STAKE YOUR CLAIM

Chapter 19: ‘Announcements’


A/N: Again, thank you to everyone who read the last few chapters that I had to delete and then re-submit. I’m such a doofus! Please go back and read Chapter 17: Part II ‘So Very Good to Me’ if you haven’t already. It’s an explanation of what happened to Holden and his gang and Spike gives Buffy a wonderful gift. Thank you to everyone who reviewed Chapters 18 I & II already. Franchessca, thank you for pointing out that we didn’t know what happened to Holden, it’s what alerted me to my faux pas! Luv, Spuf



Spike sat next to his future bride, Buffy, at the dinner table of his Father’s home. It struck him as ironic, that soon, very soon, he would not be having his dinner at this table every night, not after he married Buffy. They would have their own home, away from this one, a place to make their own family, their own dreams and memories.

He, William Rupert (not in a hurry to make that too known!) Gile’s had never been more happy, or terrified in his entire 22 years. All because of her, the little spitfire from Tennessee, Elizabeth ‘Buffy’ Summers, who had blown into his simple life. She had changed everything, the draw of the cards; change in the weather; his hardened heart.

Buffy had simply changed his entire life and he would be forever grateful to her and the Powers That Be (had to throw that in there!).

Not even halfway through their supper, Spike noticed that everyone at the table, his Dad, Jennifer, Dawnie and Connor, even carefree Angel, was staring at Buffy and him. They appeared to be waiting for some ‘big’ announcement from the couple.

“Dad,” Spike began carefully, trying to keep the excitement out of his voice, “uhm, Buffy and me,” he looked at Buffy for strength. His heart skipped a beat when she gave him that secret Buffy smile of hers, “Dad, Jennifer, guys,” he looked at his family, all of them. “Buffy has agreed to marry me. Tomorrow, in fact, and…”

Before he could get another word out, the other five people at the table, besides Buffy, of course, leapt out of their seats to throw themselves at the couple. Dawnie had Buffy in practically a head-lock, the Bit was screaming in glee as she hugged her smaller sister and nearly knocked her from her chair. Angel was slapping his older brother on the back, a mischievious grin on his handsome face.

‘Probably wonders if I’ve bedded my innocent Buffy yet,’ Spike smirked to himself. ‘Bloody hell,’ he continued his line of thoughts, ‘he knows I have. I can read it in his eyes.’

Rupert Giles looked like he was about to break out in tears, he was so relieved that his little ‘plan’ had come to fruitation and Jennifer beamed proudly at both Spike and Buffy. Connor just hovered about them both, simply being Connor, a strong young man, with the heart of a poet.

“Tomorrow!” Spike heard Dawn yelp excitedly. “How? There’s so much to do?”

“Well,” Buffy drawled softly, “I know I do not have a proper white wedding dress, but…”

Jennifer broke in, “nonsense. If you need to, or would like to, Buffy dear, my wedding dress is in wonderful condition. We are close in size and I would hate it if you put off the wedding because you don’t have the right wedding attire. Wauneta is a wonder at sewing and altering, she could fix it up in an hour to fit you. Besides, I would be so very happy if you would wear the dress, it would just make me so pleased.”

Buffy felt the sting of tiny tears threatening to slip from her green eyes, “I, I would be honored to wear your dress, Jennifer,” she whispered in awe. “I mean, if that is okay with you. If you are sure?”

Jennifer nodded firmly, “I’m positive.”

She looked at William who was watching her, carefully, that William look on his face. It was the one that she had seen the first time their eyes met, the one she had fallen in love with.

Dawn piped in, “there’s not flowers in the gardens, but perhaps we could put some kind of a wedding bouquet together, Buffy.” Her younger sister’s blue eyes shined with love and happiness for her and Buffy had to reach out to hug the dark haired girl, lovingly.

Rupert, always the voice of reason, chimed in, “might be a bit of a problem with the ceremony, though.” The Gile’s patriach seemed to scrunch up his handsome face just a little as he pondered ‘that’ dilema.

“Why’s that, dear,” Jennifer asked anxiously.

