STAKE YOUR CLAIM



Chapter 9: Part II ‘Family’


A/N: I’m speeding things up a bit here, going ahead in time by days and weeks. If I don’t, this fiction will end up longer than my last ones! Thanks,
Luv, S


Buffy Summers waited nervously in the Cheyenne Train Station office, her eyes strained out to the East, searching for the next train. Daniel Osbourne sat behind his desk doing some kind of paper work, but occasionally glanced up at Buffy, giving her his big grin, “it’s hard to wait, in the end, huh?” he chuckled warmly.

She nodded impatiently, “yes, but it’s more then that Daniel,” she admitted shyly, “I’m still not sure that Papa is going to bring Dawn out here, then ‘not try’ to talk me into going right back with them. I never did tell anyone at home about the train robbery that happened while I was headed here.”

Rupert and Jennifer Giles took that moment to come into the station office, followed by Spike and Angel. Connor was still outside, standing on some crates by the tracks, staring off into the East in search of the train that was bringing Hank Summers, Joyce and Dawn to Cheyenne.

It still amazed Buffy that she had actually convinced Papa and Mama to bring Dawn to her to live for a while. Apparently Buffy’s parents had been completely duped by the scare tactics that Dawnie had employed in her ruse to get out here. Buffy suspected that this had been her little sister’s motive all along, that the acting thing was just a ploy to force her folks into choosing the lesser of two evils for their darling Dawnie.

“Little sneak,” Buffy giggled to herself about Dawnie, as she greeted Rupert and Jennifer, smiled at Angel then finally blushed at Spike.

“Thank you so much for coming,” she said to the four Gile’s in front of her, “it means so much to me, to my family. I don’t know how I’ll ever repay your kindness.”

Spike chuckled and mumbled something under his breath, while Rupert choked a bit and Angel just smirked. Jennifer shot her husband ‘a look’ that Buffy couldn’t quite put her finger on, but it was definitely ‘a warning look’ of some kind.

“Train should be here on time,” Daniel piped in as he checked his watch, “they wired ahead, no problems this time.”

Buffy sighed in relief and grinned at Rupert and Jennifer, “if those train robbers show up on this one, Papa will absolutely drag me back to Tennessee kicking and screaming!” she finished with a half joking giggle.

“Like to see him try,” Spike muttered softly, but everyone in the little station house had heard him.

“Spike, I was only kidding…” Buffy began with a laugh, but was interrupted by Connor bounding into the depot office.

“It’s coming!” he crowed in delight, “I can see it from here!” The young man practically skipped back out of the depot and trotted back over to take his position on the crates again.

“Well,” Buffy giggled, “I guess Connor’s as excited as I am that Dawnie’s coming to stay for a while.”

Then a slight frown of concern flashed across her face, ‘we’re going to have to watch those two,’ she surmissed about her little sister and Connor. Everyone in the train depot office joined Connor Giles by the tracks, the train coming closer into view.

Buffy stood in between Jennifer and Spike, nervously biting her lower lip. When she felt Spike’s large hand reach over and take hers, giving it a tender squeeze, she stopped biting her lip and smiled softly, a tingle went up her spine.

“It’s gonna’ be fine, Princess,” Spike murmered to her softly.

“Hope so,” Buffy smiled back up at him, noticing the look of pure affection in those indigo eyes of his.

The train pulled into the station, interrupting the ‘moment’ between Spike and Buffy, causing her to jump and drop his hand.

Almost before the train pulled to a complete stop, Dawn Lee Summers practically leapt from the train steps and into Buffy’s waiting arms.

“Oh, Buffy!” she cried dramatically, “I have missed you so much!” Then leaning into her shorter sister’s ear, Dawnie whispered, “thank you, thank you. I was simply dying in that awful town!”

Buffy hugged her sister, yes, but then she pulled back and said with a smirk, “maybe you ‘should’ have joined the troupe, Dawnie, you certainly put on a good act. You have real talent.”

Dawn grinned proudly, “I know,” she chuckled.

Spying Connor behind Buffy, Dawn pulled out of her sister’s arms and flung herself into his. Poor Connor was dumbfounded, but pleased non-the-less at the overt display his female friend made over him.

“H..Hi, Miss Dawn,” he stammered shyly, grinning from ear to ear.

“Where’s Papa and Mama?” Buffy asked, peering up into the open train door.

“Oh,” sighed Dawnie in exhasperation, “Papa’s in there arguing with the Porter, says the train ride took longer then a week, and wants to know why! You know him.”

Buffy giggled and nodded, then proceeded to introduce Dawn to Angel and Spike Giles and Daniel Osbourne. Dawn smiled at the two handsome men, giving Spike a quick grin, “yes,” she turned to Connor.

