The next morning, Buffy woke up and felt the bus moving, rolling along underneath her.

‘Guess we really are heading home,’ she thought, getting up and walking to the main part of the bus, not caring that she was still in her pajamas. Oz, Xander, and Angel were sitting on two couches that faced each other, talking. She sat beside Angel and took a deep breath.

“So, what’s going to happen from here?” she asked quietly, looking at all of them.

“He quit the band,” Xander replied, looking down. “What else is there to the story?”

“Are you going to try and replace him, or are you and Oz jumping ship, too?” she asked.

“We don’t know,” Oz answered, shrugging. “We haven’t really thought about our options yet.”

“We’re more focused on the friend that abandoned us,” Xander replied sternly.

“Where is he?” she asked. “Did he stay behind in Reno?”

“He flew home,” Angel answered. “Probably early this morning. I’m sure he’s back in his apartment right now, packing up.”

“He’s leaving?” she asked, surprised.

“Who knows?” Xander replied. “Maybe. He never really liked it here, anyways.”

“You think he’ll return to London?” she asked quietly, a part of her hoping that he wouldn’t.

“Will you lay off with the questions for a minute?” Xander asked, angry. “All you care about is your stupid article!”

“Xander,” Angel said in a warning tone, looking at the other man. “Shut up.”

“I don’t care about the article,” she shot back, crossing her arms and standing up. “I didn’t even want this assignment in the first place. As far as I’m concerned now, there is no article. I care about all of you, and all I’m trying to do is help.” Xander looked down, frowning.

“I’m sorry, Buffy,” he apologized. “I didn’t mean to snap at you. I’m just on edge.”

“I know,” she said, walking over to him and giving him a small hug. “I’m sorry that this happened, and I know it’s partially my fault.” He looked at her, confused. “If I hadn’t come on the trip with you guys, maybe this wouldn’t have happened.”

“Or maybe we were doomed to implode early on?” he said, shrugging. “It’s not your fault, Buffy.”

“Besides, I think you added a lot to the trip,” Angel said, smiling slightly. “It was like we had an official groupie or something.”

“A ‘band-aid’?” she asked, smirking at him. He chuckled.

“From ‘Almost Famous’, right?” he asked, and she nodded. “That movie’s the reason I enlisted Lilah to send a reporter along with us.” She smiled.

“It’s a good movie,” she said. “And even though things didn’t work out as well as they should’ve, I’m happy I came on tour with you all. It’s been a pleasure.” She returned to her bunk and pulled out her laptop, preparing to tell Lilah the bad news.

* * *

When her cell phone rang an hour later, she wasn’t surprised to hear Lilah’s voice on the other end.

“What do you mean, they broke up?” she asked, angry. “What happened?”

“It’s a long story, but the lead singer quit last night,” Buffy answered cautiously.

“Well, I can’t say I expected that,” Lilah replied, calming down. “Well, I guess their loss is our gain.”

“What do you mean?” Buffy asked, confused.

“The article will be a hell of a lot more interesting now, won’t it?” Lilah said. “People love reading about the downfall of celebrities and bands. This won’t be any different.”

“You want to capitalize off of the break-up?” Buffy asked, trying not to become upset. “Why don’t we just scrap the article and let these guys keep their dignity?”

“Have you ever heard of a magazine go out of its way to preserve someone’s dignity?” Lilah asked. “No. So why would we be any different?”

“Because they deserve a lot more than to be trampled on just so the magazine can make a few dollars and capture more interest,” Buffy said firmly. “I don’t want to write an article about this, Lilah.”

“Then you’re fired,” she replied instantly. Buffy looked down, thinking about her boss’ words. “What do you say to that?”

“If I write it, I’d be compromising all of my values just to appease you,” Buffy said quietly.

“So? Are you in or are you out?” Lilah asked, and Buffy took a deep breath.

“I’m in,” she said. “But I’m doing things my way, got me?”

“Whatever you say,” Lilah replied. “Just write the article and hand it in to me, Buffy. That’s your job.” She hung up, and Buffy looked at the three men, still sitting on the couches in the front of the bus.

‘I can’t do this to them,’ she thought. ‘Why did I say I’d write it?’ She sighed. ‘I need this job, and if I quit or get fired, I’ve got nothing. I can’t let Dawnie down, not now.’ She lay down on a pillow, closing her eyes. ‘What do I do now?’ She paused. ‘I write the article, that’s what I do. And if it makes Spike sound like a jerk…well then that’s what’s going to happen.’

* * *

When Buffy walked into her apartment the next morning, Xander behind her, they dropped all of her luggage off in her kitchen.

“So, it looks like this is the last stop,” Buffy said, looking at him. He nodded, putting his hands in his pockets. “It was a pleasure touring with you, Xander, and I wish you and Oz a lot of luck.”

“You too,” he replied before hugging her. “I’m sorry things didn’t work out for you and Spike.” She looked at him. “I was the one who called you that one afternoon in Vegas. He told me all about the debauchery you two engaged in.” She blushed and looked down. “I wish things would’ve been better for you two. You deserve it.” She looked up at him once again. “Maybe I’ll see you around town.” She nodded. “Goodbye, Buffy.”

“Goodbye, Xander,” she said sadly, watching him leave. She closed the door behind him and wasn’t surprised when Dawn walked into the kitchen. She had called to tell her what had happened after getting off of the phone with Lilah, keeping the more personal details private. “Hey.”

“Hey,” Dawn said, hugging her older sister. “I couldn’t help but hear what Xander said to you.” Buffy looked down. “You and Spike…?”

“We gave it a shot,” she answered quietly. “It didn’t work.” Dawn ran her hand over Buffy’s hair.

“I’m sorry,” she replied sincerely. “I had hoped you two would hook up.”

“That’s because you wouldn’t mind him as a brother-in-law,” Buffy said in a light tone. “But to no avail- I’m single Buffy again.”

“And is single Buffy okay?” Dawn asked, noticing the sad look in her sister’s eyes.

“She will be,” she answered. “She’s just battling some inner turmoil right now.”

“Is there anything I can help you with?” Dawn asked, trying to be helpful.

“No, but thank you,” Buffy replied. “Things will work out in due time.”

‘I hope.’
***************************************************************************




A/N First, I want to say thanks again to those who reviewed the last chapter- you all just keep blowing me away!:) Second, I want to say Happy Birthday (again) to my friend and co-author Ashlee! Everyone be sure to wish her happy birthday, also:)