STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 16: Part II ‘Rescue!’


Spike was nervously pacing about the encampment, something he had been doing most of the night. It was now close to sunrise and the oldest Gile’s son was joined by his younger brother, Liam, who had gone by Angel for many years now. Although no one could quite remember just how the unangelic Liam had gotten such a nickname.

“So,” Angel drawled as he took his older brother’s half smoked cigarette and put it to his lips, “what do you think? Webster will send someone down, about sunrise?”

With a shake of his head, Spike lit another cigarette for himself and scowled up at the bluff. “What fucks with my mind, Angel,” Spike sighed, “is just ‘who’ Webster will send? I mean, he has to be bloody careful about who he sends down here. He knows better then to make it himself. What do you think?”

Angel scoured the dark bluff, then eyed his older brother, warily, “I think that Webster will be the coward he’s always been, Spike,” he said evenly, “I think he’ll send the easiest, most gullible messenger he can find. Though, who that would be in that trashy bunch, who knows,” he ended with a shrug.

“Right,” Spike sighed loudly, “no telling who the fuck’ll send down to negotiate. If that bloody idiot, Holden Webster, even has any idea what ‘that’ means.” Angel nodded somberly in complete agreement.

“Boys,” Rupert Giles stretched as he walked over to join his sons by the campfire, “I think that we should see some sign of a negotiator by sunrise?”

Spike and Angel nodded in unison and continued to stare at the darkened bluff in front of them. The sun was just beginning to peek over the eastern horizon as the three men gazed up into the hill that held the cabin, that held Buffy captive.

Buffy sat staring out at the early morning sky. Holden had sent that poor nephew of his, Dalton, down the bluff at sunrise to make plans with Spike and apparently some of the citizens of Cheyenne for her release. The boy had been gone for less then an hour, when he returned to the Webster cabin and shyly handed his Uncle Holden a note, presumably from Spike.

“Good boy,” Holden chuckled, reading the note, “your man certainly holds you in high regard, school teacher,” he grinned at Buffy.

‘Yes,’ Buffy thought with a shiver through her chilled body, ‘he certainly does.’

“So,” Darla wondered over to her brother and snatched the note from him, “what now?”

Holden smiled at his sister, affectionatly, “now we wait until noon, send Miss Summers here down the bluff with Dalton and have the boy bring up the money.”

Buffy eyed first Darla, then Holden, warily, “so that’s it?” she asked, either or neither of them.

“That’s it,” Holden answered simply, “we’ll have my nephew wait with you and Giles until you two have ridden down to the bottom of the bluff. Shows good faith and all. Like I said, Spike Giles would never harm a boy, even if he is a mother fucking killer.”

Buffy flinched at the harsh words and names that this monster, Holden, called Spike. ‘He’s been so good to me,’ she thought sadly, ‘stood by me, thick and thin and I don’t even have the guts to defend him?’

“Just for the record, Holden Webster,” Buffy hissed softly as she made sure only ‘he’ heard her, “Spike is a good man, a great man. A real man…and a little advice from me to you…I would get your gang of trash out of this cabin and out of the Territory as soon as possible. I don’t give a rat’s about you or these fools that follow you like a puppy, but your sister, her son, them I care about. Oh,” she added with a smirk, hopefully the mirror of Spike’s and quite audibly, “as for Faith and your stupid lowlife brother? I hope they make it out, only because they deserve each other in eternal misery.”

Buffy grinned evilly at Holden then over at the whore, Faith, who hovered all over Tucker in the corner. The brunette slut gave Buffy a filthy look but held her tongue for once.

‘Smart girl,’ Buffy snickered silenty with a nasty smile at the bitch. Just for good measure, Buffy had to add one more snipe (remembering the skinny little bitch remark from earlier, no doubt).

“Oh, and Faith,” Buffy sneered amicably, “if you stick around Cheyenne, I mean once Tucker dumps your sorry ass. Be sure and tell Riley I hope he got his money’s worth, I hardly doubt it though as…

Before Faith could leap at Buffy, nails and teeth bared, Darla grabbed hold of the dark haired woman and yanked away, tossing her at Tucker.