“Well,” Rupert continued, “that pompous wanker, Reverend Caleb Montgomery. You know what a pious fool he can be. He might throw a crook in the children’s happy plans. He’s always resented William, for Finn’s sake, I suppose.”

Everyone kind of sighed, all at once, in dissapointed frustration.

“Well, hell, Dad,” Angel chuckled, “we’ll just put a gun to the idiot’s head and make him say the words over Buffy and Spike, why I’ll…”

Jennifer scowled at her son, “Liam Giles,” she muttered in exasperation, “you’ll do no such thing. My Lord, putting a gun to a Minister’s head and trying to force wedding words from him. Rupert, what are we going to do with this boy?”

The Mother pointed at her ‘Angel’ with an oddly mixed expression of exasperation, pride and love.

“Well,” Rupert hesitated, “Montgomery is a fool, but we certainly can’t shoot the man.”

Buffy gave Spike a desperate look, apparently the thought of anyone trying to halt their ultimate happiness was quite the shock to both of them.

‘Could tell that bloody ponce, Reverend Montgomery, that I’ve compromised Buffy’s virtue. He’d have to marry us then, eh?’ Spike reasoned.

However, vocally, he said simply, “what about Ethan Rayne? As Mayor of Cheyenne, he has the right to marry us, doesn’t he, Dad?”

Rupert grinned widely, “yes he does, son. More then the right, it’s his duty in most cases. I don’t know how many marriages my good friend Ethan has performed. Why, he married Xander and Anya Harris, when that nitwit Reverend of ours would not.”

“I would like Ethan and Cordelia at the ceremony, anyway,” Buffy murmered softly. “Cordelia knew right off that Will and I were meant for each other. She must attend. She, the Osbournes and the Harris’s, of course.”

William took her hand in his and kissed it tenderly, “you are one hell of woman Buffy Summers,” he whispered as he gazed into her eyes lovingly.

“Yours, always,” she mouthed to him.

“Always, yours,” he mouthed back with a happy grin.

“Oh I don’t know about the Reverend, Spike, Miss Summers,” Connor suddenly chimed in. “Can I call you Buffy, now, Miss Summers,” the youngest Gile’s asked shyly, “I mean, since you’re going to be my sister and all?”

Buffy grinned and nodded warmly. Connor grinned himself then continued, “Reverend Montgomery, me and him, we talked some when we went to get Buffy from Webster. He was really worried about you Miss…Buffy, I mean. And Spike, too. The Reverend was worried about both of you, very much. I think he would marry you tomorrow, just ask him.”

Everyone at the table gaped at Connor, their mouths wide open in surprise at the normally quiet young man.

“Thank you, Connor,” Buffy smiled, “we will ask Reverend Montgomery to give the ceremony.” Connor grinned widely and gave Spike his patent worshipful look.

After everyone had gone to bed, more then prepared for the big Spike and Buffy day tomorrow, Buffy waited until the house was very still. She made her way, silently, to Will’s door and tapped lightly, ‘probably don’t need to bother,’ she mused, ‘I think everyone in this house, including the servants know exactly what’s going on here.

Buffy had thought about keeping with tradition, that the groom did not see the bride on the day of the wedding, at least not until the ceremony itself. However, she had a deep need to be with William tonight and until early in the morning, and he with her.

Oh, it wasn't just about ‘sexual need’ or pleasure. It was more, much more. There was a strong primal urge to be with her soon to be husband, heart, body and soul and it was something that could not be denied, would never be denied again in their lifetime together.

William opened his bedroom door, a dazzling smile on his handsome face, “seemed like forever,” he pouted at her warmly.

“Yes,” she whispered as he allowed him to take her hand and lead her into his room. “It seemed like forever to me too.” They both closed the bedroom door, ever so quietly, behind them.


A/N: Short chapter. The next one will be about the wedding, honeymoon trip (can you guess where our Spike/Buffy will go?) and the reactions of the townspeople! I do appreciate you all who are reading this. Please…Again, thanks for reading, please review, Luv, Spuf