STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 15: ‘Angst; Amends and More Angst’


A/N: Oh, the heck with it! I’m going to submit this chapter tonight. Please read and review, I need it! Thanks, Luv, Spuf


“Buffy,” Dawn whispered from the little bed next to the older Summer’s borrowed bed in the Gile’s home. Buffy resisted the urge to answere or even acknowledge her younger sister.

“Buffy, please listen to me,” Dawn pleaded with a soft whimper in the dark. Turning on her side to face Dawn, Buffy said nothing, but at least gave her sister the pretense of her attention, even in the pitch black darkness that surrounded them.

“Buffy,” Dawn whispered again, the word itself was a echo of regret and sorrow, “I’m sorry, Buffy.”

The elder Miss Summers was in a quandry; she did not want to forgive her Dawnie just yet for the ugly, harsh words that had been exchanged earlier. However, loving her little sister the way she did, somehow understanding the girl’s desperation to stay in this magical place, gave Buffy the ‘need’ to forgive Dawn, immediately.

“Shush, Dawn,” Buffy responded evenly, “for once we are both going to take Spike’s advice and not speak of this, tonight anyway. Things do have a way of looking better in the morning and I’m sure it’s true of this situation. So, please, for me, Dawnie, quiet down now and try to sleep. We will speak of this tomorrow, at home when we are alone together.”

Dawn sighed, “okay Buffy. We’ll talk tomorrow.”

Over breakfast at the Gile’s table, Buffy could not help but glance first at Dawn, then at Connor who sat across the table and down from the Summer’s girls. Spike sat staring at Buffy, a sympathetic expression in his blue eyes and a slight smile on his handsome mouth.

‘You are a rock Spike Giles,’ Buffy thought warmly to herself, even though she kept a silence about her that matched all of the diners at the huge table. Rupert Gile’s did not smile during the whole meal, nor did his wife Jennifer, but Angel just prattled on about everything and nothing. Buffy surmised that the middle son was probably trying to keep things somewhat light after the fiasco that had developed the night before.

“I think we should take Xander into town with us today, Dad, Spike,” Angel suggested, shoveling some hot cakes into his mouth, “buy him a beer or two, to celebrate little Elizabeth’s birth. We never really celebrated, you know?”

Angel looked so hopeful, as if the mere mention of beer, celebration and town would make everything in the gloomy dining room seem brighter.

“Yes,” Rupert sighed, “perhaps it’s just the thing. What do you say, Spike? A drink at the Silver Spur, that is if it’s all right by you dear.”

Rupert glanced at Jennifer who smiled and nodded, “I think you should, all of you. When you drop Buffy and Dawn off at home, why not stop by the Spur and have a toast to Xander, Anya and our dear little Beth. Take Connor with you.”

Jennifer gave the order like a General and didn’t bother looking at her youngest son, apparently still severely dissapointed in her beloved Connor.

“Yes, Mother,” Angel agreed, “I think young Connor should have a beer with us, knowing how much he enjoys them.”

Buffy glanced at Connor, warily, realizing that the poor kid was no more interested in beer then she, Buffy was.

Spike watched the little drama unfold before him with a wary eye, Buffy was just barely holding on, he could tell that much.

‘Poor thing,’ Spike shook his head in sympathy for his love, ‘she just admits her misgivings about her first marriage to me, confronts her demons so to speak. After I had to go and throw Riley’s indiscretions with Faith at her. By the way,’ he pondered in awe, ‘Buffy didn’t seem too bloody broken up about Riley and that whore, did she?’ This realization made Spike very happy indeed and it lightened his dour mood that morning. ‘Anyway,’ Spike continued his musings, ‘then the two brats have to throw a runaway marriage in my girl’s face, and then Dawn the brat of all brats has to throw Mammy Buffy’s death at her. All in all, it was a real shitty evening had by everyone.’

Spike thought for another moment then relived the moment Buffy slapped Dawn a good one, right across her cheek, ‘good for you my Princess,’ he smirked, but kept his chuckled to himself, ‘little brat sister of yours deserved that one!’

“What time will we be going home,” Buffy finally piped up, looking at Spike solely.

“Thought we’d go about 1:30 or so, Buffy, if that’s all right,” Spike offerred with a warm smile. Buffy returned his smile and nodded, “that’s fine Spike,” she murmered and went back to her hot cakes that Wauneta had prepared.

