Buffy’s mind was reeling as she stared at Spike, looming above her.

‘Why is he here? How long has he been listening?’ she asked herself, beginning to panic. ‘I never should’ve come here. This was a bad idea…a very, very bad idea.’

Spike slowly descended the stairs, never once taking his eyes off of hers.

‘She’s pretty cute when she looks flustered,’ he thought as he sat beside her on the couch.

“What’re you doing here?” she asked quietly, somewhat nervous.

‘This wasn’t supposed to happen,’ she thought. ‘I wasn’t supposed to see him this soon.’

“I was invited, luv,” he answered, smiling slightly. “It’s my friend’s apartment, after all.” He looked between her and Angel. “I should be the one asking you that same question.”

“Needed information for my article,” she said, looking down. “But I’m sure you know that, what with listening and everything to the conversation.”

“What makes you think I was listening?” he asked, smirking. She looked at him, surprised. “Who am I kidding? Of course I was listening. I wasn’t just sitting up there and muting you out.”

“I’ll let you two talk,” Angel said, heading towards his door. “Please don’t destroy anything in my absence. If anything gets broken, I’m making one of you pay.” He smiled softly at Buffy before leaving. She took a deep breath as Spike focused on her once again.

“So, you’re writing the article still, it seems,” Spike said. “Didn’t know if you would or not.”

“It’s my job,” she replied, studying a chip in Angel’s glass coffee table.

“So, what are you going to write about me?” he asked, deciding to cut to the chase.

‘Don’t need to string the conversation along,’ he thought. ‘It’s obvious she doesn’t want to be alone here with me, and rightfully so. Not like her and I split up on good terms.’

“I don’t know,” she answered simply, not willing to look at him. “I suppose I should be honest, though, shouldn’t I?”

“I’m not the reporter here,” he replied, shrugging. “I don’t really know how you should be, but as a reader, honesty usually makes the best news.”

“Then I guess it’s going to be one amazing article,” she said, suddenly filling with anger, choosing to stop holding back her feelings. She looked at him, her eyes narrowing. “I can tell everyone about how you screwed over your band-mates in hopes that you could have a solo career. About how you got absolutely shit-faced before a show, made a jackass out of yourself, and left your friends high and dry in Reno during the first week of the tour. In fact, I could totally ruin any thoughts of you becoming a solo artist with this article. People aren’t going to support a guy who’s selfish, rude, and disloyal.” She smirked. “Sounds like a pretty interesting story to me, don’t you think?”

“Captivating,” he said sternly. She looked away, nodding.

“Yeah, I think it’ll be a big hit,” she replied. He took a deep breath and looked at her.

“I know I was a wanker to you, pet,” he said quietly. “The things I said to you were uncalled for, and the way I treated you was equally as bad. You didn’t deserve it, and I’m sorry.” She looked at him, crossing her arms.

“I’m not going to say that I didn’t deserve it because I did,” she said. “I was pretty horrible to you, too, Spike, but unlike you, I’m not going to apologize. I gave as good as I got…and I think it was worth it.”

“What do you mean?” he asked, raising an eyebrow.

“What happened with us wasn’t exactly good,” she answered. “We didn’t start off on the right foot, and a couple of days later, we’re sleeping together in Vegas?”

“I didn’t hear you complaining at the time,” he said, somewhat angry, clenching his jaw.

“That’s because I didn’t see how wrong it was then,” she replied. “I thought things between us were going to get better after that night, but they didn’t.” She paused. “I’m pretty sure we already discussed this, haven’t we? Isn’t this what started the fight between us?” He nodded, looking down. “But my point is, it was a bad idea and pretty unprofessional of me to even think of getting involved with you. I’m sorry that things didn’t pan out, but I think we both knew somewhere inside that they wouldn’t.” He looked at her. “Have you apologized to them?”

“Xander and Oz?” he asked, and she nodded. “We met up last night here.”

“Are things patched up between you three?” she asked, and he shrugged.

“I don’t quite know if they ever will be, but I’m making an effort to fix things,” he said. She smiled softly.

“Good,” she replied. “I’m glad to hear it.” She looked at her watch and sighed. “I should probably go.”

“Can I ask you something first, luv?” he asked, and she hesitantly nodded. “Do you regret what happened in Vegas?”

“Sometimes,” she answered, looking down.