“They definitely belong together,” the younger girl grinned happily.

Spike began to laugh and Buffy blushed red as blood, “Dawn Summers…”

Right then, Joyce Summers called from the train door, “Buffy, my baby!”

She hurried down the steps, followed by Hank who tried very hard not to look too excited to see his oldest child, but failed miserably.

‘One Week Later’

It wasn’t that Buffy Summers did not love her parents, quite the contrary, she adored them both. However, after one week of being under her Father’s protective eye, once again, Buffy was sadly, quite prepared to see them off back home to Tennessee for a while. When her folks had arrived with Dawnie, of course, everyone went back to the Gile’s Ranch for supper and to get acquainted.

That had gone just fine, especially since Papa and Mama already knew Rupert, Jennifer and young Connor Giles. For some reason, Papa hit it off right away with Spike and for the next week, he couldn’t say anything but wonderful things about him. Almost as if Hank Summers immediately hand picked Spike for Buffy’s future mate.

Hank was not the least bit interested in Riley Finn, especially for his darling daughter’s husband. However, Papa did seem to like Riley, just did not think he was right for Buffy and he made no secret of his feelings.

“You might think of buying in with Saul Rosenberg, Hank,” Rupert Giles had suggested amicably over brandy and cigars at the Ranch.

“Cheyenne is expanding by leaps and bounds, we could use a new or expanded Mercantile.”

Hank Summers had listened thoughtfully to all of Rupert’s ideas, nodding his head while seriously considering them. Joyce Summers, Buffy, Dawnie and of course Jennifer sat, seperated from the men, chatting and laughing amongst themselves.

Buffy had already began to miss Drusilla who had recently gone back to England with her husband, Lord Rhys-Smythe. It was the night before her parents were to return to their Greenville home, the Summers were again visiting the Gile’s ranch for a goodbye supper.

“What do you think, Elizabeth,” Papa interjected into the ladies conversation, “how about your old Papa becomes partners with Mr. Rosenberg, come visit you all the time?”

Buffy smiled weakly at her Father, “that would be fine, Papa,” she mumbled back, not very convincingly, looking over at Spike who gave her a sympathetic grin. Hank Summers caught the look between Buffy and Spike and for some reason decided to ask another, even more personel question of them both.

“So, young man,” Papa smiled cunningly at Spike, “just what ‘are’ you and my daughter’s intentions for the future?”

Unfortunately, Buffy was just taking a sip of her tea and when Papa had the nerve to ask such a thing in front of everyone, she spit it out, in shock, all over a giggling Dawn that sat across from her. Spike began to laugh, something Buffy was also surprised at and Jennifer jumped up immediately to offer napkins to both her and Dawn.

When Buffy had cleaned herself up and regained her composure, she shot her beloved Father a murderous look and began to deride him when Spike interrupted her before she could start.

“Well, Mr. Summers,” Spike chuckled “I’d marry your daughter tomorrow, I’ve made no secret of that, but she seems to be a little undecided right now. Apparently Riley Finn is giving her some pause to consider himself for marriage, but I….”

Buffy had heard enough, she bolted up out of her chair and stormed over to Spike and her beaming Father.

“Riley Finn seems a bit of nimrod, Spike,” Hank muttered, “I can’t see him occupying my intelligent Buffy’s attention much longer, so I wouldn’t….”

“Papa! Spike! That is enough, both of you!” Buffy almost screamed the words at them.

“How dare you, either of you,” she hissed shaking her finger at them, “even dare to sit there, like two smug horse breeders taking bids and making bets on me like I’m some kind of brood mare!”

Both the men stared at Buffy in wide eyed innocence, Spike was laughing behind his hand, while Papa just shrugged, “I only want what’s best for my daughters, Buffy,” he explained defensively.

“Obviously you know yourself that Riley Finn pales in comparison to such a fine young man as Spike here, I can’t…..”

Buffy stomped her foot angrily on the floor of the parlour, “that’s it,” she huffed heading for the front door, “I’m taking Cloud and the buckboard and going home! And by the way, ‘I’ will be the one to decide what breeder I mate with, not anyone else! Stick that in your pipes and smoke them, all of you!”

Buffy fled through the front door of the Ranch, grabbing her wrap off of the coat rack there, “hope you can see my family home tonight, Mr. Giles she shot at Rupert. Thank you for a lovely evening!” With that, she slammed the door behind her.

“Hank Summers!” Joyce sighed loudly, “I cannot believe that you just embarrassed our full grown daughter and insulted these good people that way. And you,” she glanced at Spike, but gave him a warm smile. “I think,” Joyce continued, “that you had better field this one Spike and stop Buffy before she flees off into the night in her perfected ‘self-righteous indignation’ way.”