“I’ll be going to fetch Xander around 1:00 PM,” Angel stated, gulping down his milk, “I know he’s more then ready for a day out in town. He adores Anya and Bethie, but he needs some time with a mug of beer and man talk.”

Angel grinned at his father and wiped his mouth with the fine linen napkin his mother had set.

“I’m going to go check that broken fence Dad,” Angel called as he headed for the back door, “I’ll be back about noon.”

Buffy stifled another grin, feeling that this was no time for jovility, but Angel’s enthusiasm was contagious as he was a good young man. She, Buffy wished there was an appropriate young lady around for Angel, someone to complete his life, but so far, alas, there was no one that fit the bill.

Around 1:30 that afternoon, the little caravan from the Gile’s ranch started their trek into Cheyenne. Rupert drove the little Summer’s wagon that carried he, the two young women and Connor back into the town. Spike rode Demon beside them, constantly looking at Buffy, something she was more then aware of and Angel rode Blue next to Xander and his horse.

When the group entered Cheyenne, thankfully, the streets were pretty empty which was not unusual for a Saturday afternoon. Most folks were about their chores at home or at shop and the children were right along side their parents. Once the Giles and Xander had seen Buffy and Dawn to their doorstep, they prepared to go on into the Silver Spur and have a drink or two before returning to the ranch.

“Thank you,” Buffy said shyly to Spike who had made sure to escort her and Dawn into the house. Dawn having hurried off to the girl’s shared bedroom and closed the door behind her.

“I don’t know what I would have done,” Buffy continued, “had you not been here to help me,” she finished sincerely, touching the side of Spike’s cheek tenderly.

“Oh, Buffy,” Spike murmered, taking her little hand in his and holding it to his cheek, “I’d do anything for you. I would go to hell and back for you, don’t you know that by now?”

Buffy blushed brightly, a sight that Spike cherished and always would. He took her little hand from his face and lifted it to his lips, “I love you,” he whispered tenderly, gazing into her emerald green eyes, “always.”

She then lifted his hand to her lips and returned the kiss lightly on his palm, “I know,” she murmered with a soft smile, “and I’m so thankful for you Spike.”

Smiling, just content, for the moment, that Buffy could offer him that, Spike reluctantly let go of her tiny hand and turned to join his family and Xander out in the street.

“I’ll be around tomorrow,” Spike called back to Buffy, “to check on you and the Bit.” He was happily aware that Buffy stood in the doorway of her little home, watching until the men on their horses rode off to the Silver Spur for a celebration drink.

Buffy closed her front door and leaned against it, trying to summon the courage to face Dawn alone. When she had mustered some strength, Buffy knocked lightly on the bedroom door to alert her little sister to the fact that it was now time to talk. Dawn shuffled out of the bedroom slowly, her head hung down in resignation in such a way that just tore at Buffy’s heart.

“Let’s sit down on the sofa, honey,” Buffy offerred gently as she took Dawn’s arm in her hand and led the girl to the couch.

They sat in uncomfortable silence for a moment or two before Dawn finally broke the tension, “do you hate me Buffy?” she asked timidly.

“No,” Buffy answered without hesitation, “but I am very upset with you Dawnie,” she finished with a frown. Dawn nodded, saying nothing more until her big sister added a word or two first.

“Dawn,” Buffy began cautiously, “I love you. You are my only sister, only sibling and my first real friend in life. What I’m about to say is not said in anger or smugness, rather, it is done in love and only because I want to help and protect you. So please,” Buffy continued quietly, “just listen to what I say, all right?”

Dawn nodded shyly, unable to look her sister in the eye. Buffy took Dawn’s hand in her own and stared soulfully into the younger girl’s blue eyes.

“I have to point out some things to you, Dawn,” Buffy scowled, not really meaning to, but unable to control herself. “If you had gotten to Burns, say made it there before anyone else, and the Preacher there could not have or would not have married you last night, well, what would you have done? Say Ford had not told anyone of your plan? You and Connor that is?”

Dawn shook her head, a few tears of betrayal slipped down her cheeks.

“Well, I guess you two could have turned back to Cheyenne, made it home early in the morning, whether you were married or not. Whether you and Connor had…” but Buffy could not even finish that thought.

