STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 8: Part II ‘The Whole Package’


Buffy was happy, okay, she was contented in Cheyenne. Funny thing about happiness, Mammy Buffy used to say, “happiness is an apple pie, each little slice of the pie is contentment. If you can have contentment, a piece at a time, then you’ll get the whole pie of happiness, eventually.” (okay, hokey, hokey, hokey!)

The little school teacher had survived the first month of regular school and it was going onto late September now. Cordelia Rayne, before the middle of August, had predicted an Indian Summer and apparently, the knowing woman was right. Even now, almost the end of September and the rather hot weather had held.

Which was probably why Buffy had saddled Cloud and ridden off to a the nearby river, well more of a really wild creek, but deep enough to bathe in. It was hot, well over the normal temperature, so Buffy had been told, for that time of year and this being a fine Saturday late morning, she decided to ride Cloud to a secluded spot she had found before.

For some reason, earlier that morning, Buffy had searched out Riley Finn and cancelled their regular supper engagement at the Cheyenne Diner. If he was hurt or dissapointed, Riley certainly didn’t show any sign of it. He just smiled politely and tipped his hat at Buffy, then went about his business like any other day.

‘Wonder if Riley is bothered by the walk Spike and I took about town the other day?’ she thought as she tied Cloud to a pine tree and began to quickly divest her body of her riding habit.

Every busy body, snoop or gossip in town must have seen Buffy and Spike strolling, arm in arm about Cheyenne, talking about nothing in particular. Not that Buffy was really concerned by Riley’s insecurity, even slow Riley must have realized that Spike offerred a true threat to him.

Again, Buffy was not really concerned about Riley’s insecurities or doubts, no man owned her. Not Riley and not even Spike Giles, at least not really…..

Buffy had an open invitation to the Gile’s ranch, every Sunday and she was sure that Riley realized that she was not just going out there to visit with Rupert and Jenny. Spike and Connor, or Angel always accompanied her out and back by sunset of course, so everyone, who was anyone in Cheyenne was well aware that Buffy was being courted by Spike also.

As she shrugged out of her blouse and stripped down to her pantelettes, glancing about to make sure she was totally alone, Buffy thought about her suppers at the Giles, warmly. She dipped her right foot into the cool, inviting water and shivered in delight, “mmmmm” she sighed as she slipped into the water up to her upper chest. Good thing she ‘was’ alone, Buffy had stripped down to only her pantelettes, nothing more; from waist up, she was stark naked.

Swimming out into the cool, blue water, Buffy let the current sweep over and about her body, easing the tension in her and cooling off her heated flesh.

“Well,” came a deep British voice from the sandy bank, “there’s a lovely sight now.”

Buffy’s eyes flew open and she spied Spike sitting on Demon, just a few feet from the water’s edge, his patent smirk on his handsome face.

“What are you doing here?” Buffy gasped as she threw her arms across her bare chest, protectively, even though it was submerged in the water.

“Following you, Princess,” Spike chuckled as he slipped off his horse and tied Demon’s reigns onto the same pine tree that Cloud was secured to. The huge black stallion immediately nuzzled up to his Palimino love, causing Buffy to soften her demeanor.

“Gosh,” she sighed, dreamily, watching the two horses actually cuddle with each other, even as Spike began to methodically strip his clothing off of himself.

“What are you doing!” Buffy gasped again, eying Spike warily as he stripped down to his shorts.

“Taking a bath in the river,” he said simply as he sauntered into the cool water to join her.

“Get out of here!” she cried desperately, searching about for an escape route and finding none. The only way out was to go was right past Spike and Buffy wasn’t going there, not for a million dollars!

“Why?” Spike asked innocently, “it’s a free country. You Yanks won the war, remember? Can’t I bathe where I want? Thought your founding Fathers made sure that every man, woman and child got to pursue happiness and all that rot. That only apply to natural born Americans?”

Buffy was blushing bright red, so bright in fact that she felt like her face was on fire.

“Spike,” she hissed, backing further into the river and the current, “I’m warning you, get out of here. And, what ‘are’ you doing here anyway?”

Buffy was angry, yes, but she was something else too, a feeling deep down inside of her that she’d never felt before and it terrified her.

“Told you,” Spike said with a straight face, “I’m joining you for a swim, a bath, a well, whatever. I followed you, of course, because you insist on flying in the face of danger and good sense. I mean, Princess, you don’t just ride off into the prairie. Especially with trash like the Websters and God knows who else running around here. Riley Finn might be overcome with lust and attack you, after all. Can’t have that, can we?”

