Chapter 6

They arrived at Montreux, which was a beautiful town on the Swiss Riviera between the Alps, the Mont Blanc, the Matterhorn, and dozens of other peaks.

St. George's was only 10 minutes away from downtown Montreux. It was a very charming chalet on the hill, right by the Geneva Lake. There were tennis courts, a pool, a huge gym, a library- all of this surrounded by beautiful nature.

They had an appointment with Miss Gray, headmaster of the institution. She was an older woman, probably in her mid 50’s, with a cold expression. She had been at the institution for over 25 years now. She explained that St. George's was the first British public school to be established in Switzerland. During the past seventy years, they had established a world-wide reputation as an international girls' boarding school. The school also encouraged academic excellence while at the same time fostering individual talents in the arts and on the sports field. They had a closely monitored house and tutor system with small classes to ensure individual attention to suit each pupil's needs and development. She also made it pretty clear what discipline meant to the school.

Buffy had to admit she was impressed. Maybe this was the opportunity she had been waiting for. This was a clean start, and this place was amazing. Her dad truly cared about her- not only because this place cost a fortune, but he made an effort to bring her here so they could be closer, and that meant the world to her.

“Miss Summers, I want you to remember that you are a very special case. We have a long waiting list. However, considering who your father is, we decided to make an exception for you. I hope you don’t disappoint us.”

“I’ll do my best.”

“I hope so. I’ll introduce you now to your tutor. She is an excellent student who will not only be your roommate, but she will also guide you until you get familiar with the system. We thought it would be better if we assigned you to an American tutor. You will be placed in a dorm with a large percentage of native English speakers. However, we encourage you to socialize with girls from different nationalities.”

“That sounds good, right, honey?”

“Yes, that’s fine by me.”

“Good. Miss Rosenberg, please come in. I would like to introduce you to our new student, Miss Buffy Summers, and her father, Mr. Hank Summers.”

A cute readhead came in. She had a goofy, friendly look.

“Hello, nice meeting you, Mr. Summers, Buffy.” She shook both of their hands. “I’m Willow. Welcome to St. George's.”

“Hi, Willow, nice meeting you, too.”

“Miss Rosenberg, will you show her around while I speak to her father?”

“Ok.”

“I’ll see you in your room in a little bit, hon. And by the way, nice meeting you, Willow.”

“Same here, Mr. Summers.”

The two girls left the office.

“So, Buffy, you are from California?”

“Yes, L.A. actually. How about you?”

“I’m from Michigan, so I’m kinda used to this weather, but you must be freezing.”

“I’m ok.”

“You are going to like it here. Teachers are great, and they have the most amazing science program, and the labs are unbelievable, I should take you… sorry, I tend to talk too much when I’m nervous."

“It’s ok. Although, I’m not really into science.”

“Oh, no problem, they have an art program, and a drama club, and…”

“It's ok, I’m not really into school that much.”

“Oh.”

“But I’m willing to change.”

“Good, Buffy, I’ll help you.”

Willow showed Buffy the school. It was a really beautiful- flowers everywhere and a breathtaking view of the lake and mountains. She felt like she was in a fairy tale.

“This is our hall. I think you’ll like it, and there are a lot of American and British girls here.”

“It looks nice.”

“And this is our room.”

As Buffy walked inside, she realized it wasn’t a big room. Probably as big as her room back home. There were two twin beds with a night table and two desks. But the best thing was the view they had.

As they were getting settled, two girls walked in, one of them tall and brunette, and the other blond and about her height.

“So, this is the new girl?” the tall brunette asked.

“Hi, Cordelia. Yes, this is Buffy. She just got here from L.A.,” Willow said.

“Buffy, huh? I’m Cordelia Chase, and this is Harmony.”

“Hi,” Harmony giggled.

“Hello, nice meeting you, Cordelia, Harmony.”

“So, why are you here, Buffy? Is it true what they are saying about you? That you were sent here because you were involved in a huge sex scandal back home?” Cordelia said with a smile on her face.

“Well, I honestly don’t feel like talking about it, especially since I don’t know you, and I don’t see how that would be any of your business,” Buffy responded as she kept looking around, trying to act like it was not a big deal. But inside, she was very sad to know that no matter what, her past would always haunt her.

“Oh my God! So it’s true. Hey, relax, there’s no reason for you to be mad. That is so cool! Nothing ever happens around here.”

“I suppose.”

“I want details. Come on, don’t be so shy and mysterious. Who was he? Was he hot? Is it true he was a teacher? He wasn’t old and ugly, right?”

“Fine. No, he wasn’t ugly and old. He was sort of a teacher. He was the 25 year old hot football coach. So, as you can see, it’s not as juicy as you thought it was.”

“Are you kidding me? That’s hot. You little whore. Anyway, welcome to this fancy jail. It's not so bad if you hang with the right people.” Looking at Willow, “Meaning me, of course.”

“Fine, thanks anyway…”

Suddenly, they heard knocking on the door, and all the girls turned to see a very handsome man coming in.

“Buffy, honey, may come in?”

“Dad, please do.”

“I’m here to give you your stuff and say goodbye.”

“Already?”

“I’m afraid so, honey.”

“Hi, I’m Cordelia Chase. You must be Buffy’s dad.”

“Oh, I’m sorry, where are my manners? I’m Hank Summers, nice meeting you. Did you say Chase?"

“Yes.”

“Are you related to Thomas Chase?”

“Yeah, he is my dad.”

“Your dad and I work together. He was actually the one who recommended the school to me. I’m glad to see that you and Buffy will be friends.”

“Great,” Buffy said bitterly.

Buffy, Hank, and Willow brought the rest of Buffy’s stuff inside. Willow decided to give Buffy some time alone with her father so she could say good-bye.

“But, daddy, you said you were going to stay overnight."

“I know, honey, but Lilah just called. She says it’s important.”

“Sure, Lilah. Go running back to her. Don’t let me keep you any longer.”

“Honey, please don’t make this any harder. Besides, you seem to have a good thing going here. You have to get used to this place as soon as possible. But I promise I’ll be in touch. Maybe you could come next weekend, and we could spend some time together. How’s that?”

“I guess. At your place?”

“Mmm, sure, why not. I’m sure Lilah would be glad. We have an extra room that we could fix for you, and we could even go furniture shopping so you can decorate that room however you want. Cheer up, honey this is a great opportunity for a clean start.”

“Ok, daddy.”

“Now, give me a hug because I really need to get going.”

“I’ll call you soon, ok?”

“I love you, dad. I promised Dawn that you would call her tonight, ok?”

“I will, honey. I love you. Bye, sweetheart, and good luck.”

“Bye, dad.”

As Buffy watched her father leave, she realized she had never felt so alone. These past few days, she had been on an emotional roller coaster. It just felt so unreal, like it wasn’t happening to her.

Her first night was okay. After she came back to her dorm, she put her stuff away with Willow’s help. Then they went for a walk so she could see the pool, the stables, the tennis court, and Willow’s favorite place- the library. Willow was so excited- she seemed like a very nice girl. After all the tours, they went back to the dorm and ordered some pizza. Since it was Sunday, girls were allowed to have food delivered to their dorms. A bunch of girls gathered together- they all wanted to meet the new girl. So Buffy decided to let go of her sadness and try to have a good time. She talked about California, boys, and clothes.