“Anyway, whether you and Connor had married or not, had done other things that two young people like you are far from ready to explore, well, honey your reputation would have been ruined. Here, even back home in Tennessee, and Papa? He would have insisted on a shotgun marriage, whether there was a baby or not. And frankly, sweetie, I don’t think either you or Connor are ready for ‘that.’ Do you understand what I’m saying Dawn?”

If Dawn did understand, she sure was not forthcoming with her realizations. At least not right at the moment. Buffy sighed loudly, “okay, Dawn. We will try and discuss this further, later. I think maybe you should go home to Tennessee, as soon as possible. I just need to find a suitable escort for you and…” Before Buffy could finish, Dawn had literally leapt into her arms, already sobbing hysterically.

“Please, please, Buffy,” Dawn cried hopelessly, “please don’t send me away so soon. I’ll be good, I won’t run away again, I promise. I swear to you, I’ll be good as gold. At least let me stay for Christmas, then I’ll pack up and go back to Papa and Mama in January. I won’t make a fuss, promise. Just let me stay another month, please!”

Dawn was practically wailing by this time and Buffy felt that old sinking feeling in her tummy.

‘Now what?’ she asked herself, barely able to hold back her tears right then. “Dawn,” she ordered, somewhat calmly, “settle down, right now. Tell you what,” Buffy pulled back from the weeping girl and looked her in the eye, “I need to go to the school house, get some things I forgot yesterday. Let me go down there and think a bit, by myself and be alone to ponder on things.”

Dawn Summers gave her older sister a wary look through tear stained eyes, “I, I could go with you to the school house,” she stammered with a sniffle or two.

But, Buffy shook her head, “no, Dawn, I need to be alone, to think. I’ll leave you here, in the house, alone. But that’s only because I’m trying to show you that I will be willing to trust you, somewhat that is. Before I head down to the school, I’m going to stop by the Rayne’s and ask them to look in on you in a while. I will be back in less then thirty minutes, definitely and if you step outside this house, Dawn Summers, I’ll have Ethan Rayne come fetch me at the school house. Do you understand? As it is, thankfully, only the Gile’s family and us, Xander Harris and Mr. Gunn know anything about that mess last night. We’ll count our blessings and go on from here, but I’m warning you, Dawn, step one foot out of this house and I hear about it? I’ll pack your bags myself, tonight and send you home to Tennessee, first thing. Understand?”

Dawn nodded slowly while she wiped at her tear stained face. “And Dawnie,” Buffy said softly as she grabbed her coat and muff, “I’m so sorry that I struck you and called you that awful name.”

Buffy hurried into the school house, which was quite cold from being unused since yesterday. No fire had been lit in the little iron stove since Friday morning and being December, it was pretty chilly in the one room structure. She scurried about the room, checking certain students desks and the tablets they had left there. Actually, Buffy had used the excuse of school obligations to escape the house and her sister for a short while, finding it hard to face Dawn at this time. The sickness Buffy felt after slapping her sister had not dissapaited at all.

Even though everyone seemed to feel that Dawn had deserved some discipline and scolding, Buffy hated the fact that she had resorted to physical violence and ugly words to punish her young sister. In her haste to get out of the house and away from the haunting stare of her little sister, Buffy had forgotten her rifle back home. It would ultimately prove to be a very, very big mistake on her part.

Spike stood at the bar of the Silver Spur, his beer in hand, listening to Angel banter about with Xander and Connor. Although his body was here, in this crummy saloon, his mind and heart were elsewhere, namely with Buffy in her house a few blocks down from there.

“So, Xander,” Angel laughed heartily, “Anya wants another baby, so soon?” Xander blushed red, which clashed with his masculine looks and dark hair but he couldn’t seem to help himself.

“Yeah,” Xander stammered with a gentle smile, “she wants at least six more kids.”

Rupert Giles sipped his whiskey and grinned at his young ranch hand, “good show, Xander,” he crowed, “now if we could just get Spike and Buffy married off to each other, maybe Jennifer and I could have some grand children to call our own.”

The men laughed jovially together, affecting the other men in the saloon with their happiness and causing quite the commotion in the place. Spike was just about ready to remark about Buffy, marriage and their children together when a sudden hush fell over the saloon, causing the five men to stop their banter and turn to face the door.

