Chapter 4

As she was waiting in the airport having some coffee, she realized she looked like hell- like she had just been in an orgy, but then again, maybe she had been in one.

When she finally was aboard, she was relieved that no one was sitting next to her. How had that happened? One second, she was on her way to Geneva, next thing she was drinking, being fingered, having sex in the bathroom, leaving with a complete stranger, lying to her father. How could she have been so stupid and naïve? Becoming a model? God knows what had happened at that studio. She couldn’t stay out of trouble, not even during a stupid flight.

She slept trough the entire flight. After claiming her luggage, she was finally on her way to meet her father. A part of her couldn’t wait to see him. It had been 2 years since she last saw him, but on the other hand, she couldn’t face him. She felt like he would be able to read her eyes. Her stupid eyes. The same eyes that had gotten her in trouble in the first place.

But her dad wasn’t there. Just some guy with a sign that said “Miss Summers”. Of course he wasn’t there. For a second, she felt like just walking away, getting lost in the crowd. But apparently, her dad had shown the chauffeur a picture of her because he recognized her. He explained to her that her dad was busy in some meeting and that he had been instructed to drive her to the hotel where she was staying and that he would get in touch with her as soon as possible.

Fucking bastard, a hotel? He couldn’t even receive her into his own house. Of course that stupid bitch to whom he was married hated her.

She pretended to be looking at the city as the driver was showing her the sites, but her mind was somewhere else.

After checking herself in at the hotel, she found a huge teddy bear and a chocolate basket in her room with a card that said: "I’m sorry I wasn’t able to pick you up. I thought you would be more comfortable here. I’ll be there tonight at 7:30 to take you out for dinner. Love, Dad.”

She took a long bath. A few months ago, her life was so different. Living at home with her mom and Dawn, dating Angel- it was perfect. When did everything fell apart? Was it when Angel left her? Or when Ted came along? It didn’t really matter anymore.

She found on her dresser a brochure for St. George's School as well as her uniform, which consisted of a blue blazer with the school logo, white shirts, a blue vest, a white, blue, and green skirt, white socks, and black shoes.

“Oh my God, this is so lame,” as she looked at the heavy blue coat and some sports clothing, if you could call that clothes. There was also a book containing the rules of the school.

“Welcome to jail, Buffy.”

The phone rang. Putting the book down, she hurried to answer it.

“Hello? Hi, daddy. Yes, I’m fine. Yes, I found everything. Yes, the room is nice. Dinner at 7:30 sounds great. See you then, bye.”

She decided to go with a plain look, just black pants and a white turtle neck sweater. Although it wasn’t super cold, it was definitely colder than California.

She realized that the mini bar was unlocked. It was tempting to open it, but she shook her head, saying to herself, “Haven’t you been in enough trouble already?” Either way, she opened it, just to find that there was no alcohol at all. “Thanks a lot, dad.”

As she saw herself a last time in the mirror, she hoped that her dad couldn’t see how lost she was, that she was no longer his little princess, but deep inside, she wanted exactly the opposite- she wanted to be saved.

She heard the knocking on the door.

“Coming,” she said, opening the door. “Daddy!”

“Hi, honey.”

She hugged him for what felt like an eternity. She couldn’t let go of him.

“Come on, let me look at you. Wow, you are so pretty. I’m glad you are here.”

“I missed you, daddy. How come we don’t get to see you anymore?”

“Buffy, honey, you know how busy I am, and with the distance and everything… but you are here now, and that’s all that matters. Oh, Lilah was sorry she couldn’t come, but she had a previous commitment, but she wants to welcome you to the city. She’ll join us tomorrow for breakfast.”

“Yippy,” she said, but only for her to hear. To her dad, she went with a plain “Ok”. It was actually a relief that she wasn’t there. The last thing she needed was her very young, evil stepmother there.

“Ready?”

“Sure.”

He was driving a brand new silver Mercedes. He looked so handsome and important. They went to a cute little restaurant in a very nice part of town. It was a beautiful city- nothing like she had ever seen before.

During dinner, they talked. Mostly small talk, but he briefly referred to the “incident”, as he called it, mainly because he was afraid of being a parent and to take some responsibility in that. Instead, he talked to her about how hard it had been to get her into that prestigious school, especially with her previous records and grades.

“You’ll have to work very hard, honey. This is a tough school, but once you graduate, you’ll be able to attend any college you want. You could even go to Paris to study art like you always wanted.”

“Daddy, I haven’t painted in years.”

“Oh, well, you could pretty much study anything you would like.”

“Would I get to see you often?”

“Sure, honey, as often as my duties let me.”

“I’ve missed you, dad.”

“Me too, princess.”

As they said goodbye back at the hotel, Hank reminded Buffy about their breakfast appointment, after which he would be driving her to St. George's.

“I have to go tomorrow? It’s too soon.”

“I know, honey. I wish we could have had more time, but you lost your connection. That really blew my plans.”

'He actually had plans for her?' Buffy thought. 'And I blew it for what? Stop beating yourself, Buffy. There’s nothing you can do now.'

“Ok, Daddy, see you tomorrow.”

“Before I forget, call your mother. Let her know that you are fine.”

'Like she cares,' she thought to herself. But again, the only thing that came out of her lips was an “Ok”.

As she dialed the phone, she felt shivers. It was weird being so far away.

“Hello,” a man's voice said.

It’s him- the FB, as she called him, which stood for fucking bastard.

“This is Buffy. I want to talk to my mother.”

“Well, what a surprise- the little brat cares to call.”

“Whatever, just put my mother on the phone, ok?”

“Fine, but make it quick. She is making dinner, and you know I don’t like to wait.”

“Just do it,” she yelled. She really hated him. She could hear him yell at her mom- he didn’t bother to cover the phone.

“Joyce, that crazy junkie daughter of yours is on the phone.” A second later, she heard her mom go, “Shhh, she’ll hear you.” “So what? We are better without that little whore anyway.” “Don’t say that,” her mom replied.

“Hello?”

“Hi, mom.”

“Buffy, honey, how are you?”

“I’m fine, mom, I’m fine.” She almost choked saying those words.

“How was your flight?”

“My flight?” Buffy repeated. Yes, Buffy tell her that you got drunk and possibly got raped. But instead, she said, “Fine.”

“I’m glad. I heard from your father that you lost your connection. Is everything ok?”

“Yeah.”

“So where are you right now?”

“At a hotel.”

“Hotel? Why? He couldn’t receive his own daughter in his house? What’s wrong with your father? It’s all her fault, that woman…”

“It's fine, mom, I’m ok.”

“It's just that… anyway… I'd better go now. Be good, ok, honey? Here is Dawn.”

“Hello, Buffy,” a girl’s voice said.

“Hi, Dawnie.”

“How is everything? Tell me about dad. Is everything like super cool? Have you met any cute guys? How about school, is it nice? And how about the weather?"

“Calm down, Dawnie, relax. Everything is fine, dad says hello. I’m leaving tomorrow for school.”

“I miss you already. I know that he says that we are better off without you, but I don’t think so. I really miss you.”

“I miss you, too. Hey, remember what you promised me? You won’t take any crap from him, ok? Call me if you need anything.”

“I promise. I have to go, Buffy. I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

“Bye.”

After that call, she just hopped into bed and cried herself to sleep.