Spike grinned at Buffy, who averted her green eyes from him and backed another foot out into the water. “I wouldn’t do that, luv,” Spike advised in earnest, “any farther and I’ll have to save your luscious little arse from the dreaded North Fork current. I don’t mind, of course, but the folks in Cheyenne might be a bit disconcerted, their virtuous school teacher coming back half dressed, half drowned, carried by me, the scoundrel that I am.”

Buffy rolled her eyes and sighed in exasperation. “I don’t suppose that if I ask you to turn your head, let me get out and dress that you’ll abide by my request?” Her question was filled with hope, but it sounded a bit wistful, or so she thought anyway.

Spike smirked at Buffy and winked, “no, I don’t suppose I would do that,” he chuckled. “But, I’ll be glad to fetch your clothes for you, as long as you meet me on the bank, that is, so I can hand them over to you,” he added with another smirk.

Buffy stood up to her full 5’1” height and stuck out her defiant chin, “you, Spike, are a pig!” she stated firmly as she tried to slip past him and out of the water.

“Oink!” he retorted and grabbed her arm just as she passed by him, pulling her to his wet, icy body. “Tell, me something, Buffy,” Spike rasped even while he clung to her half naked body, possessively, their eyes locked together, “when the good Riley Finn, Deputy of the Righteous, Idiot of Idiots kisses you, do you feel like this?”

Before she could answer, Spike crushed his cool lips on hers and began to ravish her mouth hungrily.

‘No,’ Buffy thought, or didn’t think at least rationally, ‘I don’t feel anything like this, but then again, Riley never kisses me like this, not ever.’

It was true, the closest kiss Riley ever gave Buffy was a chaste peck on her hand or cheek. “Uhm, I…”Buffy tried to say something, her mouth muffled against Spike’s the way it was.

“I’ll answer for you,” Spike mumbled when he broke away from the kiss, reluctantly, “you don’t feel a bloody thing for Riley Finn and you know it.”

Before Buffy could give any kind of response, defend herself, her virtue, any of it, Spike swept her up in his strong arms and strode out of the water with her. They never broke their next kiss, Buffy tried not to remember that she was bare from her waist up and Spike, who was headed towards Demon with a purpose, didn’t utilize her vulnerable nakedness in his favor. Why should he? He could do that in a moment or two, after he had ripped the blanket roll from Demon’s saddle with his right hand, holding Buffy up with his left arm.

In one movement, he unfurled the blanket and lowered Buffy down onto the wool material, covering her with his own damp half naked body.

“Spike, I….” Buffy stammered, finally as he covered her with his body and pulled the blanket about them, shielding them from the air.

“You what?” he asked her with his honest blue eyes. “I, we, you and me, we can’t do this,” Buffy murmered, burying her face into his neck, too embarrassed to face him at the moment.

“Do what, Princess,” he whispered as he licked the drops of river water from her face and neck. “Touch each other? Kiss each other, feel each other, together?”

Buffy tensed up and began to tremble against Spike’s body, “any of it,” she groaned against him.

“I won’t do anything you don’t want me to, Buffy,” he assured her, bringing her chin up so her green eyes could meet his blue ones. “I just want to be close to you right now, sweetheart, please let me be. I’ve waited for so long. Just to be with you, alone, like this.”

She searched his beautiful indigo eyes for the truth and found it, he was being honest with her. Spike just wanted to be together, alone and close, even if they were both wet as drowned rats, though, Buffy was feeling quite vulnerable and very ‘cozy’ with him right now.

“Hmmm,” Buffy hummed as she allowed him to kiss her once again, “so long? Spike,” she sighed against his mouth, “we’ve known each other for less then three months. That’s not long, it’s a second in time.”

“Not to me,” Spike whispered against her cheek, nuzzling her with his mouth, “to me I’ve waited a life time for you. Things happen fast out here Buffy, it doesn’t matter if you’ve known each other a week or a year, if you’re meant to be, that’s it. You are.”

Buffy snuggled up into him and Spike felt a surge of hope shoot through him, “I followed you for this, Buffy,” he admitted, running his tongue down her jaw to her neck, enjoying her purrs of pleasure, “I watched you and followed you out here. To make sure you were all right, true enough, but also because I want you, need you and you need me, Buffy. You just don’t know it yet. But I said it before, I can be patient where you’re concerned, and I have been, will continue to be. When it’s time, when you’ve come to the conclusion that you and I do belong together, it’ll happen.”

“Just snuggling, then?” she asked shyly, with huge emerald eyes.

Spike felt a major tug at his heart and swallowed hard before he responded, huskily, “just snuggling, if that’s all you want to do…for now anyway.”

