Chapter 3: Part I


Buffy’s train trip on the refurbished, Union Pacific Railroad had been ‘nice’ if a bit uneventful. Of course, Jennifer Giles was the epitome of Southern grace and charm, obviously sensing that the further Buffy got away from Tennessee and her home, the more apprehensive she became. Mrs. Giles did her best to keep Buffy occupied with conversation and tales of Cheyenne, Wyoming and of course her family.

“Drusilla is the eldest, of course,” Jennifer was prattling on at the moment, “she’s a beautiful woman, with the most lovely brown eyes. William is a couple of years younger then his big Sister, he has the same blue eyes as his Father, but he’s fair haired, his hair is just a tad darker then yours, Buffy dear.”

Buffy nodded nervously, as she had done for the last hundred miles of their trip, ‘what have I gotten myself into,’ she kept asking in her own mind. ‘Maybe Papa was right, I havn’t a clue about this wild place, I could be miserable! Oh, I’m such a dolt!’

Jenny began to talk about her own two sons with Rupert Giles, who at the moment was napping in the seat across from them; poor Connor just stared out at the scenery passing by.

“Our Liam, or Angel as he’s called, is a big old handsome devil, he’s only eighteen-years-old and pretty wild natured. Of course all of Rupert’s boys are a bit untamed, even William, or Spike, he always goes by Spike, but that’s another story.”

That was the second time that Jennifer had referred to William Giles as Spike and again, she avoided any explaination as to his nickname. Again, Buffy nodded at her companion, eyeing Rupert Giles who snored loudly as he slept, wondering how this mild mannered middle aged man could have sired three rowdy, untamed sons? Especially Connor, who sat quietly and just stared outside the train, deep in thought about Buffy’s little Sister ‘Dazzling Dawnie,’ no doubt, who had seemed to knock the young man off of his young feet.

The last couple of days had been uneventful on the train and after the newness of the trip had warn off, well, it was then that Buffy had began to become wary of this whole situation. They were now on the outskirts of the great Nebraska plains and were nearing their Wyoming destination. It would not be long now until Buffy realized her dream to come to the great Wyoming Territory, land of the untamed West, full of famous historical characters and the great Cheyenne Tribes. However, sadly, she was more concerned at this point with the sense of dread that overcame her every few hours or so.

‘The most exciting thing that’s happened so far,’ she thought ruefully, ‘is that Jenny has alluded to this William like he’s some kind of English Fairytale Giant or something. I’m beginning to wonder just exactly why and for whom I’ve been dragged out here!’

Before she could ponder on this thought any longer, the Train came to an abrupt and unscheduled stop, in the middle of nowhere. Buffy and Jenny were almost thrown from their seat and Rupert woke up abruptly, dazed and confused. Young Connor bobbed around in his seat, anxious to find out what was going on.

“Heaven help us all!” some voice from behind them shouted in dismay, “Train robbers!” Buffy heard the sound of gun shots, not distantly, but not inside the train either.

“Do you think it’s the Hole in the Wall Gang, Dad?” Connor asked excitedly, barely able to stay put in his seat.

“Son,” his Father admonished, glancing nervously at his Wife and her young charge, “best to just keep quiet. Say nothing and be still.” Rupert was telling them ‘all’ this, Buffy realized and she had no intention of going against him on this one.

“They’re probably just after the payroll money in the mail car anyway. Chances are, we won’t even have to see them in our car,” he finished with a mumble, just as three masked men kicked open the door to their Train car and began to saunter down the aisle in their direction. ‘So much for just the payroll in the mail car,’ Buffy thought nervously, keeping her green eyes pinned on Connor and Rupert Giles. Poor Connor was anxiously staring at his Mother, apparently embarrassed by his sudden fear at the turn of events, while his Father kept glancing at the nearing outlaws and then glancing at the two women in his care. The look in the older man’s blue eyes was anything but comforting.

“Well, well, well,” the tallest masked man chuckled as all three of them reached the Gile’s party’s seats. “Who’s this pretty little thing?” he continued, blocking any escape from the seat for all of them.

Buffy just continued to focus on Mr. Giles, but her heart pounded in her chest. She was sure that these three scoundrels could hear her fear, much like they must have sensed all the other passengers fright. “Excuse me, Maam,” Buffy heard one of the other outlaws say to Jennifer Giles, “but I’d like the ring on your finger, please.” ‘So polite for a scoundrel,’ Buffy thought as Mr. Giles nodded at his wife to do as the man had requested. Jenny slipped the wedding band from her finger and handed it reluctantly to the rather large masked man. “I’ll take that pretty golden locket from you, too, Miss,” came the first masked man’s deep voice, “just slip it off your lovely neck and we’ll be on our way.” Buffy broke her gaze from Jenny and glared at the huge man staring down at her, she just knew he smirked behind that mask.

