STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 11: ‘It’s Hard to be a Female’


Spike sat with his Father, brothers, Ethan Rayne, Daniel Osbourne and Saul Rosenberg, drinking his Dad’s best brandy with the men. However, his mind was on the other side of the parlour, where Buffy sat, surrounded by friends and family. There, Buffy did it again, she just giggled joyfully at something Willow Rosenberg said while she balanced her newborn son on her lap.

In fact, right that moment, all of the females began to laugh or giggle at whatever Willow had said and all chose to look over at their men. Buffy blushed, as usual, when she caught Spike staring at her, smiling like a boy at his first dance.

‘God I’m an idiot over that woman!’ Spike chided himself, unable to pull his eyes away from Buffy, noting she wasn’t too quick to pull hers away from him, either.

As tactfully as possible, as not to embarrass Buffy, Spike looked over at the front door of the house then back at her. Hoping that Buffy would take the hint that it was time for their private ‘talk’ they had briefly discussed before Thangsgiving Supper.

Now that supper was over, the pie had been eaten, the coffee, gallons of it drank, the Gile’s guests had taken to the parlour to relax and chat. Buffy had been aloof with him, Spike felt, for the entire day and evening, sitting next to him at Supper, as requested, but keeping her distance all the same. It hurt him, deeply, as he had thought they had passed that awkward stage of their courtship.

Oddly enough, right at that moment, he heard Tara Rosenberg say quite clearly, “I think Spike needed to speak with you Buffy, uhm, about Cloud? His stallion?”

Buffy blushed bright red again, giving Spike the chance to chuckle at the beautiful sight, a sight he’d never tire of.

“Oh,” Buffy seemed to drawl, “Oh!” she jumped up from the little chair she occupied. “Right, talk, the horses, I remember now.”

Shooting Tara a look Spike couldn’t quite describe, she hurried to the coat rack by the front door and reached for her wrap, “Spike?” she turned to look at him.

“Right, Buffy, luv,” he piped up, “we need to discuss those horses.”

He thought he heard Dawnie giggle and whisper, “yeah, horses, right,” as they left together through the front door.

Buffy was as nervous as a sixteen-year-old belle at her first cottillion, but she allowed Spike to place her wrap about her shoulders and follow her outdoors for privacy’s sake.

“First time I’ve got you alone in weeks,” Spike purred as he possessively took her arm.

She let him spin her around slowly and pull her flush to his body, wrapping his long, strong arms about her.

“I thought we decided that it was best for you and I ‘not’ to be really alone together, Spike,” she sighed, burying her head in his chest.

“No, Princess,” he snorted, “you decided it was for the best. I hate the idea of all this chaperoning we have. It’s ridiculous as far as I’m concerned, we are two grown people for God’s sake.”

She frowned and scrunched her brows, “now please don’t be cross or crude, Spike,” she whimpered, “it is Thanksgiving.”

He grinned at her, immediately melting her anger at him away and causing that tingly feeling to shoot up her spine, yet again.

“Yes,” he sighed, nuzzling her forehead with his, “it is Thanksgiving and I’ve got a bloody hell of a lot to be thankful for. Best day of my life was when you stepped off that train, all high and mighty. Just begging for me to kiss you and….”

Buffy gasped in shock, “I never! I never ever begged you to kiss me! Ever!”

Spike laughed and ran his finger, gently, down her nose to the tip, “yes you did, Princess,” he assured her. “Your emerald green eyes, so full of fire, they were what begged me to kiss you, someday that is. So, I did, first chance I got.”

She tried to carry on in mock anger, but it was a losing battle, Spike was just so darn handsome, and funny and so very, very smart. Truth was, Spike Giles read Buffy like a book and saw through every one of her coy remarks and actions.

“Well,” she pouted up at him, not surprised at all when he leaned in to kiss her warmly. “Mmmmm,” she sighed before she could stop herself.

“Yeah,” he whispered, “mmmm is right, sweetheart.”

He began to kiss her a little more deeply and Buffy had to force herself to stop him with a gentle push to his chest.

“Spike,” she hissed, bright red from slight shame, “we can’t do this here. What will your guests think? Your family?”

Spike seemed to ponder her question for a moment, “they’ll think, damn but Spike is a lucky bloke! At least the men will.”

Buffy gently slapped his chest, but giggled, “well, I’m flattered, I think anyway,” she admitted. “But Spike,” she grew serious, “I really do need to talk to you. About Connor and Dawnie that is.”

Spike’s expression must have grown serious too, he raised his left, scarred brow and seemed to think on what Buffy had just said.

“Yeah, I know,” he muttered, looking back up at the house. “They’re a little too cozy with each other, isn’t that what you’re thinkin’ luv?”

Buffy nodded at him and broke away from his embrace, leaving his arms feeling terribly lonely at the loss of contact.

