’s the harm in asking a few questions first?”

“Why not just send Spike in and have him ask his old friend?” Xander muttered under his breath.

Thanks to her vampire hearing Buffy had heard every word. “Since we have no idea if this is just a glitch or the chip has outlived it’s usefulness we can’t send Spike back to him, for any reason. If Adam finds out the chip is broken, he’s gonna know that Spike betrayed him and he would be alone in there. Since you all haven’t been able to take him out, he wouldn’t have a chance.”

“On the ride over here Buffy and Spike explained the situation you are in and I might know a spell that might be of use.” Wesley said, placing his hands behind his back as he addressed them, doing his level best to appear completely normal.

“What did you have in mind Mr. Wyndham-Pryce?” Giles asked archly, surprised at the gall of the young man. He had been in town less than a day and he already believed he had all the answers. That kind of supreme arrogance was so typical of the Council, Giles thought bitterly.

“You all may call me Wesley, there is no need for formality since we are all going to be working together.” Wes said giving them a slight nod. “I was thinking that the Ritual of Enjoining would be the best way to deal with this creature that seems to be all but indestructible.”

“And you just mentioning this now because?” Buffy asked him snidely, never being one for surprises.

“Now Buffy, I understand you might be upset but I felt it would be better to wait until we we’re all assembled. We are all doing what we must to fit in and work together amicably and your temper and remarks are not helping.” Wes warned her, bored already at the charade she had convinced him to participate in, so he was anxious for any excuse to end it. He had to admit that her observation about their characters had been spot on and he was certain of that, even though he had known them for less than five minutes. They were all so wholesome that they should be the poster children for clean and moral living. On the surface it was easy to believe that they had no way to relate to someone like himself but since they had obviously embraced Buffy, who was as bent as he was, he had no doubt that they would adjust to him as well.

“Sorry Wes, please continue.” Buffy said, refusing to give him a reason to be himself. It nicked her pride somewhat but their group dynamic was very important to them and since she had already been a nasty shock, she was willing to bend a little.

Wes was pleased at the others reaction to her apology but since she had more or less told him to play along, he would abide by her wishes…for now. “It takes the abilities of several individuals and bestows them onto a single person for a short while. From what Buffy has told me about you, we have a rather talented group of individuals to select from, not to mention two slayers. It should be enough to defeat Adam.”

“No.” Buffy told him coldly before anyone else could respond.

“What?” Wes asked rapidly losing his patience.

“I’m not saying no to the plan entirely, just my part in it. I’ve already proved to be a wild card when it comes to things like this and I’m not about to accidentally turn Faith into a demon.” Buffy told him walking over to stand in front of him.

“Then we will perform the spell on you, making her safe from any lingering side effects.” Wes told her archly, unraveling his act more and more with each passing second.

“This isn’t my fight, it’s theirs. They’ve lost people to Adam and they have earned the right to a little justice. The others may just look like a bunch of kids to you but they are stronger than you give them credit for. They can do this with out me.”

“Now you’re just being stupid. It is a fight Buffy, not a vendetta and you’ll do as I tell you!” Wes shot back crossly.

“That may have worked before pal but I’m not your whore anymore, so I’m not about to follow your orders.” Buffy told him, forgetting that she didn’t want the others to know about her and Wes’s past dealings.

“Actually you’re still getting paid and since I represent your employer you’ll bloody well do what I say. Face it Buffy, you’re still Candy getting paid to dance and this battle is just a different stage.”

She slapped him hard, across the face, but as angry as she was she had been careful about how much strength she had put behind the blow. She had no intention of doing the same with her words, even though she knew they would hurt more. “What about you Wes? For as long as I have known you, you’ve sworn to never give into your father again. You said you would live you’re life anyway you damn well pleased and now a few years later you’re right back on the path he sat you on. I lived my life the way I did for the money it would bring in. While you have lived you life because you’re afraid to stand up to him for any period of time.”

He grabbed her by the front of her shirt and pulled her roughly into his arms, placing a hard kiss on her mouth. Satisfied that he had made his point, he shoved her away. “God you’re intoxicating when you’re pissed off. You are never more beautiful then when your are angry and do you know why? It’s because all of the misery in your life has filled you with an untamed, unquenchable fire to fight back, to strike out. This girl, this slayer doesn’t have that and if you want to kill the un-killable you need that fire screaming inside you to conquer, to consume, until you alone are standing. That’s why the power chose you and like it or not, fair or not you have to be the one to do this.”

“You fight dirty,” Buffy said understanding what he was trying to tell her.

“You know you love it, beautiful.” He said sending a roguish wink in Spike’s direction. “So are you going to whine on about what is right and what is proper or are you going to shut your yap and kick some ass?”

“What do you think, you arrogant bastard?”

“I think we now have a plan.” He said wrapping a friendly arm around her shoulders, unconsciously licking his lips to gather the last traces of her taste lingering there.

Spike noticed and he sent him a cold glare. “Careful there mate, she’s not the only one in this room that’s libel to bite you in the ass.”

“Anytime you want a taste of any part of me, you just say so. It’ll hurt like hell but what’s the fun of a little pleasure if there isn’t any pain?” Wes told him, sending him a knowing smile. Spike was violence in motion and that was just one of the reasons he was attracted to him. He had no doubt that the feisty vampire that had captured Buffy, understood how to not only ride the thin line between pleasure and pain but also how to share it. But since they had both made it obvious that they weren’t interested in sharing it with him, he figured he might as well take what pleasure he could by teasing them to distraction.