As Buffy packed, she still couldn’t believe how happy she was- her luck was really changing. She was doing so much better at school, but the most important thing was that her dad cared about her. She couldn’t wait to see him and show him her paper.

“Buffy? Buffy? Earth to Buffy!” Willow said.

“What?”

“Wow, where were you? Telephone for you.”

“Is it my dad?”

“I don’t know.”

“Ok, thanks, Wills.”

“No problem. I’m heading to the library. If I don’t see you, have a good time.”

“Thanks, Will.” She waved goodbye to her friend and grabbed the phone.

“Hello.”

“Annie, it's me, Lilah.”

“What’s going on? Is my dad ok?”

“Yes, dear, very well. He asked me to tell you that he is not going to be able to make it this weekend. Something more important came up, and he had to fly to Rome.”

“What? But he called me last night to confirm,” Buffy said, surprised.

“Sorry, darling, what can I tell you? I guess his mind is somewhere else. He’s all excited since he found out he is going to be a daddy.”

“What? A daddy?” Buffy asked, shocked.

“Oops. my fault. I thought you knew already.”

“No, I didn’t.”

“Well, yes, Annie, we are expecting our first baby, and I cannot even begin to tell you how excited we are. Hank is going crazy. He hopes he is having the son he always wanted, and between that and the Italy thing, well, his mind is just…”

“What Italy thing?”

“Oops, I keep spelling out secrets- must be the hormones. Well, don’t worry, I’m sure he’ll talk to you in person about it.”

“What Italy thing?”

“Ok, well, I guess there’s no reason for me to keep this a secret anymore. Your father has been transfered to Rome in some commercial trade mission.”

“What? When?”

“He has to be there in two weeks.”

“Two weeks?”

“Well, yes. You see, honey, it’s kinda urgent. Besides, it's better for the baby. I shouldn’t be traveling that much, and the weather over there is just perfect, don’t you think… Annie? Still there?”

“Yes, I’m still here.” Buffy was trying so hard not to cry.

“Don’t worry. No matter how hard I tried, your dad is still paying for your tuition, and honestly, I’m fine with that now. I guess it’s the hormones talking. Anyway, darling, I told you that you weren’t going to get in my way.”

“Fuck you, Lilah,” Buffy finally exploded as she hung up the phone.

She ran, in tears, back to her dorm. She couldn’t believe it- she was alone again. One more time she had trusted her dad, and one more time he was leaving her all alone in a foreign country. It seemed that it didn’t matter how hard she had tried- she always ended up alone.

Buffy decided that she needed some distractions. This time, she wasn’t going to stay in, crying all night. Lilah wasn’t going to have that satisfaction. So, after washing her face with cold water, she headed outside.

“Cordelia? What time is the party?”

“9:00pm. But I thought you said that…”

“I’m in.”

She picked for that night some black leather pants and a red halter top. As she was zipping her boots, Willow came back from the library, carrying a pile of books and a pizza box. She looked surprised to see Buffy still there.

“Buffy, you are here. Not that that’s a bad thing, but I thought by now you would be with your dad and your evil step-mother. And look at you- you are all dressed up.”

“It's ok, Will, change of plans. I’m going out with Cordelia instead.”

“But, Buffy, you seemed so excited…”

“I don’t want to talk about it, ok? I have to go. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Wait, Buffy!”

“What?”

“Just be careful. You don’t know these girls. There are a lot of rumors- they can get wild and crazy.”

“Then that’s exactly what I need. Good night, Willow. Don’t wait up,” as she closed the door behind her.