With her clothes and more than a few of her favorite toys secure in the trunk of her rental car, she decided to explore a bit of Sunnydale before going to the address Angel had given her. She wasn’t entirely sure she was this slayer thingy and she didn’t really feel like showing up on someone’s doorstep asking them to believe it. Unaware that she had even done it, she veered off the main sidewalks and headed into the alleyways. By the time she had explored half of the town, which wasn’t very much town to begin with when, she realized that she had retreated into her natural habitat. It wasn’t like she was looking for a john, it was because she just felt more comfortable off of the normally beaten path. For her the alleys, any alley was home and just when she started to believe they were pretty much the same wherever you went, she found herself surrounded by men in full out GI Joe gear complete with a matching black Humvee. “Problem?”

“What are you doing back here?” One asked stepping forward. They had been watching her for an hour and even though they knew she wasn’t a vamp, they knew not all hostiles looked human. As far as they were concerned a tiny little blonde didn’t go wandering through the darkened alleys unless she was looking for trouble.

“Tell me how that’s any of your business?” She said crossly. The tone of his voice told her he was looking to fight, so she figured she might as well speed it along.

“You need to come with us.” He said pulling out a plastic zip tie restraint, that anyone who had seen an episode of Cops would recognize.

“You didn’t say please.” She said assuming her typical fighting stance. Just like she had expected he rushed her and when he found himself knocked flat on his ass, the others being a bit more cautious than their fearless leader rushed her in groups of two.

It didn’t help, in less than ten minutes she had sent them all scurrying back to wherever in the hell they had come from to begin with. It didn’t take her long to see that they were human, so she hadn’t killed any of them. But she had hurt them enough to make them choose retreat over valor. Rolling her neck to release the lingering tension in her shoulders that came with every fight, she heard the sound of footsteps coming her way. Blowing out an impatient sigh, she turned around to face the next wave. To her surprise there was only one man standing there. He was tall and stocky with a wide chest and soft brown hair but just like the others he was all dressed up for war. “I gotta say I was expecting them to send more than just one guy. I mean the others didn’t do so hot, so what in the hell made them think you could get the job done.”

Riley could see her breath in the cold night air, so she wasn’t a vampire but since she hadn’t rushed him right away he had no idea what was going on. “What are you because normal humans don’t attack highly trained demon fighters let alone win.”

“Hey they attacked me.” She protested crossing her arms over her chest. “I just came to town to check on a friends ex and next thing I know I’m being hassled by the secret government police or whatever in the hell you all are.”

“Your friend got a name?” Riley asked getting a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach but not really sure where it was coming from. “Maybe I can help you find whoever you’re looking for, so you can be on your way.”

“His name’s Angel and since he’s a vampire with a soul, I don’t think you know him.”

“He sent you here after Faith?” Riley asked pulling out his baton. “You want her, you gotta go through me.”

“Ratchet down soldier boy, I’m not here for a girl-fight.” Buffy said holding up her hands. It was clear that this was the mysterious Faith’s boyfriend and something told her, slaygal wouldn’t like it if her boy toy got a smack down. She had to work with her to square things with Angel, so it didn’t hurt to try being nice first. “Heard you were having a bit of trouble so Angel sent me here to find someone named Giles. I’m not looking to get your girl back with Angel, I’m just suppose to help in a purely fighting bad guys kinda way.”

“Why should I trust you?”

“Your friends are the ones who punched first so I think that should be my line. But I’ve got an address and one way or another I am going to go there. Now you can walk me there like a gentleman or I can kick your ass and go there myself. But I’m going to go there.” Buffy told him, leaving the choice up to him.

“If you had the address, why are you hanging out in the alley?”

“What can I say, I like the ambiance. Places like this are the closest thing I have to a home.” She admitted with a shrug. “So are we fighting or are we going for a walk?”

Since she hadn’t answered his earlier question, her words had just more or less confirmed the fact she was some kind of demon in his mind. She had taken out a team, so that made her good which meant he didn’t stand a chance. He didn’t like the idea of taking any ‘friend’ of Angel’s to Faith but atleast at Giles’s place he wouldn’t have to fight her alone. Pulling out his cell, he dialed Giles. “Hey it’s Riley, I’m bringing someone who claims to be a friend of Angel’s by your place. Could you get a hold of Faith and have her meet us there?”

After hanging up, Riley gave her a slight nod. “Do you have a name?”

Not really sure why he had phrased it that way, she had to laugh. She tapped her fist against her chest and gave her best Tarzan impression. “You Riley…me Buffy.”

In a cloud of mutual confusion they made they way to Giles’s place. Riley was hoping that Giles could figure out what in the hell was going on and who or what Buffy really was.

Buffy on the other hand was wondering if all of Faith’s friends were as weird as this one, because if they were it wasn’t any wonder that Angel had skipped town.

She had her answer when she was met at the door by a tall man with glasses holding a crossbow. “Doesn’t anyone in this town say hello?” She asked, shaking her head in disbelief. “I take it Angel hasn’t called you yet?”

“Before I put this down, could you tell me why he sent you?” Giles asked, feeling slightly embarrassed about holding the pretty young girl at arrow point.

“His sidekick Doyle got a vision direct from the all seeing Powers and since Angel was already up to his neck with demons he sent me to help.”

“Just exactly how are you suppose to help us?” Faith asked coming up behind Giles.

“I’m pretty useful in a fight, just ask your boy here.” Buffy said jerking her head towards Riley. When Faith clenched her fists and started to step forward, Buffy explained feeling that all she would accomplish is delaying the inevitable. “A bunch of soldiers jumped me and Riley showed up at the end. He wasn’t in a rush to fight first and ask questions later, like his friends, so we talked instead of me kicking his ass.”

“You sound pretty sure that you would have won.” Faith asked pushing past Giles to walk over to stand in front of her.

“If you want to take me on, take your shot. But once I take you down, do you think we can talk about the shit I actually came here to fight with?” Buffy shot back and just as soon as the words had left her mouth, Faith took her up on her offer. She ducked the punch that she had been half expected and went down to sweep her at the leg. When Faith hit the concrete Buffy moved over and placed her knee against her throat pinning her in place. Her face was turned to the right, away from her and since Buffy was applying enough pressure to make breathing difficult she knew Faith didn’t have anyway to counter.

Figuring that she had made her point and because she didn’t feel like being shot, Buffy let Faith up and quickly stepped out of her reach. “I could have snapped your neck or crushed your windpipe but I didn’t so that should at least earn me an invite inside and possibly a cool beverage of some sort.”

“If you think I am going to invite an unknown vampire into my home, you are sadly deluded.” Giles said coldly leaping to the obvious but wrong conclusion about her.

“I’m not a vampire but Angel keeps trying to sell me on the idea that I’m a slayer like your girl here.” Buffy tossed out casually having no idea that particular admission would change her life forever.