***You might be wondering why the Scoobies are so calm about the chip no longer working. Well that is because they have seen how much Spike loves her and they know that chip or no chip he would be the kind of man that she would want him to be. :) ***

“Ummm…Wesley is a little weird.” Faith told Buffy while the others worked out the details of the spell.

“That’s putting it mildly, he’s a lot weird.” Buffy shot back.

“I get that but why didn’t you just say that right away, I mean why did you have him act normal?”

“What makes you think he was acting or that I asked him to do it?”

Since it was obvious Buffy wasn’t going to cooperate, Faith looked over her shoulder at Wesley. “Hey why were you acting like Giles the second, when you first got here?”

“Buffy told me not to scare the natives.” Wes admitted casually, giving Buffy a Cheshire cat grin. “I‘m helpless to resist her, but I must admit that I am glad that I can be myself again.”

“I’m going to bite him.” Spike muttered darkly. When Buffy sent him a warning look, he walked over to her. Wrapping his arms around her waist, he pulled her hard against his chest and trailed his hands down to cup her ass. “Can I kill him…please.”

“What the chip’s broken one day and you’re already back on Crush-Kill-Destroy mode?”

“I don’t want to kill everyone…just him.” Spike said grinding against her softly. “The way I see it pet, the worlds a better place without him, so killing him would be almost noble.”

“Okay, go kill him.” Buffy said loudly, giving Wes a head’s up.

“What?” Spike asked, not really expecting that.

“Go, kill Wes, you have my blessing.” Buffy said seconds before placing a soft kiss on his lips. She knew Wes could take care of himself and if worst came to worst, she was certain that she and Faith could pull them apart before any serious damage was done.

“Don’t tempt me slayer.” Spike warned growling low in his throat.

“Not tempting, not teasing I mean it…go.” She pulled away and went over to sit at the base of Giles’s stairs.

Spike watched her go and then turned back to Wes and then back to Buffy.

Since Spike was clearly uncertain of what to do, Wes sent him an arch look. “Is it to the death then or are you just going to wait for me to die of old age?”

“Bugger, I can’t.” Spike said letting out a deep sigh. “She sucked all the fun out of it by saying it was okay.”

“If you’d like I can fire you up again?” Wes said congenially, more than willing to fight with Spike. It wasn’t just an excuse to put his hand on him either, he just enjoyed a good spat now and again, he lied to himself.

“Would you?” Spike asked brightening a little.

“Certainly, just give me a moment here.” Wes said searching his mind for something suitably inflammatory.

“Uhh, B are you really going to let them do this?” Faith asked, walking over to stand beside her.

“Sure, maybe they’ll kill each other and I can find someone new to annoy me.” Buffy said with a shrug.

Spike and Wes heard her and gave each other a considering look, both trying to figure out if she meant that.

Wes was 99.9% sure that she was joking but that remaining .1% filled him with doubt. “You would miss me if I was gone, wouldn’t you luv?”

“Nope.” Buffy tossed back casually.

“NO?”

“No,” Buffy said, shaking her head just incase he had misunderstood her.

“Why in the hell not, I am completely irreplaceable.” Wes said shrilly, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Maybe in England you’re a one of a kind freak but this is California and all the weird people end up here.”

“You would miss me, wouldn’t you luv.” Spike said sending Wes a smug look.

“Yep…but then again if you got yourself killed, I’d be pretty angry.”

“I can’t have my girl angry now can I.” He told Wes apologetically before walking over to sit beside her.

“I can not seriously believe that you would prefer this…this Sid Vicious wanna be over me.” Wes said viciously, no longer amused with her antics.

“You want him just as badly as I do, so that argument is about as bogus as your knockoff designer watch.” Buffy shot back, no longer happy with him either. He was such a fricking Prima Donna sometimes, she thought rolling her eyes. “You just wanted to fight so you could cop a feel or two, so don’t blame me if Spike doesn’t want to play.”

“This is Cartier!” He said holding up his wrist.

“Cartier by way of China maybe. Trust me Wes, I know a fake when I see one.”

Angry now but no longer at her, he ripped the watch off and threw it to the floor. He raised his foot to crush it, promising to pay the retailer a little visit, when Buffy’s laughter rang through the room like a chorus of bright and gay church bells.

“I was only kidding Wes.” Buffy said sincerely, thinking the rouse had gone far enough. How was she supposed to know he would be so dramatic? Well duh, it’s Wes she told herself shaking her head. “It’s real, so unless it’s insured I wouldn’t do that if I was you.”

“You little minx!” Wes said bending down to scoop up his watch. It was scuffed somewhat but since it was nothing a little buffing couldn’t cure, he gave her a brilliant smile. “When this is over remind me never to engage you in a game of cards.” For some reason half of the people in the room began to laugh at his comment and he looked around hoping for an explanation.

Taking pity on him Buffy returned his smile warmly. “The others learned that lesson a bit too late.”

“I see, how much did you take them for?”

“Around three large,” Buffy admitted, feeling only slightly guilty.

“Well done, perhaps we shall have to find a reason to head over to Las Vegas and try you luck there?”

“For god‘s sake man you’re her Watcher and you have exhibited the level of maturity that one would expect from a blueberry scone!” Giles said, having seen more than enough. He was glad that the man wasn’t a regulation Watcher, per se, but since he was responsible for guiding Buffy he had to be well…responsible, Giles decided. “If you wish for your slayer to successfully navigate the trials ahead you must lead by example.”

“Says the Watcher whose Slayer had an illicit liaison with a vampire, causing him to lose his soul and become a vicious killer.” Wes shot back instantly bristling at Giles’s authorial tone. He had enough of that from his bastard father. “Did that occur when you were settling down with a nice cup of tea or did you lead by example by taking a vampiric lover of your very own?”

“How dare you!” Giles said coldly, with more than a hint of Ripper making an appearance in his voice. Getting out of his chair, he walked over to stand in front of Wes. “Not only is that crass and irrelevant but your very own Slayer, a girl that you have had a past sexual relationship with no less, is at this very moment involved romantically with a vampire.”

Wes cleared his throat to stop the laughter that was threatening to spill out and looked over his shoulder at Buffy. “Sir, you might have missed this but she is, in fact a vampire. So it is hardly scandalous that she is engaged in a sexual relationship with another vampire. Now as to my own past sexual relationship with the girl, who need I remind you, was until a few days ago a prostitute, it occurred well before she was under my charge. But under your guidance and authority, she not only died at the hands of a vampire, much like your own Slayer before her, but became a vampire as well. Yet here you stand daring to lecture me on the proper etiquette and interaction between a Watcher and Slayer.”

Since Giles was turning a very brilliant color of plum, Buffy walked over to stand between the two men. “Wesley that is enough.”

“Your Slayer is the one who must council your temper, does something not seem amiss with that scenario?” Giles said crisply.

“You,” Buffy said poking a finger in Giles’s chest. “If the Council would have sent some stuffy prick, I would have sent him back to England crying for his mommy. The Council chose Wesley for a reason and it is because he can relate to me. More than that he is brilliant. Don’t forget that it was him who suggested the Enjoining spell and if you could look past his glaringly obvious flaws you would see that he can be of use here. This place has apocalypses appearing nightly and it can’t hurt to have another bookworm around.”

Before either man could reply or respond, a loud strangled yell erupted behind them. Recognizing the voice time seemed to slow down as Buffy turned back to where she had left Spike.