“I guess ‘sometimes’ is something,” he said, smiling softly. She looked at him and saw what she considered to be a hopeful look in his eyes. She stood up and walked to the door. “Am I going to see you again?”

“I don’t know,” she said, not turning to look at him. “It’s a small town- it’s not like I can hide.” He smirked.

“And I know where you live,” he added. She smiled to herself and opened the door. “Bye, Buffy.”

“Goodbye, Spike,” she said, letting herself out and closing the door behind her before leaning back against it.

‘Why do I always get myself into trouble?’ she asked herself before leaving quickly and dialing a number on her cell phone. She smiled when someone picked up on the other line.

“Hi, Willow.”

* * *

Twenty minutes later, Buffy and Willow were seated at a table in the Espresso Pump, drinking coffee.

“So, what do you think I should do?” Buffy asked the redhead. “I mean, whatever I write will affect your fiancé and his career, too.”

“Don’t worry about Oz,” Willow said. “This is more about you and Spike.”

“But it shouldn’t be,” Buffy replied. “I’m just a reporter who was involved in the mess. The guys are the ones who matter in this, not me.” She looked down. “Do I tell people the truth? What Spike did?”

“Is that what you want to do?” Willow asked. “Will it make things better for you? Easier?” Buffy looked at her. “Will you be better able to cope with things?”

“I guess, maybe,” Buffy answered, shrugging. “But I don’t know if I really want to write an article that’s clearly bashing Spike.”

“Because you care about him,” Willow said quietly, smiling softly.

“You’re the second person who has suggested that today,” Buffy replied.

“Then it must be true,” Willow said. “Isn’t it?” Buffy looked down once again and nodded. “It makes sense that you don’t want to write something bad about him.”

“Even if on some level I think he deserves it?” she asked. Willow shrugged. “I do care about him, Willow, and yeah, maybe he deserves it, but I should be the better person, right? I should write something that covers what happened neutrally and doesn’t hurt him more, don’t you think?”

“Will that make you happy?” Willow asked. “Will writing an article like that make you feel better about things?”

“I don’t know,” Buffy answered. “I guess it might be a start.” Willow smiled softly. “Have you always been this wise?”

“I read a lot,” Willow replied, and Buffy laughed. “I know things with you and Spike didn’t work out, but you’ve got to look at the surrounding factors of that situation. You were traveling together, didn’t know much about one another, and didn’t exactly get along in the first place.” She took a sip of her coffee. “Maybe you should reevaluate things and decide if maybe he deserves another shot.”

“Have you talked to him?” Buffy asked, raising an eyebrow. “Because it would seem that you know more than just what I’ve told you.”

“Oz has told me a little,” the redhead said. “And yes, I did run into Spike the other day. He seemed pretty troubled about things, especially everything concerning you.”

“Did he say something about me giving him ‘another shot’?” Buffy asked quietly, and Willow took a deep breath before nodding. “Are you serious?”

“He wants to start over with you, except it would be right this time,” Willow said. “He wants to try again and prove to you that he’s not the man you witnessed on tour.”

“Do you think I should give him another chance?” Buffy asked, looking into her half-empty mug.

“I think you should do what makes you happy,” Willow said. “You’re the only one who knows what’s good for you, Buffy. You just need to think things through and maybe the answer will come to you.”

“Are you indirectly telling me I should try again with Spike?” she asked, smiling slightly.

“You bet your ass I am,” Willow replied, laughing. “He’s my friend, too, you know, and I want him to be happy.”

“I’ll think about it,” Buffy replied before getting up and hugging Willow. “Thank you for this.”

“Of course,” Willow replied. “That’s what friends do.” Buffy smiled. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a date with my fiancé.”

“Say hi to Oz for me,” Buffy said, and Willow nodded. “Bye, Will.” She gave Buffy a little wave before walking away, and Buffy sat down once again, looking at her coffee.

‘What’s the worst that can happen?’ she asked herself. ‘I know- he could hurt me more.’ She sighed. ‘But I can do just as much damage.’ She closed her eyes for a brief second. ‘But things could be better, and I think him and I both deserve that, don’t we?’
***************************************************************************



A/N I tried working in different ideas from everyone, so I want to thank those who left reviews after chapter 14! I also tried to make this chapter a little bit longer to appease those who like them that way:) The story is slowly nearing a close, so tell me what you think/hope happens- maybe I'll write in more ideas!