Dawn Summers stood just inside the door of the Silver Spur, wide-eyed and with the expression of a fish out of water. If she had not looked so terrified, Spike would have chastised Buffy’s little sister right then and there for showing her face in a place like this. But, Dawn was as pale as a ghost and all the Gile’s men could see that the girl was shaking in fear from where they stood.

Connor didn’t hesitate, he dropped his beer mug on the bar and hurried over to Dawn, reaching for her with his arms.

“What’s wrong Dawn?” he asked, worriedly for everyone to hear.

“It’s Buffy,” Dawn whispered, still loud enough for Spike to hear as he tossed his own beer on the bar and joined Connor and Dawn by the door.

“What about Buffy,” Spike asked hoarsely when he got to the couple by the door.

“She’s been gone, to the school house, over an hour, almost two, she promised, said she’d be back in less then thirty minutes,” Dawn choked out in spurts, her voice rigid with fear. “I don’t think she would leave me alone, not for so long, not anymore since…”

Spike looked over at his Father who was already settling the tab with the bartender, while Angel and Xander hurried over to join Connor and him. Before anyone could say or do anything else, Spike was out the door of the bar and headed down the street to the little school house, his heart racing in his chest.


‘Something is wrong,’ Spike convinced himself as he ran to the school, not bothering to saddle and ride Demon there. He could sense his Father, Angel, Xander, Connor and a very frightened Dawn hurrying behind him, trying to catch up. Even before Spike burst into the school house and saw, not shocked really, that it was empty of Buffy, his beloved little Buffy, he knew there was danger there.

Or at least it had been there, earlier, just a while before Dawn had sounded the alarm that had brought his family, Xander and half of the Silver Spur customers down to the little school house. Frantically, Spike searched about the room, looking for any evidence of Buffy or where she might have gone off to, finally resting his stare on her neat, cleaned off ‘teacher’s desk’ and a folded piece of paper that sat squarely in the middle of it.

‘Spike Giles’ was jotted down, in crude print, on the outside of it. Right next to the paper lay a lock of honey blonde hair, ‘Buffy’s’ Spike realized, fearfully, about one and a half inches long.

Spike ripped open the letter wildly, ignoring the look of Rupert and Angel as he did. He could hear Dawn sobbing, already, nearby and his youngest brother, Connor, trying to comfort her.

Without reading aloud, Spike began to peruse the rough, oddly childlike print on the white, simple lined school paper it was written on. It began:

Spike Giles,

Be warned, friend, that I now have your ‘treasure’
In my possesion. If you want her back, which I’m
Sure you do, be prepared to pay very well for her.
I know, that you know where to find ‘us’ and I do
Mean ‘us’ you fucking coward. Believe me when I
Tell you that there are well over a dozen men with
Me in this and none of us are too fond of you or
Your entire fucking family.

So, here’s the deal,
Spikey; bring $100,000.00 to us (again, I’m sure
That you or your Indian friends can easily track
Us) to where you know we are and I mean in less
Then two days, son.

If you don’t, which I’m not
Even considering, really, then we’ll kill this bitch
Of yours, no question about that. However, we
Will be more then happy to sample the lovely
Lady’s more obvious charms first.

A last question for you Giles…Paybacks are
Fucking hell, aren’t they?



H. Webster


Spike tried to keep from throwing up, right there in front of his family and poor Dawn who was now sobbing so hard that Connor had to hold her to him tightly. Looking up at his Father, Rupert Giles, Spike felt like a hopeless, helpless school boy again.

Just like the time back in England when he had been taunted for the thousandth time that his Father had abandoned him and his sister for America. He had struck back the last time, made his mark on the blokes that had been tormenting him for years at school, even though he was only twelve at the time. That was how he had received the lovely little scar over his left eyebrow, the one he had explained to his baby, Buffy, only

‘Buffy!’ he gasped, feeling like he might pass out, but fighting to control the urge to. ‘Holden Webster has my girl,’ he fought the terror in his soul and the frightful tears that wanted to spill from his eyes.


“Dad,” Spike rasped hoarsely to his Father who seemed to be suddenly so much taller then he had ever remembered, “can we get our hands on a lot cash? Fast? And men? A lot of men and guns?”


A/N: Well…seems that Buffy has gotten into a hellmouth that is going to be ‘hell’ to get out of, huh? Hold on, kiddies, it’s going to be a real bumpy ride! Please read and review. We love reviews, good or bad. Thanks, Luv, Spuf