“No!” she hissed defiantly, feeling a lot braver then she really was.

All three of the masked men began to laugh loudly, “no?” the first bandit asked with a chuckle. “You’re pretty brave for a little thing, ain’t you, girlie?” he finished, leaning over Jenny to stare into Buffy’s green eyes. She could see his dark brown eyes under the mask and wondered why they ‘seemed’ so kind, when this monster was obviously a vicious evil man.

“It’s mine!” Buffy hissed haughtily, “I’m not giving it to the likes of you, you coward!” She felt vindicated, at least, to have stated the obvious. Any man who had to hide behind a mask should…..

“Coward?” her antagonizer asked, good naturedly, “I’m not a coward Missy, just careful.” All three men laughed again.

“Tell you what, Miss,” the outlaw said calmly, “I’ll make you a deal. You give me some other kind of spun gold you have, I’ll let you keep your trinket and I’ll make my friend give your Mother back her ring. How’s that?”

Buffy felt a tremble of fear shoot up her spine as she glanced at Jenny, “what other spun gold?” she asked the man before her.

“A lock of your hair, little one,” he responded evenly. “I’ll take a lock of your golden hair instead of the locket and ring. I think that’s fair, don’t you?” The man who had relieved Jenny of her wedding ring began to protest.

“No, friend,” the obviously head man cut him off, “if the little lady here will give me a small lock of hair, the Mother gets back her ring, period.”

Buffy pondered the man’s offer for about a second before nodding her head slowly. “Buffy,” Rupert gasped, “you certainly can’t….”

“No, Mr. Giles, I will do it. My hair can grow back, but your wife’s ring and my locket can’t be replaced.”

While the Gile’s family looked on, Buffy reached out her tiny right hand, palm up, “you have a knife I assume?” she demanded of this man. He nodded and reached in his pocket, handing Buffy a long open knife to cut her hair with. “I’ll do it myself,” she nodded with determination, “but give Mrs. Giles her ring back first.” She looked at the man holding Jennifer’s ring and he complied immediately. Buffy reached up and let her golden locks loose from their proper bun, then slowly cut off just about an inch and a half off of the end. Reluctantly, she handed the pushy masked man the hair and his knife, then looked over at Connor, who wore a mixed expression of respect for her and some fear.

Buffy just knew the man must have smiled smugly behind that mask as he took her lock and tucked it into his vest pocket. “Thank you Miss,” he chuckled, saluting her with his right, empty hand. Pointing to the Train car door with his hand that held the gun, he motioned for his partners to leave immediately.

“Maybe I’ll be seeing you again soon, little one,” he called back to Buffy as he followed the other two men out of the compartment.

“Wow!” Connor finally exclaimed when the outlaws had departed and the Train started up again, “that was really amazing, Miss Summers!” Buffy just sat and stared at her small clasped hands for a few minutes while Rupert and Jenny hugged and chattered anxiously. “Buffy that really was a brave thing,” Jenny sighed, now hugging her closely. “Yes it was Ms. Summers,” Rupert added, “I’m so sorry about your lovely hair, I shouldn’t have let that happen.” The older man seemed ashamed at his weakness, but Buffy quickly assured him and the others, “better a lock of hair then one of us getting hurt. Like I said, my hair, especially that little bit, will grow back quickly.”

After the excitement of the robbery, the next few miles to Cheyenne seemed like nothing, but Buffy couldn’t stop her heart from pounding for at least the next four or five hours. When the Union Pacific pulled into the Cheyenne train station, the local Sheriff, half of the City Council and a rather imposing young man awaited the train and especially the Gile’s party. A dark haired, tall young man hurried up to meet Rupert and Jennifer as they stepped off the train, “damn, Dad!” he shouted, “we already heard about the robbery! I’m Angel Giles,” he nodded at Buffy, stopping to take a second glance and throw her a charming smile.

Buffy smiled at the young man, who was quite handsome in a rugged sort of way. He had the kindest chocolate brown eyes and Buffy saw the physical resemblence between Connor and him, even their Mother.

“Wow!” came a distinctive British accent from behind Buffy and she turned to look at the body this deep voice came from. “Who knew the new Teacher would look like a bloody Angel!” Buffy found herself staring into the most startling blue eyes she had ever seen.


A/N: Okay, so obviously, the Train Robber (#1) that is, is not Spike, the brown eyes are the give a way. It’s not Angel either, he’s not the monster that he is in my other fics! Please read and review. I’m labouring on this fic, big time and in the next few chapters we’ll experience the animosity and ‘hot chemistry’ that is Spuffy! Thanks, Luv, Spuf