Buffy smiled softly and buried her head into his chest, allowing him access to her damp golden hair with his right hand, while his left arm spooned about her tiny waist and held her to him. He tried not to think, too much, about how their chests pressed against each others, or that she had beautiful, large breasts for such a little thing. Her heartbeat matched his in rhythm and he almost felt like they could fall asleep together, right there, to the music that their hearts and surrounding nature provided them. Spike felt Buffy’s golden lashes,half closed against his now warm skin and realized that he’d never felt so comfortable or complete in his life. Nuzzling his lips into the top of her soft golden head, he fought to keep his eyes completely open; they were out in the open country for God’s sake, anyone could wander by.

‘Yeah, right,’ he chuckled in his head, ‘you made damn sure no one would wander by, didn’t you Spike.’ When Buffy sighed in contentment against his neck, that’s when Spike’s dilema, the battle in his head , really began.

On one side of his mind, his Saint or ‘good Spike’ oh hell, his conscious he supposed, was just gushing: “you should be proud of yourself, Spike. Stay patient, Buffy’ll come around then you can have everything you want. Her, your life together, a passel of little rug rats, everything you see in your future when you look at her!”

But, on the other hand, or side of his mind, his ‘Devil’s advocate’ or ‘dark Spike’ sneered at him, taunted him: “oh bloody hell, mate! Are you a man or a mouse? Take her right now! She’s so fucking close, all’s you have to do is slip those dainty little knickers off of her, talk her into spreading those long lush legs and bury your cock right into that heat ‘we’ feel coming from her sweet little cunny. I mean, Spikey old boy, just think of it…..say you take her now? Maybe you get lucky and she gets pregnant the first go? You’re in like a shot (pun here) and she’ll have to marry you then, right? Come on…” dark Spike chuckled evilly, “just cajole the little beauty into letting you in. You don’t ‘have’ to force her, just sweet talk her into it. Fuck, you’re both half naked now! Think how easy it would be to just ease right into her, make her yours. Come to think of it, I’m demanding that you shag her senseless! I’m part of this too…hey, but first suck her neck until you leave your mark on her, show your claim once and for all. Such a delicious little neck, innit it? So inviting, but think how inviting her…”

‘Christ!’ Spike hissed silently, ‘would both of you just shut the fuck up and let me rest!’

The Saint and Sinner sides of his tired mind finally shut their mouths and Spike went back to resting with Buffy, cuddling her even closer to him, breathing in the scent of her golden hair that splayed across his chest.

“This is nice,” she sighed again and he could feel her little smile against his neck, even as he felt her warm, inviting bare breasts against his chest.

“That it is sweetheart,” Spike murmered into her ear, smiling softly against her cheek.

Buffy lay so still against Spike, she never felt so secure or safe in her life, not ever before. Spike just held her close and stroked her hair softly, murmering such nice things in her ear. Without warning, his hand slipped form her damp hair and brushed against her breast lightly, causing her to near moan in pleasure. Before she could stop herself, Buffy sighed deeply, and snuggled against Spike even more, which, unfortunately, must have given him the wrong signal.

He reached back up and began to trace small circles, light as feathers, around her nipple, apparently thinking that she would continue to moan in delight.

“Oh, Good Lord!” she cried in horror, “what are we doing?” Buffy pulled away from Spike violently and bolted up out of the blanket, too ashamed of herself to even look back down at him. She ran for her clothes that she’d left folded on a nearby bush, not even taking time to cover her bare chest properly with her arms.

“Oh, God,” she groaned as she slipped on her chamise, finally daring a look at Spike who had also left the warmth of the blanket and was headed straight for her.

“Do you mind telling me what the bloody hell that was about!” he growled at her as she cringed back from him.

“That was me being stupid,” she explained, reaching for her blouse and riding skirt. “Stupid, stupid, stupid, Buffy!” she chanted as she slipped on her blouse and skirt quickly, searching about for her boots.

“Stupid?” he asked, his arms crossed over his own bare chest, “why, cos’ we were enjoying each other?”

Buffy rolled her eyes and picked up the boots from nearby, pulling them on one at a time, even as she stood.

“You wouldn’t understand,” she explained roughly with a shake of her head. “I’m not one of Maggie’s girls, Spike,” she sighed, unable to look at him, again, “I can’t roll around in a blanket with you, paid or not, that makes me a whore. Simple as that. And, I’m not a whore.”

She stared him straight in the eyes when she made that little announcement, making sure he understood where she was coming from.

“I see,” Spike growled again, as he grabbed her slim arm in his strong hand, “you think, I think you’re a whore then?”

