“I have some really interesting news,” Angel said as he put his cordless phone back on the receiver. Spike looked at him from his seat on the couch, flipping through a copy of “Young and Hip” magazine.

“And? What is it?” he asked. “Is the company who makes your hair gel going out of business? Because I can see how that’d be interesting to you.” Angel shot him a look. “Although, I don’t see how they could go bankrupt or anything- you buy a new bloody container of it every week.”

“Will you shut up already?” Angel asked, crossing his arms. “This is something that I think you really need to hear.”

“So why don’t you get on with it and tell me what’s so bleeding fascinating,” Spike said, looking at the magazine once again.

“Buffy quit her job,” Angel said, and Spike froze before looking at his manager and friend.

“She what?” he asked, shocked. “Why would she do that? Didn’t she write the article?”

“No, it seems she did,” Angel answered, sitting on a chair across from him. “But she gave Lilah her two weeks notice this afternoon, so I don’t know why she would quit.”

“But she wrote the article?” Spike asked, and Angel nodded. “Did Lilah say how it turned out?”

“She said that Buffy portrayed you as being a lovable fool,” Angel replied, noticing how Spike’s eyes lit up. “It sounds like she depicted you as making a few hasty decisions, but according to Lilah, she didn’t make you seem like a bad guy.” Spike closed the magazine he was holding and stood up. “So I guess that’s something, isn’t it?”

“Yeah,” Spike said, still stunned. “It’s something.” Angel smiled as his friend grabbed his car keys.

“Are you leaving?” he asked, already knowing exactly where Spike was going.

“Have to see a girl,” he answered before letting himself out of the apartment and going to his car outside.

‘If anyone made a stupid decision, it was her,’ he thought, getting into his car and speeding off.

* * *

When Buffy heard a knock on her door a couple of hours after packing up her office at the magazine, she didn’t know what to expect.

‘Maybe Lilah’s going to have me killed off,’ she thought, laughing to herself at such an asinine idea. ‘Or maybe she’s here to plead with me to take my job back.’ She smiled. ‘Now that’d be the day hell froze over. Lilah Morgan wouldn’t ever plead with an employee.’

As she opened the door, she felt a chill run through her as she saw Spike standing there, an icy look in his eyes.

“Hi,” she said quietly, and he walked inside her apartment, moving right past her. “Yes, please do come in. I don’t mind a bit.”

“Good,” he replied, crossing his arms. She raised an eyebrow as she closed the door, thoroughly confused by how he was acting.

‘What the hell did I do now?’ she thought.

“So, what brings you to my humble abode?” she asked, leaning back against her door.

“You quit your job,” he said sternly, and she tilted her head.

“Wow, news sure travels fast,” she replied. “How did you find out?”

“Lilah is Angel’s cousin, remember?” he asked, looking at her. She sighed and looked away.

“So, what? I can’t quit my job?” she asked, focusing on her coffeemaker.

“Why would you do something like that?” he asked. “I thought you loved it there.” She looked at him.

“I did,” she said. “But other things got in the way, and I was sick of playing by Lilah’s rules.”

“Did you quit because of me?” he asked, and she stared at him, quirking an eyebrow.

“Why would you think that?” she asked. “Are you really that full of yourself that you think I’d do something like this because of you?”

“Don’t be a bitch, Summers,” he replied sharply. “Just answer the bloody question.”

“I didn’t quit my job because of you,” she answered. “I quit because I constantly had to do things that I didn’t want to do or write things that compromised my values and beliefs.”

“Like the article about the band?” he asked, and she looked down, hesitantly nodding. “So it did have something to do with me.” She took a deep breath.

“The article was just a catalyst for me deciding to quit,” she said. “But when it boils down to it, you were about 5% of the reason, so I’m just going to stick by the fact that me leaving the magazine didn’t involve you.” He smiled slightly.