“Let it go,” she ordered Faith harshly, “it’s nothing more then you deserve. Christ, Tucker,” she turned to her youngest brother, but nodded at Faith, “make sure this bitch takes a bath soon. She reeks.”

Buffy broke out in loud laughter, as Tucker pulled Faith up off of the floor and Darla smirked. Darla winked at Buffy then began to lovingly comb her son’s hair.

“It’s time,” Holden stated simply, turning his gaze to his nephew. “Just do as I told ya’ Dalt, take the girl down to the bottom of the bluff. Make sure the money is there on the ground, a good twenty feet from Giles. When you’ve checked it, release Buffy over to Spike. I made sure it was Spike comin’ for you,” he looked at Buffy with a smile.

“Not that ‘he’ would have stayed away, but it makes it all seem so worth while this way.” Holden began to chuckle while the other anxious men about just watched their ‘boss’ with mixed expressions.

“Miss Summers,” Dalton said politely, “shall we go then?” Buffy looked at the small boy in disbelief, then over at his Mother, “thank you Darla,” Buffy whispered to the woman. Darla nodded at Buffy, but said nothing, then gazed at her son warmly.

“So, school teacher,” Holden Webster grinned in the most friendly fashion, “you sure you won’t rethink it. Stick around with me?”

He winked at her wickedly, but Buffy just cringed and shook her head. “Like I said, Webster, I would not let you touch me for all the tea in China.”

As she took the boy, Dalton by his little arm, Buffy thought she heard both Darla and Faith chuckle. When Buffy exited the cabin, she was more then sure that this would be the last time she either heard of or saw any of the occupants of that hard place again.

Spike rode Demon up to the first knoll of the bluff, smoking a cigarette along the way.

‘She’ll be okay,’ he reassured himself with a confident nod as he patted the black bag of cash on tied to his side. ‘Buffy’ll be just fine. She’s tough, and strong and so tiny and petite and oh God,’ his confidence started to falter, just a little, ‘I love her so much. She just has to be all right.’

He scanned the tree lined bluff for any sign of Buffy and the poor boy that had been dragged into all this mess. Suddenly, he caught sight of a flash of honey blond hair just behind a huge rock, not more then one hundred or two hundred feet away. Finding it hard to breathe, Spike halted Demon where they stood and waited for the confirmation that this was Buffy.

He only had to wait a moment before his Buffy came around the rock with the young boy in tow. When Spike and Buffy’s eyes met, she broke into a huge smile, while he felt like breaking down and crying, in relief, just like a bloody toddler.

‘Oh Princess,’ is all Spike could think, as he slid off of Demon and untied the bag from his saddle.

Young Dalton nodded at Spike, “thank you, Mr. Giles,” he said simply nodding at the bag and letting go of Buffy’s arm. Spike and Buffy stumbled to each other and literally fell into each other’s arms.

Without hesitating, Spike picked her up and set her on Demon, then climbed on behind her. He didn’t even look at the boy or the money, just turned Demon around and spurred the horse down the bluff.

Neither Spike or Buffy said a word for nearly a minute, then she laid her head back against his chest and sighed softly, but in complete awe, “you came for me. You came for me Will.”

Spike nuzzled the top of her soft, golden head and murmered, “of course I came for you. I’d go to hell and back for you, Buffy. I love you more then life. ”

Spike finally allowed his tears to slip down his cheeks, as he rode with his love to safety.


A/N: Purposely short chapter to finish off the hostage situation and lead up to the really good stuff! Yeah! Can you guess what that is? Okay, I know this chapter was kind of hokey, I wasn’t sure just how to realistically write the rescue, but Buffy is safe now. Next chapter you’ll find out what happens to the Webster gang, Riley (who will end up on his ass again!) and a reunion for Buffy at the Gile’s ranch! Thanks, please read. Luv, Spuf