Buffy didn’t struggle from him, just looked at the ground, red faced and ashamed. “I didn’t say that you think I’m a whore, Spike,” she answered softly, still focusing on her booted toes.

“Well I hope to bloody hell not!” he cried harshly, pulling her chin up to meet his eyes.

Her green eyes were damp with tears and it hurt him to see her like this, so torn and confused, for whatever reason. There was something deep inside his Buffy, some old hurt or loss, besides her young husband’s death that was troubling her, causing her to not be able to go on in her life, as she should. ‘I’ve an idea, Missy,’ he thought silently, ‘I’ve a real idea what it is that hurts you so, stops you from getting closer to me. But, I can deal with it. I will deal with it and I’ll help you get over it, I swear.’

“Buffy,” he murmered, gazing into her emerald eyes, “I’m going to say something to you, tell you something and it’s important that you understand, believe me. Okay?”

She looked at him shyly, another blush covered her face and neck, but she nodded that she would do as he said.

“Okay,” Spike began softly, “I’m not interested in saloon girls or any other girl besides you. As far as Maggies and the whores there, men go there, pay for sex, mere business transactions, that’s all. I don’t want paid for sex, Buffy, not anymore. For the record, I haven’t been to Maggies, or any other place, for ‘that’ since the afternoon I kissed you in your kitchen. The day we moved you in. I want you, the whole package, not just a tumble in the hay with you, but everything that goes with marriage, family and home. Do you believe me?”

He held his breath and kept her gaze with his. Just as he was about to give up any hope of getting all this through to her, she delighted him by nodding her head and whispering shyly, “yes, I believe you.”

“Okay then,” he sighed in relief, tucking her loose hair behind her right ear tenderly, “that settled, I’m going to say something else. I don’t want you seeing Riley Finn anymore, at all, actually, but since you are going to do what you want, stubborn little chit that you are, I don’t expect you’ll listen to me. Will you?”

Buffy shook her head, “no, Spike, I’m sorry, but Riley does respect me, he’s a good man. Bit of an intolerant man, I’ll grant you that, but he’s had a hard life and a sad childhood. I don’t just want to hurt the poor guy, send him off when he has done nothing wrong to me.”

Spike nodded his head slowly, trying to fight the jealous anger that rushed up to his throat, “okay, I’ll ‘have’ to accept that, but….” And now he sighed again, still trying to calm his jealousy down, say the right things to Buffy, “but just know this. When you finally realize what a hopeless idiot Riley is, how he’s not the right guy for you, that ‘I’ am, then I’ll be waiting. Again, I’m learning a lot of patience because of you and I’ll wait for you, forever, if I have to. Do you understand ‘that’ Buffy?”

Buffy couldn’t speak, she just nodded again, keeping her eyes averted from Spike’s gorgeous, honest blue ones.

“Okay,” she whispered, “but Spike, I don’t think we, you and I should be alone, ‘alone’ again for a while. I seem to lose my common sense when you’re about and a friend or family member is not close by. Do you understand that?”

Spike sighed loudly, then chuckled, forcing her chin up to make her meet his gaze again, “I understand. Don’t like it, hate it actually, but I understand. Like I said, Princess, I can be patient and wait. However, you ‘are’ coming for dinner tomorrow right? I’ll even bring Wesley and Dru with me to escort you out to the ranch. They’re leaving next week, back to England and Dru will just kill me if I’ve ruined your visits to the ranch by my rather, uhm, brutish behavior?”

Buffy smiled up at him, he was trying to be so nice, so gentlemanly, so ‘safe’ for her at least.

“Of course I’m coming to say goodbye to Dru and Wesley,” she assured him with a giggle as she slipped out of his grasp. Mounting Cloud she waved a spry goodbye to Spike and trotted off home, “see you and yours tomorrow, Spike!” she called back to him as she rode off.

Spike watched the love of his life ride off from him, her long golden hair flying in the wind as she spurred Cloud on.

“Christ,” he sighed deeply, fishing about in his pocket for a smoke, “chit’s gonna’ be the death of me!”

He realized at that moment that he had never put any of his clothes back on and the thought made him grin. As he lit the cigarette and took his first drag, Spike thought about Buffy, snuggled up against him, their bare chests pressed so close together.

‘Perfect,’ he murmered to himself, ‘absolutely perfect. A perfect fit, she is to me.’

He picked up the rest of his clothes and began to dress slowly, smirking all the while, “but she is definitely going to be the death of me!”



A/N: Long chapter, most of them probably will be. Please stay with the story, I promise it will get better and more exciting, more Spuffy to come. Thanks for reading and please review. Luv, Spuf