“Do you enjoy being stubborn or something?” he asked, and she looked at him, noticing the smile that was forming on his lips, causing her to smile, too. “Or is it that you just like being a pain in my ass?”

“A little of both, actually,” she replied. “So that’s why you came here? To criticize me for quitting?”

“Nope, there’s more,” he said. “I thought you told me that you needed that job. That the money you were earning was necessary to help Dawn out and to keep you two afloat financially.”

“It was,” she answered, shrugging. “But if you think I quit without having a back-up plan, you’re wrong, buck-o.”

“So what are you going to do instead?” he asked curiously. “Flip burgers at Doublemeat Palace?”

“You’d love that, wouldn’t you?” she asked, laughing. “Would make you feel all superior.”

“Not a chance, luv,” he replied. “I’d just pay off all of your bills for you.” She shook her head, still smiling.

“I was offered a position on the staff of The Sunnydale Times,” she said. “I’ll still be a music reporter, but now I get to cover new movies, too.”

“Sounds like it’s right up your alley, then,” he said, smiling, and she nodded.

“And now I can go see movies every weekend and right them off as being for work,” she said, grinning. “You wouldn’t believe how excited Dawn was to hear that.”

“But isn’t your salary going to be a lot lower?” he asked casually. “A lot lower?”

“By about two dollars an hour, yeah,” she answered. “It could really be worse. I’d take an even more drastic pay-cut so as to not have to deal with Lilah daily.”

“If she’s anything like Peaches, I don’t blame you,” he said, chuckling.

“Hey, Angel really is a peach compared to Lilah,” she replied, smirking. “She’s the devil, I swear.”

“Angel has his evil side, too, you know,” he said. “Maybe it’s in their genes or something.” She giggled and looked down. “Lilah told Angel that you didn’t make me sound like a jerk in your article.” She nodded, not willing to look at him. “Why not?”

“Because when push came to shove, you didn’t deserve it,” she answered. “You realize you messed up and have apologized to all of us. I don’t really see why I should punish you more for something that you obviously regret doing.” He smiled softly. “Besides, I don’t want the whole town to hate you.”

“Just you, right?” he asked, and she looked at him, confused. “You’re the only one who’s supposed to hate me, yeah?”

“And Dawnie,” she answered, smiling. “Don’t forget her and that ‘arrangement’ you two have.”

“Did she tell you about that?” he asked, chuckling, and she nodded.

“I’d believe her,” she said. “She’s a hair-puller, too, just to warn you.” He smiled and looked down, putting his hands in his pockets.

“So, what happens from here?” he asked. “Are we still going to talk?”

“I don’t know- are we?” she asked, looking at him. He took a deep breath before focusing his eyes on hers.

“I want to,” he said. “I mean, I know what happened before between us didn’t exactly go well, but I’m a good man, Buffy, and I’d like the chance to prove it to you.”

“Okay,” she said nonchalantly, shrugging. He raised an eyebrow.

“‘Okay’?” he asked, surprised by her demeanor. “That’s your answer?” She grinned.

“Yes, Spike, I’ll give you another chance,” she answered. “But on one condition.” He smirked.

“And what’s that, pet?” he asked, approaching her and wrapping his arms around her, looking down into her eyes.

“You’ll let me interview you,” she said, smiling.

“Why? The article is done, isn’t it?” he asked, confused.

“So what? You owe me an interview, at least,” she said. He took a deep breath and nodded.

“Fine, I’ll let you bloody interview me,” he replied. “But you won’t publish your findings anywhere, will you?”

“Only if you make me mad, I will,” she answered, winking at him, causing him to laugh.

“Then it looks like it’ll just stay between us then, won’t it?” he asked, looking into her eyes.

“Yes, I guess it does,” she said before leaning up and kissing him.
***************************************************************************




A/N Thanks to everyone for the great reviews lately- I really do appreciate them! The story shall be coming to a close soon, I think, so opinions are encouraged!:)