“Dawn’s way too young to have feelings like, well, like I think she may be developing for Connor. Connor too, I know your Father is considering college for him, if Dawn and he become too….”

Spike walked up to her and reached out to tuck a strand of her golden hair behind her ear, “I know what you’re saying Buffy,” he nodded, “Connor is completely smitten with Dawn and apparently visa versa. I think it would be best if everyone involved made bloody sure that those two were never, ever left alone together. Don’t get me wrong, Dawn’s a fine girl, actually she’s exactly who I would choose for Connor, but they are too young and naïve about life.”

Buffy shook her pretty golden head and leaned back into him, her body so nicely warm and toasty for such a cold night.

“Yes,” she sighed, “best if they are not left alone together, too dangerous and all.”

Spike wrapped his arms back around her waist, pulling her back closer to his body, “too dangerous, I think you are right about that, dear,” he murmered in her ear. He nuzzled his lips into the top of her fragrant, soft head, “too dangerous,” he repeated hazily, “just like you, Princess. In your soft, silky golden party dress, all desirable and dangerous.

You know, when you wear your hair down, like this,” he ran his fingers through her golden tresses, “it just drives me crazy, Buffy. Makes me wanna’ bunch your golden locks in my fingers, pull your head aside and expose that gorgeous silky neck of yours to my mouth. You do it on purpose, don’t you, my sweet, wear your hair down about your shoulders to draw me in? Make me want to take you somewhere private like, lay you down and splay your golden treasure across a pillow or my chest as I…..”

Buffy had succumbed to the vocal and visual lullaby that Spike was purring into her ear as he played with her long hair and ran his lips softly down the side of her neck.

“I, oh, Spike, I do…” She suddenly came to her senses and snapped out of the sensuous haze they both were falling into.

“Spike,” she whispered sadly, “we can’t do this here, now, maybe…”

He spun her around and pulled her so tightly to him that she was almost unable to breathe, “no,” he sighed harshly, “we can’t do this here or now. But someday, Buffy, someday we will be able to.”

Spike pulled her little chin up to meet his gaze, “for you see, my sweet beauty, I will win. You, our life together, everything I see when I look at you, into those emerald eyes of yours. I’ll, we’ll have it all.”

She stared, mesmerized into his sky blue eyes that seemed to stare right down into her very soul, “I, wish,” she began hesitantly, “I wish I could tell you, everything, all of it. Someday maybe,” Buffy sighed wistfully.

“You will,” Spike smiled as he kissed the tip of her funny little nose, “someday, you my sweet Buffy Summers, will be able to tell me everything and anything. And, darling,” he added seriously, still gazing into her eyes, “I will listen to every one of your words.”

Buffy took a deep breath and screwed up her courage, “I think we better join the others,” she stated, somewhat reluctantly, “we’ve been out here way too long and I’m not sure it’s a good role model type thing for Connor and Dawn.”

He nodded as she broke away from his grasp, “okay,” he sighed, “but remember this, Buffy, I love you. Have from the first moment I laid eyes on you and if you think about it, there’s not better role models for young people then happily married couples. We could have that, if you let us. Please let us, Buffy,” he pleaded with his words, his eyes and his heart.

“I want to,” she whispered, turning to walk into the ranch house, “I do, Spike. I just need some more time, to think things out, put things right in my mind. There’s so many things to think about now, you, this place, my Dawnie, new friends and yes, even Riley Finn.”

Spike flinched as if he’d been burned by a hot ember, “Riley Finn is no threat to us,” he growled with determination, once again pulling Buffy close to him.

“Maybe not Spike,” Buffy sighed, “but maybe ‘I am’ in a way. Someday, I can’t promise when, I’ll tell you everything,” she repeated, “then maybe both of us will understand more, really understand each other.” Buffy hurried into the house, Spike followed behind her.

(Later that night, back in town)


The Osbournes dropped Buffy and Dawn off at the little house, Daniel making sure that everything was just fine inside before taking his wife and son home. Cordelia Rayne shooed her three exhausted children into their home next door and waved goodnight to the two sisters.

“Night Cordy,” Buffy called out to her neighbor, turning to step inside her house and shut the door to the cold dark night.

“Buffy?” she heard Riley’s voice from outside the picket fence.

‘Oh, Lord, this is all I need,’ Buffy grimaced as she plastered on a smile and turned back to find Riley Finn coming up her walkway. Rather, she saw him somewhat stumbling up her walkway, as he appeared to be three sheets to the wind drunk.

“Riley!” she rasped, “are you drunk?” Riley finally made it up the stairs to Buffy, a wild grin on his face, and leaned against the post at the bottom stair.

“No,” he chuckled, “I’m past drunk, I’m stone drunk.”

Buffy was stunned, this was something new to her, a drunk and apparently unrepenting Riley at her doorstep.

“Uhm, Riley,” she began gently, “I think maybe you should go home, take a walk, maybe get some sleep? You seem rather….out of it, I think.”