Spike nodded at her and hurried out into the night to catch up with Buffy, that is if she wasn’t half way back to town already. He found her hitching up Cloud to the buckboard, wiping tears from her face as she did.

“Dammit!” he heard her curse under her breath, brought a smile to his face. Spike just loved it when Buffy was ‘feisty’ like this, assured him that their life together was never going to be dull.

“Don’t even come another step closer, Spike Giles!” she hissed without turning to see him. “I know that’s you without even looking, I’d know your footsteps anywhere now.”

He couldn’t help himself, he laughed out loud and closed the gap between them, taking Buffy by the left arm to turn her to face him. Buffy’s right hand came up to slap his cheek, but he stopped her with his free right hand.

“I’m not trying to seduce you Princess, at least not here, right now, so let’s drop the pretense that you’re going to slap me and that I’m going to let you. Told you before, save that for when you really need it. However, as I recall, hmmm, just a while back that when I did try to ‘have my way’ with you, you didn’t put up much of a fight, now did you?”

The little love’s face went red with embarrassment, as she tried to pull out of his grasp.

“Let me go,” she ordered angrily, “let me go or I’ll, I’ll shoot you!”

Spike burst out into laughter, “that’s gonna’ be a tad hard, you’re not carrying a gun, luv,” he pointed out.

“Ooooooohhh,” she growled through clenched teeth, her eyes narrowed into emerald green slits, but she stopped struggling against him at least.

“Christ, Buffy,” he murmered seriously, “you’re beautiful, always, but when you’re pissed, you are gorgeous.”

Leaning down to meet her, Spike pressed his lips against hers softly giving her the most chaste kiss, but wrapping her in his strong arms tightly.


Buffy relented and snuggled into his warm embrace, a little ashamed of her weakness in his arms.

“Spike,” she whispered, looking up at him, meeting his loving gaze, “I am not a piece of property, for anyone, not you, not Riley and not my family. I married my first husband because it’s what our parents wanted us to do, Parker’s and mine. If I hadn’t given in so easy, done what I wanted instead, then maybe none of that stuff would have happened in my first marriage. I….”

Spike shushed her with his long, slim finger to her lips, “It’s okay, Princess,” he cooed lowly, “you don’t have to explain why you don’t want to be insulted, embarrassed or talked about like a chattel. I get that, honest. It was wrong of your Father to do that, publicly like, it was wrong of me to encourage him with my responses. But, Buffy,” and he gazed at her with so much seriousness that her eyes grew wide and glowed like green fire.

“I am dead serious about how much I love you and that I want a future with you. I would marry you tomorrow, if you’d have me and I want our own home together, children, lots of them.”

She blushed again, tiny tears spilling out of the corner of her eyes, “I know you do,” she murmered softly, averting her eyes from his. “It’s just, we have not known each other that long Spike, I’m afraid…”

“That’s why I’m going to wait, Princess,” he smiled down at her after he took her chin and pulled her gaze back to his, “forever. If you need time, I’ll accept that, sweetheart.”

The warm smile she rewarded him with pulled at his heart and he fought the urge to kiss her again, a little less chastely this time.

“Look,” he ordered gently, realeasing her from one of his arms, but holding her around her waist with his other one. “See that rather large bluff, way out there?” he asked, pointing to the largest bluff to the north of them in the distance.

“Uh, huh,” she nodded against his shoulder.

“I have a little cabin there,” he continued, trying not to sound too proud. “It’s not much, Buffy,” he tilted his head to settle it on top of hers, “but it’s mine only. I go there to be alone sometimes, when I need to think about things. Like I said it’s not much, but it could be, that is if you and I wanted to settle there. To be honest, I own over half the land on that bluff, just me. I thought, maybe, after we’re married of course, you’d like to live there with me, raise a bunch of brats of our own. I know it’s too soon, like I said, I’ll wait, give you all the time you need, but consider it will you?”

He hoped he didn’t look too much like a poncey school boy, desperate for a hug or kiss from the her.

Buffy reached up and stroked Spike’s left cheek softly, gently running her fingers down to rest on his lovely lips.

“Well,” she murmered shyly, “thank you for giving me time to think about things. I really do need that, William. And I bet your cabin is lovely and perfect and I’m glad you have someplace to go, to be by yourself and think as you put it.”

She smiled soflty up at him, “and I will go back into the house with you, my temper in check now, and finish visiting with your family and mine.”

Spike took her by the hand and led her back into his ranch slowly, “but I’m still pretty miffed at Papa,” she giggled next to him as he opened the front door for her, a big grin on his handsome face.

“I can’t wait to find out how Mama scolded him!”


A/N: Another longish chapter! I’m trying to catch up on this and my other fiction I started. Thanks for reading, please review. Luv, Spuf