Chapter 8

After school was over, she found herself back in her room, thinking of the amazing time she had just had in her literature class. It wasn’t only the fact that her teacher was the hottest guy she had ever seen, but for the first time, she understood poetry. It actually made sense, and she liked that. She had to write a paper for his class. It was about choices, and she knew about choices. Unfortunately, it was about bad choices. She sat in front of her laptop, with a beautiful view of the Alps, and began typing from the bottom of her heart.

Over the next few days, Buffy started feeling a lot better. She decided to have a fresh start, and maybe it was time to put her life back together. She got a call from her dad a couple of days ago to invite her to go skiing on the weekend. She was so happy. After all, her dad really cared about her. Maybe this time, things would really be different.

“You seem happy, Buffy,” Willow mentioned to her friend as they were both getting ready.

“Yes, I am. My dad just called to invite me skiing. He sounded happy,” Buffy answered without being able to hide her smile.

“That’s so great, Buffy. You’ll like skiing. Not that I’m any good at it. I usually spend most of the time on the ground. That’s definitely not my sport. Not that I have a sport. I totally suck at sports,” Willow kept babbling. “Your dad seems to be trying, Buffy.”

“Yes, he is.”

“Come on, let’s go before they run out of waffles. Fridays are my favorite days.”

“Ok, Wills, let's go for our waffles.”

She was looking forward to his class. It was a chance to change. Yes, maybe she had done really stupid things, but it was a clean start.

The literature class flew by- it was like whenever he talked, she was somewhere else. She was so into the lecture until the bell broke the spell.

“I’ll see you Monday. Don’t forget to pick up your papers. Have a nice weekend,” William told to his students.

“I wonder how I did?" Cordelia asked. “I hate poetry. I just dot get it.”

“Buffy, come on. We have to hurry if we want to make it on time to the cafeteria. It's pizza day,” Willow said, excited.

Buffy searched for her paper, but she couldn’t find it.

“Go ahead. I just need to find my paper. It's not here.”

“Ok, but hurry up or we’ll loose our chance to pick, and we’ll have to eat the pizza nobody wants,” as Willow left the classroom.

“I believe you are looking for this,” William said to Buffy, holding up her graded paper.

“Yes, I couldn’t find it in the pile,” Buffy said, worried. The fact that he had it could only mean she was in trouble.

“Well, yes. I set it apart because I needed to talk to you about it.”

“Oh! Is it that bad?”

“On the contrary, Buffy, it’s extraordinary. There’s so much feeling in this. You really understood what the author was trying to say,” as he handed her the paper with an A+.

“Wow.”

“Congratulations. I know you are new here, but it seems like you are doing quite okay, at least with me.”

'With him? What is he talking about' Buffy was thinking. 'He obviously means his class. He is so cute. Focus, Buffy. Remember your pact- no more problems, clean start.'

“Thank you, Mr…”

“Hey, I don’t see my father around.”

“Sorry, William.”

“Much better.”

“Looking forward to your next paper.”

“Thank you.”

“I’ll walk you out. I need a cup of tea. So, you are from America?” as he lead the way out.

“Yes, Los Angeles.”

“Oh, sunny California. How are you liking the Alps?”

“It’s beautiful here. So different, so clean.”

“Clean?”

“Yes, well, I mean, no one knows me here. It's like a …”

“Clean start?”

“Kinda.”

“I understand. Although, I must say, you are very young to be needing a clean start.”

“You’d be surprised.”

As they walked through the halls, girls stared jealously at them, wondering what they could possibly be talking about.

“Well, kitten, this is my stop,” he said as they reached the faculty lounge. "Nice talking to you. And don’t worry- you started with your right foot.”

“Huh?”

“Your fresh start.”

“Oh, thanks.”

“Have a nice weekend. I’ll see you on Monday.”

“Ok, same to you.” She was about to say William, but she saw a professor walking by, so she just smiled and said, “Mr. Giles.”

“Good bye, Miss Summers,” he said, smiling back at her