He squinted down at her, frowned momentarily then favored her with a silly grin, “don’t want to,” he pouted like a child, “want to stay here with you.”

With that, he plopped down on her porch and crossed his arms over his chest defiantly.

“Riley,” Buffy sighed impatiently, “it’s late, I’ve got to get Dawnie to bed, get to bed myself. You go on home now, please, get some rest or air, or something.”

Riley stood up again, shakily, “why do you spend so much time with Spike Giles, Buffy,” he asked sadly, shaking his head.

Buffy sighed again in frustration, bit her lower lip and rolled her eyes, “I told you, Riley,” she explained gently, “Spike is my friend too. We have a lot in common, things to talk about, Shakespeare, lots of things. I wish you would…..”

Riley frowned again and reached out to Buffy, pulling her against him roughly, “I can readite Shacksper, Buff,” he slurred drunkenly.

“Let me go,” Buffy ordered calmly, but sternly, “I don’t like being manhandled Riley, so let me go. Now.”

He stared down into her eyes, blindly that is, “I don’t like Spike Giles, or you seeing him, but you do like him, don’t you Buffy.”

She pulled out of his arms in a huff, “go home,” she ordered again, this time, in a much firmer tone. “I can’t talk to you like this, I won’t talk to you when you’re drunk.”

Riley shook his head, then hung it in shame, “I’m sorry pretty Buffy. I’m sorry for makin’ you mad, ruining your night. We’ll talk later, much later when I’ve slept and sobered up and you’re not mad anymore. We’ll sort this all out, promise,” he smiled like a child at her.

“Yes,” she answered in relief, “we’ll talk later about this.”

Riley smiled brightly, “tomorrow?” he asked hopefully.

“I’m sorry, Riley,” Buffy answered quickly, “Dawn and I have lessons with Anya Harris, at her and Xander’s place. Her baby is due soon and I don’t want her coming into town to study with me. It’s too risky for her and the child. Tomorrow, we, Dawnie and I, we’re due at the Harris’s for supper and lessons.”

Riley frowned, this time it was an angry one, “why do you waste your time with trash like Xander and Anya Harris, Buffy,” he hissed.

Buffy reared back as if she had been physically struck by Riley, “I will not have you calling my friends bad names Riley Finn. Do not ever say anything against Xander or Anya again in front of me, anyway. Xander is a good man who loves his wife and coming child. Anya is just trying to better herself, make a better life for her family. I won’t have you say a word against either of them. Do you understand, Riley?”

He hung his head again and mumbled an ‘I’m sorry.’ “Will you go to dinner on Saturday with me, like usual, Buffy, we can talk then?”

“Yes, Riley,” she murmered, avoiding his big brown eyes, “we can talk Saturday. But for now, I think you’d better go on home or for that walk I suggested. I just know you will be ill tomorrow anyway, you smell like you’ve drank a brewery full, so go on. We’ll talk Saturday.”

Riley gave her a sad little smile then kissed her on her forehead chastely, “see you Saturday pretty Buffy,” he whispered as he turned to stumble off the stairs and down her walkway.

Buffy sighed in exhasperation, ‘men!’ A clatter at the window behind her caused Buffy to turn her attention to the noise.

“Buffy?” Dawn whispered nervously, “are you okay?”

She saw her little sister, a kind of frightened look on her face, peering out from the front door now.

“Come here, Dawn,” Buffy ordered gently even as the young girl joined her on the porch.

“Let’s sit down and talk a while, shall we?” Buffy asked, taking Dawn’s hand in hers and setting them both on the porch swing.

Buffy slipped her right arm about her taller sister’s shoulders and pulled her close to her, causing Dawn to lay her dark head on her shoulder.

“It’s tough to be a female, isn’t it Dawnie?” Buffy sighed quietly, looking up into the cloudy night sky.

“Yeah,” Dawnie responded simply but honestly.

“People, well, Society, expects so much from us. So much different things then it expects from males. It’s hard to be a woman, a girl, a female in general, huh?”

Again, Dawn nodded as she snuggled closer to her sister for comfort or warmth, Buffy wasn’t sure at the moment.

“When I was your age, Dawnie, I was betrothed to Parker. I was way too young, too unknowing about life and things. So was he, though, but I, we, did what was expected of us, what we thought our familys wanted. I guess I just want you to experience more happiness in life, now, in the future, always. I love you very much Dawn, you know that don’t you?”

The younger girl nodded again and then yawned unceremoniously against Buffy.

“Love you too, Buffy,” she whispered, closing her blue eyes.

“Oh, Dawnie,” Buffy suddenly gasped in awe, causing the girl to bolt up.

“What!” Dawn cried looking about in confusion.

“It’s snowing!” Buffy pointed at the white puffs that had just started falling from the cold black sky.


A/N: Well, I’ve gone and done it again. . Please read and review. Thanks, Luv, Spuf